: Made the switch to Rotella...

fubar569
08-31-07, 03:30 PM
Synthetic 5w-40

car seems to like it. runs a little quieter...no loss of power or anything crazy like that...i LOVE the fact it comes in 4qt containers as opposed to 5...i just grab 2 and i still have 1/2 qt left for top off if need be...

cost: 38.xx at walmart with filter

next project: - Dexron VI flush & fill

codewize
08-31-07, 05:08 PM
Why is it that everyone can find Rotella but me. All I see is 15W-40. And I think they're all going to 4qt jugs not from what I see. Funny thing is the price didn't change. And to be honest I don't mind having the extra oil around.

And dude, do not flush your trans just do a drain and fill.

fubar569
08-31-07, 06:44 PM
Why is it that everyone can find Rotella but me. All I see is 15W-40. And I think they're all going to 4qt jugs not from what I see. Funny thing is the price didn't change. And to be honest I don't mind having the extra oil around.

And dude, do not flush your trans just do a drain and fill.

that's what i meant...i was gonna do the method prescribed in the thread to exchange out the old - i also want to change the filters since i have the kit to do so

eldorado1
09-01-07, 01:41 AM
Why is it that everyone can find Rotella but me. All I see is 15W-40.

walmart's got the synthetic stuff... never seen it anywhere else, but never really looked either. Can't get more convenient than walmart.

codewize
09-01-07, 08:58 AM
I have never seen it there. All I see in Wal-Mart is self after self of 15W-40. They have 100k gallons of that but I've never seen any other grade. I'll have to look again.

jadcock
09-01-07, 09:43 AM
Codewise, ask your local Wal-Mart. All mine "had" was the 15W-40 and the synthetic 5W-40. But they had the 10W-30 price tag on the shelf (but no 10W-30 product). An inquiry to one of the tire sales folks uncovered a whole pallet of 10W-30 sitting back there, in 4 quart jugs. Now they've got it out on the shelf! :)

Unfortunate thing is, I only change oil once a year at my mileage. So I hope they still have it out next spring!

fubar569
09-01-07, 01:08 PM
Codewise, ask your local Wal-Mart. All mine "had" was the 15W-40 and the synthetic 5W-40. But they had the 10W-30 price tag on the shelf (but no 10W-30 product). An inquiry to one of the tire sales folks uncovered a whole pallet of 10W-30 sitting back there, in 4 quart jugs. Now they've got it out on the shelf! :)

Unfortunate thing is, I only change oil once a year at my mileage. So I hope they still have it out next spring!

mine did not have the tag or the product :( they suck at life...

jadcock
09-01-07, 09:36 PM
they suck at life...

Interesting side discussion...Wal-Mart is about the only place I'll go anymore. We've had repeated customer service problems at both Target and Circuit City. Neither store would take a product back (with receipt) that was either opened or past some receipt "expiration date". We once tried to return non-op Christmas lights at Target...that were TARGET BRAND...and they wouldn't take them in.

Wal-Mart seems to be the only store that hasn't screwed us over in the customer service department. It's even halfway possible to buy a lot of "Made in USA" items there, if you look hard enough. :thumbsup:

Patrick7997
09-06-07, 05:45 PM
My Wal-Mart has the 15w40 and the 5w40 synthetic.... they do not have the 10w30 Rotella though.... I asked, they never heard of it.

Mine's been running great on the 15w40 Rotella. Over a year now, several changes.... I'm sticking with it.

And yeah, with the front on ramps, you get a real complete drain. 2 1-gallon jugs is perfect.

A poster named Chevelle had a great post a year or two ago, about why Rotella 15w40 would be good in an older Northstar, so I tried it. My car loves it...