: 2004 Crown Vic.

156MPH
04-19-04, 12:09 AM
The Department I work for just replaced my 2003 9C1 Impala for a 2004 P71 Crown Vic. I Hate it so far, last night was the first night...Feels heavy. I'll post some pics soon. The seating postion really sucks...I keep you all informed. Eric

Ralph
04-19-04, 01:39 AM
Personally, I think the larger C vickey is ideally suited for police work. Being a heavier vehicle may come in handy if you have to use it as a battering ram, or "knock" a heavier vehicle off the road, etc. I think the Crown also has a higher top end? How are you going to catch those Camaros and Mach 1's with a V6 Impala? How about the new supercharged SS Impalas, do any departments use these?

I never liked the seats on my Grand M., too damn soft, and no support. However, it had a ride as smooth as glass.

Caddy Man
04-19-04, 01:52 AM
i think the crown vics look hell of a lot better than the newer impalas

Mikethegreeat
04-19-04, 02:21 AM
they should use 300Cs as police cruisers! BTW how well does the new cop car pull compared to the impala

davesdeville
04-19-04, 05:54 PM
They should use the 300cs, they're not too much more than a crown vic. I'd rather run from a vic than a 300c.

The impala police cars are wussy little things. An indian-police impala tried to pull my friends brother over, we just kept going with no fear of that weeniemobile (no offense to the oscar meyer weener-mobile), or the "cop" for that matter.

Vesicant
04-19-04, 08:03 PM
They should use the 300cs, they're not too much more than a crown vic. I'd rather run from a vic than a 300c.

The impala police cars are wussy little things. An indian-police impala tried to pull my friends brother over, we just kept going with no fear of that weeniemobile (no offense to the oscar meyer weener-mobile), or the "cop" for that matter.And you never got in trouble for this? What did you do, floor it and leave the cop for dust? That usually WONT happen. :canttalk:

They will chase you, evading a cop is not good ; even if they are in an impala. :tisk:

156MPH
04-20-04, 06:22 PM
We have drag raced the two cars against eachother.the Impala is right with the Vic,I chose it because it is more nimble in the intercity driving. The department would not go with the police Intrepid,faster than all of them.Ford claims the new Crown Vic has the same Torque as the 96 9c1 Caprice ..did'nt feel like it to me.the Caprice was a kickass squad that could chase down almost anything.It only took FORD 8 years to match the 9c1....now if ford put the 300ish hp Marauder motor in the p71 or a 351.....tat would be nice.

davesdeville
04-20-04, 06:38 PM
And you never got in trouble for this? What did you do, floor it and leave the cop for dust? That usually WONT happen. :canttalk:

They will chase you, evading a cop is not good ; even if they are in an impala. :tisk:

Did you even read my post? I wouldn't get in much trouble because as I said I wasn't driving, and the driver didn't pull over because it was an indian reservation police car.

BeelzeBob
04-20-04, 07:27 PM
Easy, easy... I'm moving this to the Lounge since it's got nothing to do with being a Kill Story or a Race Video...

Msilva954
04-20-04, 08:11 PM
The state troopers in south florida use mainly 2002 SS's and they bought a new batch of 2003 Mauraders.....cant even tell if there cops or not.

156MPH
04-20-04, 08:47 PM
must be nice!!!

catbert
04-20-04, 09:24 PM
The Department I work for just replaced my 2003 9C1 Impala for a 2004 P71 Crown Vic. I Hate it so far, last night was the first night...Feels heavy. I'll post some pics soon. The seating postion really sucks...I keep you all informed. Eric

They are pigs - even the Marauder handled like it was engineered in the 80's....which it was. You can only do so much to that old hardware. They can't firm it up enough to make it really handle without making it impossible to pull an 8 hour shift in it without getting beat to death. Ford really needs to update the platform for that rig....IMHO :drinker

ShadowLvr400
04-20-04, 09:48 PM
I say a custom vehicle for cops. With all the extra crap in the trunks, the basic 4.6 just isn't gonna cut it. I say the s/c 5.4 from the Lightning shoved into something like the Vics. As it is now, only 1 cop car makes me nervous, and that's the SS Camaro's FHP runs heavily. Outrun the Vic before, with a Caprice next to me. :) But damn FHP Camaro whipped down of I-95. Dangit. But he was a cool cop.

You know, actually looking at things, the number of vehicles that can outrun the Vic is getting pretty scary... Even some of the quicker Accords, Altimas, Maximas can make the Vic work hard. It's a bit bothersome to me, when at least one model trim in better than half of the CARS (exclude vans, trucks, suv's) can make a Vic work for it.

Playdrv4me
04-20-04, 10:09 PM
They are pigs - even the Marauder handled like it was engineered in the 80's....which it was. You can only do so much to that old hardware. They can't firm it up enough to make it really handle without making it impossible to pull an 8 hour shift in it without getting beat to death. Ford really needs to update the platform for that rig....IMHO :drinker

Man no way.... Two Words... POLICE INTERCEPTOR. You can talk down the Crown Vic all you guys want, but I ALWAYS saw it as a sign of a Police Force with MORE money when they are outfitted with those AGGRESIVE Crown Vic Police Cars. All of our cops in Wichita drive those wussy Impala things too and I always think "I wonder if there is penis envy between them and the Highway Patrol that still get to drive the souped up Crown Vics and take them home every night". If I was a cop there is no way Id ever choose the Impala over the Crown Vic, a pig of a car it might be, but it LOOKS and FEELS solid as a damn rock, and says "dont mess with this". I know my old home town of San Antonio has Crown Vics all over the place still. That being said... YES the platform could DEFINITELY stand some serious updating. The only drawback is you might have a little fire if you get hit in the back :p

I remember I was watching cops last night from like 89, and of all the atrocities in the world... they (dont remember what town it was,maybe Pittsburgh) had 80's Bonnevilles and Delta 88's (or whichever the more modern V6 delta was)!! And back THEN they could have gone with the big daddy Caprice.

One things for sure, if youre in ANY one of those cars, odds are Ill see you LOOONG before you ever see me. I have the sillhouettes of those three vehicles (Impala, Crown Vic and Caprice) burned into my head, even the night time head and tail light patterns. Radar detectors my a*ss.

Ralph
04-21-04, 04:43 AM

Go back a little further than that, try 1970's! Based on the LTD if I'm not mistaken. The beauty of the Crown Vickey is that the "old hardware" or engineering makes them cheaper to acquire and fix.

The RCMP drive Vics in larger centers, but back in my hometown I was shocked to see them using the new Impalas, and an Intrepid. There is still nothing more intimidating than 4,000 pounds of American steel hogging and owning the highway!! Especially in YOUR rear view mirror!!

Let me be the first to predict that many departments will be using the new Ford 500 in the near future.

Caddy Man
04-21-04, 12:05 PM
the crown vic might be an old platform, but its been tested and is tried and true...thats the reason the full frame RWD american car lasts much longer than POS fwd cars like the Impala. That type of setup has been around for leik 40 years, so they prefected it almost. Why do you think the 96 Fleetwoods are so much more reliable tahn the other caddys? Well engine is one reason, but the basic design is tried and true. If it aint broke, dont fix it. :)

CoupeDevilleRob
04-21-04, 05:11 PM
I heard that Chrysler is developing a police package for the 300C at the request of the California Highway Patrol and Michigan State Police. Put the Hemi in a stripped down version and thats a police car. Too bad its butt ugly.

Msilva954
04-21-04, 07:16 PM
Dodge has a package coming out for the Magnum called the "Enforcer" hopefully it has the Hemi and not that 250hp V6,though that is almost as fast as the Crown Vic. In Davie florida some of the guys drive Durangos..

RBraczyk
04-21-04, 11:27 PM
With all the chrome on the front of the new interceptors they aren't hard to find. I spotted one tonight when i was in my dads denali doing 80, left a dookie in my pants though. Scary, but easy to see at night.

inmycadillac
04-22-04, 04:43 PM
up here we got impalas and crown vics

RBraczyk
04-22-04, 05:14 PM
We also have impalas in NH. And expeditions, explorers, durangos, tahoes, silverado's.

CoupeDevilleRob
04-22-04, 08:59 PM
In New York they have a few Explorers assigned to regular patrol duty. They have Excursions and Suburbans too, but they are only used by the Mounted Unit (good to tow the horsies with) and Emergency Service Unit (good to hold all the machine guns). And of the course the requisite Impalas and Crown Vics.

Night Wolf
04-22-04, 11:03 PM
They mostly use the Crowns here... a few Expeditions....

my grand father recently got a 2002 Grand Marquis.... it is a really nice car, and I like it alot... dons't have the pull of my fathers '99 Grand Prix GTP, but in a differnt class....

the Police Interceptors are nice too, that is what they use here.....

....even if the cops were driving Chevettes, you may be able to out run one cop, but you can't outrun Motorola.... or a sweet Bell Ranger (look it up if you don't know what it is)

the new Impala's aren't too bad... I kinda of like their styling.... I just see soo many Crown Vics around here, I know the exact style of them, and headlight and tail light pattern at night so it is easy to spot.... still, even though my grand fathers car is that old person light(ish) blue (nice color though) and is a Mercury, EVERYONE hits their breaks when they see us, or slows down, or keeps their distance on the highway etc... it is actually a neat thing to witness....

Playdrv4me
04-22-04, 11:36 PM
They mostly use the Crowns here... a few Expeditions....

my grand father recently got a 2002 Grand Marquis.... it is a really nice car, and I like it alot... dons't have the pull of my fathers '99 Grand Prix GTP, but in a differnt class....

the Police Interceptors are nice too, that is what they use here.....

....even if the cops were driving Chevettes, you may be able to out run one cop, but you can't outrun Motorola.... or a sweet Bell Ranger (look it up if you don't know what it is)

the new Impala's aren't too bad... I kinda of like their styling.... I just see soo many Crown Vics around here, I know the exact style of them, and headlight and tail light pattern at night so it is easy to spot.... still, even though my grand fathers car is that old person light(ish) blue (nice color though) and is a Mercury, EVERYONE hits their breaks when they see us, or slows down, or keeps their distance on the highway etc... it is actually a neat thing to witness....

Yup, this is the only reason id drive a BASE, White Impala for like... 4 minutes. Just long enough to get on the highway and become the traffic leader :p

Seriously though, me and my friends always talk about how Ford should never have sold Crown Vics and Marquis' to the public cause so many people have them on the highway and from a mile away you cant tell whose in there!! LOL

_hp_
04-23-04, 11:46 AM
Around here we have NO Intrepids, all Crown Vics, one or two Explorers. The State police has a few blue unmarked Mustangs roaming the highways...

90devilleguy
04-25-04, 01:49 AM
In Framingham they have Crown Vics, Explorers, Harleys and Expeditions. The Staties have Crown Vics and Unmarked Interpids, i've even seen a brand new unmarked Mustang Cobra on the Mass Pike.I have a friend who works for the FBI and he gets a 2003 Buick Regal GS as a work car. Not S/C though but still fast he says, the other thing that i have noticed that the cops in Framingham have is the new crusiers have hubcaps where as all the other cruisers don't have them, wonder how long those will last on the cars.

Yaemish
04-26-04, 07:50 PM
In Upstate NY we got 4 wheel drive Durangos and rear wheel drive Tahoes.

Jesda
04-26-04, 10:51 PM
Sheridan Wyoming uses Dodge Neons LOL! (Not the SRT-4)

156MPH
04-26-04, 11:18 PM
Really? Oh My God.........

90devilleguy
04-26-04, 11:55 PM
Sheridan Wyoming uses Dodge Neons LOL! (Not the SRT-4)

what were the last cruisers? 1967 dodge coronets i hope not.

D148L0
05-14-04, 10:55 AM
Forget about american police cars... see what they got in Italy!!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1756&e=3&u=/040513/481/rom12005131656

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040513/capt.rom12005131656.italy_police_supercar_rom120.j pg

RBraczyk
05-14-04, 08:43 PM
In Framingham they have Crown Vics, Explorers, Harleys and Expeditions. The Staties have Crown Vics and Unmarked Interpids, i've even seen a brand new unmarked Mustang Cobra on the Mass Pike.I have a friend who works for the FBI and he gets a 2003 Buick Regal GS as a work car. Not S/C though but still fast he says, the other thing that i have noticed that the cops in Framingham have is the new crusiers have hubcaps where as all the other cruisers don't have them, wonder how long those will last on the cars.
Don't forget mass staties have Ford broncos too.

Caddy Man
05-16-04, 02:04 AM
Here the Michigan State Police use crown vics and the older style tahoe (mid 90's). Crown Vics are most common here, although in certain cities you occasionally see an Impala. Ive only seen 2 intrepids here. And they use explorers.

airbalancer
05-16-04, 08:35 AM
I am so surprise that everyone is an expert on police cars.156MPH would be the only one, who would which car is best for his job. As he use it everyday.
Really how many times would he chase down someone in is car. He probably more time sit and doing paper work.

Dead Sled
05-17-04, 12:14 AM
:wtf: WTF is the deal with CHiP? why the hell do you need 50 B4C police package Camaros for Comercial Vehice enforcement? The sole purpose of these 150+ mph Camaro is to chace down a 55 mph semis. :rolleyes2 Peoples Republic of California's tax dollars at work

Vesicant
05-17-04, 07:53 PM
Forget about american police cars... see what they got in Italy!!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1756&e=3&u=/040513/481/rom12005131656

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040513/capt.rom12005131656.italy_police_supercar_rom120.j pgLMAO you'd have be insane to think you could outrun that... :drinker

Smokey
05-17-04, 08:55 PM
I started out my LE duties in 1977 and worked my way through the following:
1975 Plymouth Fury - 440 CI
1979 Chrysler Newport - 360 CI
1981 Ford LTD - 302 CI (this was a real dog)
1982 Dodge Dilpomat - 318 CI
1985 Dodge Dilpomat - 318 CI
1989 Checy Impala - 350 CI (had ADS off-road chip and real duals)
1993 Ford C/V - 4.6 L
1996 Ford C/V - 4.6 L
1998 Ford C/V - 4.6 L (unmarked investigator's car with the County Attorney's Office)
Retired in 1999 and I was still driving the '98 C/V

Even though it did not handle or ride that well, the old '75 Fury was my favorite. Maybe it was because it was my first patrol car. :)