: Installing splash guards myself

GerWinnie
08-30-07, 01:34 AM
Yesterday I got original GM Splash Guards (front and rear) from Dealer and installed them.
Like GM Jim posted - no problems on the front.
But rear al little bit more effort at rear - but they are hanging now.
But I have Questions to GM Jim:
On the front I slided the guard behind the liner like instruktions.
Rear I did not slide the guards behind the liner but fastened them upon the liner. Is this ok??
Rear splash guards touch the muffler. I fixed them by sliding a thick folded piece of alu-foil between muffler and guard. Do you think that can be right? If not, how to trim the guards?
I apologise for my german school english and give best regards from germany.
Winnie

GMJim
08-31-07, 07:29 AM
Yesterday I got original GM Splash Guards (front and rear) from Dealer and installed them.
Like GM Jim posted - no problems on the front.
But rear al little bit more effort at rear - but they are hanging now.
But I have Questions to GM Jim:
On the front I slided the guard behind the liner like instruktions.
Rear I did not slide the guards behind the liner but fastened them upon the liner. Is this ok??
Rear splash guards touch the muffler. I fixed them by sliding a thick folded piece of alu-foil between muffler and guard. Do you think that can be right? If not, how to trim the guards?
I apologise for my german school english and give best regards from germany.
Winnie

Yes, behind the w/h liner on the front, on top the liner in the back. I used a hand grinder to trim off corner that touched the muffler. I'm sure a hack saw would work just as well. Good luck, Jim

GerWinnie
08-31-07, 09:34 AM
THX for your answer
Winnie

GerWinnie
09-01-07, 09:13 AM
Well, now I have trimmed the guards. It is easier when carefully prewarmed the flaps by a hair dryer or hot air pistol. Then you can trim the flaps with a normal cutter knife.
I think its a poor service by GM not to add a longer pushpin for the lower rear fix and precut the rear splash guards.
Winnie