: 2004 "Stability System Engaged" Message

JPSRX
08-29-07, 06:34 PM
Can i get some ideas of what could be causing this message to appear on my console? Sometimes i feel a "grind" like the ABS is kicking in, other times the message appears and disappers in 5 seconds. Have had the vehicle in twice already - both times there were no stored codes pointing to an issue. The first time, they reset the codes and the second said the rotors were rusty and replaced them, it was thought that that might be tripping the sensor. Within 5 miles, the light popped on again. It happens when i am on the open road, turning, accelerating - no specific thing sets it off. I have seen some messages regarding a wheel sensor, does this fit the symptoms and is there anything else i can suggest to the dearlership> They seem surprised that it went off again and perplexed as to what to do next!

sgilbert
08-29-07, 07:40 PM
Happened to mine. Seems it was a defective steering sensor (which is in the steering column).

inline6
08-31-07, 12:36 PM
Ditto on the steering sensor.

urbanski
08-31-07, 01:38 PM
steering position sensor. many threads about this. many.

JPSRX
08-31-07, 10:15 PM
OK- sensor was replaced - hopefully that will solve the problem! Thanks for all the help - it would not have been done if not for this site!

AJxtcman
09-01-07, 12:00 AM
Can i get some ideas of what could be causing this message to appear on my console? Sometimes i feel a "grind" like the ABS is kicking in, other times the message appears and disappers in 5 seconds. Have had the vehicle in twice already - both times there were no stored codes pointing to an issue. The first time, they reset the codes and the second said the rotors were rusty and replaced them, it was thought that that might be tripping the sensor. Within 5 miles, the light popped on again. It happens when i am on the open road, turning, accelerating - no specific thing sets it off. I have seen some messages regarding a wheel sensor, does this fit the symptoms and is there anything else i can suggest to the dearlership> They seem surprised that it went off again and perplexed as to what to do next!

You are not getting a Traction Engaged message Correct?
Is it an AWD?
Have the SWPS replaced, but please answer the questions.

NOPISTONS
09-01-07, 04:17 AM
I do get the Traction engaged message and once in awhile service system stability something like that I also feel this weird feeling in the brake pedal like ABS sometimes turning.

JPSRX
09-01-07, 09:00 AM
mine was strictly the message: "stability sys engaged"

JPSRX
09-01-07, 10:04 AM
and yes, it is AWD

AJxtcman
09-01-07, 01:15 PM
I have been working on several TC engaged concerns. I have several SRX's that customers complain about. I can make most every 04 3.6L AWD do it. Some 05 will do it also. This is from a complete stop. The SRX must be stopped for over 45 second and then accelerating.

I know this system very well because of this.

Stability engaged will have nothing to do with a braking or traction system.
Stability system vs ABS/TCS
Stability is all about Yaw and the rate of Yaw vs Steering angle.
ABS and TCS is more straight line issue.
Is you go to a parking lot and do some tight figure 8s. If you accelerate and decelerate you may get a TCS engaged message. From a standing stop start the figure 8 and let the the tire break loose. you will get a TCS message. If you carry some speed in the figure 8s enough to make it have a roll over feel you should still not get a Stability message, because the Yaw, Lat, and SWPS will all show coronating values. If you touch the brake and I don't mean you need to apply them, but just give the Module a brake applied input. You will go into a Stability event.

You can have a Stability Event with no brake input, but you will have a higher Vehicle speed input. If the Module sees you rapidly turning the steering wheel at 45+MPH and the Yaw not changing you will go into a Stability Event. If you had a Yaw input and the Steering angle was not enough to cause loss of control you would not get a Stability Event.
The Yaw, Lat, Long, sensors and ECM are very stable inputs. The SWPS is a rough input, so the doubled it up and they use to signals in one sensor.

Basically the only Sensor that could cause a False Stability Event could be a SWPS. You could have a wire issue or a poor connection on one of the named sensor circuits. A loose connection would cause Static on the circuit.
Try the Figure 8 deal and the light brake input. If that is your sensation I would 89% say it is a SWPS that is intermittently failing.

AJxtcman
09-01-07, 01:18 PM
I do get the Traction engaged message and once in awhile service system stability something like that I also feel this weird feeling in the brake pedal like ABS sometimes turning.

PM me your VIN please. Let me know how the TC event occures. Is it from a long delayed stop?

Zig
04-29-08, 09:18 PM
I have been working on several TC engaged concerns. I have several SRX's that customers complain about. I can make most every 04 3.6L AWD do it. Some 05 will do it also. This is from a complete stop. The SRX must be stopped for over 45 second and then accelerating.

I know this system very well because of this.

Stability engaged will have nothing to do with a braking or traction system.

AJxtcman, did you ever happen to get anywhere with identifying the cause of this problem? My 2006 V8 SRX started doing this about 3 weeks ago (51,000 miles), but doesn't follow your 45 second stop rule. It happens randomly when pulling away from a stop sign or red light on perfectly dry days, but also randomly when I rake the wheels fully to pull into my driveway. When it occurs after a stop, there is a hesitation (like the wheels are actually slipping), but the wheels aren't moving at all. It's so intermittent that I really don't want to take it to the dealer at this time, especially since it's into the extended warranty and I have to pay the deductible. I fully expect that they won't be able to get the problem to occur while they have it.

Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

mjk
04-30-08, 02:26 PM
I get the same message every now and then. It always apeares when I make a tight turn /u-turn and tap on the break. I almost think I can duplicate it if I wnat to. I now remember not to break while making a tight turn, otherwise I get the grind an the stability message.
It usually dissapeares on its own after the turn.

Mentioned it to the service advisor once but they said no codes were stored.

TheLacSRX
12-05-08, 12:50 AM
OK- sensor was replaced - hopefully that will solve the problem! Thanks for all the help - it would not have been done if not for this site!

I'd like to know if the replacement of the sensor worked in your case? My '04 is doing the exact same thing as yours was a few years ago. Also is this something that was expensive to have the dealership replace? I'm mechanically inclined so I may be able to do it myself if someone could tell me where it is approx. where it is located. Thanks in advance.
Stephen

mthake
12-06-08, 01:56 AM
another option here, My steering position sensor was fine, Dealer had to replace one of my front hubs and a speed sensor wiring harness. I had the intermittant abs, tcs and stability, all is well now.:cool:

TheLacSRX
12-08-08, 12:18 PM
I'm thinking it will be just the sensor in my case because I only have the Stability System Engaged message. I'll probaby end up taking it to the dealer to see what they say.

redciv1
12-08-08, 09:50 PM
Well add a new culprit. About a month ago we started getting a clanking sound from the diff area when changing from P to D or R. The dealer replaced a bushing in the rear end. A week or two later the Stability System Engaged message started flashing randomly in a straight line of travel. At the same time we started getting a harsh downshift from 3rd gear on down from the tranny with a clanking noise as it is downshifting. Talked to service manager today and he says it sounds like the beginning of the torque converter ending. He says the SRX was known for this. Any opinions?

TheLacSRX
12-12-08, 02:15 PM
Well add a new culprit. About a month ago we started getting a clanking sound from the diff area when changing from P to D or R. The dealer replaced a bushing in the rear end. A week or two later the Stability System Engaged message started flashing randomly in a straight line of travel. At the same time we started getting a harsh downshift from 3rd gear on down from the tranny with a clanking noise as it is downshifting. Talked to service manager today and he says it sounds like the beginning of the torque converter ending. He says the SRX was known for this. Any opinions?

This is starting to worry me. I noticed recently that when shifting from reverse to drive, accelleration after a slow corner and when cruising (I can let off the gas padal and push on the pedal again) I notice a clunking noise with with any of these events. I have heard about the sporty transmission thing before, but I don't remember our SRX doing this a year ago when we got it ('04 rwd v6). It seems the stability system engaged may have to do with the torque converter according to another post I was reading about downshifting.

nepcar
09-15-09, 12:10 PM
I have a 2004 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD. I have had this STABILITY SYSTEM ENGAGED and SERVICE YOUR STABILITY SYSTEM message come out several times. The following has been done in my car:
1. Replaced the STEERING WHEEL SENSOR
2. Reconnected the Steering Wheel Sensor harness to a different connector.
Problem went away for about a month. The problem has been going on for more a year now. Everytime I take it to the dealer they could not find the problem because the computer does not report a fault code.
The problem happens more in the morning on my drive to work and barely happens in my drive home in the afternoon.
The problem is not only a message coming on in the display. There are time when I will feel my steeing wheel would appear to lock up or swerve to the left at the same time I hear a "grunting" noise from the front of the vehicle.
Has anyone ever found a resolution to this problem?

cadillac05srxpr
09-30-09, 04:53 PM
Good Afternoon,

I have an SRX AWD V8 '05 and have the service TC and stability system engaged messages. My local mechanic tells me it is the EBCM (both of them front and rear) has anyone replaced these modules and know what is the price range? any site i can visit to get them cheap. Thanks!