: Fuel filter removal advice needed

kwaobus
08-29-07, 12:32 PM
So the car has been sluggish on acceleration and I figured it would a be a good thing to clean the carb a little and replace the fuel filter. Well, the fuel filter on the 78 is so tight in between the carb and the compressor, that it is virtually impossible to get a 1" open wrench in there. Is there a special tool needed or do I need to disassemble half the car to get this seemlingly simple job done? :thepan:

jayoldschool
08-29-07, 01:12 PM
Just unbolt the compressor without taking off the lines.

kwaobus
08-29-07, 01:56 PM
thanks jayoldschool, I will try it that way, it should give enough space then to be able to gain good access.

kwaobus
09-04-07, 10:39 PM
update: moved compressor out of the way, had full access, but the nut on the fuel line simply wouldn't turn. Tried WD 40. Then I turned so hard that the wrench slipped over the hexagonal and now the screw is rounded somewhat...damn (I should have used a flare nut wrench!). I think I can still try with a flare nut wrench, but just to make sure, the nut on the fuel line is losened by turning COUNTER CLOCKWISE just like other screws, or is this different thread? Am I turnign the wrong way. Never encountered such a strong nut...:bomb:

Cadillac Giovanni
09-04-07, 10:42 PM
they can be incredibly stubborn. Not much you can do but soak it with penetrating oil and try again. the fitting on my line was rounded quite a bit when i bought the car. the best tool for the job is probably a pair of vice-grip pliers. Also, if you can manage to find some Kimball Midwest penetrating oil, that's the best stuff on the market, beats the hell out of WD-40 or Zep.