: Front Bumper Trim Install Q '95 FWB

theGman
08-28-07, 10:34 PM
I haven't looked closely yet, but I was wondering what is involved with changing the curved rubber guard strip on the left side of the front bumper.

Do you have to drop the bumper?

The '95 is in shop for routine work, so I can't check out easily now.

I was scraped in a parking lot....the bumper is not even damaged; just the rub strip was mangled. I already have the new piece.

Woman driving a big pickup truck at Costco. Ugh.

Thanks,
Paul

scurling
08-28-07, 11:25 PM
I got a new set when I bought my '94 from a dealer. The shop had them installed in minutes, but I didn't watch them. They really dress up the look. I'm afraid to ask what they cost these days.

I've sent a scan of the bumper section. Looks like two guide bins on each end of the strips with a nut on two of the bins. They are most likely plastic, so be careful not to apply too much torque, they may just twist right off.

scurling
08-28-07, 11:28 PM
I've been meaning to ask if anyone has painted the strips, and did any research on the trim paint for the closest match. I think they are grey in color on all models, but a GM paint color code would be good to have for reference.

thanks, Stan

theGman
08-29-07, 07:06 AM
If they installed them in minutes, then it's accessable from below. I bought the new piece (#26); cost about $65.
Got some of the clips also. Since the outside edge is still attached, I'll be careful to remove the old piece so I can use the clip just incase I didn't get enough, etc.

Thanks, Paul

caddycruiser
08-29-07, 02:00 PM
There's little pegs on the back of them, and little twist on nuts that go on behind the bumper to hold them on. Both on our '93 were pretty gouged up, so I bought an aftermarket replacement set off Ebay (China made, I think) that looked and fit identical to OEM.

Took my brother about 20 minutes to get the old off and new on, but just laying on the ground and reaching behind the bumper. Not too hard.