: Discovered Cause of Jack Leak !

DG2
08-28-07, 11:21 PM
After nearly 4 years of owning my SRX I recently noticed the well documented rear jack compartment leak. Was not sure where this was coming from and thought it was do to a new rear hatch rubber seal the dealer had just repalced as the old one had been peeling off. I hit every anagle of the rear hatch, third brake light and Ultraview with a hose and was not able to confirm any leak. I dried the rear carpet and was hoping it was a one time event and then by "accident" I found the reason for the leaking.

Coming home tonight I turned off the AC and only had fresh air coming into the car and the Ultraview open ( it was a clear night about 69 degrees). Drove about 15miles and when I got home I checked the carpet in the rear jack compartment and it had newly formed wetness !!!

The first time I noticed this was just a week ago when I had previosuly been in upstate NY on a long trip. On this trip I often drove with the AC off , only fresh air coming in and the Ultraview open. Upoun removing the third row headrests I noticed that they were damp and quickly learned about this problem from Cadillac Owners Forum. Odd that I never noticed it before but there is no doubt the leak is caused by the mositure in the AC somehow backing out into that area. I will be calling my dealer in the morning.

I hope this helps all of us....

louisn
08-29-07, 08:01 AM
Please keep us informed. SO, You think that when the A/C is OFF the water still in the A/C system is leaking since your SRX is getting wet when the A/c is OFF. I assume it hasn't rained and no other moisture like a carwash has affected your car. FYI, I vaguely remember someone mentioned something about the rear A/C leaking earlier. Good Luck--I hope you're right.

MortnCyn
08-29-07, 08:32 AM
Please keep us informed. SO, You think that when the A/C is OFF the water still in the A/C system is leaking since your SRX is getting wet when the A/c is OFF. I assume it hasn't rained and no other moisture like a carwash has affected your car. FYI, I vaguely remember someone mentioned something about the rear A/C leaking earlier. Good Luck--I hope you're right.You are probably thinking of this post.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/112658-air-conditioning-compressor.html
It is very possible that the rear condenser could be causing the wet carpet problem. One would think GM could figure that out if it is the case.

john d
08-29-07, 04:20 PM
Be interesting to know how many forum members that have the jack leak problem have, or don't have, rear A/C.

john d
08-29-07, 10:25 PM
The A/C unit is on the driver's side in the rear behind the air intake grille.
Could you determine if the water was more abundant on the driver's side carpet of the jack compartment?

z06bigbird
08-29-07, 10:52 PM
Depends which hemisphere he is in. Water flows clockwise in northern. If he is right on equator, it might take dealer even longer to figure it out.

DG2
08-29-07, 11:04 PM
Please keep us informed. SO, You think that when the A/C is OFF the water still in the A/C system is leaking since your SRX is getting wet when the A/c is OFF. I assume it hasn't rained and no other moisture like a carwash has affected your car. FYI, I vaguely remember someone mentioned something about the rear A/C leaking earlier. Good Luck--I hope you're right.

Last night when I made this discovery there was no rain and no car wash. As a matter of fact over the weekend I blasted the rear hatch, rear bumper and Ultraview with a hose and the rear jack area was dry as a bone ! It is definatly associated with the AC system.

Interesting to note that I was out with a co-worker today who also has an SRX. I took a look at her SRX's rear jack compartment and sure enough found it to be wet !! She had no idea about this issue and I am sure many SRX's owners rarely go into the actual jack area. Another friend owns an SRX and I am going to look at theres as well. GM has to know about this...

john d
08-29-07, 11:29 PM
Last night when I was out with a co-worker who also has an SRX. I looked at her SRX's rear jack area and it was wet !!
Too much information ! ! ! ! !

louisn
08-30-07, 09:01 AM
Too much information ! ! ! ! !
Very Good!!!:eek:

john d
08-31-07, 01:52 AM
It is definatly associated with the AC system.
If it is the problem then water should be holding in the rear evaporator case due to a plugged drain hose.
It's easy to check. Look up at the floor pan between the fender and muffler on the driver's side. There are two a/c hoses going in to the passenger compartment (evaporator case) but also a black hose is showing with a squeezed/crimped end that's next to the a/c hoses. Using a long screw driver or wood dowel or similar tool tickle/penetrate the hose but don't penetrate it too far or the evaporator coil might get damaged. If the water is not draining but spilling into the jack area you may get wet! Theory confirmed!
Let us know.

DG2
09-01-07, 01:14 AM
:) I will be taking the SRX to the dealer Tuesday to view the rear condensor and hose as suggested. I will keep you all informed.

louisn
09-04-07, 09:10 PM
:) I will be taking the SRX to the dealer Tuesday to view the rear condensor and hose as suggested. I will keep you all informed.
Any word yet?:bomb:

tomduder
09-05-07, 09:11 AM
I have had the same problem as well. I just had mine into the dealer for an oil change and asked them to check out the rear drain. They found a piece of foam in the end, which I believe was to keep spiders out. It was covered with dust and grime and apparently plugged. They removed the foam, so I will have to see if the problem goes away.

louisn
09-05-07, 03:18 PM
I have had the same problem as well. I just had mine into the dealer for an oil change and asked them to check out the rear drain. They found a piece of foam in the end, which I believe was to keep spiders out. It was covered with dust and grime and apparently plugged. They removed the foam, so I will have to see if the problem goes away.
That is the newest reason the hatches leak. That makes about 6 in total. I've personally had 3 leaks fixed.:alchi:
Any word on the rear air conditioner leak scenerio??

john d
09-05-07, 04:05 PM
Hey DG2 - Just to clarify...it's the "evaporator" not the "condenser".
What did they find?

tomduder
09-05-07, 07:14 PM
I haven't had any water in the rear jack space to be able to confirm or not confirm that the condenser drain for the rear a/c helps. I have noticed that there is quite a bit of water that has been draining in the rear since I have had it checked and cleaned. I am currently vacationing in a humid environment so that would explain the water. But nonetheless, I have not had any water draining before having the dealer check. I will keep you informed.

louisn
09-08-07, 11:21 AM
Finally rained in Arkansas. After 3 fixes, I detected a minute amount of dampness on the carpet around the spare tire again.

john d
09-08-07, 04:29 PM
Finally rained in Arkansas. After 3 fixes, I detected a minute amount of dampness on the carpet around the spare tire again.
Ain't ya'all gittin tiryed of this hear'in sh*t?
Why ain't sum'bdy takin off the rear interor side trim, the hatch interior trim an that thar rear rug and just driven the tin can into the pond with the dealer in the rear watch'in fur the leak?
Git'er done! !

louisn
09-09-07, 09:57 AM
Ain't small gittin tired of this harbin sh*t?
Why ain't somebody taking off the rear interior side trim, the hatch interior trim an that Thar rear rug and just driven the tin can into the pond with the dealer in the rear watchin fur the leak?
Gitter done! !
You missed the mark of excellence in your attempt at a bit sarcastic humor --like GM missed the engineering mark, in an otherwise great crossover, on their SRX rear hatch! Leave that type stuff to the Cable Guy!

MortnCyn
09-09-07, 06:09 PM
louisn: Having lived in central Arkansas (Hot Springs), I feel certain you used your air-conditioning during the dry weather. This would seem to eliminate the air conditioner condenser/evaporator leaking water into the jack area. Would also assume you washed the SRX during that time and it did not leak. It would seem if it gets wet only when it rains there is possibly a leak in the under carriage near the spare tire just below the jack storage area. I had a Buick Rivera that had an under carriage leak that soaked the rear carpet after driving through heavy water on the road. I do not recall that anyone has indicated that the carpet is wet above the jack area, just in the lower part where the jack is stowed. Our '04 did not leak and I did not let them adjust the cable on the hatch since I knew I needed to pull the right side to open the hatch. Out of fear, I do check the '05 on occasion. Still DRY!

john d
09-09-07, 07:53 PM
You missed the mark of excellence in your attempt at a bit sarcastic humor --like GM missed the engineering mark, in an otherwise great crossover, on their SRX rear hatch! Leave that type stuff to the Cable Guy!
louisn - Would you believe I am the "Cable Guy"?
Didn't think so.
Well anyway, lets work on a redneck diagnostic for these leaks.
Try setting the HVAC blower on high with the windows closed and NOT on recirculate.
Then run your hand (cheeks are more sensitive).... (thats face cheeks if you don't want to get arrested) around the hatch seams, roof seems, window seems and everywhere else feeling for the air escaping from the interior.
Might also lay a sheet of toilet paper over the seams and look for flutter,
If that doesn't work fill the interior with smoke then turn on the HVAC and look for smoke signals.
NO, NO..... don't set it on fire...use dry ice in a bucket of water!
I'll look forward to hearing the results.

louisn
09-14-07, 05:45 PM
DG2, What happened at the dealer??? The solution, please?:bonkers:

mayres
09-24-07, 08:39 AM
Is there any new information regarding this leak? I recently purchased a used SRX 2004, love it but was surprised to discover this leak yesterday while checking out this compartment.
mayres

louisn
09-24-07, 01:59 PM
Is there any new information regarding this leak? I recently purchased a used SRX 2004, love it but was surprised to discover this leak yesterday while checking out this compartment.
mayres
Evidently, DG2 has left the building like Elvis w/o telling us about the dealer's solution to his purported rear air conditioner leak into his spare tire area.:tisk: Right now there are at least 6 different sources of leaks in the raer hatch/spare tire area. IMHO, they all leak!

Cadillac Tony
09-25-07, 12:02 PM
The wife's '07 with reconfigurable storage (not the 3rd seat) is dry as a bone. It's been parked outside in some serious rainstorms while we reorganize our garage, and no leaks at all.

It seems to be a problem with some of them, but not all.

GMJim
09-25-07, 12:46 PM
The wife's '07 with reconfigurable storage (not the 3rd seat) is dry as a bone. It's been parked outside in some serious rainstorms while we reorganize our garage, and no leaks at all.

It seems to be a problem with some of them, but not all.

ditto with my 06

louisn
09-25-07, 01:49 PM
Have you folks with no leaks checked under your jacks?

Stoopalini
09-25-07, 03:29 PM
I just bought an '06 on Friday with 24k miles, rear AC and the 3rd row seat. One of the 1st things I checked for was moisture/water/wetness in the jack compartment, and there is absolutely none. The jack has no signs of ever being moist or wet.

So it would stand to reason some do not have the leak. The rear AC condensing is an interesting theory; aren't some of the rear AC components located behind the driver's side rear panel?

Thomas.

john d
09-25-07, 05:07 PM
I just bought an '06 on Friday with 24k miles, rear AC and the 3rd row seat. One of the 1st things I checked for was moisture/water/wetness in the jack compartment, and there is absolutely none. The jack has no signs of ever being moist or wet.

So it would stand to reason some do not have the leak. The rear AC condensing is an interesting theory; aren't some of the rear AC components located behind the driver's side rear panel?
Thomas.
The condenser is what's in front of the radiator under the hood behind the grill.
The "evaporator" is the cold unit that the hot air passes through and is also a dehumidifier. The evaporator has moisture collecting on it like a cold window. The moisture turns to droplets and then puddles in the bottom of the evaporator box. If the drain is plugged it overflows into the passenger compartment and also may develop a moldy smell. The rear a/c evaporator is behind the rear interior trim panel on the drivers side; it drains through the floor above the muffler. Turn the rear blower on high and feel the air being pulled through the air intake grill in the trim panel. The evaporator is in there.

Stoopalini
09-25-07, 07:59 PM
The condenser is what's in front of the radiator under the hood behind the grill.
The "evaporator" is the cold unit that the hot air passes through and is also a dehumidifier. The evaporator has moisture collecting on it like a cold window. The moisture turns to droplets and then puddles in the bottom of the evaporator box. If the drain is plugged it overflows into the passenger compartment and also may develop a moldy smell. The rear a/c evaporator is behind the rear interior trim panel on the drivers side; it drains through the floor above the muffler. Turn the rear blower on high and feel the air being pulled through the air intake grill in the trim panel. The evaporator is in there.

Understood .... by "rear AC condensing" I meant condensation from a rear AC component dripping/draining into the jack compartment. I did remove the rear panel and did see the blower unit, but didn't see the evap unit back there; although I didn't look very hard.

Seems a likely explination for water getting in there

Thomas.

louisn
09-26-07, 12:18 PM
The obvious question is: Has anyone had the wet jack compartment who does not have the rear air conditioner? I'm assuming that it is not standard on all srx's--but I can't remember.

DG2
09-27-07, 07:08 AM
Sorry everyone for not responding sooner. I had my SRX in the dealer to check the rear leak and copied some of the suggestions from some of the posts as it realted to the hose in the rear evaporator. The Cadillac tech checked exactly where I asked him and said that the he did not detect any leak and wanted to pretty much rip up the interior to search for the leak

I am out of warranty (59,000) so I told him to hold off for now. I called around to 5 Cadillac dealerships including the biggest in Metro NYC and LA and none of the techs said they heard of the problem before ! How can that be ?

To my pleasent surprise I get no odor and can assume this area has been wet since I got the car in late '03. So, until I hear a definte cure I will wait until there is a fix and probably just keep driving my SRX. It is driving like new and as much as I am angry about this issue it is a great car. :thumbsup:

drivered
10-05-07, 09:24 AM
Hi guys. New to the SRX forum. I have a CTS-V and had a 97 Jeep Wrangler as a winter car and had enough of the cold winter. Anyway I had been looking around for other cars and made a spur of the moment decision to buy an 04 SRX. It is the N* AWD with 48800 miles. I have just a little time to make sure everything is all right under warranty. While looking at the car the salesman (at a BMW dealership) was trying to figure out the 3rd row seat we opened up the jack hatch and discovered about 3 inches of standing water. Their response was of course "Somone must have left the hatch open". They took it and cleaned it up and "dried" it out (carpet still damp). I had them write into the contract that there was water and if it still persisted it would be fixed or I could bring it back. That night luckily I had it outside and it rained and I check it the next day and it was noticebly worse. I took the rear trim off and lifted the back end of the carpet up and it was saturated like a wet sponge-squeeze and water would flow out. I talked to them and they said they will certainly get it fixed and replace the carpet (I have t make sure it is done) or I could just return it and get my Jeep back. I was guessing that a drain channel was clogged or a seal was damaged. Everyone is talking about an A/C leak, but in my case there is no way (especially since it was just sitting on a lot), too much water. In your opinion what is it and will a fix and carpet replacement be ok. Sorry for the long post and if I jacked the thread. Bryan

louisn
10-05-07, 02:28 PM
Hi guys. New to the SRX forum. I have a CTS-V and had a 97 Jeep Wrangler as a winter car and had enough of the cold winter. Anyway I had been looking around for other cars and made a spur of the moment decision to buy an 04 SRX. It is the N* AWD with 48800 miles. I have just a little time to make sure everything is all right under warranty. While looking at the car the salesman (at a BMW dealership) was trying to figure out the 3rd row seat we opened up the jack hatch and discovered about 3 inches of standing water. Their response was of course "Somone must have left the hatch open". They took it and cleaned it up and "dried" it out (carpet still damp). I had them write into the contract that there was water and if it still persisted it would be fixed or I could bring it back. That night luckily I had it outside and it rained and I check it the next day and it was noticebly worse. I took the rear trim off and lifted the back end of the carpet up and it was saturated like a wet sponge-squeeze and water would flow out. I talked to them and they said they will certainly get it fixed and replace the carpet (I have t make sure it is done) or I could just return it and get my Jeep back. I was guessing that a drain channel was clogged or a seal was damaged. Everyone is talking about an A/C leak, but in my case there is no way (especially since it was just sitting on a lot), too much water. In your opinion what is it and will a fix and carpet replacement be ok. Sorry for the long post and if I jacked the thread. Bryan
There are at least 5-6 possible causes of the leak. I've had 3 of them fixed and I'm dry for about 3 months. There is also a few other threads on this issue--one was VERY long. The carpet replacement is a must--but that doesn't cure the problem. I've always thought they all leak except most owners never look.:banghead:

louisn
10-05-07, 02:34 PM
Sorry everyone for not responding sooner. I had my SRX in the dealer to check the rear leak and copied some of the suggestions from some of the posts as it realted to the hose in the rear evaporator. The Cadillac tech checked exactly where I asked him and said that the he did not detect any leak and wanted to pretty much rip up the interior to search for the leak

I am out of warranty (59,000) so I told him to hold off for now. I called around to 5 Cadillac dealerships including the biggest in Metro NYC and LA and none of the techs said they heard of the problem before ! How can that be ?

To my pleasent surprise I get no odor and can assume this area has been wet since I got the car in late '03. So, until I hear a definte cure I will wait until there is a fix and probably just keep driving my SRX. It is driving like new and as much as I am angry about this issue it is a great car. :thumbsup:
I would argue that it is a warranty item since it is a "hidden" factory defect and should therefore be coverered. It's obviously been leaking since NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:want:

TSS
10-08-07, 11:13 AM
Just a related FYI.

This weekend we had guests in from out of town. They had an 07 Chevy Equinox as a rental. Guess what? When I was tinkering around with it, as I always do with vehicles I am not familiar with, I opened up the jack area in the cargo area (similar set up as the SRX, but the spare tire itself is actually back there too) and it had standing water. So, this option is not only available to lucky SRX owners. THANKFULLY, my 06 was always bone dry.

KF3CD
03-05-08, 08:10 PM
I just bought a Cadillac Certified 05 SRX with 20,000 miles, I love this car! I looked at a few and had read about the leak in the jack area and almost everyone I looked at, was wet or damp, one 04 had about a 1/2 inch of standing water and a very rusty jack. The SRX I bought only had a very slight trace amount of dampness, barely noticable...probably because it had been sitting on the dealers lot for a few months and hadn't been driven. I drove it today for the first time in heavy rain (no A/C on) and when I reached my destination, I checked and it was soaking wet! Didn't think to check before I started driving but it wasn't wet 2 days ago, I am fairly confident it happens when driving in the rain. Years ago I had a Dodge Intrepid that did the same thing. The dealer fix/service bulletin was simply to put black windshield type adhesive in between the seam between the wheel well and fender lip and that fixed it. No idea where the water is coming from on the SRX, hope it's an easy fix, it's going back to the dealer next week. The service manager was not aware of this problem so I am going to try and provide as documentation as possibe. Has anyone successfully fixed the problem? or discovered that it happens when driving in the rain?

john d
03-06-08, 01:18 AM
I just bought a Cadillac Certified 05 SRX with 20,000 miles, I love this car! I looked at a few and had read about the leak in the jack area and almost everyone I looked at, was wet or damp, one 04 had about a 1/2 inch of standing water and a very rusty jack. The SRX I bought only had a very slight trace amount of dampness, barely noticable...probably because it had been sitting on the dealers lot for a few months and hadn't been driven. I drove it today for the first time in heavy rain (no A/C on) and when I reached my destination, I checked and it was soaking wet! Didn't think to check before I started driving but it wasn't wet 2 days ago, I am fairly confident it happens when driving in the rain. Years ago I had a Dodge Intrepid that did the same thing. The dealer fix/service bulletin was simply to put black windshield type adhesive in between the seam between the wheel well and fender lip and that fixed it. No idea where the water is coming from on the SRX, hope it's an easy fix, it's going back to the dealer next week. The service manager was not aware of this problem so I am going to try and provide as documentation as possibe. Has anyone successfully fixed the problem? or discovered that it happens when driving in the rain?
It leaks while just setting in the rain.
Three sources my dealer fixed (3 trips): 2 body seams were open they're located between the two top hatch hinges; open body seams in back of tail lights AND the worse from the top rack rear mounting holes in the top.
All three ran into the jack "well".
Required removal of the interior trim to get to the taillights and top rack holes.