: 18 inch polished wheels

corvette00
08-28-07, 11:09 AM
My 07 STS has the 18 inch polished wheels. These wheels have a very cloudy finish (almost a goldish tint) and do not shine very well. I realize these are polished wheels and not chrome, but a do think the finish should not be cloudy. I hand wash my vehicle once or twice a week so the brake dust does not build-up. I showed the wheels to my local dealer and they did not seem to think it was a problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Curious George
08-29-07, 04:02 PM
Nope. The wheels should have a clearcoat protecting the polished aluminum. Is your clearcoat damaged?

corvette00
08-30-07, 09:26 AM
No,

The wheels just look cloudy, and the clearcoat does not look real even. My Corvette wheels almost look chrome from a distance

dkozloski
08-31-07, 03:57 PM
I doubt if the dealer will do anything for you but there are shops around that can give you the look you want in exchange for lots of money.

robert
09-01-07, 06:37 PM
I have a 2005 STS, 1SG pkg. with 18 inch wheels. Wheels are a medium luster so I purchased a FLITZ drill attachment for a cordless drill. I attached the FLITZ to my drill and applied MOTHERS metal polish on the flitz and I polished all of my wheels and they look 100 percent brighter. They sparkle in sunlight as good as the chrome wheels or in my opinion they sparkle even a little more than the chrome wheels. I am very satisfied with my polished wheels. If you want brighter, sparkling wheels, try it and I think you will agree with me.

VA Maddog
09-03-07, 02:24 PM
I have also used the Mothers Aluminum wheel polish with good results on the 18" polished aluminum wheels from the 1SG package.

It is a good product even if you simply apply it by hand via elbow grease. The brake dust really seems to wash off much easier once you apply this product, water spray will just about rinse it off.

The problem I have is that my wheels were not carefully cared for during the first two years of this cars service life, so there are a few small knicks and some tar like spots that do not want to come off. But the Mothers polish has made them look much better. It is just an imperfection I have to live with.