: 307 out, 350 going in.....

gdorell
08-28-07, 08:51 AM
since i have a 350 out of a 90 2x4 pickup laying around, ive decided to put it in my 89 bro.

i have the whole wiring harness and computer, along with most of the accessories.

but i do have a few small issues i want ot work out before i proceed that maybe you guys can help with:

1. the fuel pump, since this is a tbi im guessing the easiest thing to do is get a pump for a 91-93 bro and put it in the tank.

2. will the current y-pipe bolt up to the 350 manifolds?

3. i havent measured yet but im thinking i will need a crossmember from a 350 donor car for the trans mount. along with the driveshaft.

Destroyer
08-28-07, 09:17 AM
since i have a 350 out of a 90 2x4 pickup laying around, ive decided to put it in my 89 bro.

i have the whole wiring harness and computer, along with most of the accessories.

but i do have a few small issues i want ot work out before i proceed that maybe you guys can help with:

1. the fuel pump, since this is a tbi im guessing the easiest thing to do is get a pump for a 91-93 bro and put it in the tank.

2. will the current y-pipe bolt up to the 350 manifolds?

3. i havent measured yet but im thinking i will need a crossmember from a 350 donor car for the trans mount. along with the driveshaft.Fuel pump from a '91-'93 will work fine. I dont know if the Y pipe will bolt on to the truck manifolds but I will tell you that they will bolt up to a 3rd gen Camaro manifold for sure as its the same manifold the '91-92 SBC Fleetwoods came with. Might want to compare the truck manifold to the Camaro ones.

gdorell
08-28-07, 09:44 AM
you know i didnt even give the camaro a thought. i think the local junk yard has a set of both. have to check them out.

and i am assuming that the motor mounts dont need to be changed. they should line right up, correct?

My_favorite_Brougham
08-28-07, 10:26 AM
I am assuming that the motor mounts dont need to be changed. they should line right up, correct?

Well the '89 had the Olds engine, so I'm thinking you might need the mounts from a '91-'92 305cui or '90-'92 350cui (Chevy engines), as Broughams had Olds engines from '86 to '90.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Greg

gdorell
08-28-07, 10:33 AM
yes it is an olds engine unfortunately....but i thought the mounts on the 307 were the same as the 305/350 chevys. must have been my wishful thinking...lol

My_favorite_Brougham
08-28-07, 10:38 AM
Well, from what I here around the 5.0/5.7 forums, they may not be. I suggest you check there. There are many folks with both Chevy and Olds 5.0L engines. They'd probably know best. I, personally, would find an Olds 350 or 403, but that's just me. However, if you're dropping in a Chevy engine anyway, I'd go for an LT1. But nevermind; you already have an engine. Good luck with it, though. And show pictures of the engine bay when she's all done.

Good luck (again)!

Destroyer
08-28-07, 01:23 PM
yes it is an olds engine unfortunately....but i thought the mounts on the 307 were the same as the 305/350 chevys. must have been my wishful thinking...lol
I dont believe they are the same. Again,you can use Fbody motor mounts (amazing how many GM parts interchange). Frame mounts may be another issue (where the motor mount bolts to the frame) but you should have two sets of holes.

gdorell
08-28-07, 01:57 PM
I dont believe they are the same. Again,you can use Fbody motor mounts (amazing how many GM parts interchange). Frame mounts may be another issue (where the motor mount bolts to the frame) but you should have two sets of holes.

thats not a problem. if i have to modify the original frame mounts then i will. seems like more trouble going to chevy engine, but i have this setup in my 94 pickup and its been strong and never let me down so id go the extra mile and have peice of mind. plus at this point i know it like the back of my hand :)

MadCaddie69
08-29-07, 08:55 AM
I'm doing pretty much the same thing for my 90. I need to now. My car won't start.

gdorell
08-29-07, 10:12 AM
did you keep the tbi setup?

MadCaddie69
08-29-07, 12:00 PM
I gotta find one first. I'm going crazy right now... I can't stand not driving my car.:rant2: