: Oil pressure Sending Unit

bobbyric1
08-27-07, 10:47 PM
Can anyone tell me where the oil pressure sending unit is located on the 4.6 Northstar engine, and can I replace it myself?

Rolex
08-27-07, 10:56 PM
:welcome: to the forums my friend. Please take a second to orient yourself to the forums. The lounge is for introductions and non-technical information only. Please select the forum for your specific make vehicle and post technical questions. They'll get answered quicker. ;)

I moved your thread to the Northstar Technical Forum. :wave:

Zorb750
08-27-07, 11:23 PM
It's on passenger's side of the oil filter adapter plate. It's not too bad to get at. I made a special tool just for it.

Don't forget, it's a tapered, self sealing pipe thread. It will get tighter and tighter as you go, yet will continue to turn. Do not overtighten it! Also, do not use additional thread sealant compound or tape!

Ranger
08-28-07, 12:59 AM
It is not a sending unit. It is just an ON/OFF switch that triggers the low oil pressure warning I believe.

Zorb750
08-28-07, 02:34 AM
It is not a sending unit. It is just an ON/OFF switch that triggers the low oil pressure warning I believe.

Incorrect. It's got both a pressure and a temperature sensor in there.

I did actually disassemble the old unit too when I chanced mine, out of simple curiosity. Think about it... 15 psi @ 5000 RPM will be wonderful for your engine. It would have to be more than a simple switch.

Seriously, the low oil pressure light is dynamic, in that it changes activation point by RPM. Ex. 15 psi doesn't trip it at idle, but it does at 3000 RPM.

Ranger
08-28-07, 11:15 AM
Seriously, the low oil pressure light is dynamic, in that it changes activation point by RPM. Ex. 15 psi doesn't trip it at idle, but it does at 3000 RPM.
Good point.