: Buffalo Wild Wings

99esteees
08-27-07, 11:29 PM
So I went there to eat before my Brad Paisley concert last night in Tinley Park. Got there and ordered a Bud Light Draft. The waiter asked my fiance if she was 21 and she told him no, she was 20. He then told me he couldn't serve me because she was under 21 and they have been busted before because of people letting others drink.

Anyone ever heard of this? I'm still shocked.

Spyder
08-27-07, 11:33 PM
Sounds like a crock of sheeeeit...BUT, right to refuse service of alcohol to anyone, for any reason. Nothing you can do about it except for don't go back.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-07, 11:33 PM
Yep, the same thing happened at our national meet back in May. We went to a local bar in downtown Des Moines, everyone except me was of age, now I'm 20, but I look like I'm about 17, so of course, I get carded. I tell the waitress "I don't have it on me, it's in my hotel room, I'm sorry". She tells the entire group that if she sees me drink any liquor, she'll kick our entire group out. Needless to say, she didn't get tipped very well that night if I'm not mistaken.

99esteees
08-27-07, 11:38 PM
Yeah it's BS on both parts. The people that ruin it for others and them for enforcing it. I badly wanted to not tip the guy and tell him to thank his manager but I got to thinking about it and he just looked like a high schooler trying to earn some money so I gave him my normal tip.

derrty_deville
08-27-07, 11:55 PM
BS. Last time I was at BWW the waitress was getting me free drinks.

99esteees
08-27-07, 11:57 PM

I've never had that problem here either. They waiter said it wasn't their rule, but the same at all of them now. I told him that's not true. Eh, whatever. I'm just glad I don't live there.

Rolex
08-27-07, 11:59 PM
Last time I went to BWW I got MAJOR food poisoning from the fried shrimp basket. It was an emetic and cathartic all in one deep-fat-fried bundle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/shtf.gif & :vomit:

Spyder
08-28-07, 02:57 AM
Yep, the same thing happened at our national meet back in May. We went to a local bar in downtown Des Moines, everyone except me was of age, now I'm 20, but I look like I'm about 17, so of course, I get carded. I tell the waitress "I don't have it on me, it's in my hotel room, I'm sorry". She tells the entire group that if she sees me drink any liquor, she'll kick our entire group out. Needless to say, she didn't get tipped very well that night if I'm not mistaken.
Soooooooo you're NOT twenty one and you tried to order drinks. The server did his job. The server kept himself from getting whacked with a HUGE fine and no job. The server followed the company policy and the states law, and yet you hold those things against him and don't tip him? THAT, my friend, is bullshit. THAT is why the original poster was not allowed to order a drink for himself.

Yeah it's BS on both parts. The people that ruin it for others and them for enforcing it. I badly wanted to not tip the guy and tell him to thank his manager but I got to thinking about it and he just looked like a high schooler trying to earn some money so I gave him my normal tip.
Badly wanted to be an a-hole because he was following the company policy, doing his job and following the law? Ok. Sure makes sense to me. Hell, might as well FIRE him for DOING HIS JOB.

And next time you went she was probably fired. Corporate joints rarely are given permission to give free drinks. Happens all the time, I know. I've done it a few times and seen it done many times, but it sure isn't something that's suggested or allowed.

I've never had that problem here either. They waiter said it wasn't their rule, but the same at all of them now. I told him that's not true. Eh, whatever. I'm just glad I don't live there.
You told them their own company policy? You, who are the guest, told the employee how to do their job, which the company hired them to do and outlined for them? Yeeup. Sure makes sense to me that YOU would know how the place is run better than HIM or his MANAGER.

Sorry (not) about the bitterness, but I currently do this for a living and I have to deal with all the idiots that don't have any idea what goes on in a restaurant or a bar and just why things are run the way they are.

Just out of curiosity, do you KNOW what happens if that server would have gotten caught allowing you to drink at your table? I don't know about your particular state, but here there is the possibility of FIFTEEN HUNDRED dollar fine. It is a misdemeanor charge, weekend in jail. The MOD, manager on duty would likely be fined up to FIVE THOUSAND dollars and lose HIS job. The company could have its liquor license suspended or revoked. I don't know about that store, but the liquor licenses for my stores run WELL over a hundred thousand dollars, company-wide. Imagine having that revoked. Hundred ground, down the tubes, not to mention the lost sales because you can't sell booze, you have thousands of dollars of booze on hand that you can't get rid of, the lost business because people want to be able to have a beer or cocktail with their dinner so they no longer come to your restaurant for dinner and the bad name in the newspaper? How's that for the server doing the RIGHT thing by not giving you alcohol?:alchi:

Jonas McFeely
08-28-07, 03:18 AM
Now dont quote me on this, but i am guessing a BIG portion of the whole alcohol industries profits come from people UNDER the age of 21. I can go on forever about of the places that serve me beer and liquor. All of the places that SELL me beer and liquor. I even have a place that sells me beer 24 hours a day.

Underage drinking is part of life. Every kid i know does it. though most of my friends now are 21 or older. But even when i was 16, i was throwing and going to keggers all the time. Everytime my dad went out of town, Kegger at Tims.

If kids didnt/couldnt buy/drink alcohol underage, the industry would more than likey take a huge hit. I dont know about your particular establishment, or your particular state laws(in depth) but you sound like a hard ass when it comes to that kind of stuff, which is ok.

If he wanted a beer and his girlfriend wasnt 21, i dont see a problem with it, as long as she didnt blatantly drink in front of the bartender. Most places around here wouldnt have thought twice, especially around UCF. Good God, there are bars out there that only survive BECAUSE of underage sales. And thats real.

Jesda
08-28-07, 03:46 AM
It would have been safer if my drinking at 19 was done in "the light"

Spyder
08-28-07, 10:35 AM
I used to drink underage ALL the time. At seventeen I looked like I belonged in ZZ Top and I'd walk into a bar and order single malt on the rocks. No one carded me.

I know exactly what you mean about underage drinking and I agree, it keeps a lot of people in business. Just because its accepted and frequently done doesn't mean that the server should not do his job. It's not worth it to the server to risk his job and the fine that would come with it and the permanent record of being a criminal, just to 'hook you up' with a drink.

Being in the bar business now, if my bar gets caught serving underage drinkers, I'm screwed. If you're looking to drink and you know of places that will serve you, cool. Go there. Don't be a dick to the people who are doing their job correctly and legally. Don't take money out of their pockets because they're following rules. (Yes, if you don't tip a server it actually takes money OUT of their pocket. They have to pay out hosts, cooks, bartenders, etc out of their own money and not tipping them at all means that they lost money on your table)

I'm anything BUT a hardass when it comes to underage drinking. If you're not twenty one and your drinking and you're not being an obnoxious a-hole, I don't care. Enjoy, have fun, be safe. Don't do it in MY bar. Just don't criticize ME for doing MY job and covering MY ass. Come to my house and drink. Still not exactly legal, but not risking loss of my business, loss of my financial stability and loss of my savings account.

I'd like to see any of you who are complaining about not being able to get served, as minors, go out and find some activity which gives you absolutely nothing in return except for the "feel good" of giving a nineteen year old drink, knowing full well that you could, at any second, be popped with jail time, unemployment and a thousand dollar fine. You wouldn't do it either, if you were smart, unless you were already loaded, in which case why are you working in a restaurant anyways?

I'm not saying that you shouldn't drink. Hell, I'm not even saying that they shouldn't serve you. That is their call, as servers, managers and bar/liquor store owners. I'm just saying that if they choose NOT to serve you to cover their own asses, don't be a douchebag to them. They're just trying to make a living.

Playdrv4me
08-28-07, 11:28 AM
I've never ever had that problem before. I've routinely gone to places with people who drink (back when I was under 21) and been with underage friends who could not drink and never had a problem with those of legal age being able to drink freely. I dont even like to drink and I think that is just plain stupid.

99esteees
08-28-07, 01:11 PM
Soooooooo you're NOT twenty one and you tried to order drinks. The server did his job. The server kept himself from getting whacked with a HUGE fine and no job. The server followed the company policy and the states law, and yet you hold those things against him and don't tip him? THAT, my friend, is bullshit. THAT is why the original poster was not allowed to order a drink for himself.

Badly wanted to be an a-hole because he was following the company policy, doing his job and following the law? Ok. Sure makes sense to me. Hell, might as well FIRE him for DOING HIS JOB.

And next time you went she was probably fired. Corporate joints rarely are given permission to give free drinks. Happens all the time, I know. I've done it a few times and seen it done many times, but it sure isn't something that's suggested or allowed.

You told them their own company policy? You, who are the guest, told the employee how to do their job, which the company hired them to do and outlined for them? Yeeup. Sure makes sense to me that YOU would know how the place is run better than HIM or his MANAGER.

Sorry (not) about the bitterness, but I currently do this for a living and I have to deal with all the idiots that don't have any idea what goes on in a restaurant or a bar and just why things are run the way they are.

Just out of curiosity, do you KNOW what happens if that server would have gotten caught allowing you to drink at your table? I don't know about your particular state, but here there is the possibility of FIFTEEN HUNDRED dollar fine. It is a misdemeanor charge, weekend in jail. The MOD, manager on duty would likely be fined up to FIVE THOUSAND dollars and lose HIS job. The company could have its liquor license suspended or revoked. I don't know about that store, but the liquor licenses for my stores run WELL over a hundred thousand dollars, company-wide. Imagine having that revoked. Hundred ground, down the tubes, not to mention the lost sales because you can't sell booze, you have thousands of dollars of booze on hand that you can't get rid of, the lost business because people want to be able to have a beer or cocktail with their dinner so they no longer come to your restaurant for dinner and the bad name in the newspaper? How's that for the server doing the RIGHT thing by not giving you alcohol?:alchi:

Woah man you need to sit down, relax, and drink a few beers yourself.

In the heat of the moment, people DON'T think straight and your post obviously shows that. Now as I said, I did tip the waiter normally once I came to and I realized he in no way made that decision.

You are correct in the assumption that "I" told him that policy is not true for every BWW. I eat at them all the time, and have NEVER ran into this. Because I know this policy doesn't stand at other establishments.. that equates to me knowing how the place is ran better? LOL god forbid the day I run into you as a waiter/manager :rolleyes:

dkozloski
08-28-07, 02:11 PM
The problem here is that the various participants in the underage drinking game are looking at different levels of risk. The reason underage drinking is regulated by law is that the kids are not wise and experienced enough to regulate their own behavior. Some can, most can't. The proof of this statement is all the "How wasted I got" stories that circulate. Statistics bear this out. The drinker, in his mind, is pranking around. The server is looking at fines and jail time. The establishment owner is looking at fines, jail time, and bankruptcy. If the prankster wants to try tricking the big boys they need to be prepared to get their @ss bounced out into the street. The establishment owner gets to set the rules of the game from his point of view and it's not subject to discussion. He only needs to be as polite about it as he feels he needs to be. The customer/prankster votes with his feet. From my point of view. I went there in the first place because I was looking for relief from kids wanting to get into mischief. If the owner/operator can't keep the kids with bad judgement out from underfoot I'll go elsewhere.

Spyder
08-28-07, 02:42 PM
10-4

dkozloski
08-28-07, 06:04 PM
If any of you young guys has an adventurous spirit you might try going into a beer joint in the hinterlands and after you finish your drink, turn the glass upside down on the bar in front of you. This is a challenge that you think you can whip anybody in the place. It's great fun to turn your buddy's glass upside down for him. A word to the wise, don't try it in a logging or mining town unless your medical insurance is paid up. This is all part of the process of separating the men from the boys. Most of these places are immune from the kiddies hanging around.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-28-07, 08:58 PM

I understand that it's her job to uphold the law and not let anyone underage drink. But the fact that she was such a bitch about it is why nobody tipped her. I understand that she probably sees that a lot, but to threaten our entire group and act in such a dismissive manner...I mean, come on! Don't scare off customers!

90Brougham350
08-28-07, 10:11 PM
Chad didn't try to order a drink, I tried to slide him one of my 2 Tanq & Tonics and Jesda just happened to buy an extra Blue Moon.

Spyder
08-29-07, 12:26 AM
I understand that it's her job to uphold the law and not let anyone underage drink. But the fact that she was such a bitch about it is why nobody tipped her. I understand that she probably sees that a lot, but to threaten our entire group and act in such a dismissive manner...I mean, come on! Don't scare off customers!

I fail to see how she was a 'bitch' about it...She was FOLLOWING THE TERMS OF HER EMPLOYMENT. Not to mention, THE LAW.

The policy at the company I work for, not the one that I run, but the one I work for, is that if ANYONE at the table is caught drinking underage, the entire tables drinks are pulled. No questions asked, they are pulled. They'll be comp'ed, so they aren't paid for by the guest, but we can't have people sneaking drinks around at a table. That's a multi-hundred-thousand dollar fine/loss if we are caught allowing it. Sorry, but its wrong. YES, I've done it before, of age and under age. YES I understand that its not that big of a deal to the drinker. YES. I also understand that it ISSSSSS a big deal to the server/company that serves them.

I am a bar owner now. I understand the difference between patron, server, bartender and owner. I, as an owner, can't afford to let myself get fined for serving underage patrons. Simple. No ID, not of age, NO DRINKY-DRINK! Sorry, but that's no reason to be an a-hole to the people that I employ. None at all. Take care of them. IF you have an issue with them following both MY directions and the STATE LAW, then take it up with ME and don't screw them out of their paycheck.

Spyder
08-29-07, 12:31 AM
If any of you young guys has an adventurous spirit you might try going into a beer joint in the hinterlands and after you finish your drink, turn the glass upside down on the bar in front of you. This is a challenge that you think you can whip anybody in the place. It's great fun to turn your buddy's glass upside down for him. A word to the wise, don't try it in a logging or mining town unless your medical insurance is paid up. This is all part of the process of separating the men from the boys. Most of these places are immune from the kiddies hanging around.

Hahahaha...good thing you tell me this...back in highschool and the short years following, this was the sign that everyone else should leave the room because we had a good chance of scoring. I came up with the system at 17 when I figured that I had a REALLY good chance with a girl but couldn't figure out how to clear the room.

I ended up going nowhere with her. I came up with the idea of the upside-down-glass on the coffee table being a signal that everyone but the glass-tipper and the girl/guy he was with should leave, for whatever reason they could come up with. I had good friends at the time that understood the idea, both male and female. It worked WONDERS for everyone but me, both male and female. I would bet a months paycheck that it STILL would work with that select group of friends from way back in high school... It was still two years until it worked for me. Everyone ELSE thanked me for the incredibly useful system though! :)

Jonas McFeely
08-29-07, 02:06 AM
patron

Word.

Spyder
08-29-07, 02:20 PM
Hehehe...I prefer Cazadores, myself. :D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-29-07, 02:53 PM
Well if it's any consolation, I can't forsee myself going into any bars before my 21'st birthday.

derrty_deville
08-31-07, 12:59 AM
They don't make enough to follow the rules of their employment. Plus it's good for business for them and their employer in the long run.

Spyder
08-31-07, 04:00 AM
Oh yea...losing a liquor license is definately good for my business...?

dkozloski
08-31-07, 02:20 PM
Most guys in the liquor business think the kids are little more than a pain in the @ss. Who wants the cops wandering through all the time? Who needs the hassle? The places that cater to the kiddy market have to accept the idea that they turn off the patrons with real money to spend and want peace and quiet to enjoy their meal and conversation but are turned off by the giggling and/or beligerant knuckleheaded kids. The kids need to go to the kids places with the boom bang noise. Strangely enough the well dressed young people that want to put on nice clothes, behave themselves, and act like adults are seldom hassled. If you invade an expensive nightclub with an attitude, they are well equipped to toss you out on your ear and the cops are ready to give them all the help they need. The cops know where the problem places are and they also know where the civilized people go. Guess who gets the most attention. On the other hand, the rowdiest places you'll ever see are cop's bars.

Spyder
08-31-07, 05:37 PM
Cop bars are fun. Just don't ever get in an altercation with anyone you don't know. :)