: Water Pumps

32V_DOHC
04-18-04, 03:14 PM
I have a 93 ETC and the waterpump went out. I have noticed that there seems to be different water pumps for the 93-94 northstars and the 95-2002 northstars. Does anyone know what the difference is? Are they physically interchangable? Do they all require the same tool to remove the pump. I ask because in want to make sure I get the right tool. I also see the 95-2002 delco waterpumps NIB on ebay for a lot less than the dealer wants. I want to get the right part but I also dont want to waste my money.

John

eldorado1
04-18-04, 06:59 PM
iirc, the ones on ebay were really cheaply made and broke... I think someone on the forum used it, and it broke on him, but I'm not 100% sure. I was planning on doing this soon too as preventative maintenance, so I'm curious as well.

growe3
04-19-04, 12:40 AM
I would not advise using any other pump then the one designed for your year. These pumps push tremendous amounts of fluid through your engine and are designed to do the job right.

I use a Lisle water pump wrench. I got one for about $18 online.

You should be aware that these pumps are often hard to crack loose. You need to be sure that the notches are fully engaged before applying full pressure to unscrew it. Once you start rounding the engaging notches you will have problems. The pump unscrews by rotating in a CLOCKWISE direction. Make sure that you keep your tools in a straight line to avoid slipping off sideways. Use a 1/2" breaker bar with about two feet of cheater bar to crack it loose. It only rotates a few degrees then it can be pulled out. When it loosens it will be fast, be prepared and don't let the tools fly and damage you paint.

-George