: Can't find right radiator - ok to block lines?

Harpo
08-26-07, 08:04 PM
I have '93 Fleetwood Brougham (5.7L, RWD) that needs a radiator, and no one can find the right one:

Drivers side:

cap
2 oil cooler lines
lower hose

Passenger side:

upper hose
2 trans cooler lines
lower hose

Yes, that's right - 2 lower hoses, and both seem to go the same place on the engine. To make it even more fun, one of the oil cooler lines is broken off.

Does anyone know where to find the correct radiator?
Or better yet, is it possible to eliminate the extra lower hose, and bypass the oil cooler?

TIA,
Harpo
ps GREAT Forum!

jayoldschool
08-26-07, 08:31 PM
Take your old rad to a rad shop, and have them put a new core in your old tanks. Simple as that. If there are any problems with the tanks, they can solder it, too.

Gwokable
08-26-07, 09:45 PM
Depends on what the engine needs and what the radiator does. If the radiator is from a car with a bigger/hotter engine with a higher PSI and higher heat output, then you're set so long as it fits.

If you just need the radiator hoses and trans cooler, then cap the oil lines and lower hose and you're good. If the tanks are on the sides, make sure you are using one outlet on each tank and not 2 on the same tank or otherwise the fluid won't flow through the lines, although the config you're talking about seems to have the tanks on the top/bottom. Still, use it on opposite sides if possible.

To cap the oil lines use a bolt with the right threading. You put a washer, a rubber washer, then RTV the bolt and screw it in tight then let it cure for 24 hours. Count the threads on the radiator with a pick and cut the bolt down to the right length with a dremel tool or hacksaw. Super important since you don't want the plug sticking in too far and you don't want to thread it in way too far either since the threads on oil/trans cooler lines are fragile and easy to kill.

To cap the radiator lines, I'm not sure what you'd have to do since those are large openings. If something commercial isn't available, what I'd do is get a couple tubes of epoxy and some wax paper. Something that sets slow and can take 500-600 degree's Fahrenheit at least.

Take the old radiator hose, cut a super duper straight edge; like use a kitchen knife to cut the hose so you get a straight cylinder. Then glue it to a block of wood via the outside edge so I'd have a seal. Lace the inside with wax paper, put epoxy inside, mix it with a pen, then let it set on a level surface. The next day, cut the plug from the radiator hose, pull the wax paper, remove the epoxy core from the thing, then remove the wax paper since it should peel. If it won't, then just sandpaper it off. Place a section of hose onto the desired pipe, clamp, cut it to th right length, then RTV, insert and clamp the plug and allow it to set. Done.

pimpin88
08-27-07, 11:22 AM
Check Advance Auto Parts. I got one for my 92 Roadmaster with the oil cooler lines and everything

rlyons
08-28-07, 06:49 PM
I have '93 Fleetwood Brougham (5.7L, RWD) that needs a radiator, and no one can find the right one:

Drivers side:

cap
2 oil cooler lines
lower hosePassenger side:

upper hose
2 trans cooler lines
lower hose
Yes, that's right - 2 lower hoses, and both seem to go the same place on the engine. To make it even more fun, one of the oil cooler lines is broken off.

Does anyone know where to find the correct radiator?
Or better yet, is it possible to eliminate the extra lower hose, and bypass the oil cooler?

TIA,
Harpo
ps GREAT Forum!
You can get it right here http://www.radiator.com/
They are great folks to deal with, comes in one day and they garantee it will fit. Shop around at your local parts store and if you can get a price then they will match it. I found the price at O'Rileys auto but the one they say will fit will not fit it. Got mine in one day, fit perfect and works great. By the way the 93 is the only one that has that radiator.

cadillackid64
10-03-07, 03:26 AM
I ended up doing the core thing. I brought it in myself and got it back a day or two later and even better it only ended up being like $100 versus $225 for a new one which probably wouldn't fit anyway.

Timothy60
10-03-07, 10:49 AM
Good job getting that old radiator repaired. I had the same problem last December with my 93 Fleetwood; most parts places SAY that the radiator is an exact match but as it turns out, none of them had that second hose outlet on the bottom. I searched around on the internet but then found one locally! It is a Modine radiator (made in USA) and I bought it at Willcox Tire and Radiator in Corland, NY for only $165.00. It was an exact match. They even had it in stock right in the shop! I picked it up the same day. That's one big radiator, isn't it? I only regret now that I didn't paint the bare aluminum before I installed it because I read that it's a good way to delay corrosion on the fins and heat dissipation efficiency is only slightly affected.

delzy
10-03-07, 11:50 AM
Congrats on saving the dough and getting it fixed locally.

For future reference:

Radiator.com . Use the phone support and be very descriptive of the exact concern. Same day shipping from a local warehouse for me. I think around $135 for my 96 FW limo. I think fitment is guaranteed or free pick up and credit.

I ordered mine on Sunday night and it was delivered by 9:30 AM Monday morning.... nothing but praise. It had the right fittings, but was a little thicker core. The original brackets worked on the thicker core, so I was happy.

kevinf
12-17-09, 10:36 AM
Ok I just bought the radiator w/ trans and oil cooler lines from radiator.com last night. It should be right considering that's the only one with both of those options. $138.

kevinf
12-17-09, 03:29 PM
Wow, the thing is here already. Fast friendly DELIVERY, so far so good!