: New N* Owner - What to look for?

2004Eldorado
08-26-07, 07:13 PM
I've taken the plunge, and ditched a Porsche 944 for something more grown up, and gotten a 1994 Eldorado with Northstar. I know it has the "missing oil" issue - 1qt per 1000 miles - doesn't worry me since the 944 is the same deal.

The car idles high - I intend on replacing the TPS before I really drive it too hard, but is there anything else I should be looking at for the idle? The car has 150k but has been dealer maintained. They quoted the PO $1200 for the engine to be resealed to stop the oil consumption. Me, I'm just going to run the crap out of it and see if it helps, like it usually does in a Porsche.

Any tips that a new owner should look for? I'm about to go on a 100 mile trip in it, and would like some pointers for things to watch out for, warning signs, etc. Are the 94's prone to overheating like the older cars? If so, why did they overheat, and is there a roadside "fix"?

Thanks,
Darryl

codewize
08-26-07, 09:15 PM
Get a warranty.

Ok now that that's out of the way, if the car doesn't have an overheating problem then you shouldn't have an issue. That long trip overheating thing went out with the sixties.

IF the car gets hot, I mean like in the red hot then there's a problem and no it won't be a road side fix. Probably head gaskets, but if you've driven the car and it doesn't immediately get hot on acceleration then the HG's are probably fine.

Get the idle fixed before you go. It may not be the TPS.

ON the oil consumption if you're using more than a quart every 1000 miles, get that fixed also. N*'s aren't not cheap to maintain but when there's a problem you want to address it the best way you can. One thing leads to another here.

Good luck on your trip. I'm sure it'll be fine.

NOTE: This is all a very quick rambling about HG problems.

Ranger
08-26-07, 10:04 PM
Regarding oil consumption, read the Technical Archives at the top left of this page.