: New Jersey. AirTran. IAD. Sucks. Not necessarily in that order...

thebigjimsho
08-26-07, 04:06 PM
Friday morning I drive a client's car from Brookline, MA to Westminster, MD. Left at 7:45AM and make great time, crossing the Tappan Zee bridge in a little over 3 hours. Get onto the Garden State Parkway and cruise right down. I had one of our affiliate car services scheduled to pick me up at 4:30PM. But my progress is so good, I have them change it to 3:15PM. That was right when I was getting on the Jersey Turnpike at about noon.

Then the poop hits.

Over a 15 mile span, it was bumper to bumper. Took 70 minutes to get out of it. Speeds picked up as we passed the I-195 interchange to Philly. So I still hope to make it by 3:15PM. Cross the bridge into Delaware and BAM, merge congestion. Between that and more traffic hitting the tolls in Delaware, 4PM looked more viable. So we change it to that.

Getting to Westminster at 3:50PM, things go well from there. My driver was there and, after dropping off the car, we head out to BWI. Nice drive. I had hoped to try making a 4:30 flight but had a 6:30 booked. Knowing I wouldn't have a shot at the 4:30, I relax a little.

Get to the airport at 4:50PM. Walk in and look at the flight departing board. My 6:30 Air Tran was canceled. When I booked it on Thursday, I noticed it was only 40% full. Warning signs should have flashed in my head. But, there's a 5:30 that's delayed to 5:47. Let's try for it. So I get in line and get on the phone. I'm on hold for 10 minutes but finally get through. They say there is 3 seats available. But at the same time the agents were looking for people on the 6:30. When I said I was, they said to step aside and they'd get us on the 5:30. My HUGE blunder? I didn't continue booking on the phone.

So they take us to the side and then take a couple with a TON of luggage. They bicker for 10-15 minutes. I try to explain that I have carry on and that I can make the flight if they just check me in. They ignore my pleas. I get back on the phone with Air Tran and they say there are still seats but now they can't issue me a seat. Finally, at 5:25, they get to me. I'm insisting they give me a ticket for the 5:30, scheduled to leave at 5:47PM. They say it's full. I say I just talked to an agent on the phone and they say it's too late. I say let me try. They refuse me. So I instruct them that they get me a flight on a different airline.

They call Delta. The agent there quotes a price of $202. But they can't work the refunds and tickets between themselves. So I need to go purchase the ticket there. If I don't get this ticket or from another airline, I try standby for the last flight, an 8:30, or I get the first flight out on Saturday. I'll get a voucher for a free trip from Air Tran, but no hotel. So I go to Delta. When I mention the quoted $202, they look at me like I'm crazy. It's $488. My company is not going to pay that. So I break out the laptop and check farechase.com for my options.

Unless I make that 8:30 standby, there is no flights from BWI to BOS for less than $488. BUT, I can fly United from IAD(Dulles) at 9:40PM for $184. But now it's 6:15PM and I need to get to that airport. Nothing will get me there cheaply or quickly enough. Except for a rental car. So for $51 I get a nice rental and haul butt to IAD.

I get to IAD at 8:20PM. No traffic, I was lucky. Drop off the car and hop the shuttle. Then comes the Dulles experience. They drop us off at the curb. Then you have to walk 150 yards to the terminal, go upstairs to ticketing, walk to the far end to get to United, walk to the opposite end to get to security and then take a funky Jawa transporter looking pod to get to your concourse. Took 45 minutes to get from the car rental to my gate. Come to find out my ticket is for standby. I'm the last one on the plane.

So it's 10:30 and I'm about to pass out from dehydration. I had a coffee in the morning and a Diet Pepsi at noon when I gassed up. From then to the plane, I didn't stop with the changes and aggravation and improvising. I didn't even stop to get a drink anywhere. But at least I got back to Boston that night and slept in my own bed. But before I went to bed, I called Air Tran to cancel my seat for the morning flight. At the terminal, they said they would refund my credit card if I canceled. On the phone, they would only give me credit on a voucher.

So, in essence, I will be calling Air Tran because that voucher means NOTHING to me as I will never fly them. They had one flight cancel at BWI and they acted like the world was ending. They were flustered and treated us like garbage even when we were being understanding. These people would never have survived one day at JFK, ORD or DFW.

So I'd say Air Tran sucks the most, with New Jersey being second and Dulles a close third.

How's that for a long post? At least it was shorter than my day Friday.

AMGoff
08-26-07, 04:35 PM
Well... sorry for learning the hard way, but in the summer time, the NJ Turnpike is the most heavily travelled road in the whole damn country, Fridays being the absolute worst time to be on there. Exit 8A is a trouble spot because the road merges from 5 lanes to three. 7A to 6 is horrible due to Six Flags, Trenton, and PA Turnpike traffic and exit 4 (or 3, I can't quite remember) can get dicey because it then goes from 3 lanes to 2. Usually around exit 6 or 7 it's easier to hop off and grab 295. Summertime is also a bear for the Delaware Memorial Bridge, being one of two bridges in the country the carries both an Interstate Highway (295) and a US Highway (40). I love where I live but I hate the summertime because 40 runs right through my town, it's nothing but a sea of Delaware and Maryland tags (hello??? you have beaches in your own states ya know!) and is a real headache. But from the Delaware Memorial Bridge to 95 south is an absolute mess, especially during rush hour and more so on a Friday. Had you taken 9, to 293, to 141, down Kirkwood Highway past Newark back on to 95 you could have shaved as much as 20-30 minutes off your trip (assuming you didn't hit too many red lights). Needless to say, welcome to my world in the summertime... although I rarely travel the turnpike and try to avoid Delaware at all costs. Either way... I can hardly wait for September!

Blackout
08-26-07, 05:11 PM
New Jersey Sucks
Fixed it for ya

thebigjimsho
08-26-07, 06:54 PM
Well... sorry for learning the hard way, but in the summer time, the NJ Turnpike is the most heavily travelled road in the whole damn country, Fridays being the absolute worst time to be on there. Exit 8A is a trouble spot because the road merges from 5 lanes to three. 7A to 6 is horrible due to Six Flags, Trenton, and PA Turnpike traffic and exit 4 (or 3, I can't quite remember) can get dicey because it then goes from 3 lanes to 2. Usually around exit 6 or 7 it's easier to hop off and grab 295. Summertime is also a bear for the Delaware Memorial Bridge, being one of two bridges in the country the carries both an Interstate Highway (295) and a US Highway (40). I love where I live but I hate the summertime because 40 runs right through my town, it's nothing but a sea of Delaware and Maryland tags (hello??? you have beaches in your own states ya know!) and is a real headache. But from the Delaware Memorial Bridge to 95 south is an absolute mess, especially during rush hour and more so on a Friday. Had you taken 9, to 293, to 141, down Kirkwood Highway past Newark back on to 95 you could have shaved as much as 20-30 minutes off your trip (assuming you didn't hit too many red lights). Needless to say, welcome to my world in the summertime... although I rarely travel the turnpike and try to avoid Delaware at all costs. Either way... I can hardly wait for September!Well, I knew that Jersey traffic sucks. I got stuck back in June, heading to VIR, and it took me about 4 1/2 hours to get from the Tappan Zee to Harrisburg, mainly due to NY/NJ traffic.

I made it a point to try to leave early Friday morning so I could get through the NY/Philly corridor by noon. Like Cape Cod traffic, I guess you can never get there early enough.

I didn't look well enough at the map the night before. What I should have done was avoid the area completely and taken I-84 all the way out to Scranton and take I-81 to Harrisburg to I-83 towards Westminster. I never seem to fully realize that Harrisburg is almost due north of Baltimore.

Night Wolf
01-25-09, 12:23 AM
Always were a blabber...

thebigjimsho
01-25-09, 12:57 AM
Always were a blabber...YOU are a hypocrite. And a copycat. :1337:

Rolex
01-25-09, 12:59 AM
:haha:

Night Wolf
01-25-09, 05:53 AM
YOU are a hypocrite. And a copycat. :1337:

hehe, I try :rolleyes:

Jesda
01-25-09, 07:41 AM
NJ is pretty nice once you get the hell out of NYC metro.

LS1Mike
01-25-09, 12:01 PM
Right, I grew up in Upstate NY and it is real nice up there. I don't mind the City, but when you say NY that is what everyone thinks which of course is not the case.

I have flown on Air Tran once, lets just say that will be the last time they get my money.

Blackout
01-25-09, 02:03 PM

Says the guy who lives in Missouri. Jersey sucks plain and simple. It didn't get the name of the arm pit of the country by accident.

dkozloski
01-25-09, 02:24 PM
Snow and cold sounds pretty good compared to that exercise in masochism.

orconn
01-25-09, 03:14 PM
Look at the bright side of New Jersey. At least you can get off the Turn Pike and probably find a pretty good Diner or at least a good Sub sandwich!

I don't know, but for me that pretty much trumps -35 degrees F!

orconn
01-25-09, 03:19 PM
Says the guy who lives in Missouri. Jersey sucks plain and simple. It didn't get the name of the arm pit of the country by accident.

Bucks County used to be nice, but be honest, these days how to you tell the difference between Bucks County and New Jersey?

thebigjimsho
01-25-09, 03:30 PM
Says the guy who lives in Missouri. Jersey sucks plain and simple. It didn't get the name of the arm pit of the country by accident.I don't know. I like South Jersey. And up near Port Jervis is nice, too...

CTSV_Rob
01-25-09, 03:44 PM
Never flown air tran, now I will avoid them completely.

Sounds like it would have been quicker to just jump in a rental car and drive home.

thebigjimsho
01-25-09, 05:29 PM
Never flown air tran, now I will avoid them completely.

Sounds like it would have been quicker to just jump in a rental car and drive home.Yeah, I thought about that after the fact. But I would've had to drive to Boston and then get a ride back to my car at the client's mother's house. And then drive home. It would've been 2AM and driving ALL day when I wasn't really ready for it. I do have a friend in NYC where I could've stayed for the night, but eh. I don't know how much a rental car would've cost to drop it out of state.

But bottom line was I should've done everything over the phone, including checking the flight beforehand. I've made too many good moves and changes on the fly, over the phone, in the past, to nt have done it in this case...

CTSV_Rob
01-25-09, 05:38 PM
Makes sense.

Lesson learned...

One thing experiences like this have taught me is the more painful the experience the more likely I will remember next time it happens.

Just glad to hear it (kind of) worked out for you and you made it home.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-25-09, 05:53 PM
I'd like to go to South Jersey, if for nothing more than to meet what seems like half of the members on here.

thebigjimsho
01-25-09, 06:01 PM
I'd like to go to South Jersey, if for nothing more than to meet what seems like half of the members on here.What you lookin' at, punk?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-25-09, 06:03 PM
Huh? I said that it seems like roughly half the members on here are from the Jersey/east coast area.

thebigjimsho
01-25-09, 06:08 PM
Huh? I said that it seems like roughly half the members on here are from the Jersey/east coast area.I gave you a typical Jersey greeting...

urbanski
01-25-09, 06:15 PM
so i guess you made it home?

thebigjimsho
01-25-09, 06:23 PM
so i guess you made it home?No. trukk let me sleep over and kenoodle...

urbanski
01-25-09, 06:55 PM
woot

urbanski
01-25-09, 06:55 PM
pics of u and trukk!

orconn
01-25-09, 08:48 PM
I gave you a typical Jersey greeting...

Actually, I think it is more like, "Yo..... you lookin' ad me?"

thebigjimsho
01-26-09, 12:49 AM
pics of u and trukk!
trukk has them in his hope chest...

Blackout
01-26-09, 06:36 AM
Bucks County used to be nice, but be honest, these days how to you tell the difference between Bucks County and New Jersey?

Bucks County used to be nice but every square inch of open property has to be turned into as many homes they can fit on as small of an area as possible. Driving around Bucks sucks anymore because the roads are in crap condition and most of the roads in the area weren't made to handle such traffic so certain parts of the day are nightmares to get around

trukk
01-26-09, 04:55 PM
No. trukk let me sleep over and kenoodle...

pics of u and trukk!

trukk has them in his hope chest...

LOL, Jim's talkin chit. I do think I have a pic of him somewhere. I'll dig it up since he's given me permission to post.

BTW, I live 5 mins from BWI, if you ever get stuck again, gimme a call. While I can't promise a kenoodle, we could PM bomb Urb.

-Chris

urbanski
01-26-09, 05:05 PM
haha

CTSV_Rob
01-26-09, 09:36 PM
LOL, Jim's talkin chit. I do think I have a pic of him somewhere. I'll dig it up since he's given me permission to post.

BTW, I live 5 mins from BWI, if you ever get stuck again, gimme a call. While I can't promise a kenoodle, we could PM bomb Urb.

-Chris
:rofl:

thebigjimsho
01-26-09, 09:59 PM

Bad idea!

thebigjimsho
01-26-09, 09:59 PM
BTW, I live 5 mins from BWI, if you ever get stuck again, gimme a call. While I can't promise a kenoodle, we could PM bomb Urb.Good idea!

trukk
01-27-09, 02:44 PM
Bad idea!

TOO LATE.

-Chris

For your viewing pleasure.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/8615/bigjimxp2.jpg

-Chris

Jesda
01-27-09, 03:06 PM

No, the part of NJ that sucks is the part associated with NYC.

thebigjimsho
01-28-09, 10:04 AM
Here's one of trukk...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ZNVHj64lF7I/Rwm_etGhxgI/AAAAAAAACWc/dtHEetfhZ3c/IMG_4955.JPG

trukk
01-28-09, 12:14 PM
Here's one of trukk...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ZNVHj64lF7I/Rwm_etGhxgI/AAAAAAAACWc/dtHEetfhZ3c/IMG_4955.JPG

X FAIL!

Please try again.

-Chris

thebigjimsho
01-28-09, 05:17 PM
X FAIL!

Please try again.

-Chris
http://www.countryliving.com/cm/countryliving/images/Little-Boy-Corndog-REGFOOD0805-de.jpg

trukk
01-28-09, 05:33 PM
http://www.countryliving.com/cm/countryliving/images/Little-Boy-Corndog-REGFOOD0805-de.jpg

LOL, corn dogs are good.

-Chris

CTSV_Rob
01-28-09, 05:58 PM
Yeah but you have that "Don't mess with me while I eats muh corn dog" look.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-29-09, 12:14 AM
TOO LATE.

For your viewing pleasure.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/8615/bigjimxp2.jpg

-Chris

Is that JimmyH standing directly behind Bigjim, with the tan colored shirt on, holding the camera?

trukk
01-29-09, 07:57 AM
Is that JimmyH standing directly behind Bigjim, with the tan colored shirt on, holding the camera?

I don't think so. Doesn't he have more of tha white-boy fro going on? (mathces his wood grain interior apl;ique ;))

I think that is Ted (SkullV) standing next to Jim though.

-Chris

CTSV_Rob
01-29-09, 10:19 PM
I don't think so. Doesn't he have more of tha white-boy fro going on? (mathces his wood grain interior apl;ique ;))

I think that is Ted (SkullV) standing next to Jim though.

-Chris
lol, that's never going to die or get old.

thebigjimsho
01-30-09, 06:55 AM
LOL, corn dogs are good.

-Chris
No kidding. And you wouldn't share, you bastard!

thebigjimsho
01-30-09, 06:58 AM
And truck's perspective sucks. Me be pointing to my awesome windhsield bannerz. And JimmyH wasn't there. He doesn't drive more than 50 miles, unless it's for Detroit p00n...