: Wrecked Car Disclosure

99esteees
08-25-07, 12:52 PM
When you buy a car, are dealers required by law to tell you if it has been in an accident?

05cts-v
08-25-07, 12:58 PM
Here in North Carolina they are only required if there is at least 25% damage to the car. Small bang ups, they don't have to tell you and they usually don't. If its used, always as for a CarFax report. They don't always show everything but if anything is reported you will know whether the dealership wants you to know or not. Here, if you ask, most dealerships will give you a free Carfax report.

99esteees
08-25-07, 01:06 PM
Well, thats the thing. I think this car dealer where I got my car buys cars with clean carfax reports that have been wrecked, and repairs and sells them.

They adamently offer free carfax reports and practically throw it on you. I noticed my front bumper had been painted and had a run in the paint on it.

I did a google and found a rip off report about the same place, the same kinda car, and the same paint drip. I'm getting very angry and have some extra time on my hands.

Playdrv4me
08-25-07, 03:55 PM
It's pretty simple. Just check the edges of your fenders for roughness in the paint, discoloration between panels at certain angles in artificial lighting (like a wal-mart parking lot at night), things that dont line up right. With a little know-how, you can spot a wreck right away. Usually, if you present me with 5 or 6 all around pictures of a car in GOOD light (and sometimes just 1), I can tell you just from pictures if it had paintwork. Its THAT easy.

NOW, my policy has ALWAYS been NO WRECKS if I can at all avoid it, and I HATE repaints. HOWEVER, repainted bumpers have NEVER bothered me. Bumpers are PLASTIC, so they cant rust, and they are there to PROTECT you and the metallic body shell of the car. As such, while I like a COMPLETELY original car, I wouldnt be bent out of shape over a repainted bumper. That is the only thing I will accept.

Depending on the state, the laws for disclosure are different. Even then, the dealer is only required to dislclose "what THEY know". This is why they ask the customer trading it in if there is any known damage to the car, when the customer says NO, that gets the dealership out of the hole.

urbanski
08-25-07, 04:12 PM
Usually, if you present me with 5 or 6 all around pictures of a car in GOOD light (and sometimes just 1), I can tell you just from pictures if it had paintwork. Its THAT easy..

you need to come work your voodoo on my ride :D

dkozloski
08-25-07, 04:20 PM
Laws regarding car sales vary from state to state. There are federal laws regarding odometer data. On just about everything else you're on your own. Buying used cars is like trading horses. It's a game that does not favor the amateur. Take the car to a licensed mechanic and have it examined. If you're too cheap you have nobody but yourself to blame when you get stung.

Playdrv4me
08-25-07, 04:33 PM
you need to come work your voodoo on my ride :D

Based on that pic steve had on his sig for the longest time, I thought you got away clean! It looked like your bumper was pulverized, but your fender looked nearly untouched!

I had never seen the back pics though. What all did you have to have replaced/repaired?

urbanski
08-25-07, 04:41 PM
Based on that pic steve had on his sig for the longest time, I thought you got away clean! It looked like your bumper was pulverized, but your fender looked nearly untouched!

I had never seen the back pics though. What all did you have to have replaced/repaired?

so far? hahah
replace/repair to every panel but both passenger doors :)