: Der Benz ist meiner!

Pages : [1] 2

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-24-07, 08:12 PM
So I picked it up today, at about 12:25. Wow, what a car.

The car is miles above and beyond Cadillac (or really most any car) in terms of build quality and attention to detail. Some of the things they have in here are just insane. I'll go further into detail later if you wanna know. Otherwise, the thing rides insanely smooth...it doesn't have the slight bobbing motion that I'm used to while traveling down the highway, and it handles soooo nicely. I can actually accelerate through a tight turn or curve and not feel the least bit nervous, and it seems to have very little body roll, atleast compared to the deVille. The car inspires confidence behind the wheel. Complete and udder confidence. The seats are firm, but comfortable, and honest to god, there is more legroom in the rear of this than there was in my deVille, and that's no small feat. But I'll end up missing the plush seats, long flat hood, lamp monitors and other bits and pieces of the Cadillac, I'll always have a soft spot for the old girl.

My only worries is the negative attention it'll probably recieve, it's a higher profile vehicle, which is sorta what I wanted, but with that comes a few downsides...(cops and robbers lol) I have seemed to notice that women look at me as I drive by, which is just what the doctor ordered.

When I brought it into work today, for the inspection needed for the warranty I'm gonna buy, I was gettin all sorts of compliments from my coworkers, and when I went to gas it up (christ that was expensive!) a guy in a E46 3 Series convertible gave me the thumbs up, and then later, a couple in a E39 528i gave me the thumbs up....I could def. get used to this.

Now all I've gotta do is get it so I can play my iPod thru the stereo. And then read thru the owner's manual to figure some things out. I forsee a trip to Best Buy tonight!

Anyways though, I'm very happy with my purchase, and I'm somewhere I never thought I'd be fortunate enough to be....behind the wheel of a Benz. :)

PICS!

We had our driveway redone this morning, and I thought this would make
for a neat angle.
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v113/38/119/199104188/n199104188_31527507_3687.jpg

The book of dreams and the funds necessary to procure the dream life.
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v113/38/119/199104188/n199104188_31527508_3996.jpg

Me and the Benz, at the dealer. I need to think of a name for her.
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v113/38/119/199104188/n199104188_31527509_4231.jpg

Mileage on the way home.
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v113/38/119/199104188/n199104188_31527510_4462.jpg

The most I have ever spent on gas, and it was just below 1/4 tank!
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v113/38/119/199104188/n199104188_31527511_4687.jpg

The old and the new. Taken @ work. Angie will stay parked in our backlot until I can put it over at my uncle's place in a few days. I can't park it at my place because we just got the driveway redone so we all have to park on the street, and there's like no space.
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v113/38/119/199104188/n199104188_31527513_5133.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v113/38/119/199104188/n199104188_31527514_5361.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v113/38/119/199104188/n199104188_31527515_5589.jpg

More to come later...

Jesda
08-24-07, 08:26 PM
BEAUTIFUL! The Republic of Chad is prosperous!

caddycruiser
08-24-07, 08:28 PM
Love it. Hopefully you'll be able to get rid of that Deville soon, and have many years of pure luxury from that bank vault Benz.

Now, I really want one even more:rolleyes:

Night Wolf
08-24-07, 08:34 PM
Congrats :)

Destroyer
08-24-07, 08:36 PM
So its a done deal. Alrighty then. There is a guy on ebay that sells Alpine CD/mp3 changers that work with the stock stereo. Mine did not have a CD changer stock but it did have the hookup in the trunk so installation was a breeze. I think I paid around $300 or so for it. Sounded great!. Only problem is that you cant put more than 99 songs on one MP3 disc cause the head unit only goes up to track 99. Here's a pic of my 'ole S320. Identical to yours inside but obviously blue on the outside and bit lower mileage.:thumbsup:

gary88
08-24-07, 08:50 PM
A mighty fine automobile you got there.

Kinda cool how it's almost the same color as your DeVille.

gdwriter
08-24-07, 08:52 PM
Very nice! Congrats.

RightTurn
08-24-07, 08:57 PM
:woohoo: Great car, Chad! Congratulations, bud. :LittleB:

TaVern
08-24-07, 09:09 PM
Nice car Chad! But good lord... 20 gallons of gas?!? Guess I shouldn't whine about my 15 gallons (on empty).

Destroyer
08-24-07, 09:17 PM
Anyways though, I'm very happy with my purchase, and I'm somewhere I never thought I'd be fortunate enough to be....behind the wheel of a Benz. :)

Feels good doesn't it?. I love that color, I would have taken that color over the dark blue one I had any day. I'm 35 the car kinda fit me, you though at 20 are the PIMP!. Only prob I forsee is that the ladies might think you are driving your dads car around. Nah, it'll be alright.

slk230mb
08-24-07, 09:29 PM
Good Luck Chad. My dad had a 1997 S320 LWB that he absolutely loved. I'm jealous of your flip key. If someone sold a conversion kit for GM cars I'd be all over it.

Spyder
08-24-07, 10:09 PM
HA! Sixty bucks a BIG fillup?! My old Chevy truck used to take seventy or eighty bucks every four days! Two 18 gallon tanks! :) My '66 Lincoln had a 32 gallon tank, if I remember correctly. I know it took me over forty bucks one day to NOT get a full tank, when fuel was only $1.29 a gallon. :)

Nice looking car. Take care of her and enjoy!

96Fleetwood
08-24-07, 10:26 PM
Congrats! You lucky bastard! :thumbsup:

Adam
08-24-07, 10:53 PM
Well Chad, congrats. I don't really care for the car (looks or otherwise) but as long as you like it, its all good.

Night Wolf
08-24-07, 11:30 PM
Well Chad, congrats. I don't really care for the car (looks or otherwise) but as long as you like it, its all good.

:eek:

Anyway.... you get alot of snow right? If the car is from FL, thats awesome, cause thats the best way to buy a car. I'd take triple care to completly wash/flush out the underbody of the car after each winter... I dunno about yours winters, but NY winters were horrible on cars... and it really shows... cause the underbody of my 11 year old Town Car looks brand new in comparison.... last thing you want is a nice car rusting out from under you and once that happens you can't do anything about it... if you plan to keep the car a long time (seems you do) its just something to look out for... been there, done that. Personally rust, and underbody rust on the frame, floor pans, all fluid lines etc... is just the worst thing that can happen to a car, and would be the ultimate go or no-go factor.... that alone (super clean underbody) was one of the primary reasons I got my particular Town Car.

Does the dealership you work for have a paintless dent repair guy come around to remove door dings from cars they are gonna sell? Most do, and those guys can really do some awesome work.... If they do, have them take a little at the little dent in the truck, it dosn't appear that the paint is messed up, but it is on a body line, so they may not be able to do too much.... but I was just figuring they may be able to help it out.

As for the bumper clips, pull one off, I'd imagine they are pretty normal clips... never know though, but Advance has a bunch of different types of clips in the Help section... it may not say Mercedes-Benz on the box, but they would serve the same purpose.... worth a look atleast.

Anyway, I look forward to more pictures... I'd personally like to see more interior pictures, closeups and details etc.... also we need some 0-100 videos and stuff :thumbsup:

derrty_deville
08-24-07, 11:47 PM
there is more legroom in the rear of this than there was in my deVille

We'll just see about that.

Bring up to me after work tomorrow, I'll be fixin the coupe. :stirpot:

77CDV
08-25-07, 12:23 AM
Anything that big, German, and female has got to be called Brunhilde. Congrats on your new purchase, and many happy miles (kilometers?) of driving pleasure. Now go out and thunder down the interstate while playing Wagner at full tilt!:)

Lord Cadillac
08-25-07, 12:52 AM
A name.. Hmm.. How about Rhinehildagarde? haha. Nice car, Chad! Very nice.. Take lots and lots of pictures in and out.. :)

Night Wolf
08-25-07, 02:10 AM
It is the long wheelbase version, and it seems the wheelbase was made longer thru extending the rear seat area... so.... I'd hope it has more room in the back then a '92 DeVille.....

None of these German names are sexy sounding.... or have a romantic sound......

.... lol, now I am laughing out loud to things some guys at work say.... gosh you'd really have to be there... but we were talking about how Germans will make the simplest thing into a really big and complicated word, then another guy was saying how everything they say sounds really aggressive, so one guy was like, yeah, you'd be with your girl cuddling and say (in an aggressive Hitler type voice) "whoglosovakin de butchakaja" then he was says in a deep voice... "no, relax baby, I'm just tryin' to say I love you"..... yeah you would have to be there.....

Playdrv4me
08-25-07, 02:19 AM
Proud of you bud, the car is beautiful!

gdwriter
08-25-07, 04:00 AM
Still have insomnia, so with nothing better to do, I googled "German female names" and got this (http://www.20000-names.com/female_german_names.htm):

ADALHEIDIS: "noble sort"
BRIGITTE: "exalted one"
ERMENTRUDE: "wholly loved"
FREJA: "lady, mistress"
ODILIA "wealthy"
OTTOLINE "wealthy"

Cadillacboy
08-25-07, 05:12 AM
Congrats on your new car and hope you like it :)
If I would happen buy a Teutonic car that would be definitely a W140 nothing else !

Night Wolf
08-25-07, 07:36 AM
Nothing beats the first night of a new car too, to see how it really is all lit up at night, and drive at night... its just so different then the day... then getting up the next morning and seeing it outside is a good feeling too.

How about some pictures of the interior and gauges at night all lit up and stuff?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-25-07, 10:08 AM
Sure Rick, I took some pics last night, will post them later today.

There are so many things on here that are different than the usual GM stuff I see all the time.

For example:
-The headlights do not come on automatically when it gets dark out. They never offered that feature in the W140s.

- It's got a maintenance minder computer that tells how many miles and days until I'm due for my next Mercedes service.

-The CD player was not standard in these, as a matter of fact, they never offered an indash cd player, but they had an optional 6 disc CD changer that would mount in the trunk. Mine does not have that option.

-As most german cars have, there is a button on the floor underneath the gas pedal, so when you take it to the floor, it downshifts into the lowest available gear right now.

-The shift gate is notched. I still can't get the reasoning behind that, but it's neat.

-At night, when you open either of the front doors, the front reading lamps come on, and when you open the rear doors only, only the rear reading lamps come on, and when you open a front door and a rear door, all the interior lights come on. THAT is neat!

There are other things too, I'm finding out more every day.

Does the dealership you work for have a paintless dent repair guy come around to remove door dings from cars they are gonna sell? Most do, and those guys can really do some awesome work.... If they do, have them take a little at the little dent in the truck, it dosn't appear that the paint is messed up, but it is on a body line, so they may not be able to do too much.... but I was just figuring they may be able to help it out.

Yeah, I gotta look into that, see what it costs me.

Anyway, I look forward to more pictures... I'd personally like to see more interior pictures, closeups and details etc.... also we need some 0-100 videos and stuff :thumbsup:

Oh yes, they'll be coming. :thumbsup:

Still have insomnia, so with nothing better to do, I googled "German female names" and got this (http://www.20000-names.com/female_german_names.htm):

ADALHEIDIS: "noble sort"
BRIGITTE: "exalted one"
ERMENTRUDE: "wholly loved"
FREJA: "lady, mistress"
ODILIA "wealthy"
OTTOLINE "wealthy"

A name.. Hmm.. How about Rhinehildagarde? haha. Nice car, Chad! Very nice.. Take lots and lots of pictures in and out.. :)

How about some names that don't sound like an STD?

Benzilla
08-25-07, 12:30 PM
I'm glad you got what you were looking for. Even though it looks like a 50 year old professor's car, you know, the kind that wears tweed jackets and finds everything extremely interesting. What about some chrome AMG rims or something? Anyway, that was mean, I'm happy for you. :)

AlBundy
08-25-07, 12:47 PM
Congrades to you.

Adam
08-25-07, 12:49 PM
:eek:

:eek: nothing. IMO it looks like a big shoe box and the interior is just ugly. The car does nothing for me.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-25-07, 01:31 PM
Ah well, you don't like my car, I don't like yours. No biggie.

Night Wolf
08-25-07, 02:19 PM
Sure Rick, I took some pics last night, will post them later today.

There are so many things on here that are different than the usual GM stuff I see all the time.

For example:
-The headlights do not come on automatically when it gets dark out. They never offered that feature in the W140s.

- It's got a maintenance minder computer that tells how many miles and days until I'm due for my next Mercedes service.

-The CD player was not standard in these, as a matter of fact, they never offered an indash cd player, but they had an optional 6 disc CD changer that would mount in the trunk. Mine does not have that option.

-As most german cars have, there is a button on the floor underneath the gas pedal, so when you take it to the floor, it downshifts into the lowest available gear right now.

-The shift gate is notched. I still can't get the reasoning behind that, but it's neat.

-At night, when you open either of the front doors, the front reading lamps come on, and when you open the rear doors only, only the rear reading lamps come on, and when you open a front door and a rear door, all the interior lights come on. THAT is neat!

There are other things too, I'm finding out more every day.

Yeah, I gotta look into that, see what it costs me.

Oh yes, they'll be coming. :thumbsup:

How about some names that don't sound like an STD?

I was wondering about the headlights... I thought for sure they would have an automatic feature.... Cadillac has had that since the 60's?

That maintenace computer thing, IIRC is just a count down from a set number of miles/days and it counts down, I don't think it is an active monitor like the GM OLM.

Same with my Town Car about the CD changer, no in-dash but there wa a 10-disc in the trunk.

Look at Crutchfield.... honestly, CD's are getting phased out right now, and I don't even want a CD player in my car, I like the facotry head unit, what I really want is an AUX input. Well, Crutchfeild has an apater that plugs into the amp/processor in the trunk, where the CD changer normally plugs into, but its an AUX (RCA inputs... can convert to mini cable etc..) .... so all I need to do is get a factory head unit with the CD buttons (see them on ebay cheap) and then that cable (its about $70) and when I push CD on the headunit, instead of a CD changer, it would just switch the source to the AUX.... I want an AUX input becuase I use my PSP as an MP3 player on my trips to FL and back... just load all my music on that. Nothing beats a nice hardwired connection, right now I use a cassette adapter and its a pain.... my Apline HU in the Coupe had an AUX input for XM and MP3... it was awesome.... I'd see if you can get something like that :)

lol, I remember that little downshift button, my frends '98 Jetta had that, for the longest time he didn't know about it and was wondering why it was so slow (cause it kinda felt like the pedal hit the floor, but it didn't) I remember driving it, and giving it gas lightly would be just slowly accelerating, but then once that button was hit it would redline the shifts and downshift to the lowest gear.... neat, but got a pain for normal driving.

What do yo mean the shift gate is notched? I see its a gated shifted, instead of stright forward-back... I do like gated shifters alot... is that what you mean or something else?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-25-07, 02:41 PM
I was wondering about the headlights... I thought for sure they would have an automatic feature.... Cadillac has had that since the 60's?

That maintenace computer thing, IIRC is just a count down from a set number of miles/days and it counts down, I don't think it is an active monitor like the GM OLM.

Same with my Town Car about the CD changer, no in-dash but there wa a 10-disc in the trunk.

Look at Crutchfield.... honestly, CD's are getting phased out right now, and I don't even want a CD player in my car, I like the facotry head unit, what I really want is an AUX input. Well, Crutchfeild has an apater that plugs into the amp/processor in the trunk, where the CD changer normally plugs into, but its an AUX (RCA inputs... can convert to mini cable etc..) .... so all I need to do is get a factory head unit with the CD buttons (see them on ebay cheap) and then that cable (its about $70) and when I push CD on the headunit, instead of a CD changer, it would just switch the source to the AUX.... I want an AUX input becuase I use my PSP as an MP3 player on my trips to FL and back... just load all my music on that. Nothing beats a nice hardwired connection, right now I use a cassette adapter and its a pain.... my Apline HU in the Coupe had an AUX input for XM and MP3... it was awesome.... I'd see if you can get something like that :)

lol, I remember that little downshift button, my frends '98 Jetta had that, for the longest time he didn't know about it and was wondering why it was so slow (cause it kinda felt like the pedal hit the floor, but it didn't) I remember driving it, and giving it gas lightly would be just slowly accelerating, but then once that button was hit it would redline the shifts and downshift to the lowest gear.... neat, but got a pain for normal driving.

What do yo mean the shift gate is notched? I see its a gated shifted, instead of stright forward-back... I do like gated shifters alot... is that what you mean or something else?

Yeah, I meant how it's not straight forward back. About the music source, I'll be getting a iPod travel kit, tonight perhaps.

I'm 35 the car kinda fit me, you though at 20 are the PIMP!. Only prob I forsee is that the ladies might think you are driving your dads car around. Nah, it'll be alright.

Or that it's my grandpa's car perhaps? I think it'd stand out a lot more to women if it was an SL, but they do look at this car. For example, I took my youngest brother for a ride in it yesterday, and we passed a bunch of teenage girls out walking around, and literally, they ALL stopped and stared as I drove by.

AMGoff
08-25-07, 02:54 PM
Congrats on getting the car that you wanted. I know I'll probably catch flack for this just like Adam but I have to be honest. I just don't like them for several reasons, reliability being one, being an import another, and then there's the looks - just not my cup of tea. Good move on the warranty, you might not ever need it but if you do you'll be thankful you got it. But I don't have to like it! You do and that's all that matters so enjoy her!

I just hope you're not getting rid of the deville.. it's never a bad idea to have a second, backup car (you might need her) and with the multi-car discount and just liability it will be cheap to keep her insured. Plus it's still a Cadillac. Besides, I don't know what the DMV is like in MN but in a few more years you'll probably be able to put classic tags on her and save even more.

MN-STS-LOVER
08-25-07, 04:05 PM
Great job Chad! glad it all worked out! Can't wait to see it tomorrow! but just remember...as nice as it is....I'll still be looking at it from my rear view mirror...LOL

77CDV
08-25-07, 04:39 PM
None of these German names are sexy sounding.... or have a romantic sound......

That's because it's German. Let's face it, it's not the most melifluous tongue on the globe (that would be Italian, hands down, with Spanish a close second).

AMGoff
08-25-07, 04:51 PM
That's because it's German. Let's face it, it's not the most melifluous tongue on the globe (that would be Italian, hands down, with Spanish a close second).

French can sound pretty romantic too, then again I had like seven years of it so I could be biased. Then again when talking about cars that would leave us with either a Citroen or a Renault and those certainly leave a bad taste in ones mouth!

J'adore mon Cadillac... c'est la voiture la plus interessante et la plus belle au monde.

eldorado99
08-25-07, 04:51 PM
For example:

My '70 does that! :cool2:

Congrats again Chad, I too am going through a similar euphoria with my GTP right now.

Night Wolf
08-25-07, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I meant how it's not straight forward back. About the music source, I'll be getting a iPod travel kit, tonight perhaps.

Or that it's my grandpa's car perhaps? I think it'd stand out a lot more to women if it was an SL, but they do look at this car. For example, I took my youngest brother for a ride in it yesterday, and we passed a bunch of teenage girls out walking around, and literally, they ALL stopped and stared as I drove by.

I see.... yeah I really like gated shifters, and I don't like forward-back floor shifters... sadly most American, and GM cars until 2000 and later used them.

honestly, that was a *big* thing on why I like the '98+ Seville soo much... I know, call me weird... also the entire wood shifter on the STS.... soo nice.

I remember parking my '79 DeVille next to a big '79 Mercedes back in NY, and the Benz was yellow too!.... it was really awesome, but I must say, I looked inside at the (yellow, ack!) interior, and just liked the Caddy's sooo much more, but I did notice the gated floor shifter... thought that was neat on a '79 luxury car.

ipod travel kit..... sounds universal.... also sounds FM modulated (maybe even wireless....ahhh) in that case do NOT get it unless you really don't care about sound quality. I am sure a top of the line Benz has a pretty nice sound system stock, enjoy it... don't ruin it by trying to play something with an FM modulation device... a hard wired AUX input is the perfect way to go, and I'd see what they have for you like what I was talking about (Best Buy probably wont carry it though)

Night Wolf
08-25-07, 06:19 PM

<---- 100% Italian baby :)

Night Wolf
08-25-07, 06:24 PM
Man, this is what you want... hard wired....

I di the car list thing, but it says for Acura/Honda? I dunno maybe they use the same interface... it asked for what type of ipod, I just picked the classic 3rd/4th generation.....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SKwH4cy95Fu/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=581PA11HON

If Best Buy has a *hard wired* kit, then go for it... but I'm telling you, stay away from FM modulation unless you just want to "hear" your songs over the car radio without caring much about quality....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-25-07, 06:30 PM
Eh, but to do that, I would probably have to get a new headunit, and I ain't doing that. I know people who have had the iPod travel kits, and they say the sound quality is good and they're satisfied with them.

MORE PICS & acceration/driving videos.

The camera doesn't show it very good, but it's got the Xenons.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1500.jpg

It's got a foglight on the rear too, also known as the Autobahn light. It's so when people are coming up on you at 100+ mph, they see where you car is in the lane.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1501.jpg

35-60 WOT.
Jmi05gStQ8Y

Driving home from the dealer
bGeU00NOT24

Playdrv4me
08-25-07, 06:35 PM
i agree 100 percent about shitty fm modulators but on the benz A good quality cassette adapter should be a more than sufficient match for the bose, unless youre wanting ipod control as well. the irony? a good cassette adapter costs all of 10.00.

Night Wolf
08-25-07, 06:38 PM
Eh, but to do that, I would probably have to get a new headunit, and I ain't doing that. I know people who have had the iPod travel kits, and they say the sound quality is good and they're satisfied with them.

no, its designed to work with the factory HU, thats why its pricey.

The easy way out with be to get an aftermarket HU with an AUX input right on the front :)

But that particular design is hardwired, for the factory headunit.

FM modulation can sound "alright" if done correctly... my fathers XM in his '99 GTP was hard wired FM modulation... it sounded like an average recorded CD..... just alright at best.

You're CD changer in the DeVille was FM modulation, to get it to work with that factory HU... weather it was wired or not, I dunno... I'm betting wired though.... so you can kinda see the quality... its not horrible sounding, its just not good sounding.... and the better the sound system, the worse it'll sound too...

But you seem set on this ipod travel kit thing, so go for it... I'm sure it'll work out fine :)

Night Wolf
08-25-07, 06:43 PM
i agree 100 percent about shitty fm modulators but on the benz A good quality cassette adapter should be a more than sufficient match for the bose, unless youre wanting ipod control as well. the irony? a good cassette adapter costs all of 10.00.

Yeah, the cassette adapater itself is much better then FM modulation.... in fact, thats what I've been using on the Town Car, and that has a nice 9-speaker JBL system in it... I am actually content with the quality, hence me not rushing to get a factory HU with CD controls and that adapter.... yeah it dosn't look the best having a wire stick out from the dash, and my cassette adapter (one that came with my XM Roady years ago) is picky, and the cord has to be turned just right going into the PSP or the signal gets distorted... but it was free, and easy, and definitly gets the job done well.

77CDV
08-25-07, 06:45 PM
So has Chad's Golden Chariot got an official name yet?

derrty_deville
08-25-07, 07:17 PM
^Yep. 'Mercedes on a Stick' in honor of the MN state fair.

Jonas McFeely
08-25-07, 07:26 PM
:ack:

Now you have to change your name to I~LUV~Weinermobiles8792

On a more serious note: Nice car, i kinda like it.

Night Wolf
08-25-07, 09:45 PM
:ack:

Now you have to change your name to I~LUV~Weinermobiles8792

On a more serious note: Nice car, i kinda like it.

Or I~LUV~W140s ;)

derrty_deville
08-25-07, 10:10 PM
Must have took alot of time for you to think of a name better than the one Jonas picked.:mob:

Destroyer
08-25-07, 10:46 PM

I've said this before but I'll repeat it. Your car is wired for a CD changer. Alpine sells a CD/mp3 changer with the connector to fit the wire in your trunk. You can pick up said Alpine CD/MP3 changer from ebay brand new for under $300 and it sounds excellent!. http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Parts-Accessories_Car-Audio-Video__mercedes_W0QQ_kwZmercedes?_rkw=cd+changer
I dont see one listed on Ebay right now but they do have the standard Alpine CD changers for the W140. Keep an eye out. The factory stereo really comes alive with CD and MP3 discs.

Destroyer
08-25-07, 11:32 PM
:eek: nothing. IMO it looks like a big shoe box and the interior is just ugly. The car does nothing for me.
Dude you drive a CTS, the modern interpretation of the Cimarron. The CTS has a very cheaply made interior and is more fitting to a base model Chevy. The exterior of the CTS while following the lines of most newer Cadillacs is just butt ugly. But other than that I'm sure its a fine car. Its crazy how drivers of lesser vechicles have the balls to criticize a car superior to their own. :bananasplit:

Adam
08-25-07, 11:47 PM
Dude you drive a CTS, the modern interpretation of the Cimarron. The CTS has a very cheaply made interior and is more fitting to a base model Chevy. The exterior of the CTS while following the lines of most newer Cadillacs is just butt ugly. But other than that I'm sure its a fine car. Its crazy how drivers of lesser vechicles have the balls to criticize a car superior to their own. :bananasplit:

I like style. The CTS has style. That ugly ass benz? Looks like a shoebox. I don't care how much that car cost *new*. I'll agree on the interior but I like the way the CTS interior is styled way better than that benz. And the CTS is hardly "lesser" compared to that thing. A new one, yeah I'll agree the CTS is "lesser" but not an old cheap ass benz.

Destroyer
08-25-07, 11:58 PM
I like style. The CTS has style. That ugly ass benz? Looks like a shoebox. I don't care how much that car cost *new*. I'll agree on the interior but I like the way the CTS interior is styled way better than that benz. And the CTS is hardly "lesser" compared to that thing. A new one, yeah I'll agree the CTS is "lesser" but not an old cheap ass benz.
You do know that only 4 years separate his old cheap Benz from your Cimarron, sorry CTS right?. You coulda just bought a newer Malibu and had the same feeling you get in your CTS though. You dont know what a real Cadillac is and you probably never will. Regardless, you drive an ugly, cheaply made car and in my eyes that does not put you in a favorable position when talking about cars that are nicer than yours.

Adam
08-26-07, 12:03 AM
You do know that only 4 years separate his old cheap Benz from your Cimarron, sorry CTS right?. You coulda just bought a newer Malibu and had the same feeling you get in your CTS though. You dont know what a real Cadillac is and you probably never will. Regardless, you drive an ugly, cheaply made car and in my eyes that does not put you in a favorable position when talking about cars that are nicer than yours.

WTF? That has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard you say. And you say a lot of stupid things. You think my CTS is the first and only Cadillac I have ever owned? You need to get your shit straight. I know what real Cadillac is. I have owned several Cadillacs. Again, Malibu's don't have style like the CTS. Feeling is mutual about that benz. I don't like it. It is an ugly POS. And no amount of putting down my CTS will change how I think of that car, no matter how many times you call it a Cimarron which I guess is to try to piss me off? And I could care less about being in a favorable position with you. Your opinion means shit to me.

96Fleetwood
08-26-07, 12:06 AM
Why do you have that picture of someone else's '06 Z06 in your signature? Why not put your own 2008 Vette in your own sig?

I know that is a famous car that is the star of all the youtube videos.. but why not put your own car in there?

Enjoy the w140 Chad, jealousy is the sincerest form of flatterly ;)

Adam
08-26-07, 12:08 AM
Why do you have that picture of someone else's '06 Z06 in your signature? Why not put your own 2008 Vette in your own sig?

Elias, read my line coming soon. Besides, I like that picture.

Adam
08-26-07, 12:11 AM
I know that is a famous car that is the star of all the youtube videos.. but why not put your own car in there?

Enjoy the w140 Chad, jealousy is the sincerest form of flatterly ;)

I like the car.

And I'm not jealous of Chad's car. Why would I be jealous of a car I don't like? Elias I have no problem with you. I don't know what the fuk your problem is. Because I don't like that car? Who the fuk cares? Chad knows I'm happy for him getting the car he likes. Destroyer and I have never seen eye to eye and this is nothing new.

Night Wolf
08-26-07, 12:11 AM
:pop2:

Night Wolf
08-26-07, 12:15 AM
lol.... and you know what the best part about this is?

While everyone is here bickering about their own personal opinions on someone else' car..... Chad dosn't give the least bit of care what goes on in this thread cause hes out enjoying his new car, and thats all that matters cause he is the one that paid for it, that owns it and that drives it :)

Adam
08-26-07, 12:17 AM
Exactly. Chad knows I'm happy for him getting the car he likes. I said that was all that mattered was he liked the car. So don't patronize me cause I don't like it.

gdwriter
08-26-07, 01:02 AM
French can sound pretty romantic too, then again I had like seven years of it so I could be biased. Then again when talking about cars that would leave us with either a Citroen or a Renault and those certainly leave a bad taste in ones mouth!

J'adore mon Cadillac... c'est la voiture la plus interessante et la plus belle au monde.Speaking of cars with French names, "Chevrolet" is French, although Louis Chevrolet was born in Switzerland, he later moved to France.

I remember when I was just learning to read, I didn't understand why the name of our car wasn't pronounced like it's spelled. But I always thought "Chevrolet" sounded pretty, compared with dull names like "Ford" or "Dodge."

Florian
08-26-07, 01:04 AM
need your Huggy Bear outfit to drive that yacht...

F

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-26-07, 01:39 AM
need your Huggy Bear outfit to drive that yacht...

F

Thanks man, I appreciate that! :)

Exactly. Chad knows I'm happy for him getting the car he likes. I said that was all that mattered was he liked the car. So don't patronize me cause I don't like it.

Look Adam, I appreciate that you're happy I got the car I wanted, really, I like the fact that you're happy for me even though you don't particularly like my choice in car, and I respect your opinion, even though it's different than mine, but can you PLEASE stop calling it an ugly POS in my thread? It's one thing if you're like "oh hey, I never really liked those", etc etc, but calling it an ugly POS is kinda disrespectful, especially considering I just purchased it 36 hours ago.

Or I~LUV~W140s ;)

Haha, do you ever spend time over on www.mbworld.org? That's my screen name over there.

I'm finding out that this thing gets quite a bit of attention. For example, I've got these neighbors that have really never talked to anyone in our family, or anyone on our block since they moved in, and as I was getting in my car tonight to go mow a lawn, the man who lives there yells across the street "hey, awesome car there man! I really like it!" And I was somewhat shocked, so I said back to him...."uhhh, thanks, I really appreciate that..." and he said something like "oh, yeah, that's a pretty big car for a little guy like you!" and I was like "ohhh, yeah, well I've always had big cars." and he was like "cool, well that is an awesome car!!". Sweet. And then yesterday, we were having our driveway redone, and the men that were doing it came over at like 8:30, so I had my Caddy parked on the street, and when I came home with the Benz at about 2:30, one of the guys that was there in the morning said to me "That's quite a step up from the Caddy there!" and I was like "hey, thanks man, I really appreciate that!" Comin' from a total stranger.

And then this...

After I mowed this gentleman's lawn earlier this evening, I went out for a little drive to enjoy the Benz. I was stopped at a stoplight, and I was first in the row. I see a couple of guys in bikes on the corner who were dressed very nicely (think geek squad), so I figured they were guys from the Geek Squad. Well they got the ok to cross on their bikes, and one of them stops almost directly in front of my car and shouts out "Do you wanna go to church tomorrow???!" And I look at him like WTF and he asks me again, and I shake my head and he says "ok man, have a great night!" Then rides off. WTF...damn nosey Jehovas Witnesses. Must have thought I was rakin' in the big bucks, wanted me to donate to their church.. Pffft.

Oh, I got my first taste of Mercedes ownership today. I checked my oil and it's black, so I called over to the local M-B dealership for a price on the oil change. I figured $40-$50. Nope. $122.. I called up there, told them what I had, what I needed and asked what it would cost. He goes "oh, '99, that's the last year they needed synthetic....yeah, that'll be around $122 after tax. DAMN!

Night Wolf
08-26-07, 01:47 AM
Haha, do you ever spend time over on www.mbworld.org? That's my screen name over there.

Hence the wink :) Same user name.... I was there a bunch (mostly reading) a long time ago when I was interested in the W126 :)

Playdrv4me
08-26-07, 01:49 AM
For the love of fuk guys! Why such animosity over a damn car? I love W140s and I like CTS's alot too. Both cars have their shortcomings, like any car.

I probably wouldnt drive ANY garden variety CTS over an S Class, but you flash a CTS-V in my face and its all over! Respect where its due! Difference is, the CTS-V is a 25k car, the W140 costs over 10 thousand less for a pristine example like Chad's, and will depreciate at the rate of a polar ice-flow.

Adam
08-26-07, 02:16 AM
Chad, nothing was meant toward you. You can thank that prick Destroyer.

AMGoff
08-26-07, 02:29 AM
Ha! And you all accused me of "attitude"... just image if I told you all what I *really* think of the car...

If nothing else you guys amuse me to no end with how seriously you take yourselves...:)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-26-07, 02:33 AM
Ah, your attitude isn't so bad, I apologize for getting rather strict with ya there bud. You seem like a pretty cool guy, and a welcome addition to our club.

Playdrv4me
08-26-07, 02:35 AM
Ah, your attitude isn't so bad, I apologize for getting rather strict with ya there bud. You seem like a pretty cool guy, and a welcome addition to our club.

I will second that.

Destroyer
08-26-07, 08:48 AM
Chad, nothing was meant toward you. You can thank that prick Destroyer.
Yeah Chad, thank me for Adam calling your car an ugly POS like 10 times. Doesn't really matter what kind of car, tv, toaster or whatever the hell it is. When someone says hey look at my new (blank), you either say something nice or nothing at all. Getting up there and calling his new purchase and ugly POS is pretty damn disrespectful anyway you slice it. Especially coming from someone with an uglier POS.

Destroyer
08-26-07, 09:11 AM
I probably wouldnt drive ANY garden variety CTS over an S Class, but you flash a CTS-V in my face and its all over!.Exactly!. A regular CTS is a girls car or an alternate lifestyle car. Not that there iis anything wrong with that but a CTS-V is a mans car and if you get it in black it helps hide the looks to an extent.:)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-26-07, 10:13 AM
Hey man, CTS's are cool too, but I've always preferred the bigger Cadillacs, that's just me though. I'm sure the CTS is a very fun to drive car, but ya can't really compare it to an S Class. Just like you can't compare a C230 Kompressor to a Fleetwood Brougham....The Fleetwood is da bomb!

Destroyer
08-26-07, 10:21 AM
Hey man, CTS's are cool tooShhh! I'm just busting his balls. :eek:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-26-07, 10:23 AM
oh oh, lol.

Anyways, I took these pictures last evening. Of the three cars I've owned, I've taken pictures of all of them from the exact same spot. These are the "showcase" pictures for the cars. I take these at the parking lot of the high school I went to.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1503.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1505.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1506.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1507.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1508.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1509.jpg

gdwriter
08-26-07, 01:35 PM
Great pics! The car looks very impressive.

Playdrv4me
08-26-07, 02:40 PM
Man, you are making me want one of those! That is a gorgeous color on that car, I think I might like it even better than black, it looks very modern.

Jonas McFeely
08-26-07, 04:56 PM
Hows the leather smell?

77CDV
08-26-07, 05:04 PM
Hey, Chad, do us all a favor and next time that neighbor of yours calls you "a little guy", run him over with your Benz. What a twit! Does he think you're 5 or something?

MN-STS-LOVER
08-26-07, 05:53 PM
Just have to chime in..I just had a ride in Chad's benz and can say that it is "As Advertised"

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-26-07, 07:52 PM
Hows the leather smell?

Actually, its got a really sweet smell to it...it's hard to describe, but it smells good.

Hey, Chad, do us all a favor and next time that neighbor of yours calls you "a little guy", run him over with your Benz. What a twit! Does he think you're 5 or something?

Well, I am like 5'6", 135 lbs, so I am by no means a big guy, but whatever, no biggie. I let that somewhat rude comment slide because of the compliment towards the car.

Man, you are making me want one of those! That is a gorgeous color on that car, I think I might like it even better than black, it looks very modern.

You can have one too, for the low low price of $12,995!

Great pics! The car looks very impressive.

Thanks, yeah, you're definetly getting a ride in it next time I see you.

I'm going down to the local M-B dealer tomorrow to have my my oil changed, then going back on Friday for a tire balance (steering wheel shakes at 50-55) and a coolant flush.

http://mercedes.feldmannimports.com/sitespecific/FeldmannImportsMercedes/medialibrary/Slide22.JPG

Yeah, it's not cheap.

96Fleetwood
08-26-07, 09:26 PM
I am guessing you are keeping it stock despite my subliminal messages?

I have issues, I have to modify every vehicle I get.. you should see what I did to the wagon in 48 hours :bouncy:

So.. ready to take a Road Trip to Chicago? There is a huge Cadillac show at Heritage Cadillac on September 22nd!! :thumbsup:

ted tcb
08-26-07, 09:28 PM
Good God, those service fees are obscene.
It reminds me of a friend who ran a BMW dealership in Oakville, Ontario.
I was getting a tour of their immaculate repair facility ... spotless.

A couple of guys were working on a 5 series, and I asked my buddy what they were doing.
He told me, "They're performing an oil service".
I asked, "What's the difference between an oil service and an oil change"
His reply, "About a hundred bucks".

Night Wolf
08-26-07, 09:31 PM
$100 for a frickin' oil change!?!?!?!?!?!?

Alright, so it's Mobil 1.... big whoop..... its about $45 in oil and a filter...

$160 to change coolant? unless its different then every other car where you..... drain the old stuff out, then fill it back up with about $20 worth of anti-freeze.....

man............. I'll be quiet now :)

Destroyer
08-26-07, 09:37 PM

Alright, so it's Mobil 1.... big whoop..... its about $45 in oil and a filter...

$160 to change coolant? unless its different then every other car where you..... drain the old stuff out, then fill it back up with about $20 worth of anti-freeze.....

man............. I'll be quiet now :)In this case you are right. First of all never ever ever ever do this stuff at the dealership. Find an independant MB/German car mechanic. I paid to have my oil changed and yeah it cost me $90 but the car does take like 8 quarts. Overall though its been one of the cheapest cars I have had to maintain for the 2 years I had it but I know I was lucky I had no problems.

96Fleetwood
08-26-07, 09:58 PM

man............. I'll be quiet now :)

My Dad paid $118 per oil change on his 2005 STS V8.

It was $180 for the oil change on their '96 Bentley Turbo R... and $120-$140 for the oil change on the 760Li and SL55 AMG.

The price you pay to play in the big leagues.

That is why I am driving SBC powered cars.... at least until I make the big $$$

Oh, and the Benz filters are expensive if I remeber. I don't think you can buy them at your average auto parts store.

gary88
08-26-07, 10:06 PM
So.. ready to take a Road Trip to Chicago? There is a huge Cadillac show at Heritage Cadillac on September 22nd!! :thumbsup:

Heritage? I bought my car there, and take it for repairs and service work. Excellent dealer, great people. I'll see if I can make it that weekend now that I'm in Chicago for college.

GO CHAD GO

Night Wolf
08-27-07, 08:42 AM
My Dad paid $118 per oil change on his 2005 STS V8.

It was $180 for the oil change on their '96 Bentley Turbo R... and $120-$140 for the oil change on the 760Li and SL55 AMG.

The price you pay to play in the big leagues.

That is why I am driving SBC powered cars.... at least until I make the big $$$

Oh, and the Benz filters are expensive if I remeber. I don't think you can buy them at your average auto parts store.

The price to play in the big leages?

No, its the price to get your car serviced at the dealer.

I bet if I owned that S320, I could keep it maintained cheaper then someone with a Malibu, if they went to the dealer for everything, and I did my own work..... unless one of those $1,500 self closing door acutaors goes out....

Benz oil filter is the replaceable element design, not the normal filter most cars have....

Advance Auto carries the filters.... Purolator.... for a whopping $8.44

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=PUR&MfrPartNumber=L44757&PartType=1&PTSet=A

I never realized how much money I save by doing my own work.... Aimee's mom has a 1999 Honda Oddessy (on its 4th transmission at 140k!) and the shift interlock thing went bad so it coudln't shift from park... towed it to the dealer, they fixed that... and the serpentine belt tensions they said was frozen, and a new belt.... and they said the right front motor mount was bad and needed to be replaced.... $890 for that work, and she was alright paying that cause it had to be done and its the cost of maintaining cars. I looked at the recipet..... $380 was in parts (from the dealer too) the rest was labor.

They recently got a 2001 Camry, and it has 60k miles on it now so she called the dealer to ask what the car needs at 60k, and they said the 60k service is a big one and gave a list... mostly just tune up stuff, plugs/wires etc.... all the fluids get changed (oil/coolant/trans) tire service, all filters etc.... and it was $500..... MAYBE $150 in parts?

For me to spend almost $900 on a repair.... I honestly can't imagine that... most I spent on my car was $550, and that was a new set of premium tires.... I just can't imagine spending soo much money for work on the car... only thing I would pay that much for would be something I really coudln't do, and the main thing that comes to mind would be an automatic trans rebuild....

Not even the dealer though, most independent shops are charging $70/hr.... local Ford dealer from what I've heard is a bargin at $80/hr.... That is alot of money. When the Blend Door Actuator went bad on my car (actually I bought it like that but wasn't aware) I went to the dealer to find out about it and get the thing.... it was a $70 part, but would have cost me $1,100 to have it done! It requires removing the dashboard (same as the heater core, which was also bad....twice) but still... thats just crazy.... and people pay it.

Aimee took her '92 Regal to the Havoline Xpresslube cause her dad has been busy and I am here.... like $38 for a basic oil change.... I dunno.... On my Town Car, I use a Motorcraft filter, which is really a Purolator PureONE filter element in a Premium Plus casing... it is $3.44. Since Mobil 1 isn't real synthetic anymore, I decided not to use it, and I have been running, and will probably continue to run Motorcraft synthetic-blend 5W-30, which is $2.88/qt, both at Advance Auto... 4.6 takes 5 qts. So I do an oil change on my car using an OEM filter and premium synthetic blend oil, for $18.... and about 20mins of my time.

I understand some people can't work on cars, or don't have the abality.... but I dunno... an oil change, really anyone can do... but still.... I guess the abality to work on my owns cars to the degree that I do is what lets me pick up these nice older luxury cars, but drive them and maintain them at far less the cost them someone with a new car.... and I don't have any car payment either.....

Playdrv4me
08-27-07, 03:51 PM
The middle ground between doing the work yourself (which I gotta be honest, without an A/C garage its just too frieken hot to do alot of this stuff without collapsing) and paying exhorbitant rates at the dealer for a luxury car, is to find a good independent German/Jap/Caddy etc. garage. I recommended that to Chad and so did Destroyer and he has already located one that seems good... He is not going to have everything done at the dealer.

96Fleetwood
08-27-07, 04:04 PM
Rick.. you think people who buy those cars want to work on them?

My Dad works on his older cars but why would he mess with a $295,000 dollar Bentley or $138,000 dollar BMW?

Granted the S320 is much cheaper to maintain and actually can be worked on by the common person... most of the expensive cars require expensive labor by TRAINED technicians.

I agree with finding an independent mechanic, preferably one who was a previous MB tech and opened his own shop (there are plenty).

But honestly Rick. These cars are far more complex than my Fleetwood or your Lincoln. Sure we can go buy factory service manuals and whatnot and spend days reading.. but we still do not have the equipment or training to even tackle the complexity the newer cars have.

You are talking about a Odyssey, Regal, Malibu, and Camry! I think the wheels on a Bentley cost more than a Camry....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-07, 04:27 PM
Yeah, can I even buy a service manual for my car?

I don't like to do my own repairs and a lot of the maintenance, therefore I'll gladly pay ~$110 an hour for a M-B (or GM or what have you) certified technician to work on it for me. It's a peace of mind issue mainly, and not to mention I am totally lacking in mechanical abilities.

96Fleetwood
08-27-07, 04:48 PM
Most people are like you Chad. Most people like the fact that dealer work is warrantied work for at least 30 days. Can't say the same when you mess things up yourself.

I spent all weekend working on the Wagon and Fleetwood. I now have 2 bandaids on, 4 ant bites, and a few scrapes and burns... but I enjoy it. I really look forward to my weekends with the cars.

Once I start making $$ and have a newer supercar.. I doubt I will be doing anything besides detailing, swapping tires, changing oil, brakes, and a few minor repairs. The rest can be done by the trained professionals.

Playdrv4me
08-27-07, 05:06 PM
Yup and some things like A/C you do once and you luck out, or you NEVER touch it again. It can be a complete nightmare. Not to mention the fact that youve got to ask yourself how much you value your own time and patience... sometimes paying someone else to do it saves precious time and energy you could have used doing something youre GOOD at.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-07, 05:12 PM
Definetely, and I don't feel like experimenting with my mechanical abilities on a Mercedes lol.

Night Wolf
08-27-07, 05:52 PM
The middle ground between doing the work yourself (which I gotta be honest, without an A/C garage its just too frieken hot to do alot of this stuff without collapsing) and paying exhorbitant rates at the dealer for a luxury car, is to find a good independent German/Jap/Caddy etc. garage. I recommended that to Chad and so did Destroyer and he has already located one that seems good... He is not going to have everything done at the dealer.

Heh, I just worked on my Lincoln this past weekend outside with a heat index of 108* F.... and that was not as bad as the past week.

I guess it really dosn't matter.... cause I am a mechanic, maybe not on cars, but still.... and I don't work in an A/C environment, though I work nights, it is still crazy humid and hot.... I'm surprised how well I've adapted to the heat.

I am betting labor prices at an independent M-B shop is still quite high....

Rick.. you think people who buy those cars want to work on them?

My Dad works on his older cars but why would he mess with a $295,000 dollar Bentley or $138,000 dollar BMW?

Granted the S320 is much cheaper to maintain and actually can be worked on by the common person... most of the expensive cars require expensive labor by TRAINED technicians.

I agree with finding an independent mechanic, preferably one who was a previous MB tech and opened his own shop (there are plenty).

But honestly Rick. These cars are far more complex than my Fleetwood or your Lincoln. Sure we can go buy factory service manuals and whatnot and spend days reading.. but we still do not have the equipment or training to even tackle the complexity the newer cars have.

You are talking about a Odyssey, Regal, Malibu, and Camry! I think the wheels on a Bentley cost more than a Camry....

You are right, thats just it, these people have loads of money, so they don't mind paying the inflated repair costs.

I am not saying anything for a $300k Bently, I've never even been in one, and have no desire to either.... maybe I coudln't work on one, but its not something I need to worry about. I am talking about the S320, which as they are older, like right now, they are cheap enough that people like Chad or I could sonsider buying.... not the case when they were new.

I am willing to bet that the $80k S320 Benz is pretty much a normal car underneath..... I mean, what really needs to be done by a factory trained person? Alright, so maybe that A/C thing that requires tearing apart the entire interior or whatever, but normal servicing? changing fluids/filters, changing seering and suspension parts? working on the engine? It's a car, underneath they all work the same way.

You are right, I was talking about an Oddessy, Regal and Camry.... and on these normal cars, IMO maintenace cost is just so much money... so on a car that would be 2-3x that cost... is just insane to me.

Ah well, I don't mind working on the car when it means I will save thousands of dollars.... and I can't picture myself ever owning a car that I cannot work on.... If someone else can do it why can't I? I can read and learn the same way they did.... if you need special tools, they can be bought, now before everyone jumps in, I am not talking about extreme tools or special diagnostic equipment, but we are not talking about doing extreme work on the car either.... the internet is a vast place, pretty much anything that you want to know is right at your finger tips :)

But, I understand some people just don't have the abality to work on cars..... I guess if paying such high amounts of money makes you have peace of mind, then its worth it.... I just enjoy saving money on car repairs so I can use it elsewhere.

But... it seems like I am getting flammed on this.... fixing a car yourself vs. paying someone.... Gosh, atleast I've gotten used to it now, so its not a big deal anymore.... heh I've always gotta be the outcast on everything.... so I agree, get the car serviced by these shops.... and enjoy the $100 oil changes.... afterall pepole tend to apperciate things they pay too much for, instead of too little... makes them think its better.

Playdrv4me
08-27-07, 06:12 PM
I wasnt flaming you, I was just saying I can barely go out there and work on the LR or the Lexus for AESTHETIC things in my apartment parking lot with that damn reflective pavement before I HAVE to go inside. I actually LOVE and PREFER the heat for most things over cold weather which is even worse when its snowing or icing out, but not having a garage, leaving the A/C issue out of it, its just nearly impossible.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-07, 06:19 PM
Rick, lemme put it this way. If a random person drove in to my work with a regular 3.0 V6 2002 Audi A6 and wanted some diagnostic work done, let's say an intermittent no start and the battery is good, we would refuse it. Because it's soooo different than what GM certified techs are used to...diagnostic tools, diagnostic methods, even the way the engine and drivetrain is put together, etc etc, not to mention we have to find a way to get into Audi's diagrams for parts and wiring, etc etc. It would not even be worth it to start working on it. We'd just send them over to the nearest VW/ Audi dealer.

Hope that helps.

Night Wolf
08-27-07, 06:21 PM
I wasn't saying 'you' were flamming me... but it quickly turned into a 3 on 1 debate with everyone saying why my opinion is not right.

Anyway, I know how it can be living at an apartment complex... its tough to work on the cars, though I did it all the time too.... but it stinks, that is one (of the many) reason I just do not like apartment complexes.

I know I really look forward to the day when I own my house house with a nice garage... and it is NOT going to be turned into a storage shed.... I've never had that, and its awesome, my carport at my house I am renting is about as close as I've been... and its just awesome... protected from rain, I can leave a project for a day or more and simply start back up when I want.... I really like it.

96Fleetwood
08-27-07, 06:40 PM
I wasn't flaming either, I respect your opinion. Heck, if we lived closer to each other I am sure we would help each other out wrenching on our respective cars. I am all for working on your own car, I rarely trust anyone to work on my cars, let alone ride in them.

However, after owning three German cars in the past, and having my share of ups/downs after working on one of them... it is best left for the experts. When you mess something up on those cars, you are in for a $$$$ treat. What I thought was a simple fix on my 944 S2 turned out to be a $1,700 dollar re-wiring the engine harness job after I decided to meddle with it myself.

I even had VW void the warranty on the 2003 VW Passat 1.8T that I bought new because I had it lowered and a turbo-back exhaust within the first month of ownership... :halo: I guess they want you to buy their own lowering springs and exhaust and have it installed at the dealership.

I wouldn't even dare to do some of the crazy work some of our members do on the Northstar cars. I give everyone props who has replaced the head gaskets/timeserts.

There are fewer independent mechanics who can work on the high dollar cars. Any high school kid even at Jiffy Lube could do the oil change in your Town car (remind them to turn off the suspension before the lift it), or my Fleetwood.. but take them a S320 and you might get a puzzled look on their faces.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-07, 06:44 PM
Hahaha. My car at a Jiffy Lube.

Night Wolf
08-27-07, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I know what you are saying.

I dunno, I guess what another reason why I like the cars I do.... because I "can" work on them... Town Car is awesome for that, cause working on it, it feels like I was working on my '79 DeVille... but its a modern luxury car with modern features.

I've always wanted to give the N* headgasket/timesert thing a whirl.... IMO I think the bigest pain in the butt would be actually pulling the engine more then anything.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-07, 06:52 PM
Hey Elias, since you're the aftermarket whiz for the German cars, where would I go about getting prices for the goodies for the new ride?

96Fleetwood
08-27-07, 06:55 PM
Hey Elias, since you're the aftermarket whiz for the German cars, where would I go about getting prices for the goodies for the new ride?

http://www.bekkers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH&Store_Code=BI&search=W140

and eBay. :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-07, 07:06 PM
Danke schon. :thumbsup:

Jonas McFeely
08-27-07, 09:59 PM
Thank you beautiful?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-07, 10:01 PM
Nope, just thank you.

Jonas McFeely
08-27-07, 10:03 PM
I could have sworn "schon" is German for beautiful, but im probably wrong.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-07, 10:08 PM
Heck, maybe it is! It's been 3 years since my last German class, I might have gotten rusty.

Destroyer
08-27-07, 11:10 PM
Why name the car a German girls name?. Call it Adolf, now thats tough!.:thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-07, 11:14 PM
HAHAHAHAHA! You know, if he was still alive, he'd soooo be driving one of those.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-28-07, 12:17 AM
C5dw2mzwwCY

Clarkson's review of the (then) all new 600SEL.

Jonas McFeely
08-28-07, 01:22 AM
Hitlers Benzito:

http://www.motorbase.com/pictures/contributions/991201/std_1939_mercedes_benz_770k_cabriolet-hitler-_fvrtopmax.jpg

http://www.usmbooks.com/images/HOFFMANN/GD/HitGD3.jpg

Jonas McFeely
08-28-07, 01:33 AM
Heck, maybe it is! It's been 3 years since my last German class, I might have gotten rusty.

Schön is in fact German for beautiful. So you said Thank You Beautiful. Heh :eek:

Jonas McFeely
08-28-07, 01:35 AM
dYRtou_So4s

Night Wolf
08-28-07, 08:28 AM
I like this S-class review....

HmkX9mtF9zI

video in the post dosn't work for me :(

slk230mb
08-28-07, 09:08 AM
Rick, just the part after the = goes in between the youtube brackets.

Destroyer
08-28-07, 10:12 AM
I like this S-class review....

HmkX9mtF9zI

video in the post dosn't work for me :(Does that car have the warm and fuzzy feel you like and all the gadgets one could hope for?. Clearly Mercedes is catering to the people that once thought the interiors were bland and sterile. Problem with all that is that a car as technologically advanced as that will only be good to the first owner, after that it looks like it will be trouble prone and very expensive to fix.

77CDV
08-28-07, 01:03 PM
I'm still thinking Brunhilde is the name for this autobahnfrau.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-28-07, 09:24 PM
So I went in this morning for my first LOF in the new ride, and $111 later I have been officially welcomed into the club of Mercedes owners, or "the king's court" as I like to call it, lol.

I went in only for the LOF and came out with a free repair! Awesome! My exterior mirrors are the power folding type, and when I got the car, they were a bit loose, so they'd wobble at speed. Not anymore. I'm not sure what the tech did, because he did not note it on the RO, but after I picked the car up, they are solid as a rock. No more vibrations, even at 80+ MPH (had to test it out on the way home...made sure it actually was fixed ;) ). I figured I'd have to go in there and have them diagnose it and then shoot me the repair bill... So needless to say, I'm quite satisfied with the dealer I went to. (Feldmann Imports if anyone cares) Plus, they hand washed the car, vacuumed it out, and hand dried it, all for a normal, run of the mill OIL CHANGE! I'm extremely impressed! Sure, I did pay $111 for it, but I got a free repair, a $15.00 car wash service and a multipoint inspection, and the oil is good for ~6000 miles, so I have to do it 1/2 as often as I did with my Cadillac.

Oh, and here are the not so great results of the free inspection. I'm not mad or anything, I know this is an 8 year old car, and 8 year old cars are gonna need things, and the selling dealer will not make every repair.

-Based on age, it's due for a Transmission Service (flush+filter) $370. Not too shabby. At Chevy, we charge about $320 for the same thing.
-Due for a serpentine belt, $232. I noticed this when I bought the car, it's starting to crack a bit. Better keep an eye on that.
-Brake Flush, based on age and mileage. $140 (99.95 at Chevy)
-Coolant Flush, based on age and mileage. $160 ($132 at Chevy)
-Check strap for the LF door is worn, if that pops, it'll put a large dent in my door. $388
-Front Flex disc is worn, can hear that making noise when I put it into R. $453
-Rear Pinion Seal is leaking. $445
-Front Lower Control Arm Bushings are worn. $1025.

I'm glad they brought this to my attention, I know, the timing is sorta bad, but I'm glad I'm aware of this. After all, it is their jobs to make me aware, not to push me into buying anything.

Jonas McFeely
08-28-07, 09:36 PM
Oh come on, no comment on the Simpsons clip? I thought it was one of my best works. Lamers.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-28-07, 09:41 PM
I didn't catch it yet. I'm at work and we just got this uber strict "no videos while on the workplace" policy this morning. Our new general manager is hardass.

Destroyer
08-28-07, 11:27 PM
-Front Flex disc is worn, can hear that making noise when I put it into R. $453
-Rear Pinion Seal is leaking. $445
-Front Lower Control Arm Bushings are worn. $1025.

Wow before I sold my '97 that is exactly what the mechanic told me mine needed, drove fine to me so I didn't fix.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-29-07, 02:07 AM
Haha, funny story.

So no more than 30 minutes ago, my buddy Josh and I are out driving back from Denny's, and we pull up next to a few hot teenage girls at a stoplight in their late model Taurus. Well I look over and make eye contact with the driver, and they're all smiling, winking and generally flirting with us. I figure they'd be up for a race, and the light turns green and I take it to the floor, and they take off pretty hard too, I put a good distance on them by the time I'm at 60, and so I back off and they pass me and I look over and they all wave at me, and then they tap their brakes a few times when they get ahead of me to signal to follow (or atleast that's how I read it), so they took off into their neighborhood and I follow, kinda messing around, and they turn into a sideroad, but I keep going ahead, because I know I'm on a cul-de-sac and eventually I'll have to turn around. Which means I could see whether they'd be standing around by their car or gone (they were gone). So I get to the end of the cul-de-sac and there's a cop parked down there, and she just pulled someone over. So I turn around, but she can still see the car and us inside of it. So I start to go back down this road, and I see the cop is following me. She stays behind me for a few minutes then finally puts her lights on and I pull over. She comes over to my window and says "I don't see any plates or registration on this car" (I haven't recieved my plates yet, so I just have the sticker in the window, which is hard to see at night), so I tell her that I bought it on Friday and I haven't gotten my plates back from the DMV yet, so she asks to see my licence and takes it back to her car to run the information. About a minute later, she comes back, hands me my licence and says "have a good night", then jumps into her car and drives off relatively fast.

Haha, you shouldn't prejudge! She probably saw us behind the wheel of a car like this, w/o any licence plates and figured it was stolen. As for the girls in the Taurus, I NEVER got any attention like that in the Cadillac. Never.

I think I'm gonna have to start cruisin' around more... :sneaky:

TaVern
08-29-07, 02:19 AM
Okay Chad... Time to calm yourself down!

First, racing with a Taurus isn't racing... It's just plain pathetic.

Second, this would be more of a story if you were coming out of a Wendy's, Burger King, or KFC... Or another fast-food joint respectful of a "review" from yourself.

Third... Where's my damn "bacon-salt on the Baconator" review???

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-29-07, 02:24 AM
Ugh, don't remind me. That's just too much meat.

Jonas McFeely
08-29-07, 02:25 AM
Get a rusty, faded '68 Deville, youll get even more.

Playdrv4me
08-29-07, 02:38 AM
LOL great story chad. I guess Im de-sensitized to all these luxo-cruisers anymore so if anyone is looking at me I dont even notice anymore. The Range Rover admittedly, gets enough attention people compliment it and ask about it, and that didnt happen with most of my other cars.

As far as those things you listed, half that list is shit every german dealer will tell you needs to be done, especially the stupid control arm bushings.

Of everything there, the only immediate concerns would be the check strap for the door(though id verify it is really a trouble prone part first), and the serp belt. After that I'd tend to the transmission service.

TaVern
08-29-07, 02:38 AM
Get a rusty, faded '68 Deville, youll get even more.

More of what? Are we still talking about meat?!?

Jonas McFeely
08-29-07, 04:40 AM
More of what? Are we still talking about meat?!?

More stares/attention. I mean im used to people looking at me in my '85, but i wasnt prepared for all of the looks i get in my '68. Its tight. I mean it doesnt even look that great, but everyone stares at or says something. Now that i have plates on it, and its cleaned up, im gonna start taking it to parties. Getting it in the shop next Monday for a tune up and to diagnose the AC.

Best $500 i ever spent. Or rather my i spent and my Dad reimbursed me for. Helluva guy.:alchi::alchi::alchi:

Sorry to threadjack. Ive been drinking.

MediumD
08-29-07, 07:20 AM
I'm glad you like that car.. I test drove an W140 a few months ago. Yes it's a bank vault on wheels, but IMO it's about as exciting as one.

Destroyer
08-29-07, 09:27 AM
I figure they'd be up for a race, and the light turns green and I take it to the floor, and they take off pretty hard too, I put a good distance on them by the time I'm at 60, and so I back off and they pass me and I look over and they all wave at meLOL, you raced them. Man, seriously when they come next to you and smile and all that you dont try to race them. Either you or the passenger should roll down the window and talk to them. See if they are up to meeting up at the local diner or a parking lot close by and shoot the shit with them and get some numbers. :thepan:

Destroyer
08-29-07, 09:28 AM
I'm glad you like that car.. I test drove an W140 a few months ago. Yes it's a bank vault on wheels, but IMO it's about as exciting as one.Its just a NICE car but like you said not an exciting car which is what most luxury and wannabe luxury cars are. :thumbsup:

Jesda
08-29-07, 09:57 AM
In the beat-up 240SX cops look at me because they think I'm a drifter.

Girls think I'm homeless.

CoupedeVille'73
08-29-07, 10:06 AM
So I picked it up today, at about 12:25. Wow, what a car.

The car is miles above and beyond Cadillac (or really most any car) in terms of build quality and attention to detail. Some of the things they have in here are just insane. I'll go further into detail later if you wanna know. Otherwise, the thing rides insanely smooth...it doesn't have the slight bobbing motion that I'm used to while traveling down the highway, and it handles soooo nicely. I can actually accelerate through a tight turn or curve and not feel the least bit nervous, and it seems to have very little body roll, atleast compared to the deVille. The car inspires confidence behind the wheel. Complete and udder confidence. The seats are firm, but comfortable, and honest to god, there is more legroom in the rear of this than there was in my deVille, and that's no small feat. But I'll end up missing the plush seats, long flat hood, lamp monitors and other bits and pieces of the Cadillac, I'll always have a soft spot for the old girl.

My only worries is the negative attention it'll probably recieve, it's a higher profile vehicle, which is sorta what I wanted, but with that comes a few downsides...(cops and robbers lol) I have seemed to notice that women look at me as I drive by, which is just what the doctor ordered.

When I brought it into work today, for the inspection needed for the warranty I'm gonna buy, I was gettin all sorts of compliments from my coworkers, and when I went to gas it up (christ that was expensive!) a guy in a E46 3 Series convertible gave me the thumbs up, and then later, a couple in a E39 528i gave me the thumbs up....I could def. get used to this.

Now all I've gotta do is get it so I can play my iPod thru the stereo. And then read thru the owner's manual to figure some things out. I forsee a trip to Best Buy tonight!

Gratuliere zum Kauf. Woher sprichst Du so gut Deutsch?

Congratulations to your buy. How comes you speak german so good?

Now let me tell you one thing. A Benz is something real special for sure. And all the admiration you get with it is worth the money.

But:
Over here in Germany it is just the other way round. When riding in a Benz,no one will take any notice of you. On the other hand, when I start up my 37 year old Coupe deVille, heads turn on the spot and thumbs go up (male and female).

So it is all relative. One will always want to have things, that others in the surrounding don't have. That's what makes it fun.

Nevertheless you sure bought a wonderful car and she will give you smooth and comfy rides for a long time if you take good care for her.

I'm still happy with my old lady and can't wait to take her out the next time...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-29-07, 10:16 AM
Man, seriously when they come next to you and smile and all that you dont try to race them. Either you or the passenger should roll down the window and talk to them. See if they are up to meeting up at the local diner or a parking lot close by and shoot the shit with them and get some numbers. :thepan:

Note to self...... :thepan:

CoupedeVille'73
08-29-07, 10:34 AM
Note to self...... :thepan:

Never forget:

Compassion's for free,
but you have to work hard for envy....:rolleyes:

lol.... and you know what the best part about this is?

While everyone is here bickering about their own personal opinions on someone else' car..... Chad dosn't give the least bit of care what goes on in this thread cause hes out enjoying his new car, and thats all that matters cause he is the one that paid for it, that owns it and that drives it :)
there's nothing that could say it better...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-29-07, 11:52 AM
Oh, to answer your previous question, I took German for three years in high school. I've gotta say, aside from the US and possibly England, Germany is my favorite country.

Playdrv4me
08-29-07, 12:20 PM
Oh, to answer your previous question, I took German for three years in high school. I've gotta say, aside from the US and possibly England, Germany is my favorite country.

Ditto. I need to visit there before the 'bahn gets a speed limit!

Jesda
08-29-07, 07:13 PM
I would go to Germany to drink. Heavily.

eldorado99
08-29-07, 09:37 PM
Germany also has good pastries, and such... Nah I'd go there to drink too who am I kidding.

gdwriter
08-29-07, 10:11 PM
I would go to Germany to drink. Heavily.I would go to Italy and France to eat and drink. Heavily.

derrty_deville
08-29-07, 11:59 PM
Let's compromise. France in the morning, and Germany at night.

TaVern
08-30-07, 12:52 AM
Let's compromise. France in the morning, and Germany at night.

Add 150 pounds to my ass and be dead by 48... Does sound like fun, though :thumbsup:

:alchi:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-30-07, 12:59 AM
More pics and videos and shit:

The good life. A Cadillac and a Mercedes and a three car garage. What goes in the 3rd stall? You tell me!
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1531.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1532.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1533.jpg

The deVille parked in it's "for sale" location. :( Goodbye old girl, I'll miss you.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1535.jpg

Night shot of the guages.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1541.jpg

Driving down my favorite road on a beautifiul morning in the deVille
jhFQ53yAh2o

Watch the Xenon's auto level!
4eIYX5KDWHo

I went and filled up from about 3/4 of a tank today (379 miles). At $3.19 a gallon, and 20.4 gallons, it cost me like $64, but I got 18.57 to the gallon. Very impressive! It's almost like a 3800 powered Buick, but 900 lbs heavier. It's rated at 17/24, and I guessed correctly when I thought that it was rated conservatively...I bet, if I didn't drive it like a 20 year old, I could see 19-20 out of it. In the same sort of driving, my deVille gets about 15-16. I'm taking it up to my friend's cabin this weekend, and I'm gonna take a guess and say I'll get 27 on the highway..

Overall though, I'm very pleased with it so far, I love all the compliments I get! :thumbsup:

TaVern
08-30-07, 02:19 AM
Okay Chad... It's a very nice car...

HOWEVER... Is that a *CLOCK* in the dash cluster?!?

PLEASE tell me that's not a clock!

Night Wolf
08-30-07, 04:17 AM
I can picture Chad doing something like this....

AJ_42OufmD0

That video pointed out one really important (lack of) feature....

CUP HOLDERS!!!!

The most over built, over designed car in the world dosn't have cup holders? Thats a big thing to me.... I am just surprised.... It bugs the heck out of me when a car dosn't have cup holders....

CoupedeVille'73
08-30-07, 04:45 AM
More pics and videos and shit:

The good life. A Cadillac and a Mercedes and a three car garage. What goes in the 3rd stall? You tell me!

What about this?
click me (http://www.wiesmann-mf.com/ewirstart.html)

or this? (http://www.bentleymotors.com/Corporate/display.aspx?infid=41)

Destroyer
08-30-07, 07:48 AM
The most over built, over designed car in the world dosn't have cup holders? Thats a big thing to me.... I am just surprised.... It bugs the heck out of me when a car dosn't have cup holders....My '97 DID have cupholders. They were in the center console, just flip the lid and there they were.

96Fleetwood
08-30-07, 07:53 AM
They all have cupholders. Like Destroyer said they pop out of the center armrest area.

Night Wolf
08-30-07, 07:30 PM
Yeah, when I was thinking about it I remember Chad saying something about his cup holders being broke.

So either it didn't have cup holders in 1994, or that guy dosn't even know his own car....

eldorado99
08-30-07, 07:50 PM
Man I give those guys an "A" for effort, but they filmed that horribly. It looks like they tried to get it done in one day and didn't give a crap about the conditions. It looks like a high-school project.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-30-07, 10:47 PM
Anyone wanna buy my car? It's in the classified section.

derrty_deville
08-31-07, 12:51 AM
Would if I could. Lotta cash sunk into that to let it go at 2500 but the demand just isnt there.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-31-07, 03:36 AM
I can picture Chad doing something like this....

AJ_42OufmD0

That video pointed out one really important (lack of) feature....

CUP HOLDERS!!!!

The most over built, over designed car in the world dosn't have cup holders? Thats a big thing to me.... I am just surprised.... It bugs the heck out of me when a car dosn't have cup holders....

Neat video, but holy shit that guy reminds me of me. The same body build, height, hair style, glasses, similar attitudes and taste in cars. The only differences are that I talk faster, my hair is a lighter color and my nose isn't as long as his is. I'm not sure if the 1994's had any cupholders, but I know the 1995's did, because the '95 S500 I drove had them, but they were a different style than the are in my '99. My '99 does not have those rods that protrude from the rear fenders when placed in reverse, and the climate control is set up different, and my taillights are different too.

Other than that, it's similar. Eerily similar.

Night Wolf
08-31-07, 07:08 AM
Neat video, but holy shit that guy reminds me of me. The same body build, height, hair style, glasses, similar attitudes and taste in cars. The only differences are that I talk faster, my hair is a lighter color and my nose isn't as long as his is. I'm not sure if the 1994's had any cupholders, but I know the 1995's did, because the '95 S500 I drove had them, but they were a different style than the are in my '99. My '99 does not have those rods that protrude from the rear fenders when placed in reverse, and the climate control is set up different, and my taillights are different too.

Other than that, it's similar. Eerily similar.

It dosn't have the reverse rod things?

I thought that was a big thing on those cars... they musta dropped it in the later years.

Yeah, I guess in the mid 90's ('97?) they updated the car... like the tail lights... alot of little things that really help to freshen it up... the old style tail lights look very 80's M-Bish..... the ones like on your car look alot more modern... actually the color and everything else on your car helps make it look much modern then it is (even tho it is a '99) cause in alot of cases, when I see these cars, they just look so dated.

But.... lol, when I first saw that video, I gotta say, it did remind me of you on so many levels.... kinda neat. I think he talked slow to make his video. It came up after I watched yours on the bottom, so I was going thru them and thought it would be neat to watch.

Night Wolf
08-31-07, 07:17 AM
BTW, You mentioned in your video driving the Caddy about the long hood....

Does the FWD DeVille actually have a longer hood then the S320? I thought the Benz was bigger in nearly all dimensions....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-31-07, 04:39 PM
I'm pretty sure the deVille has the longer hood. I've never measured it, but when sitting behind the wheel, the deVilles hood seems a lot longer and flatter and the hood ornament seems a lot farther out, but then again, you sit a lot lower in the Caddy. In the Benz, you sit much more elevated and the hood isn't totally flat on that either. Plus, the Benz has no cowl...the hood goes almost directly to the windshield.

When I was at the dealer this morning gettin my coolant flushed, there was a '99 S500 Grande edition (AMG Monospoke wheels were part of that option!!) and a pre '97 S420. That one had the prop rods that came up out of the fenders.

Night Wolf
08-31-07, 07:34 PM
heh and in comparison the '79/'89 RWD Caddys have a longer and much flatter hood then the '93 Coupe.....the Town Car has a slightly rounded hood in comparison to the Fleetwood, but it is about just as long.....so its longer then the Coupe.

I'm surprised pulling a tape measure out and mesuring the length of the hood wasn't one of the first things you did :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-31-07, 09:08 PM
LOL no no. Don't wanna scratch the paint.

Playdrv4me
08-31-07, 09:56 PM
The rods were discontinued in 1995 I believe. The newer climate control is just miles ahead of the old one in form and function.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-01-07, 11:56 AM
I got that iTravel iPod hookup last night, works very well, very little distortion (if any at all), and I love having all of my music collection in my car with me. Only cost me $79. I'd say it's a hell of a good deal.

When I was out cruisin' around last night listenin' to the new iTravel, I was doing 55-60, then I took it up to 80 for a bit, then from there I eased on up to about 95-100. Wow, that car is a dream at those speeds. I swear to god it takes less time for it to go 80-100 at 1/2 throttle than the 4.9 did at WOT. Maybe if I can find a road long and empty enough tonight, she might see north of 100 again...with videocamera. :sneaky: ;)

Cadillacboy
09-01-07, 12:44 PM
Yeah, that would be a new cool video by yourself ! :D
How is the engine sound of it when acclerating ? Do you like it ? Do you think it's more comfortable to '98-04 Sevilles ?

Destroyer
09-01-07, 01:03 PM
I took it up to 80 for a bit, then from there I eased on up to about 95-100. Wow, that car is a dream at those speeds. I swear to god it takes less time for it to go 80-100 at 1/2 throttle than the 4.9 did at WOT. Maybe if I can find a road long and empty enough tonight, she might see north of 100 again...with videocamera. :sneaky: ;)Yeah real nice long distance highway car for sure. Around town its ok but you can tell this car is more at home at high speeds on the highway.:yup:

eldorado99
09-01-07, 03:00 PM
How is the understeer on that car Chad? I know you said the steering is nice and tight, but how about when you push it a little harder? I imagine it feeling a little barge-ish being that it is so heavy.

96Fleetwood
09-01-07, 09:35 PM
It is an autobahn cruiser. It does not have M3 handling, but it sure can outhandle most of the newer Cadillacs. Especially the S600 and 500 with the adaptive suspension option.

When I picked up my Mom's 760Li from Hendrick BMW in Charlotte, it was the fastest drive I have made... these big German sedans love the high speeds and do it with such grace, peace, and quiet! I made it from Charlotte to Virginia Beach in 4.5 hours!!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-02-07, 01:46 PM
How is the engine sound of it when acclerating ? Do you like it ? Do you think it's more comfortable to '98-04 Sevilles ?

I really like how this I-6 sounds...it's got a very melodic, smooth sound to it. The total opposite of the gruff bark of the 4.9. And under heavy acceleration, it emits a sound almost like a bypass valve when it shifts gears... I have no idea what that is, but I like it! As for comfort, idk, it's hard to tell. I haven't ever driven or ridden in a Seville of that generation for a long enough time to tell, but I can tell you that the seats in the Seville have a bit more give to them and are a bit softer. The seats in the Benz are quite firm and have literally no give, but they're comfortable in the long run.

How is the understeer on that car Chad? I know you said the steering is nice and tight, but how about when you push it a little harder? I imagine it feeling a little barge-ish being that it is so heavy.

The cars handling, for being so heavy, is quite nice. In turns, I'd almost say it's neutral...not much over or understeer. It's quite easy to follow a path close to the white line. On my way home last night, I threw it into a real tight curve at a speed around 30 (sign said 15mph) and I felt very confident in doing so. I would not do that in the Cadillac.

It is an autobahn cruiser. It does not have M3 handling, but it sure can outhandle most of the newer Cadillacs. Especially the S600 and 500 with the adaptive suspension option.

When I picked up my Mom's 760Li from Hendrick BMW in Charlotte, it was the fastest drive I have made... these big German sedans love the high speeds and do it with such grace, peace, and quiet! I made it from Charlotte to Virginia Beach in 4.5 hours!!!

Exactly! Out of all of the big cars I've driven in my life, this is the best handling. Now I've never driven a smaller performance car (ie M3) so I can't compare to that, but it's a very good handling car for what it is.

When my best friend was in Germany in '05, his host family had a 745iL, and he said he'd regularly see speeds around 150 in that thing on the Autobahn...and he said it was right at home there....very quiet, very smooth, very comfortable.

And here it is.....the 20-100 video!
mxaqMlZZRJQ

Not bad at all considering the sheer weight (~4700 lbs) and it's only 228 hp and 232 lb/ft out of a 3.2 I-6.

2800 rpm at 76 mph...this is the norm for these. I thought it was so odd to have a motor spin that high on the highway, but I guess I'm just used to the old 4.9 which would spin at like 2200 rpm at 80 or so.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1542.jpg

My two favorite cars.
The Mark IV. 1972 to be precise. The best year.
This one was a puke yellow exterior, with a nasty ass dark green leather interior and a dark green vinyl top. It was in "decent" shape and the owner wanted $6500 for it.

Good luck. :bigroll:
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1543.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1544.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1545.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1546.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1547.jpg

It's interesting how different The W140 and Mark IV are.
Gimme a few years, I'll have both of these in my garage.

Oh, the car was a dream on the roadtrip. I got 24.1 MPG on the way up, with speeds at 75-80, then I took it up to 100 from 20, and then I did 55-65 for a long time, then up to 70-75 again. On the way back, I drove much more carefully, because of the chances of hitting a deer and I was uber tired (lol, kept almost nodding off), it was very, very hard for me to stay alert. But the car is extremely quiet at speed, and its sooo smooth. The firm seats are comfortable over the long run, you don't cramp up or ache at all and driving it seems to make the time and distance slip away..you'll look down and see it's 12:10 AM, then look back down what seems to be minutes later and see it's 12:45.

Amazing. Truly amazing.

Night Wolf
09-02-07, 02:48 PM
the video looks more like 30-100 :)

I notice the oil gauge is always at 3, and you mentioned something about it too.... I wonder if the oil pressure sending unit is bad... common problem on those cars? That would bug the heck out of me.

Also, those have a 5spd trans right?

96Fleetwood
09-02-07, 02:52 PM
The oil gauge is staying at 3 because he is at WOT. I am sure if he was at idle, it would be in the middle.

They do have a 5 speed automatic, with a semi-tiptronic tranny where you can shift from 5->4 or 4->5 by pushing left/right.

Night Wolf
09-02-07, 03:01 PM
The oil gauge is staying at 3 because he is at WOT. I am sure if he was at idle, it would be in the middle.

They do have a 5 speed automatic, with a semi-tiptronic tranny where you can shift from 5->4 or 4->5 by pushing left/right.

WOT at 2800RPM and 76mph?

He mentioned in the past that the guage is always at 3, just like the other one he drove....

Yeah, the tiptronic thing is neat. So 4th is Drive (1:1) and 5th is OD, or is it a double OD?

I bet that thing is a nice penny to rebuild tho.

96Fleetwood
09-02-07, 04:46 PM
I thought you were talking about the video... I don't think it is a problem though. Those cars are very good at showing dash lights and chimes once a issue starts.

Cadillacboy
09-02-07, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the video and your replies !
I have to say it accelerated quicker than I imagined . May be you can outspeed Northstar Caddies if you mod it .

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-02-07, 06:02 PM

Actually, it stays at "3" about 80% of the time. It'll go to "2" if the engine is nice and hot and it's idling, so there is some movement in it. Like I said earlier, the manual is very vague when it describes the guage and what it indicates...it only says if it gets to "0" while driving, shut it down immediately.

On the '95 S500 I drove, the oil pressure guage worked like I thought it would...free movement all the way throughout the entire range. On both S320s I looked at, the guage worked like this one...reading mainly "3" but sometimes going to "2".

I don't think there's anything wrong here.

Also, those have a 5spd trans right?

Yes, and 2800 rpm at 76 is the cruise speed, not WOT.

I wanna race my car against an LT-1 B/D body from a 70 mph roll. I think that'd be interesting.

MN-STS-LOVER
09-02-07, 06:25 PM
Chad, We should do some runs sometime so you can gauge where the Benz stands.

Night Wolf
09-02-07, 06:26 PM
Actually, it stays at "3" about 80% of the time. It'll go to "2" if the engine is nice and hot and it's idling, so there is some movement in it. Like I said earlier, the manual is very vague when it describes the guage and what it indicates...it only says if it gets to "0" while driving, shut it down immediately.

Yes, and 2800 rpm at 76 is the cruise speed, not WOT.

It's an oil pressure gauge... what more does the manual need to say?

I would think the 0, 1, 2 and 3 stands for bars/kpa, metric version for measureing pressure.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/51575088/Oil_Filled_Pressure_Gauge.jpg

http://images.solidcactus.com/autobarn/eqoilpresgau.jpg

Just a guess.

I know the 76mph thing was cruise, not WOT, but it was in reply to the comment about the oil pressure guage being at 3 cause the engine was under WOT, but I said that it was at 3 even under cruise RPM.

Destroyer
09-02-07, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the video and your replies !
I have to say it accelerated quicker than I imagined . May be you can outspeed Northstar Caddies if you mod it .
There are turbo kits available for it!:eek:

Cadillacboy
09-02-07, 06:31 PM
As I recall, my jags and 'lade too hit the full mark to the gauge . So, in normal operating range , the pressure gauge should hit the full mark . I don't know if this same counts for the W 140 either but I don't think there is something wrong with that .

Cadillacboy
09-02-07, 06:33 PM
There are turbo kits available for it!:eek:

LOL, yeah I know Mossellman kits . I would like to see the results lol

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-02-07, 06:40 PM
Gee thanks for the pictures of the oil guages Rick. Because you know, I had no idea as to what one looked like. :confused:

Turbo kits eh? I'll have to look into that.

Night Wolf
09-02-07, 06:48 PM
Gee thanks for the pictures of the oil guages Rick. Because you know, I had no idea as to what one looked like. :confused:

Turbo kits eh? I'll have to look into that.

Wow, way to be a smart-@$$.....

.... I put the pictures there so you could see the refernce between PSI and bars/kpa.... cause from what I was getting from your posts, you didn't know what the 0, 1, 2 or 3 ment.

Whatever.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-02-07, 06:56 PM
Oh whoa, my bad. I didn't notice they were both bars and PSI. I thought you posted those pics there to be a smartass.

Night Wolf
09-02-07, 07:23 PM
Nope, just something to show a comparison of the 2 units, Ameircan cars use PSI.... and it makes sense to me that number represents the units that your car uses... unless M-B really dumbed it down and 0 means low and 3 means high.... but seeing as how the engine temp is in *C, I doubt that, so I still think its bars/kpa.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-02-07, 08:16 PM
Oh ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation Rick. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-03-07, 06:43 PM
Some pics of my collection. (Never thought I'd honestly be able to say that anytime soon!)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1573.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1580.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1581.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1582.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1583.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1584.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1587.jpg

gary88
09-03-07, 07:34 PM
That last pic is excellent :drool:

Night Wolf
09-03-07, 08:05 PM
Heh, the Benz looks like a big car.....

But then when its next to the FWD DeVille..... it dosn't look that big anymore....

and FWD DeVille is almost 2 feet shorter then RWD Fleetwood/DeVille....

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1580.jpg

96Fleetwood
09-03-07, 08:12 PM
For goodness sakes Chad.. put some tire shine on both cars, especially the S320. ;)

96Fleetwood
09-03-07, 08:17 PM
The w140 is a big car. You really have to get behind the wheel to appreciate how wide it is.

It doesn't look big when parked next to the Deville though!

Destroyer
09-03-07, 08:41 PM
That last pic is excellent :drool:I kind of like this one better. Its almost as if the Benz is looking down on the Deville. :sneaky:

eldorado99
09-03-07, 10:39 PM
I kind of like this one better. Its almost as if the Benz is looking down on the Deville. :sneaky:

Replace Chad's Deville with mine and it'll look like the Benz is about to lose its frontend. :want::D

I do like your Benz Chad, I just have to defend Cadillac's honour. :)

Destroyer
09-03-07, 11:18 PM
Replace Chad's Deville with mine and it'll look like the Benz is about to lose its frontend. :want::D

True that!:D I love '70 Cadillacs but I hate any Wrong wheel drive Cadillac.

77CDV
09-04-07, 12:22 AM
Though I know she's going away, I still have to give you great credit for keeping Angie looking prime. I'm kinda surprised she hasn't sold yet. Someone somewhere is going to get a very nice car when she goes.:(

77CDV
09-04-07, 12:26 AM
I kind of like this one better. Its almost as if the Benz is looking down on the Deville. :sneaky:
Looks more like the Caddy would like nothing better than to thump the Benz and the Benz is shrinking away!:stirpot:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-04-07, 12:27 AM
True that!:D I love '70 Cadillacs but I hate any Wrong wheel drive Cadillac.

Funny you mention that. When I return into the land of Cadillac, I'd like to do it in a big ol' boat, with a high compression 472 or 500, RWD and loads of personality. I'm thinking something from 68 or 70, or maybe '69...preferably a Sedan deVille hardtop, but any deVille would be sweet. Something like your car... Otherwise, anything from 1979 or 1981 would be good, but I'd prefer somethin with a huge amount of power, not something with a huge lack of power lol. J/K owners of 1979 and 81 Cadillacs! ;)

For goodness sakes Chad.. put some tire shine on both cars, especially the S320. ;)

Yeah, I did the general wash on the S last night, but I've still gotta clean and condition the leather, buy floormats, wax the car, shine the tires and wheels, and get this odd residue off parts of the wood trim in the center console. I tried real mild dish soap and water yesterday, and that got most of it off, but not this residue crap.

Heh, the Benz looks like a big car.....

But then when its next to the FWD DeVille..... it dosn't look that big anymore....

Yeah, but the Benz looks bigger in person. It's hard to explain, maybe it's because the deVille is all flat and low, and the benz is more of a wedge shape and taller. The Benz certainly has a presence that is unmatched by any Cadillac short of a Brougham.

96Fleetwood
09-04-07, 07:08 AM
Here are some floor mats for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-Mercedes-Benz-S320-Floor-Mats-Set-4-Tan-OEM_W0QQitemZ140152734203QQihZ004QQcategoryZ33697Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sure beats the $135.00 the dealer asks!

Night Wolf
09-04-07, 08:21 AM
Yeah, its just the '85-'93 DeVille is/was the smallest DeVille made... .and the long wheel base version of the S320 looks to be just about as long as the car.

Something I've noticed in the S320, probably cause its European, and thats the style.... is how close the front tires are to the front of the car, there isn't that much space... whereas even on the '92 DeVille there is much more of an overhang, and more fender in front of the front wheels.... thats just something I've always like on American cars over imports, kind of a big thing to me.... l like alot of over hang in the back too. I guess thats why I like big cars, cause you've got the large over hangs front and rear, but still a long wheel base.

That picture with the 2 cars nose to nose... the DeVille with the non-slanted nose, large grille, bumper that is lower in the center and bumperettes looks like a short Italian guy in a mob that will kick @$$, while the Benz is the taller, but more laid back type whos like "look lets just talk this over, I didn't mean to start anything"

I bet the reason why the Benz looks bigger in person is because the beltline is much higher, making the car look like it has more substance.... the '91-'93 DeVilles were very sleek and clean for what they were... compare the Benz to a '94-'99 DeVille and I think it would it would be a lot different.

Still though, we are comparing the extended length version of the S320, to the smallest generation DeVille, and saying they are about even.

Destroyer
09-04-07, 08:57 AM
Something I've noticed in the S320, probably cause its European, and thats the style.... is how close the front tires are to the front of the car, there isn't that much space... whereas even on the '92 DeVille there is much more of an overhang, and more fender in front of the front wheels.... thats just something I've always like on American cars over imports, kind of a big thing to me.... l like alot of over hang in the back too. I guess thats why I like big cars, cause you've got the large over hangs front and rear, but still a long wheel base.

You are a weird person. I have never ever heard a person whine so much about dumb things like you. Overhang? In all my years of reading automotive magazines or owning cars I never heard anyone ever mention "overhang". You are looking for any and every opportunity to covertly put down Chads car. :thepan:

Playdrv4me
09-04-07, 10:20 AM
The Deville retained the large front overhang in its later years because of the FWD running gear, not because it looked good... The STS and CTS have short overhangs in front.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-04-07, 11:32 AM
You are a weird person. I have never ever heard a person whine so much about dumb things like you. Overhang? In all my years of reading automotive magazines or owning cars I never heard anyone ever mention "overhang". You are looking for any and every opportunity to covertly put down Chads car. :thepan:

Dude, get off his back. He's making a valid point, even though it may be trivial to you. I'm kinda like Rick though, I too examine all the parts of the car's design, as unsubstantial as they may be. I don't think he's purposely (sp?) trying to put down my car, he's just comparing the two based upon the pictures I have, and obviously he likes the deVille, (along with Cadillac in general) more. So be it, I like the Mercedes more, so be it.

So yeah, I don't need any more arguments being started over my car. We had enough of that stuff right after I bought the car.

Anyways though, thanks for stickin' up for me, I appreciate that, but let's play nice. :)

Jesda
09-04-07, 01:04 PM
Both of Chad's cars suck. Mine is better.

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Destroyer
09-04-07, 01:14 PM
Dude, get off his back. He's making a valid point, even though it may be trivial to you. I'm kinda like Rick though, I too examine all the parts of the car's design, as unsubstantial as they may be. I don't think he's purposely (sp?) trying to put down my car, he's just comparing the two based upon the pictures I have, and obviously he likes the deVille, (along with Cadillac in general) more. So be it, I like the Mercedes more, so be it.

So yeah, I don't need any more arguments being started over my car. We had enough of that stuff right after I bought the car.

Anyways though, thanks for stickin' up for me, I appreciate that, but let's play nice. :)
I'm not sticking up for you I just think Rick should say "Chad I dont like your car" instead of trying to nitpick everything he doesn't like about it piece by piece. He has reasons for buying what he buys and you have reasons for buying what you buy as do we all. He did it to me when I bought the Mark VIII's as well. Its not that I really care or get offended personally, its just that A.Its not polite and B. It is annoying after awhile. :cookoo:

Destroyer
09-04-07, 01:16 PM
Both of Chad's cars suck. Mine is better.

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!Your Lexus just doesn't have enough "hang" to it and the right rear defroster button just doesn't give me a fuzzy feeling inside. Sorry but gosh these things mean a lot to me. :histeric:

Jesda
09-04-07, 01:19 PM
4 out of 5 dentists prefer the LS400!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-04-07, 01:26 PM
Oh yeah, well in a poll done in 2001 by J.D Power, 83% of stock brokers prefer the S Class, 92% of the african dictators prefer the S Class, and 81% of the world's jewish population prefer the S Class.

Playdrv4me
09-04-07, 02:36 PM
Pssh... so what. 88% of Arab oil magnates prefer the Range Rover. :p

Destroyer
09-04-07, 02:58 PM
Pssh... so what. 88% of Arab oil magnates prefer the Range Rover. :p
100% of people that prefer not making car payments prefer old Lincolns like mine. :thumbsup:

Jesda
09-04-07, 03:05 PM
Hey, Arab oil magnates don't care for payments either. They plop down cash for new Bentleys!

Playdrv4me
09-04-07, 03:14 PM
Hey, Arab oil magnates don't care for payments either. They plop down cash for new Bentleys!

:werd:

96Fleetwood
09-04-07, 05:32 PM
I thought they liked fully loaded Suburbans?

gary88
09-04-07, 07:57 PM
No they like silver plated Audis

http://qster.com/archives/uploaded/2005/11/silver%20Audi%20A8%20Dubai%201-thumb.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-04-07, 08:17 PM
Ya, so I just got a call earlier from my dad..he said he was speaking to the insurance agent we used to use, who has got a lot of experience in the field, and he told him that both my Mercedes and my Cadillac are not insured because the insurance is in my parent's name, and both vehicles are titled in my name. They never told us this when we got the insurance, so needless to say, I am furious with our insurance company because if I had made any claims after I re titled the Cadillac (6 weeks ago), or since I bought the Benz, any claim I made would have been denied.

So I cannot drive my car home from work tonight, and I cannot use the Cadillac as alternative transportation, so I must get a ride home tonight, go to the DMV tomorrow morning with my mom, and have both cars retitled in both names for the insurance, and then it's gonna be tough to sell the deVille until I have the new title in hand, and that won't be for another 6-8 weeks.

MN-STS-LOVER
09-04-07, 08:46 PM
So Chad, have you always been listed as a "secondary driver"? if so, the agent is correct. You are not insured for any car that is not in the policy holders name. If you can't find a ride, let me know. I can drive yours, and you can drive mine. I can drive any car and anyone can drive mine and we are covered.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-04-07, 09:04 PM
Oh, I've got a ride, my dad's picking me up from work. Jeez, it's like I'm 15 and working at the grocery store again. :bigroll:

Playdrv4me
09-05-07, 12:15 AM
Hmm, this truly sucks. I think you might run into some trouble on this part because typically, any changes to the title on a car that is financed, must be approved by the bank that has the lien on the vehicle. Also, I dont know where in the process your title is, but you bought the car less than 30 days ago so the titlework is probably still being processed. If this is the case, no changes can be made to that title until the bank gets it back from the state if Minnesota is not a title-holding state.

This is usually very tricky to do if your parents were not on the loan to begin with. Hopefully it gets worked out for you somehow since you guys work with this bank regularly.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-05-07, 12:41 AM
Here's the deal. My dad is going to call over to our current insurance agent at 8:00 AM tomorrow morning to ask if this is in fact against their policy, and then give him an earful. He is going to call us back afterwords to let us know what is going on with them. Most likely, our insurance agent missed this and forgot to tell us and it's against company policy. If that's the truth, I'm going to call to the DMV tomorrow morning and see if I can add my mother's name to the title of either car, but it's tough because I haven't recieved the title on the Benz yet and it's hard to sell a car when the car's getting retitled. Anyways, if there are any complications on the DMV's end with the Benz, I'm simply not going to try to retitle either car, but I'm going to go over to the local Allstate office, and speak with the man who gave us the heads up in the first place and I'm going to set up an insurance policy, in my name, for both cars. So that way, both cars will be insured and driveable tomorrow. Then I can drive the Benz home tomorrow night and not have to worry about it anymore. I hate not having it parked in front of the house.

Jesda
09-05-07, 01:03 AM
What an incompetent douchebag of an agent. I like how my lady agent tells me sternly what I can and cant do. Its hot. :)

MN-STS-LOVER
09-05-07, 01:03 AM
Why can't you have the insurance in your name? Is it just a cost factor? The above comment is correct though. (sorry didn't quote it) but you can't just add your rents on the title of the Benz if it's financed. You would have to re-apply for a new loan to cancel the first one. Do you know that all you have have to do is call an agent...give them the car details, tell them you are going to use them and they will put up to a 30 day binder on it with out you having to pay dime one? Problem with that is that if you crash in that 30 days,....you do have to use that company.

MN-STS-LOVER
09-05-07, 01:07 AM
What an incompetent douchebag of an agent. I like how my lady agent tells me sternly what I can and cant do. Its hot. :)

[edit] Definitions
Spanking, by today's definition, consists of striking the buttocks, usually as a physical punishment, with either an open hand or various implements including a cane, a belt or strap, various types of whips such as the martinet and the tawse, a switch or other form of rod, a paddle, some curious devices such as the electric so-called spanker and trickster paddling machines, or various household objects designed for other purposes, such as a slipper, a wooden spoon, a bath brush, a wooden ruler or a hairbrush.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-05-07, 01:07 AM

Is this your insurance agent?
http://www.sydlexia.com/blogstuff/erin_esurance.png

Why can't you have the insurance in your name? Is it just a cost factor? The above comment is correct though. (sorry didn't quote it) but you can't just add your rents on the title of the Benz if it's financed. You would have to re-apply for a new loan to cancel the first one. Do you know that all you have have to do is call an agent...give them the car details, tell them you are going to use them and they will put up to a 30 day binder on it with out you having to pay dime one? Problem with that is that if you crash in that 30 days,....you do have to use that company.

So then....I guess I'll just go straight to allstate tomorrow and get a new policy and then call the bank and tell them what's what.

gdwriter
09-05-07, 01:48 AM
http://www.sydlexia.com/blogstuff/erin_esurance.pngNo, but I think she is:

http://shopping.animazing.com/gallery/willardson_04/art/canvases/images/505-1302%20Jessica%20Rabbit%2048x48.jpg

"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-05-07, 01:54 AM
Damn! That's a great cartoon rack.

MN-STS-LOVER
09-05-07, 01:59 AM
Gotta love "Roger Rabbit"! Jessica would be awesome in the co-pi seat!

Night Wolf
09-05-07, 05:58 AM
You don't have your own insurance policy?!?!?

Just go get your own insurance for both cars in your own name.... you'll be (legally) driving them again in about 30mins.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-05-07, 10:51 AM
My dad called our insurance agent this morning, talked it over and they added me as a driver to both cars. So I'm now insured under both again and can drive the Benz home from work tonight. :cloud9:

Rick, I save hundreds a year being insured under my parents.

Playdrv4me
09-05-07, 11:24 AM
My dad called our insurance agent this morning, talked it over and they added me as a driver to both cars. So I'm now insured under both again and can drive the Benz home from work tonight. :cloud9:

Rick, I save hundreds a year being insured under my parents.

Yea, dont get off your 'rents insurance til you absolutely have to, at 20 that would be suicide.

gdwriter
09-05-07, 03:41 PM
Rick, I save hundreds a year being insured under my parents.Yeah, I'd hate to see what your insurance premiums would be otherwise. Stay on the parental gravy train while you can.

JimmyH
09-05-07, 03:51 PM

I am with you Adam, uber-benz=uber-blah

And I can't shift it, I dont want it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-05-07, 03:55 PM
Heh heh heh, CTS guys raggin on a Benz. :bigroll:

AMG > V.

JimmyH
09-05-07, 03:56 PM
http://www.sydlexia.com/blogstuff/erin_esurance.png

:drool:

JimmyH
09-05-07, 03:57 PM
AMG > V.

Oh no you dont :mad:

Dont make me bring my V boys in here :cool2:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-05-07, 04:11 PM
:sneaky:

Night Wolf
09-05-07, 04:55 PM
I've been on my own insurance plan since the day I started driving when I was 16 with the Coupe. Started out paying about $2,400/yr for just basic liability on the Coupe. Now I pay about $1,600/yr for all 3 cars with comprehensive.

I wanted to be under my own insurance for the simple fact that, I lived with my mom, and besides her company saying they would deny her insurance come renewal time if she adds me, I didn't want her to be liable if I was to get into an accident, and if you are on your parents insurance plan, they can go after the parents, and their house etc.... Since I was on my own plan, they couldn't do that. Thankfully nothing ever came down to that, but it was something I thought about.

JimmyH
09-05-07, 05:35 PM
I've been on my own insurance plan since the day I started driving when I was 16 with the Coupe. Started out paying about $2,400/yr for just basic liability on the Coupe.

I remember those days. I was paying over $2k every 6 months on 92 Saturn back in the day. That is about what I am paying now a year for my Maxima, Pilot and CTS-V.

Playdrv4me
09-05-07, 05:51 PM
Credit can have an adverse effect on your insurance as well, Im finally 25 but Im still paying 135-ish a month for my Range Rover.

MN-STS-LOVER
09-05-07, 07:16 PM
Credit can have an adverse effect on your insurance as well, Im finally 25 but Im still paying 135-ish a month for my Range Rover.

You are correct sir! Credit is everything...age means nothing...who we are in the eyes of the "Man" is totally based on our credit score. Being in my biz I see how peoples lives totally are dependent on that one number.

Chad, ride the rents rate as long as you can...but keep in mind that they are (your parents) ultimately liable if you kill hurt or kill someone.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-05-07, 08:24 PM
Yes, I know that, but after 4 years of driving, I've only been pulled over twice, and one was a warning and the other was a ****-up. I've never got a ticket and I've only been in one accident which was not reported, so my parents know I'm a good driver and don't mind having me on their policy. Now if I start getting a bunch of speeding tickets or getting into accidents, then I get my own policy.

Jesda
09-06-07, 03:24 AM
This is your last chance to drive over a bunch of school children and blame it on your parents.

eldorado99
09-06-07, 03:36 AM
This is your last chance to drive over a bunch of school children and blame it on your parents.

LOL!! :D:D:D

I wish I was allowed to drive over school children... My stupid government says it's "ILLEGAL" or something... What's the world coming to these days?

Night Wolf
09-06-07, 06:53 AM
Yes, I know that, but after 4 years of driving, I've only been pulled over twice, and one was a warning and the other was a ****-up. I've never got a ticket and I've only been in one accident which was not reported, so my parents know I'm a good driver and don't mind having me on their policy. Now if I start getting a bunch of speeding tickets or getting into accidents, then I get my own policy.

I didn't take my '79 DeVille out one night knowing I woudln't be driving it home :(

JimmyH
09-06-07, 12:19 PM

or try to beat a train through a crossing

Playdrv4me
09-06-07, 12:28 PM

...with a schoolbus full of children FTW!

JimmyH
09-06-07, 12:38 PM
...with a schoolbus full of children FTW!

actually, I was referring to this

http://cbs2chicago.com/video?id=35378@wbbm.dayport.com

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-06-07, 02:03 PM

LOL! Actually, I did that by accident last week on my way to the iHop near the Mall of America.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-06-07, 09:35 PM
So I had them balance the wheels at my work now, and I was underneath the car for the first time...it's very clean, no rust, no leaks except for the rear pinion seal, but I already knew that, but I found out that my car has the optional Hydropneumatic self leveling rear suspension, and that's the one option I did NOT want. Why you ask? Because I heard it was $4,000 to have that retrofitted at the dealer.

Lovely. Hope that NEVER goes bad. :(

96Fleetwood
09-06-07, 09:52 PM
Wow, I didn't know that was an option on the S320, yours must be a loaded model.

Playdrv4me
09-07-07, 01:02 AM
So I had them balance the wheels at my work now, and I was underneath the car for the first time...it's very clean, no rust, no leaks except for the rear pinion seal, but I already knew that, but I found out that my car has the optional Hydropneumatic self leveling rear suspension, and that's the one option I did NOT want. Why you ask? Because I heard it was $4,000 to have that retrofitted at the dealer.

Dont feel so bad, Ive got air suspension on ALL FOUR CORNERS! Plus youve got an extended warranty, so no worries.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-07-07, 01:05 AM
Ehhh, I haven't signed out on that warranty yet. I might go in and do that tomorrow, my day off. I don't think the plan I'm gonna go with will cover suspension though, and if it does go, is that considered a maintenance item like struts and shocks are?

Playdrv4me
09-07-07, 01:10 AM
Ehhh, I haven't signed out on that warranty yet. I might go in and do that tomorrow, my day off. I don't think the plan I'm gonna go with will cover suspension though, and if it does go, is that considered a maintenance item like struts and shocks are?

You'll have to go with whatever plan specifically notates electronic suspension coverage, but once youve got that coverage the answer to your question is NO it is not treated like a maintenance item. The pneumatic suspension components are not supposed to "wear out".

Jesda
09-07-07, 03:25 AM
If its any comfort, there's 25 year old MBs with the fancy suspension still working fine.

eldorado99
09-07-07, 01:08 PM
I found out that my car has the optional Hydropneumatic self leveling rear suspension, and that's the one option I did NOT want.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/do_not_want_cat.jpg

Oh sorry, it's not Caturday yet is it...

Night Wolf
09-07-07, 02:27 PM
You didn't get your warrantee?!? I thought that $14k was for the car and warantee etc....

But... $14,000 JUST for the car :eek:

So what exactly is this system, besides auto self level which Cadillac uses $30 air-shocks and Lincoln uses $50 air-springs..... what does it do? Is it like Cadillacs magnetic ride control or something?

96Fleetwood
09-07-07, 02:57 PM
You didn't get your warrantee?!? I thought that $14k was for the car and warantee etc....

But... $14,000 JUST for the car :eek:

So what exactly is this system, besides auto self level which Cadillac uses $30 air-shocks and Lincoln uses $50 air-springs..... what does it do? Is it like Cadillacs magnetic ride control or something?

Cadillac's $30.00 air shocks?? Tell me where!! I will buy them and re-sell them on eBay. The air shocks for my 1996 Fleetwood were $113.00 each, so I just went with heavy duty Bilsteins for $70.00 each.

I think he got a good deal. They are bringing $11-13K at the auction with $70-90K miles.

Playdrv4me
09-07-07, 03:25 PM
yea and that was 14 with tax and everything included, 12,995 price i think. damn well worth it for that car.

And I dont recall the air bags for my continental being 50 bucks a piece.

gary88
09-07-07, 06:02 PM
I saw a silver S320 downtown today, pictures don't give you a sense at all of how large this car actually is. Definitely a handsome, classy car.