: What does "Manufacturer Vehicle" mean in a CARFAX report ?

ajmasala
08-24-07, 02:04 PM
A possibly naive question -
What does "Listed as a manufacturer vehicle" mean in a CARFAX report ?
Several of the pre-owned STSs I have researched seem to have this entry in their CARFAX history and were typically sold at an auction before being acquired by a local Caddy dealer.

Are these cars that were owned by GM for use by their employees ?
Any reason this is a good thing or a bad thing ??

T-I-A

regards..

jhschlak
08-24-07, 05:43 PM
Probably a PEP car, which means a GM employee drove it around for 3 months. Only real negative is, sometimes they beat the crap out of the car. You will probably be able to get if 10k+ below retail though.:)

tedasaurus
08-24-07, 07:19 PM
GM exec cars are usually a good buy. Don't see any problems with them.

Aurora5000
08-27-07, 07:46 AM
My '06 was driven for a year by the zone rep in west texas and had less that 4K when I got it. It Went to Dallas auction and was one of 12 STS bought by Bob Moore last Oct. in OKC. Mine was the only one w/ V8. Got a real deal on it and certified factory extended warranty. Had some scratches on it and the lowest part of the bumper on the front of the car had a dozen nicked places where it hit cement parking pylons. You can't just paint that lower section very easily, it is the plastic that has been damaged, you have to replace the whole lower bumper plastic piece.

MARKVIII
08-27-07, 08:50 AM
the material that the front and rear facias are made of are real crap. they chip too easily and are hard to repair.

dkozloski
08-27-07, 10:48 AM
"Manufacturer vehicle" means it was driven to destruction by teenagers in the employ of the factory and then tinkered up enough to be able to sell it.

Lifer
08-28-07, 10:30 AM
"Manufacturer vehicle" means it was driven to destruction by teenagers in the employ of the factory and then tinkered up enough to be able to sell it.

Isn't it hibernation time in the Artic regions? The bears need their beauty sleep. Especially this bear... :thumbsup:

dkozloski
08-28-07, 11:14 AM
Polar bears don't hibernate. They do get old and grumpy.

Lifer
08-28-07, 07:31 PM
Polar bears don't hibernate. They do get old and grumpy.

I see. But, polar bear hide is very useful it can be used as clothing, rugs, and blankets. The hollow guard hairs of the polar bear fur can be sold for fly tying. Polar bear meat can also be eaten.

Sounds like a mission for Blinkity Bear. :highfive:

Blake
09-12-07, 06:51 PM
A possibly naive question -
What does "Listed as a manufacturer vehicle" mean in a CARFAX report ?
Several of the pre-owned STSs I have researched seem to have this entry in their CARFAX history and were typically sold at an auction before being acquired by a local Caddy dealer.

Are these cars that were owned by GM for use by their employees ?
Any reason this is a good thing or a bad thing ??

T-I-A

regards..

I bought an essentially new SLS in 2002 with 400 or so miles that I think had the same or similair designation on the title and it was used as a courtesy car in a local professional golf torunament- (transamerica seniors torunament in NAPA, CA which cadillac used to sponsor) It looked like any other new car on the lot except upon closer inspection, the sticker had a ship-to address that was not the dealer, but a dealer auction. Got a really good deal on the car and was fully warranted.

magnumforc
01-11-11, 01:24 AM
I bought a 2010 CTS Premium Edition Sport Wagon with 32 Miles on it that showed as a Manufacturer Vehicle that went to the Mountain Region auction, then to AZ for titling and then to NV. I ended up with 14K off the MSRP, the 6 year 100K CPO warranty and had it inspected by an independent although it looked pristine from the Caddy dealer. Absolutely no idea why it went to auction at 32 miles unless there was minor paint or body damage and a refusal by the receiving dealer.

I know on Fords, I can check that through the OASIS system, but don't have the ability to do so on GM's. Ford will often have shipping damage, such as grease or oil dripping on roofs while in transit, which discolors the roofs on lower vehicles, chain damage from hold downs, minor hood or other body damage that they fix and then sell at the Ford auctions.

I don't know if GM has a Mountain Region auction specifically.

EChas3
01-11-11, 11:30 PM
I think you may have the bargin of the decade. Somebody decided it was spoiled goods and you end up with a near-new Cadillac with an outstanding warranty.

Drive it like you stole it.

If it breaks, make them fix it and drive it some more!

RippyPartsDept
01-11-11, 11:36 PM
PEP cars are sometimes driven very rarely... you never really know... but basically the car was not sold at a dealer... it went straight from the factory to wherever GM wanted it to go... some golf tournament, an executive, who knows...

Loren
01-13-11, 01:54 PM
Here are all the terms and what they mean.
http://www.carfax.com/Definitions/Glossary.cfm Scroll down to the 'M' terms.