: If you're not married... don't ever ever do it!

AMGoff
08-23-07, 01:11 PM
So I'm working from home today and the wife just came home about an hour ago. I went out to help bring in some groceries... and wham! Our Regal GS is gone! There's a blue Jeep Liberty in my driveway now! She claims she told me last night what she was doing... going to her office.. looking at Jeeps.. and then going to the store. Somehow I missed the whole looking at Jeeps part of it. It could be that I was watching Top Gear off the DVR last night (thank the good lord they're showing full episodes on BBCA now).

She said that the Regal didn't have as much room in it as her 300M did and that the ride was a little too cushy for her tastes. Bullocks! That was such a great car... after a few tweaks here and there I got her running quarters in 13 flat. So now we have two car payments again... wonderful. The worst part is that the new Liberty is coming out next year and the new ones actually look more like the old Cherokee instead of the "cute" current one... balls... isn't there like a three day cancellation period on all transactions?

Then she started laying it on... "Well YOU just got your Cadillac" and "YOU really love Jeeps" and "YOU will be sleeping in YOUR Cadillac if you don't stop giving me a hard time about it..."

If I had known she wasn't going to want the Regal I would have kept her and she could have just gotten a new car. Oh well... at least we're back up to having three Mopars again... even if the newest one is a german in Mopar garb....

Women... you can't live with 'em... and you can't kill 'em (unless you're OJ.. or Robert Blake).

RightTurn
08-23-07, 01:15 PM
:food-snacking:

PanAnna
08-23-07, 01:42 PM
At least the Cadillac is a major upgrade from the doghouse.

As a female, I'll leave the rest alone. :tisk:

Spyder
08-23-07, 02:02 PM
What are the other two mopars, hmmmmm?!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-23-07, 02:16 PM
That sucks man, them Regal GS's are a hell of a car.

thebigjimsho
08-23-07, 03:02 PM
Don't worry! I'm not married. And I sure as hell don't have 3 Mopars. Thank God!

AMGoff
08-23-07, 03:02 PM
At least the Cadillac is a major upgrade from the doghouse.

As a female, I'll leave the rest alone. :tisk:

Wasn't referring to all women in general... just this particular one! :rant2:

What are the other two mopars, hmmmmm?!

'97 Sebring convertible, bought new... 85,000 trouble free miles.

And my baby... an '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. What more can I say.. I've got the biggest woody in the neighborhood!

Ah... the GS... one hell of a sleeper, still can't believe she traded it without even telling me. :mad:

Playdrv4me
08-23-07, 03:06 PM
I listen to that financial advisor Dave Ramsey on the radio, and I cant ever imagine a relationship in which we (well, the future we, if there ever is a we) dont discuss at LENGTH something as financially important as a car!!

I mean shit, if the situation had been flipped around I would have at least called her from the dealership and been like "hey hun what do you think of this deal im getting?". Its really strange she tried to do it so quietly and quickly, whats worse, she got a Liberty!! Basically the same thing happened to her that happened to the girl that traded in my Range Rover with a full tank of gas and brand new tires... She got a SALESMAN.

The part that bugs me isnt so much the car, but the fact she turned a paid off great car into another car loan with payments. No matter how rich you are, thats a hit on your finances.

Oh well, I guess it could be worse (she could have ended up in a Compass), and you do have another Mopar in the driveway after-all!

ted tcb
08-23-07, 03:13 PM
Did she have the guts to tell you what they gave her for the Regal GS?
Good point on next year's restyle ... she's gonna be buried in negative equity for a loooong time after
the new body comes out.
Your only other choice is to go gay, and then you'll have his and his Yaris' in the driveway.

I give her credit ... she's got serious attitude, and it is her car, after all.

PanAnna
08-23-07, 03:24 PM
FWIW, I do feel for you. I wouldn't dream of making that kind of decision without consulting my husband even though I make well enough money that I could do the CTS on my own.

Just curious...if she had talked with you about it, would you have been able to talk her out of it or would the results still be the same?

AMGoff
08-23-07, 03:54 PM
She's a fiercely independent (stubborn) woman, that's part of the reason I married her. We don't have kids, she works, and we do make just about the same amount money (about $3000/yr difference), so we do contribute equally do the household income. She is an athletic trainer so there are times when she has to load quite a bit of equipment and the Regal was definitely smaller than the 300M.

I didn't ask what she got for the Regal but knowing her she probably did her homework and got a reasonable deal on it, but we didn't even talk numbers since I've been locked in my office all afternoon. I'm not really all *that* mad anymore, but I'm sure as hell not going to let her know that for a while.

I don't think I would have been able to change her mind. I have shown her pics of the new Liberty and she didn't think it was as "cute" as the current ones.

If anything it does have that lifetime warranty so at least I know we can keep it for quite some time. Plus it's not like we can't necessarily afford it but it's still a pain in the ass knowing we have two payments again.

On the bright side it's not like she came home with an import or some $50,000 car... then I would have been really mad.

Maybe I'll just go back to the dealer... buy it back and then we can have three car payments! Would love to see her face if she came home and saw it back in the driveway. You might laugh.. but I can be spiteful like that! Well.. maybe not, but at least I have a good reason now to go take a look at that '64 Buick Wildcat I've had my eye on.

dkozloski
08-23-07, 04:47 PM
The Regal GS I had, understeered like a dumptruck on slick roads. I say good riddance. I'd be buying your wife flowers.

Silver Dollar
08-23-07, 05:07 PM
Do it!
http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/buick-wildcat/images/buick-wildcat-1964a.jpg

Destroyer
08-23-07, 05:41 PM
I'm not really all *that* mad anymore, but I'm sure as hell not going to let her know that for a while.

No offense bro, but I dont think she cares. :eek:

Spyder
08-23-07, 06:48 PM
Wildcat sounds like a HELLUVA idea! :)

AMGoff
08-23-07, 06:50 PM
Do it!
http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/buick-wildcat/images/buick-wildcat-1964a.jpg

I remember my grandpop having a black one, a '65 I think. I've always liked them. It seems they really haven't appreciated much on the classic market which is good for me!

I've had my eye on it for a while now but haven't done anything about it. Although recent circumstances have changed things a little... I think the weather's supposed to be nice tomorrow too.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-23-07, 07:48 PM
I raced a 65-67 Skylark GS once in my LT1 Roadmaster, that was fun! I kept up with him pretty close until about 50 or so.

Spyder
08-23-07, 08:44 PM
Oh.

Thought you meant MOPAR mopars. :D

Mine is a '72 Challenger...in my group of folks I run around with there's also a '68 Dart GTS, '66 Barracuda, '67 Coronet, '68 International pickup w/ hemi, '72 Demon, '66 Charger and '49 Dodge pickup. :D:D:D

Jonas McFeely
08-23-07, 09:03 PM
My dad has had quite a few Buick GS's. A '65, '71, and '73.

I have a pic of his '65 GS 401. This was taken in the late '60s i believe.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/65GSfnt-side-corrected.jpg

Florian
08-23-07, 09:03 PM
This is what that beeeotchhh needs...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LKCN3CSLZuI

F

Destroyer
08-23-07, 09:25 PM
This is what that beeeotchhh needs...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LKCN3CSLZuI

FAfter that, you guys will probably make up and you can give her this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BKOiBZpUKW8

wait4me6920
08-23-07, 09:42 PM
I guess I'm in a very old-school marriage.

I can't begin to envision either my wife or I purchasing a vehicle without the expessed consent of the other. Damn, we go out shopping together before deciding on most anything other than expendables.

If you guys own property, I'd be tempted to put the paperwork (along with vehicle titles) in a lockbox that requires fail-safe, two-key admittance. :)

AMGoff
08-24-07, 12:49 AM
Oh.

Thought you meant MOPAR mopars. :D

Mine is a '72 Challenger...in my group of folks I run around with there's also a '68 Dart GTS, '66 Barracuda, '67 Coronet, '68 International pickup w/ hemi, '72 Demon, '66 Charger and '49 Dodge pickup. :D:D:D

I'll give you the Sebring, it does have a Mitsu engine, although still a good car and still a Chrysler. But you have to give me a little cred on the Wagoneer, she's a classic.

I guess I'm in a very old-school marriage....

If you guys own property, I'd be tempted to put the paperwork (along with vehicle titles) in a lockbox that requires fail-safe, two-key admittance. :)

While part of me would like a June Cleaver the other part likes the other paycheck. I can't say I'm completely innocent with regard to checking with her on every purchase I make (the hi-def tv comes to mind, I made friends with the couch that night) but never something like a car! I wouldn't say this was normal behavior for he, it definitely took me by surprise. She has always gotten the hand-me-down car since I have farther to travel for work so I can kind of understand why she would want a new car.

I think I was more mad that she got rid of the GS than the fact that she got another car, cause I really loved that car. Which of course was part of her reasoning since I would have fought her tooth and nail over it she just took the bandaid approach, at least that's how it worked in her mind. Besides, she handles the bills so it's not like I'm really gonna know the difference.

It's definitely not an "old fashioned" kind of marriage, but it's worked for almost twelve years. Either way I'm not going anywhere, I'll take the crazy I know over the crazy I don't! :rolleyes:

BTW - both of the deeds are kept in the safe deposit box. The only way one of us can take something out by ourselves is if we bring an original death certificate... I don't think she's that crazy :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-24-07, 12:53 AM
I <3 Grand Wagoneers. Definetly one of the most handsome SUV's ever.
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/1991/Jeep/3519/1991.jeep.grandwagoneer.5974-E.jpg

Destroyer
08-24-07, 01:23 AM
:beat:

BTW - both of the deeds are kept in the safe deposit box. The only way one of us can take something out by ourselves is if we bring an original death certificate... I don't think she's that crazy :)
Are you sure?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-24-07, 01:25 AM
Note to self: If I *EVER* get married, do not change the name on the title for my cars.

Jesda
08-24-07, 01:32 AM
96-00 Sebrings were quite beautiful cars. I'm baffled by the current one, which looks like gimmicky trash.

You should put it in your wife's butt and call it even.

Jonas McFeely
08-24-07, 01:39 AM
96-00 Sebrings were quite beautiful cars. I'm baffled by the current one, which looks like gimmicky trash.

You should put it in your wife's butt and call it even.

Retaliation anal solves everything.

Playdrv4me
08-24-07, 01:44 AM

+1+1+1

thebigjimsho
08-25-07, 11:14 PM
Retaliation anal....ahhhhh, too funny.

Florian
08-26-07, 01:16 AM

+1

F

Jonas McFeely
08-26-07, 04:52 AM
+1 all around, but i see no points. Im tryina cop.

:alchi::alchi::alchi::alchi::alchi::alchi::alchi:: alchi::alchi::alchi::alchi::alchi::alchi::alchi::a lchi::alchi::alchi:

**** Svedka

TomDeville
08-26-07, 10:18 PM
Inherently Effective Alternative
Dispute Resolution Mechanism.

:cool2:

HushH
08-27-07, 01:53 PM
She's just following the old "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" rule. I live by that one. Just ask my wife when the V showed up in our driveway.