: Is there a market for parts??

pimpin88
08-22-07, 06:34 PM
Alright, I don't want anyone responding saying they want this part or that part, and this is not an add because it wouldn't even be happening for another few months, but...

I want to know what you guys think. Is there a market for parts from a 1988 Brougham, because I keep getting offers for $500 from people who are just going to trash the car, and it is not solid enough to restore so I am considering parting it out.

Is it worth my time? (read, would I be able to get over $500 parting it out)

What do you guys think?

305Caddy
08-22-07, 11:21 PM
Definatly a market, part it out! and if I find out you sell the car to some crazy redkneck to do some crazy derby shit in it, I will hunt you down..................... and make you drive a miata for the rest of your life

96Fleetwood
08-23-07, 07:49 AM
I parted a car before and it wasn't easy.. but I actually made money on it.

It was my brother's 1991 Toyota Camry LE 2.5 V6. He only had liability insurance on it and totalled it. He had paid $2,500 for the car.

I sold every interior piece, headlights, tailllights, bumpers, doors, windows, and some electrical components. One guy even drove from Texas to pick up the motor/tranny.

Most of the items I sold on eBay. I got a total of ~$3K for all the parts!

Then the local scrap yard came and picked up the frame & what was left of the body for $100.

pimpin88
08-23-07, 08:01 AM
I parted a car before and it wasn't easy.. but I actually made money on it.

It was my brother's 1991 Toyota Camry LE 2.5 V6. He only had liability insurance on it and totalled it. He had paid $2,500 for the car.

I sold every interior piece, headlights, tailllights, bumpers, doors, windows, and some electrical components. One guy even drove from Texas to pick up the motor/tranny.

Most of the items I sold on eBay. I got a total of ~$3K for all the parts!

Then the local scrap yard came and picked up the frame & what was left of the body for $100.

Yea, definitely not easy. I found that out with my old Roadmaster.

I just wasn't sure if there were enough people looking for parts for a Brougham to make it worth my time.

Mud
08-23-07, 08:25 AM
As an owner of an 86, I'm always on the look-out for needed and spare parts. But I'm only one guy out here, I know you would of course need more folks interested. If it were me and I had the space and time available, I would do it, but I think it's a process so you would need to be patient.

BRICKS
08-23-07, 04:30 PM
ull easily make over 500 in parts. especially if they are solid and close to rust free.

ShadowLvr400
08-23-07, 06:58 PM
I have a friend with an 89, and up until his previous 89 got crushed, he'd have been happy for any available scavenge parts. Now he has a solid 89 drivetrain, but he'd still eyeball body panels and such.

Destroyer
08-24-07, 09:04 AM
I have to say its not worth the trouble. I frequent the local junkyard and more often than not a Brougham like your '88 gets crushed complete. Doesn't look like many people even take ANY parts off them. If you can get $500 as it sits its definately the better route IMO.

Gwokable
08-26-07, 11:37 AM
On this forum, yeah, you can make some cash. #1 thing with sales is finding the right market.

Hell, if it's in nearly spotless shape I'd take the entire interior.

If not I'd take the seat brackets(if the seat support isn't cracked), motors(if they work), switches, taillights, and if it's a vin 9 engine, the ECM and carb off of it although I'd need to inspect it (to check for a vacuum driven idle load compensator). I'd also be interested in the wheels and trunk lid (if it's rust-free).

Destroyer
08-26-07, 02:22 PM
On this forum, yeah, you can make some cash. #1 thing with sales is finding the right market.

Hell, if it's in nearly spotless shape I'd take the entire interior.

If not I'd take the seat brackets(if the seat support isn't cracked), motors(if they work), switches, taillights, and if it's a vin 9 engine, the ECM and carb off of it although I'd need to inspect it (to check for a vacuum driven idle load compensator). I'd also be interested in the wheels and trunk lid (if it's rust-free).
I can get you any of those parts if you need them but the shipping would be a killer.

lbiason
08-26-07, 02:49 PM
If you're in a metro area, I think there's definitely a market. Last summer I spent about $350 in Miami boneyards for an 87 rt front fender and an 89 front end and bumper to replace wrecked parts on my 88. good luck, luis biason

I'm still looking for a rear tail light assembly (the silly plastic ears that the chrome bezel screws into are broken and $200+ from online parts stores is too much)

Alright, I don't want anyone responding saying they want this part or that part, and this is not an add because it wouldn't even be happening for another few months, but...

I want to know what you guys think. Is there a market for parts from a 1988 Brougham, because I keep getting offers for $500 from people who are just going to trash the car, and it is not solid enough to restore so I am considering parting it out.

Is it worth my time? (read, would I be able to get over $500 parting it out)

What do you guys think?

Mud
08-28-07, 09:54 AM
Lbiason, you can repair the broken ones with some JB QuickWeld, I had one that was broken and the stuff worked great. For strength, I added an additional metal reinforcment tab behind the plastic tab, and everything was coated with JB Weld. Be sure that the side facing the bezel is smooth and flat so the bezel can attach to it properly. I drilled a hole through the reinforcment tab at the same location as the plastic tab and installed a new u-clip for the attachment screw. End result works great and probably stronger than the original.

If you don't have the broken plastic part anymore you can just use a metal piece as a replacment tab, attached with our friend JB Weld.

cadillacmike68
09-01-07, 11:33 PM
Definatly a market, part it out! and if I find out you sell the car to some crazy redkneck to do some crazy derby shit in it, I will hunt you down..................... and make you drive a miata for the rest of your life

Hey - my wife and I had a miata - and we liked it - but we still had the Fleetwood (and still have it).

I convinced her to trade the Miata in for a 2000 elDorado Convertible though...