Lord Cadillac
08-22-07, 10:36 AM
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Honda-Accord_EX-L_V6_Sedan_2008_photo_04.jpg
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Honda-Accord_EX-L_V6_Sedan_2008_photo_25.jpg
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Honda-Accord_EX-L_V6_Sedan_2008_photo_2f.jpg
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Honda-Accord_EX-L_V6_Sedan_2008_photo_30.jpg
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Honda-Accord_EX-L_V6_Sedan_2008_photo_32.jpg
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Honda-Accord_EX-L_V6_Sedan_2008_photo_37.jpg
The Accord has grown-up (now classified as a "large" car) and become very sexy...

gary88
08-22-07, 10:49 AM
The interior has an Audi/BMW kind of look to it, not bad at all for an everyday car.

Lord Cadillac
08-22-07, 10:56 AM
The interior has an Audi/BMW kind of look to it, not bad at all for an everyday car.
Yup, I was thinking BMW myself...

AMGoff
08-22-07, 11:16 AM
The seats are nice... that's are about it though. I hate that dash, for whatever reason the Japanese can never quite get the dash right. They almost got it with the 95-01 Mazda Millenia but it's been progressively downhill ever since. And I absolutely hate that type of window switches, they are very counter-intuitive. I think GM did a really nice job with the Seville's interior. My most favorite interior of all time was the 300M, I still love those seats and the dash layout. Funny thing is that the new Lucernes have those 300M seats, I guess someone else likes them! If they were to rename the Lucerne back to the Park Avenue that would definitely be my next car! Either way.. Honda has definitely made some strides... wayyy better than any Toyota, just not my cup of tea though.

Lord Cadillac
08-22-07, 11:23 AM
The seats are nice... that's are about it though. I hate that dash, for whatever reason the Japanese can never quite get the dash right. They almost got it with the 95-01 Mazda Millenia but it's been progressively downhill ever since. And I absolutely hate that type of window switches, they are very counter-intuitive. I think GM did a really nice job with the Seville's interior. My most favorite interior of all time was the 300M, I still love those seats and the dash layout. Funny thing is that the new Lucernes have those 300M seats, I guess someone else likes them! If they were to rename the Lucerne back to the Park Avenue that would definitely be my next car! Either way.. Honda has definitely made some strides... wayyy better than any Toyota, just not my cup of tea though.
I love the interior of your Seville.. That's comfort and luxury right there.. But I do like the interior of the Accord. I actually like these types of dashes...

http://photo.netcarshow.com/Honda-Accord_EX-L_V6_Sedan_2008_photo_40.jpg

thebigjimsho
08-22-07, 12:07 PM
And I absolutely hate that type of window switches, they are very counter-intuitive. Huh??? I don't think you can have a switch that is MORE intuitive than the Honda's...

As for general ergonomics, I still have not driven a car that was as easy to live with and get used to as my old '01 Accord coupe...

Playdrv4me
08-22-07, 12:08 PM

The reason for those switches isnt for aesthetic purposes (though I vastly prefer the toggles myself), they were phased in as a federal requirement because children can climb up on the armrest and with flat switches they can push the button and inadvertently get their heads stuck in the window and choke. Some manufacturers have implemented anti-pinch mechanisms, but sometimes they arent quick enough, or sensitive enough to prevent injury.

As for the Accord... It's a little too plasticky inside for my tastes, those hard metal-look plastics everyone is using these days. Im also not a huge fan of the way Honda's engines feel and sound. The outside is better for an Accord I suppose.

99esteees
08-22-07, 12:12 PM
The dash looks like the dash of an infiniti q45.

Lord Cadillac
08-22-07, 12:15 PM
The dash looks like the dash of an infiniti q45.
Hmmm... In a way... Yeah.. This car has definitely gone very upscale... If Honda's are looking like this, I wonder what the new Acuras are going to look like...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-22-07, 02:36 PM
I like it a lot...the interior looks like something out of a VW/Audi, and the exterior is gorgeous. The only complaint I have with the exterior is the grille, it kinda looks like a Ridgeline.

Playdrv4me
08-22-07, 03:19 PM
Yea, I think thats Honda's new corporate fascia treatment. Just like with Ford, that "truck face" thing seems to be in.

Lord Cadillac
08-22-07, 03:21 PM
Didn't Chrysler start the truck face?

Playdrv4me
08-22-07, 03:26 PM
Yea, thats true, the bulls-eye grill began on the Ram and trickled down to the rest of the Dodge line. Ford has taken it to a whole other level with this oversized 3 bar brute-face treatment though.

Night Wolf
08-22-07, 03:50 PM
Personally I am not fond of the new Ford grille... its just too much.

Also, it seems like Honda fnially dumped the 5-point grille they've had since the early 90's....

I like it alot.... the first picture, front/side is best... the back... a couple lines i don't like... one of them being that body line that ends from the top of the rear window and goes stright down to the bottom of the door at a curve (end of rear door) Not digging that at all....

But, yeah it is a step up... looks pretty good :)

But, keep in mind what its going to be up against too.... like the new for '08 Pontiac G8..... nice...

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/02/08/036618.1-lg.jpg

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2007/02/10-pontiac-g8/2008-Pontiac-G8-2-lg.jpg

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2007/02/10-pontiac-g8/2008-Pontiac-G8-3-lg.jpg

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2007/02/10-pontiac-g8/2008-Pontiac-G8-6-lg.jpg

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2007/02/10-pontiac-g8/2008-Pontiac-G8-5-lg.jpg

I think the door panels, in comparison to the new Accord are lacking... but dang its sexy.

The base G8 model is equipped with a 3.6L DOHC V-6 with variable valve timing, rated at 261 horsepower (194 kW). It is paired with a five-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode.

The G8 GT is powered by a 6.0L small-block V-8, rated at 362 horsepower (270 kW) and 391 lb.-ft. of torque (530 Nm). A six-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode is standard and features the fuel-saving Active Fuel Management system, which enhances fuel economy by alternating between eight- and four-cylinder power. An optional six-speed manual transmission will be available soon after launch.

A limited-slip rear differential is standard with GT models.

Playdrv4me
08-22-07, 04:22 PM
That Pontiac looks better in almost every conceivable way than the Accord. That is saying alot for Pontiac.

The problem is, the base model is not gonna be nearly as nice as that loaded to the gills GT.

Lord Cadillac
08-22-07, 04:55 PM
These cars will appeal to an entirely different audience.. The Honda is luxurious; the G8s is sporty. Neither is going to steal sales from the other...

TaVern
08-22-07, 05:39 PM
These cars will appeal to an entirely different audience.. The Honda is luxurious; the G8s is sporty. Neither is going to steal sales from the other...

You really see it with the wood trim in the Honda, and the G8 doesn't look as spacious.

That being said, gimme the 6.0 L :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
08-22-07, 06:24 PM
I think the steering wheel and gauges in the Accord are SOOO much better than in the G8 it's not even funny!

But the nose of the Accord looks a lot like a Sonata.

Lord Cadillac
08-22-07, 06:26 PM
While not fast, the Accord is getting quick as well.. So it's getting more luxurious, bigger and faster... Honda is really doing a great job with this once worthless piece of garbage...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-22-07, 07:02 PM
I'm gonna get so much flack for this, but I'm not a huge fan of the G8's styling. It's much better than any recent Pontiac, but I personally think it looks too much like the last GTO....GM Generic. But IIRC, they're both Holdens. Maybe I don't like the look of it because it's in that steel grey color...maybe I'd love it if it was bright red, but I don't care for that very much. I'm sure it's a brillant car though.

Red_October_7000
08-22-07, 07:44 PM
It's still a Fecking Honda and I wouldn't touch it with a ten-and-a-half foot pole. I don't like modern car interiors, point blank. The counter-intuitive window switches are awful, the displays ugly, and the I positively despise the biological curves they're giving to everything. Modern steering wheels are too thick. The Automatic gear selector doesn't belong on the floor. I'm not a big fan of modern radio designs either. And steam gauges suck. I want digital!!!

Playdrv4me
08-22-07, 08:01 PM
http://automobiles.your-honda.com/1990%20Honda%20Accord.jpg

^^ This was and still is my favorite Accord of all time. It was excellently proportioned (in the spirit of the Cadillac STS which came 2 years after it in-fact), had a useful and straightforward interior, oozed quality and lasted 300k miles without a hiccup. It also laid the foundation for the unpopular but also beautiful Acura Vigor, and the Legend sedan.

My other favorite Honda, the 1991 Honda Prelude Si. Another well proportioned car with styling inspired by the Europeans, very lotus-like design. It was alot better looking in red with aluminum wheels though...

http://www.solarapp.com/91_Prelude/91%20Prelude%20Side%20View.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-22-07, 08:17 PM
http://automobiles.your-honda.com/1990%20Honda%20Accord.jpg

^^ This was and still is my favorite Accord of all time. It was excellently proportioned (in the spirit of the Cadillac STS which came 2 years after it in-fact), had a useful and straightforward interior, oozed quality and lasted 300k miles without a hiccup. It also laid the foundation for the unpopular but also beautiful Acura Vigor, and the Legend sedan.

Ah yes, one of my favorite Honda designs also..very, very good proportions, very logical and easy to use interior, etc etc. I was looking for one of these in the fall of '05 as a economy car, but I could never find one in decent shape, and the prices were sky high.

Playdrv4me
08-22-07, 08:42 PM
I *finally* saw one today as a matter of fact in the AutoExtra magazine here in town. It was a 1991 Special Edition with 83k miles, factory paint and one owner I believe for 3995. Expensive, but as I always say, you pay for condition.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-22-07, 08:51 PM
That's actually a pretty good deal. I remember looking at a 91 LX Sedan at a stealer with 220k on it, and it wasn't in very good condition, and they wanted $2500 for it.

thebigjimsho
08-23-07, 08:37 AM
It's still a Fecking Honda and I wouldn't touch it with a ten-and-a-half foot pole. I don't like modern car interiors, point blank. The counter-intuitive window switches are awful, the displays ugly, and the I positively despise the biological curves they're giving to everything. Modern steering wheels are too thick. The Automatic gear selector doesn't belong on the floor. I'm not a big fan of modern radio designs either. And steam gauges suck. I want digital!!!How 'bout I walk down the street and smack you?

Playdrv4me
08-23-07, 09:38 AM
How 'bout I walk down the street and smack you?

Yea, another comment about the window switches... I just dont get it. :hmm:

thebigjimsho
08-23-07, 09:44 AM
Yeah, thin steering wheels are fine if you're a gimp. But thick wheels are to drive aggressively. And I'd rather have a shift lever in between the seats. It usually means I'm driving bucket seats.

Lord Cadillac
08-23-07, 09:57 AM
It's still a Fecking Honda

I'm not sure why anyone says things like this anymore.. Honda has been building cars at a higher class than Cadillac for years. RL, NSX.....

Lord Cadillac
08-23-07, 09:59 AM
I'm gonna get so much flack for this, but I'm not a huge fan of the G8's styling. It's much better than any recent Pontiac, but I personally think it looks too much like the last GTO....GM Generic. But IIRC, they're both Holdens. Maybe I don't like the look of it because it's in that steel grey color...maybe I'd love it if it was bright red, but I don't care for that very much. I'm sure it's a brillant car though.
I really don't think it's all that "exciting" either...

AMGoff
08-23-07, 11:40 AM
Yea, another comment about the window switches... I just dont get it. :hmm:

It's not that hard to understand, especially for those who have only ever owned American cars.

If you want to open the window you push down on the switch (toward you) if you want the window up you push up on the switch (away from you).

It goes back to when old cars had the power window switches on the door panels themselves... you push the switch down towards the floor the window goes down, up toward the roof, the window goes up. When the made their way to the armrest the same directional concept came with it.

My mother had a Sebring coupe for a while which basically had an Eclipse interior and in had those stupid switches where you had to pull back to close and push forward to open.

It's all what you're used to... and if you're only used to American cars those type of switches are nothing less than annoying.

Personally I wouldn't mind more cars having roll up windows.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-23-07, 01:17 PM
The Honda/Toyota window switches make perfect sense to me...push down on the switch and it goes down, pull up and it goes up. Couldn't ask for a better setup IMO.

Playdrv4me
08-23-07, 02:10 PM
The Honda/Toyota window switches make perfect sense to me...push down on the switch and it goes down, pull up and it goes up. Couldn't ask for a better setup IMO.

Also, in Toyota/Lexus and BMW at least, *ALL* the window switches are auto AND they are auto down *AND* up. For the logest time my jeeps irritated the crap out of me with the fact that they would not auto UP the windows.

Jonas McFeely
08-23-07, 11:03 PM
Can anyone say Sonata?

And i HATE will an all consuming fiery passion the "auto" up or down on car windows. It boils my blood. If i want the effing window down, my fat lazy ass will take 5 more damn seconds to hold the damn switch.

Epitome of laziness, and i am the laziest person i know.

I ate Snack Pack pudding with a TV remote control because i didnt want to get up and get a spoon.

Yep.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-23-07, 11:10 PM
Epitome of laziness, and i am the laziest person i know.

I ate Snack Pack pudding with a TV remote control because i didnt want to get up and get a spoon.

Yep.

Post of the month!

Also, in Toyota/Lexus and BMW at least, *ALL* the window switches are auto AND they are auto down *AND* up. For the logest time my jeeps irritated the crap out of me with the fact that they would not auto UP the windows.

I think meinen neuen auto has that also.

Red_October_7000
08-24-07, 12:59 AM
How 'bout I walk down the street and smack you?

Why, 'cause I have an oppinion?
The automatic gear selector doesn't belong on the floor because that's where the manual gear shift goes. If it's on the floor it damn well better have a clutch and an H-pattern, otherwise it's the gearbox equivilent of a poser. I think we are of like minds actually, we just haven't realized it. I like my sports cars to be real sports cars -bucket seats, manual gearbox, all the "sport" stuff. If it's got an automatic slushbox then give me the 3rd seat beause it's a daily driver. All these "big sedan or truck or wagon or whatever with bucket seats and gear selector wasting space on the floor" are just aping a real performance car. I don't want that crap any more than I want to stick a giant fibreglass Murray's spoiler on my Buick.

As to Honda as a company I recognize that they build very durable cars*, and in the case of such things as the NSX and the Legend, I'll admit, even, very, very nice cars. I just don't want anything to do with Honda because of their association with the "green" fruitcakes and the culture that surrounds their vehicles (either environmental whack-jobs or posers putting fart cannons on their Civics). If someone gave me an NSX or a Legend I wouldn't turn it down. I actually like those cars in a vacuum -I love super-stupid high-tech sportscars and I'll admit a somewhat unnatural love for "Executive" cars like the Legend, Merkur Scorpio, Toyota Cressida, etc.

*A buddy of mine had a Civic. It had been his mother's, and he inherited it. She hadn't taken care of it at all, never change the oil, etc., in 80,000 miles or so. He got it fixed up a bit and drove it around until it took a big hit from a Ford F-350 with plow brackets that cut a big gash down the side. Even with a cracked axle the little bastard still ran (he drove it for like 2 weeks that way). I actually felt sorry for it when it got totaled. Anyway, its interior DEFINED austere, it was loud and uncomfortable and ugly, but its capacity to absorb abuse and just say "Thank you sir, may I have another" impressed me.

gdwriter
08-24-07, 02:07 AM
But, keep in mind what its going to be up against too.... like the new for '08 Pontiac G8..... nice...Sharp car, and I hope it's more successful than the GTO. I test drove one when they first came out, and it was a blast to drive, nice build quality, too. But it didn't look the part.

I like the G8, but that's a dumb-ass name. The thing should be a Bonneville. Why on earth does GM dump well-established model names with stupid ones (LeSabre for Lucerne and Century/Regal for LaCrosse come to mind) or alpha-numeric gibberish? Haven't they ever heard of brand equity?

Honda's been selling Civics since 1973 and Accords since 1976. Hell, Toyota's had the Corolla around since 1966 or 68.

At least Chevrolet brought back the Impala. Now it just needs RWD and triple taillights.

Jesda
08-24-07, 02:20 AM
I liked Mazda's old window switches, which in the late 80s through the 90s would go down if you pushed down and go up if you pulled up. Simple as can be.

thebigjimsho
08-25-07, 10:19 PM
Why, 'cause I have an oppinion?
The automatic gear selector doesn't belong on the floor because that's where the manual gear shift goes. If it's on the floor it damn well better have a clutch and an H-pattern, otherwise it's the gearbox equivilent of a poser. I think we are of like minds actually, we just haven't realized it. I like my sports cars to be real sports cars -bucket seats, manual gearbox, all the "sport" stuff. If it's got an automatic slushbox then give me the 3rd seat beause it's a daily driver. All these "big sedan or truck or wagon or whatever with bucket seats and gear selector wasting space on the floor" are just aping a real performance car. I don't want that crap any more than I want to stick a giant fibreglass Murray's spoiler on my Buick.

As to Honda as a company I recognize that they build very durable cars*, and in the case of such things as the NSX and the Legend, I'll admit, even, very, very nice cars. I just don't want anything to do with Honda because of their association with the "green" fruitcakes and the culture that surrounds their vehicles (either environmental whack-jobs or posers putting fart cannons on their Civics). If someone gave me an NSX or a Legend I wouldn't turn it down. I actually like those cars in a vacuum -I love super-stupid high-tech sportscars and I'll admit a somewhat unnatural love for "Executive" cars like the Legend, Merkur Scorpio, Toyota Cressida, etc.

*A buddy of mine had a Civic. It had been his mother's, and he inherited it. She hadn't taken care of it at all, never change the oil, etc., in 80,000 miles or so. He got it fixed up a bit and drove it around until it took a big hit from a Ford F-350 with plow brackets that cut a big gash down the side. Even with a cracked axle the little bastard still ran (he drove it for like 2 weeks that way). I actually felt sorry for it when it got totaled. Anyway, its interior DEFINED austere, it was loud and uncomfortable and ugly, but its capacity to absorb abuse and just say "Thank you sir, may I have another" impressed me.I'm walking my dog over now so she can bite yo azz...

JimmyH
08-28-07, 08:36 PM
Every generation of Accord gets worse looking it seems. Can't beat the Honda slushbox though, smooth, fast shifts, and it seems to know before you that you want to downshift.

Red_October_7000
08-29-07, 12:04 AM
Every generation of Accord gets worse looking it seems. Can't beat the Honda slushbox though, smooth, fast shifts, and it seems to know before you that you want to downshift.

That's because Honda autos are actually fully automated manuals. Weird, eh? It's a kludge, but it works well.

Caddy Man
08-29-07, 03:29 AM
Sharp car, and I hope it's more successful than the GTO. I test drove one when they first came out, and it was a blast to drive, nice build quality, too. But it didn't look the part.

I like the G8, but that's a dumb-ass name. The thing should be a Bonneville. Why on earth does GM dump well-established model names with stupid ones (LeSabre for Lucerne and Century/Regal for LaCrosse come to mind) or alpha-numeric gibberish? Haven't they ever heard of brand equity?

Honda's been selling Civics since 1973 and Accords since 1976. Hell, Toyota's had the Corolla around since 1966 or 68.

At least Chevrolet brought back the Impala. Now it just needs RWD and triple taillights.

Its because Corolla, Accord, Civic have all made a name for themselves over time. Those names are associated with good quality and reliability, each generation is better than the previous one. Names like Bonneville are not. I hear the name Bonneville and I think of a piece of crap from the early 90s, or some plasticky mess with a ton of body cladding. GM has to start fresh if they are to reinvent themselves and become successful as a company. Look at Cadillac, no matter how many people are ''stuck in the past'' and want Cadillac to keep traditional names and big boat design, the alphanumeric names and new designs are working great. Who thought 10 years ago Cadillac would be were it is today, the company has definitly turned itself around. GM has had to start with a ''clean canvas'' for many of its cars. At least that's the way I feel. G8 sounds fine to me and I think the car looks great. Truly classic names like Corvette, GTO, Camaro, Mustang, Impala, etc...are legendary and will never go away. Bonneville and Century, etc, have nowhere near the brand equity that those names do.

Playdrv4me
08-29-07, 10:19 AM
Its because Corolla, Accord, Civic have all made a name for themselves over time. Those names are associated with good quality and reliability, each generation is better than the previous one. Names like Bonneville are not. I hear the name Bonneville and I think of a piece of crap from the early 90s, or some plasticky mess with a ton of body cladding. GM has to start fresh if they are to reinvent themselves and become successful as a company. Look at Cadillac, no matter how many people are ''stuck in the past'' and want Cadillac to keep traditional names and big boat design, the alphanumeric names and new designs are working great. Who thought 10 years ago Cadillac would be were it is today, the company has definitly turned itself around. GM has had to start with a ''clean canvas'' for many of its cars. At least that's the way I feel. G8 sounds fine to me and I think the car looks great. Truly classic names like Corvette, GTO, Camaro, Mustang, Impala, etc...are legendary and will never go away. Bonneville and Century, etc, have nowhere near the brand equity that those names do.

Yup. It only takes one screw-up to trash the reputation of a good name. Classic Bonnevilles were actually nice cars, but then came the abonimation of the 80s and 90s and it was all over.

JimmyH
08-29-07, 12:04 PM
That's because Honda autos are actually fully automated manuals. Weird, eh? It's a kludge, but it works well.

as far as I know, they have a torque converter and planetary gear sets just like all other automatics.

Playdrv4me
08-29-07, 01:19 PM

Wait, what?

honda also makes just about the least reliable automatic transmission this side of a Dodge Ram, especially the post-'99 V6 cars.

Red_October_7000
08-29-07, 02:35 PM
as far as I know, they have a torque converter and planetary gear sets just like all other automatics.

Maybe only some of them are that way. I'd be willing to bet not ALL of them are -especially the newer ones with lots of gears.

And yes, the ones on the V6 cars tend to have godawful reliability. No clue why anyone would ever own an auto Honda anyway...

JimmyH
08-29-07, 02:55 PM
I am basing my statements off of a 2003 Accord 5-speed auto, and a 2004 Honda Pilot 5-speed auto. The Pilot shifts smoothly, and downshifts are crisp. The Accord shifts MEGA-smoothly and ULTRA quick, and downshifts are near instantaneous. The gear ratios could not be any better optimized.

The traditional automatic has a torque converter, clutchpacks on each gear, and the gearsets are planetary, with central sun gear, outer planet gears, and outer ring gear. This is how ALL of Honda's autos are (to my knowledge) The only other modern automatics are the dual-clutch sequential gearboxes. If Honda or Acura are using them in any of their production cars, it is news to me.

Red_October_7000
08-29-07, 10:38 PM
I can't remember where I read the Honda uses an automated manual but it might not any more. Ho Hum.