: 04 srx onstar antenna

mikewired
08-21-07, 10:55 PM
I have been shopping for an 04 srx and have noticed that most have a window mounted antenna and a few have the roof antenna? Anyone know what the difference is?

XTSman
08-21-07, 11:02 PM
window mount is analog cell phone antenna. If you ever change to digital cell phone service you will have to change this out. On early 2004 with xm that antenna was on the roof. So you will see window mount antenna and roof mount on those early 2004 equipped with onstar and xm radio. In late 2004, they combined xm/cell phone/and GPS (for onstar) antenna into all in one on the roof.

robhersch
08-22-07, 04:06 AM
Suggest that you get the VIN of your candidate SRX and check with OnStar before purchasing to ensure that the respective OnStar/ cell phone system has been upgraded; if not check with GM to ensure getting their special low (~$15 upgrade price with some required time agreement (~ 1 year??)) May save you some pain to get the heads-up before buying if you wish to use the OnStar & cell phone features.
The analog system is scheduled to be phased out and older analog units may not work beyond the end of 2007 unless upgraded to receive digital.

ewill3rd
08-22-07, 09:03 AM
The difference between the glass mount antenna and the OnStar antenna integrated into the roof antenna is a matter of production dates.
It just depends on whether it was built before or after a mid-year change.

If you want OnStar you'll have to get a digital upgrade if the car hasn't already had one. I seriously doubt someone paid for a year of OnStar and then traded their car in, so it is unlikely that it has been done.
Since you will be activating a new subscription it will cost you $314 for a Safe and sound package.
They now charge an additional $100 on top of the $199 subscription and the $15 fee you would pay if you were upgrading a vehicle with an active acount.
The last 6 digits of the VIN will have to be higher than 171353 to have the new style antenna in the roof mounted one.

Smokin' SRX
08-22-07, 01:10 PM
I have been shopping for an 04 srx and have noticed that most have a window mounted antenna and a few have the roof antenna? Anyone know what the difference is?

Hi. we surrended in our SRX recently largely due to being told we COULD NOT upgrade our early '04 SRX to digital! (antenna on side window) This was a bummer as we use On-star alot. Check w/ OnStar directly before buying!!
Our '03 Yukon has roof mini-antenna and we just did upgrade for $15 dollars plus 1 year paid advance to On Star! Total $314 roughly. Works great!!!!
PS.........bought the new Buick Enclave!! Love it, but just fits garage! 5 inches wider, 5 inches higher, 6 inches longer than SRX!

But sweet ride w/ folding mirrors!!!
Good luck!

ewill3rd
08-22-07, 01:22 PM
Do you have anything that has the VIN for that car on it?
I'd like to run that and see why they said it can't get one.
I haven't heard of that and I cannot see a reason why it couldn't get an upgrade.
I just need the last 8 digits.

Thanks.

Smokin' SRX
08-22-07, 01:41 PM
Do you have anything that has the VIN for that car on it?
I'd like to run that and see why they said it can't get one.
I haven't heard of that and I cannot see a reason why it couldn't get an upgrade.
I just need the last 8 digits.

Thanks.

THX but we surrendered it already w/ the early pull ahead deal! I both called On star on a land line phone and called On Star from the vehicle! They did a "diagnostic" from the car, through their tech dept while I held on. I recall the build date was around March '03 !! Very early (first year) '04 model I guess. Anyway, we still would've done the trade-in , but this was just Icing on the cake!

ThX for all your past help on this forum! You'll always be remembered!

ewill3rd
08-22-07, 01:56 PM
If you can find the numbers I'd still like to look at it to see what the deal was.
No biggie... but if you get the chance.

Smokin' SRX
08-23-07, 12:48 AM
If you can find the numbers I'd still like to look at it to see what the deal was.
No biggie... but if you get the chance.
For you? :worship: No problemo!! I dug up an old ins card! Here are all digits: 1GYDE63A340109627

Have at it! Maybe post results for others if you find something out?

ewill3rd
08-23-07, 07:14 AM
I am wondering why they told you that.
I don't see any problems with ordering an upgrade kit for that vehicle.
Here are the results from the OnStar website we use to check compatibility.

This vehicle is equipped with
Analog/Digital-Ready Equipment

VIN: 1GYDE63A340109627
Description: 2004 Cadillac SRX

Vehicle Information:
This vehicle is equipped with Analog/Digital-Ready equipment and is eligible for a digital equipment upgrade.
This vehicle requires a digital equipment upgrade in order to be eligible for OnStar service beyond 1/1/08.
Refer to Analog to Digital Program Service Bulletin
Once digital equipment upgrade is completed, vehicle will be eligible for multi-year service beyond OnStar's digital transition date (1/1/08)

Unless digital equipment upgrade is installed:
Vehicle is NOT eligible for a multiyear service contract past 12/31/2007
Vehicle is NOT eligible for Verizon's America's Choice with OnStar plan.
Vehicle does NOT have Continuous Voice Dialing capability

Also here is a GMVIS inquiry, there is an open recall on that vehicle and it shows compatibility for a digital upgrade.
I know it doesn't matter because you traded it off, but I am always curious when I hear dealers telling people strange things like yours told you.

Type Number Description Posted Date Status
RC 04018 ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM UNWANTED ACTIVATION N/A Closed
RC 05004 INADVERTENT DRIVER AIRBAG DEPLOY WHEN IGNITION KEY TURNED TO ON POSITION N/A Closed
RC 06503 OBD DIAG DISABLED BY CANISTER PURGE SOLENOID CIRCUIT MALFUNCT - REPGRM ECM 03/21/2006 Open
SERVICE INFORMATIONAL ITEMS
Type Number Description Posted Date Status
SB 06047 ONSTAR HARDWARE CAN BE UPGRADED TO DIGITAL. SEE TSB 05-08-46-006. 02/21/2007 See Bulletin

wifescaddy
08-24-07, 08:37 AM
ewill3rd could you check mine also and see if it has xm,dealer told me no i have antenna on roof too.

last 8 172963

ewill3rd
08-24-07, 10:01 AM
Well you gave me the last 6, but since your profile says '04 I can fill in the rest.
(since I know what year and where it was built)
The last 8 should be 40172963.
If so, you'll be happy to know you have no open recalls, your OnStar is good to go, and I do show a U2K option for your vehicle.
You should have XM as an option on the radio.
It looks like you have a base radio with a 6 disc changer. You should see XM when you push the band button several times.
If you don't, there is something wrong, possibly a bad receiver or a poor wiring connection somewhere.
If they won't take care of you up in Jersey, come see us ;)

wifescaddy
08-24-07, 10:14 AM
yeah 8 numbers wouldve helped ,lol sorry,i thought i had xm,its not showing up on radio ,il have to go back again and have them check.Thanks for the help.I will be in alexandria ,virginia next month and baltimore today.

Smokin' SRX
08-29-07, 11:33 AM
:crying2:
I am wondering why they told you that.
I don't see any problems with ordering an upgrade kit for that vehicle.
Here are the results from the OnStar website we use to check compatibility.

Also here is a GMVIS inquiry, there is an open recall on that vehicle and it shows compatibility for a digital upgrade.
I know it doesn't matter because you traded it off, but I am always curious when I hear dealers telling people strange things like yours told you.

Thx as usual for the concern for us SRX'ers. (former in my case!) I recall I
checked about 6-9 months ago. Both w/Onstar (by pressing the button) and calling the 1-888- number on car. While it wasn't the main reason we traded, I would've went '08 SRX for sure, to maintain On Star/upgraded calling chip, after '08 sunset date! HHMMM.................
good talking ! stay well!

PS...I sure miss that N* V-8 !! :crybaby:

ewill3rd
08-29-07, 11:45 AM
Anytime you guys are around feel free to stop and say hi!