: Engine just dies

2KDHS
08-21-07, 09:41 PM
Hello to all, This is one GREAT site....And yes this is my first post.
I have a 2000 DHS with 117K miles. The car is wonderful but have just
started to have a problem...A couple of months ago the car would
just die at a light not all the time just once in a while but will start
right back up. Now it has died a couple of times as I would slow
down to turn a corner...AND yes it would start right back up.
Dealer not to sure of the problem so any help would sure be helpful.
Thanks.

Ranger
08-21-07, 09:49 PM
:welcome:
Start by pulling your DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). There is a "How To" in the Tech Tips section if you are unfamiliar. 2000 - early '03's were plagued with bad CKP's (Crankshaft Position) sensors and will cause the exact symptoms you describe. I am surprised that yours lasted this long (if they have).

2KDHS
08-21-07, 09:58 PM
Thank you Ranger. I will check the codes. Is this a simple fit or will the dealer get deep into the check book.

Ranger
08-21-07, 10:06 PM
Sensors are about $50 ea. (2 of them) I believe and probably about an hr. or so to change them. Co-worker just had them done and I seem to recall he said $200 & change.

2KDHS
08-21-07, 10:18 PM
Ranger, I have never pulled codes before but sure will give it a try tonight.
Thanks Again

AJxtcman
08-21-07, 10:29 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/110149-crank-sensor-pcm-history.html

codewize
08-21-07, 10:52 PM
I believe that after changing the sensors you should visit the dealer and have the Crank Variance relearned.

AJxtcman
08-21-07, 11:05 PM
I believe that after changing the sensors you should visit the dealer and have the Crank Variance relearned.

good point

codewize
08-22-07, 08:10 AM
You have taught me well oh techie N* mentor

good point

sjpi1954
08-26-07, 06:35 PM
Gentlemen,

I have the exact same problem now as KDHS so...I'm not throwing any current codes after several diagnostics. Same symptoms. I only drive the '02 SLS once every 7 days for 255 miles to the air base in Houma, LA, and then, 7 days later back to P'Cola. When I get to my first light the engine dies. Go to N. Fire it right back up. Mostly. Last week coming home it was reluctant to turn over, but finally did. The trend is deteriorating and becoming more frequent.

123K on the engine and the CKPs have not been replaced. Ranger, between you and the rest of the staff I have 'reasonably' narrowed it down to the CKPs. I am unable to download the manual from the MyGM homepage so please answer me this.

1. I know the sensors are located above the oil filter adapter plate. Has anyone posted the exact procedure with photos for this on the site? If so I haven't found it yet.

2. I have Neanderthal hands. Am I better off going to Cadillac to have the work done (I'd rather get my gums scraped without novacaine). I copy the above price ballpark of $200, plus or minus the moon.

3. If this is a doable task at the hootch garage do I need any special tools to replace both sensors? IF I need a pair of skilled small hands my daughter is talking about becoming a surgeon. This would be excellent training.

Thanks in advance and for the past advice. Even though I still get the 'Service Stability System' message everytime I crank the ole boy the ride and experience is Just Perfect. Also, once I am on the concrete slab I never miss a beat. Set the cruise, crank up the Bose, enjoy the ride....

No Guts, No Glory

JP

Ranger
08-26-07, 08:57 PM
1. I am not sure if there was ever a write up on it because it is pretty straight forward. Remove the splash panel, remove the oil filter adapter and then the CKP sensors. No special tools. I think someone once said it was easier with a 1/4" drive ratchet due to the confined space.

2. Neanderthal hands will make it a bit harder, but certainly doable yourself.

3. Each sensor is held in place by one bolt I believe. No special tool required.

Ebay is your friend. I found an '02 FSM for my daughters SLS for $45.

sjpi1954
08-28-07, 04:16 PM
Thanks Ranger,

Got a quote from Pensacola Cadillac for $340 and 3 hours time. The local wrench with a good rep is $325 and 3 hours time. Autozone has the sensors in stock for $40 each. The Manufacturer is Wells. Cadillac has the sensors in stock, AC Delco, at different prices for the upper and lower but it comes to $145 total.

No guts, No glory, I'll tackle it when I get back from offshore next week.

JP

Ranger
08-28-07, 08:07 PM
I'd stick with A/C Delco. Have you checked http://www.rockauto.com?

AJxtcman
08-28-07, 09:03 PM
I was taught a lesson about 15 years ago.
Ford had some bad MAP sensors. They updated them and pulled all the bad ones from the part depots. Then they sold them to an aftermarket supplier. The sensors had date codes just like the Northstar crank sensors. The bad Ford sensors could be found at Napa back in the day. I think Car quest sold them also.
If I had 1 million dollar worth of bad inventory I would sell them at .50 cents on the dollar. Guess who gets them. The consumer.
I will post the procedure in the morning

AJxtcman
08-28-07, 09:12 PM
It is 1.1 hours X 1.5 = 1.65 hour + 1.0 Diag charge = 2.65 I think the GM sensors are about $80 each.

AJxtcman
08-29-07, 07:02 AM
Gentlemen,

123K on the engine and the CKPs have not been replaced. Ranger, between you and the rest of the staff I have 'reasonably' narrowed it down to the CKPs. I am unable to download the manual from the MyGM homepage so please answer me this.

No Guts, No Glory

JP

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/116089-northstar-crank-sensor-replacement.html#post1195754

Ranger
08-29-07, 10:32 AM
Copied that link to the Tech Tips section. Thanks AJ.

AJxtcman
08-29-07, 01:15 PM
Yeah wrong thread

AJxtcman
08-31-07, 02:02 PM
New pictures
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/116089-northstar-crank-sensor-replacement.html#post1197952