: Some Qs re. options - Nav, Bluetooth, ipod

ajmasala
08-21-07, 06:12 PM
I am looking to purchase an STS (either 2006 or 2005).

I have come across a couple of dealer listings for MY05 and MY06 cars. The pictures seem to show an LCD screen but the option description does not include Navigation - Is that possible ? In other words, can the STS be optioned with an LCD screen but not have nav installed.

If an MY05 or MY06 car has a Nav option then will it always include Bluetooth. If Bluetooth is not automatically included with Nav is that an option that a dealer can install afterwards. I am looking for integrated bluetooth solution.

Finally, do all STS's have Aux inputs (for hooking up an ipod). From reading some of the other posts it does not seem like an ipod integration into the audio systems exists, other than via the aux inputs.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Cajonkev
08-21-07, 07:52 PM
If it has a screen it's NAV

If it's NAV then it's also BT

All NAV STS's have the AUX inputs.

NAV/BT/AUX are not dealer options and a compete head unit replace/install is the only option if the vehicle is without...

Buzz48317
08-21-07, 09:53 PM
If it has a screen it's NAV

If it's NAV then it's also BT

All NAV STS's have the AUX inputs.

NAV/BT/AUX are not dealer options and a compete head unit replace/install is the only option if the vehicle is without...

I agree with everything except for the part about the whole head unit thing. If you do replace the headunit I don't believe that you would get the jacks for the I-pod connection as those are in the center counsel. I could be wrong on this as maybe they can pop those in too.

Most dealers don't list the BT and the AUX imputs because they don't know their product line as much as we do. There are some salespeople who actually give a crap about the product line, but there are more than few who can't be bothered to learn about the 6 vehicles that they sell.

Cajonkev
08-21-07, 11:53 PM
Yes the RCA jacks are within the center console.

Although I wasn't being specific to the jacks the major point was having to replace the whole headunit for Nav/BT which in the case of the OP seemed moot as they mentioned the vehicles they were looking at already had screens...

Buzz48317
08-22-07, 08:59 AM
Yes the RCA jacks are within the center console.

Although I wasn't being specific to the jacks the major point was having to replace the whole headunit for Nav/BT which in the case of the OP seemed moot as they mentioned the vehicles they were looking at already had screens...

Gotcha, Gotcha. Not to thread hijack but Kev, who did your clear bra? Are you happy with it? PM me so that this dosen't get outa hand on this thread.

jvizzy22
08-22-07, 10:45 AM
FYI the sound quality for the center console AV jacks aren't that great. Crutchfield does sell an adapter that lets you use your TV screen to control the Ipod with improved quality.

ajmasala
08-22-07, 12:33 PM
Thanks for your comments. This is very useful information.

I am surprised as well that the dealers don't do a better job of highlighting the features of the product that they are selling - esp. the desirable add-ons such as Nav.

JVIZZY22 - could you please provide more information on the crutchfield adapter for the ipod. All the research I have done seems to indicate that the AUX In is the only solution. It would be great if there is better integration available.

I did have another related question - Is there a way I can find out what the option groupings were for the 05 and 06 MYs. The "Window Sticker" feature on the dealer's website does not seem to work for older model years.

I can see the 2007 options using "Build your Car" on the manufacturer's website. I am guessing the option groupings have changed over the last couple of years.

Thanks.

MARKVIII
08-22-07, 01:04 PM
the aux input does really suck. it amazed me how a car at this price has so many glitches and faults. i mean an rca aux input has been around since the beginning of time, yet GM found a way to screw it up. i find the technology on this car 2-4 years behind the imports. bluetooth and voice command are a joke.
also the salesman no nothing about the products they sell. they are a waste of human flesh. if u need help with your car make friends with a service advisor (tip them $$) it will pay off in the long run.

jvizzy22
08-22-07, 03:19 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-b0IkU35ETKG/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=305250&I=108DP2US

thats the link straight to the adapter, however it was not the one i had in mind. there was somebody selling one on this site a couple weeks ago thats was different and they claimed to have got it from crutchfield, however the link i found is the only one crutchfield provided, a little pricey too, but if you care about your sound it might be worth it

jvizzy22
08-22-07, 03:27 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-b0IkU35ETKG/cgi-bin/tools/digitaldrivethru/solution.asp

here is a modulator, more of what i was thinking of but still not the exact one the guy was selling, this is good whether or not you have navigation

dhemrick
08-22-07, 03:49 PM
I have an iPhone which has an integrated iPod function in it. I bought a $3 cable from Radio Shack that has a stereo headphone jack on one end and two RCA (left and right) jacks on the other end. Using that, I connected my phone to the auxiliary inputs in my console and it works just fine.

Granted, I wish that there were full integration with the car's built in controls so it could control the iPod, but I usually just let the thing play on shuffle so it is not that big of a deal.

If you don't have the nav system and hence the auxiliary inputs, the FM modulator would probably be the easiest and most cost effective way to go. Still no integrated controls of course, but if you have your playlist pared down well, then there is no need to contstantly fiddle with the iPod.

Buzz48317
08-22-07, 05:07 PM
FYI the sound quality for the center console AV jacks aren't that great. Crutchfield does sell an adapter that lets you use your TV screen to control the Ipod with improved quality.

I HAVE GOT TO GET ONE OF THOSE. Happen to have a part number. The whole plug in the ipod to the center aux jacks I ALWAYS leave the thing on then when I get back the Ipod battery is dead or almost dead....not only that it would be nice to be able to switch songs without having to open the damn center counsel

Benjamin Simon
08-22-07, 11:48 PM
also the salesman no nothing about the products they sell. they are a waste of human flesh.

The reason why most salesmen know nothing about product is they do not make any money on new cars, at least the salesmen do not! No one wants to pay anything over invoice. Would you go to the trouble to learn everything about a $60K car if every time you sold one you made a $100 "mini". Car salesmen I know would prefer to sell 1 used car to 5 new.

The bottom line is people want cheap, not service. Get on the forum if you want to learn about the toys.

MARKVIII
08-23-07, 08:22 AM
no one is putting a gun to anyones head to take a job. car salesmen are lazy slobs who's function in life has past. if a person takes a job selling cars they should learn all there is about the product they are selling. if they feel the job does not pay enough money then quit and find something else. everytime i pull up to a new car showroom all you see are a bunch of fat lazy cigerette smoking coffee drinking pukes sitting around. if i owned GM i would make sure that anyone who represents the product i manufacture understands everything about that product. otherwise there is no need for a salesmen. people could just go online and do all the research they need to make a decision. then go to the dealer pick out a car and drive away. cut out the fat lazy pukes.

jvizzy22
08-23-07, 10:34 AM
Buzz, I left two links to the products in several other posts i made on page 1, take a look at those, there is 3rd one out there i believe somewhere, and one of them (if not more) work with ou steering wheel controls which is pretty cool.

Buzz48317
08-23-07, 11:57 AM
Buzz, I left two links to the products in several other posts i made on page 1, take a look at those, there is 3rd one out there i believe somewhere, and one of them (if not more) work with ou steering wheel controls which is pretty cool.

I think that the third version is what I am looking for. I don't want to crap up the interior with ANOTHER display screen, not to mention that I drive into and park my car in Detroit on a fairly regular basis. I'd rather have a cord to plug the Ipod into stashed in the glove box or in the center counsel. I really don't want an FM modulator as I don't think that there is much difference than using the RCA jacks in the center counsel...which to be perfectly honest are adequate as far as the sound goes, I just want to have the ability to control the darnd thing without having to flip open the center counsel to access it. In the Mercedes Benz products you can plug in and leave the Ipod in the glove box and not only control it with the head unit and steering wheel controls but the battery recharges too.

jvizzy22
08-23-07, 03:35 PM
yea that is why you pay $30,000 more for a mercedes haha, unfortunately none of those products are the one i saw someone selling on this site a week or so back, im wishing now that i bought it, he was selling it for $80 i think. But i dont think i have seen any of the adapters that let you control through the TV, Wheel, and charge it, oh well im sure they're out there

Buzz48317
08-24-07, 09:59 AM
yea that is why you pay $30,000 more for a mercedes haha, unfortunately none of those products are the one i saw someone selling on this site a week or so back, im wishing now that i bought it, he was selling it for $80 i think. But i dont think i have seen any of the adapters that let you control through the TV, Wheel, and charge it, oh well im sure they're out there

I have a good friend who just picked up an E350 with the premium 2 package, sport package, ipod intigration, real leather (I can't believe that they charge more for real leather on a base MSRP of $51,000), park sensors etc and it is only about $10,000 more than the MSRP of my 07 1SB with nav, roof and chrome wheels STS. Only difference in options is the the STS has vented seats and AWD, but his e class does have the Ipod intigration...It'd be nice to have but its not worth the extra 10 large for me.

jvizzy22
08-24-07, 10:17 AM
Exactly, the STS is a much better deal, ill take the AWD for 10,000 less then having the ipod for 10,000 more haha, i dont think you meant to make it sound like that though. I dont even like E-Class Benzs anyways, id only go S-Class or a sporty one like a clk or something like that