: Northstar worries

metro107
04-17-04, 06:44 AM
I just got my 94 eldo back on the road acouple of weeks ago after replacing the front head gasket and timeserting the block (pulled head bolts). My concern is the rear head,it's ok so far after about 1000 miles since repair.The more threads i read on north* head gasket failures the more worried i become.Seems to me that this i an unavoidable problem with these engines until block is timeserted.Engine has 72k and cooling system has been properly maintained since day 1.:hmm: :suspect: :confused:

zonie77
04-17-04, 10:44 AM
Did you pull the engine or do it in the car? If you did it in the car then I agree with doing the bad one and crossing my fingers. If you pulled the engine you should've done both. Since it's up and running don't worry about it.

metro107
04-17-04, 11:22 AM
was'nt able to drop cradle so i just did the front even though there are threads that say both can be done in car.There seemed to be to much room for error during the timeserting process.With all this hinesight i realize i should have tried to do both.:banghead:

Lawrence
04-17-04, 11:33 AM
Hard to say. As Zonie said, if it were out do both. But it wasn't.

As a note. I did both of mine. The rear one was real bad. The front one looked very good. If I had done only the rear one the front would surely have lasted at least many tens of thousands of miles. So the fact that your front one was bad doesn't necessarily mean the back one is as bad, or will fail anytime soon.

It will not strand you anywhere. Just keep an eye on the coolant level, and enjoy the ride. Worry about what may come when it comes, or if it comes.