: 307 VIN 9: Need help

MadCaddie69
08-21-07, 03:45 PM
My 1990 Cadillac Brougham has a problem now. I tried to start it and it won't start. I took it to the Midas and they're telling me that the carb is bad. Bullshit! I just rebuilt the carb over two months ago. They also said that oil was leaking through the carb and the spark plugs are fried! What the hell is going on? What should I do?

MadCaddie69
08-21-07, 04:48 PM
Turns out it's not the carburetor. The timing belt must have fallen off. The compressoin might be an issue. I got the scoop. Well, I have to wait until tomorrow to get the full story.:yawn:

MadCaddie69
08-25-07, 12:48 PM
My car is still dead. The distributor was pulled off and still can't figure what the hell is going on. Any ideas?:(

joe_padavano
08-25-07, 07:21 PM
My car is still dead. The distributor was pulled off and still can't figure what the hell is going on. Any ideas?:(

Yeah, drag the car to a competent shop. I have several friends who have had simple problems take to Midas turn into multi-hundred dollar repairs.

First, your car doesn't have a timing belt, it has a chain. If they told you it needs a belt, they're full of it. It MAY need a chain, but that's a different part. Second, there are very few ways for oil to get "sucked into the carb". The most likely is a leaking intake manifold gasket or crack in the aluminum intake. You would have been seeing massive oil smoke out the exhaust in that case. The other way is a bad PVC valve or breather, but that's very unlikely and very easy to test (and very inexpensive to fix).

Why is the distributor out?

Mud
08-27-07, 07:31 PM
I don't even trust Midas to do mufflers anymore. That info they gave you sounds like total BS.

Also wondering why the distributor was pulled. Now you have to ensure that the timing is not totally out of whack if it is re-installed.

If the engine has the plastic-toothed timing gearset then it is possible that some of the teeth sheared off = no start. However, a competent mechanic will be able to remove a valve cover and see if the valves are opeing/closing as they should and can also do a compression check. That will show if the timing chain/gears are OK.

A no-start condition can be almost anything but it boils down to checking for fuel and spark first. Is the carb getting fuel and are the primaries sending a shot of fuel into the carb when the throttle is opened. Ignition - are the plugs getting spark? It would have to be something like a coil meltdown in order for none of the plugs to work, a couple of bad wires and it will still run. Electronic distributors have modules in them as well that can go out = no spark condition.

Who rebuilt the carb and was it rebuilt to factory spec? TPS, float, and mix solenoid set correctly?

MadCaddie69
08-29-07, 09:21 AM
The carb was rebuilt to stock, all setting just right. My neighbor's telling me there's something inside the engine tha't causing the problem. It might be the crankshaft. I dunno.

Gwokable
08-31-07, 09:22 AM
Listen to Joe, he knows his shit.

The thing you forgot to tell us is what it was doing. A million things can cause a car not to start. Was it cranking? Did it start up for 2 seconds and shut off? Those are questions you need to tell us so we know.

Don't take it to Midas, they're full of shit. Take it to a dealership for the diagnostics; they'll charge you money to look at it but 90% of the time they do a good job with the diagnostics end unless the shop is shit and they just want to sell you on more service, which they always do. Failing that, take it to an old mechanic. Daves Automotive in Carol Stream is a good shop, although I've seen better.

MadCaddie69
08-31-07, 07:01 PM
It cranks, but it won't start. The pulley move really fast when I crank it.