: Serpentine belt is -Jumping the tracks- on my 95 FWB

cadillacmike68
08-20-07, 10:55 PM
Hi everyone,

I finally got to track down the DTC 23 (intake air temp). Found the sensor and noticed that one wire was broken and the little plastic tube like protector was ground up. Then I noticed the serpentine belt was all chewed up. the two outer ribs were GONE.. I repaired the wire and replaced the belt with my spare, and it immdeiately "jumped" the tracks on the AC conpressor one rib to the front. So this new belt is going to go the same way as the old belt pretty soon. :mad:

I can easily put it back by losening the tensioner with a 13mm socket and sliding it back on the AC pulley, but on startup it just jumps back. The pulley immediately before this is the tensioner, I think it may be bent, loose, out of alignment, or just plain bad. Any ideas and / or suggestions. Can I remove the tensioner pulley without lifting out the block? The service manual only mentions the two bolts holding it on.

The car has just over 190,000 miles and to my knowledge the tensioner has not been replaced. The AC compressor, alternator and vibration / dampener have all been replaced (alternator more than once). PS pulley has not been replaced, but that is not in the path of this problem and it spins true. Thanks in advance for any help :worship:

N0DIH
08-20-07, 11:39 PM
What sort of tension is on the tensioner? Is it fairly tight? Is the belt tight? Are you using the messed up belt or a new one? A messed up belt will take off and do strange things.

I have the V08 HD cooling with mech fan, and it is a PAIN to change the belt, probably an hour or so job, possibly more. Hope you don't have it for that reason...

caddycruiser
08-20-07, 11:41 PM
There are just those 2 bolts holding the tensioner assembly in. I just changed mine recently because I had an ongoing squeal when it was moist out, which from reading, was usually the tensioner. It was.

Just remove the belt, crawl underneath, unbolt, bolt up the new one, and put the belt back on. Here's the correct part:

http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=38145

That's really weird that the belt keeps jumping tracks though...unless it's just not put on correctly or aligned on all the pulleys right...hmm...

cadillacmike68
08-21-07, 12:00 AM
What sort of tension is on the tensioner? Is it fairly tight? Is the belt tight? Are you using the messed up belt or a new one? A messed up belt will take off and do strange things.

I have the V08 HD cooling with mech fan, and it is a PAIN to change the belt, probably an hour or so job, possibly more. Hope you don't have it for that reason...

The tensioner at 190,000 miles is probably loose. It also does not look straight. but its dark now so i can't re-check. I put the new belt on and it immediately jumped forward one track at the AC compressor.

I do not have the heavy duty cooling option - right now I'm glad i dont!

The service manual shows a measurement to descern acceptable range or unnacceptable range - I'll check that in the morning, but I think the tensioner pulley might be past its useful life.

cadillacmike68
08-21-07, 12:07 AM
There are just those 2 bolts holding the tensioner assembly in. I just changed mine recently because I had an ongoing squeal when it was moist out, which from reading, was usually the tensioner. It was.

Just remove the belt, crawl underneath, unbolt, bolt up the new one, and put the belt back on. Here's the correct part:

http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=38145

That's really weird that the belt keeps jumping tracks though...unless it's just not put on correctly or aligned on all the pulleys right...hmm...

I made sure it was aligned on all the pulleys. I've had this car for 7 years and have changed the belt more than once. it's got a lot of miles - perhaps the tensioner needs replacing now...

Thanks for the part lookup. If my local dealer can't come close or doesn;t have it, I'll call those folks up. I hope my air intake temp sensor isn't all FUBAR'd because of this (but that's only a $17 part).

N0DIH
08-21-07, 12:08 AM
Sounds like the tensioner spring may have broken. Which is common. If you remove the belt you should have a LOT of tension on the bolt. If not, it is shot.

cadillacmike68
08-21-07, 12:22 AM
Sounds like the tensioner spring may have broken. Which is common. If you remove the belt you should have a LOT of tension on the bolt. If not, it is shot.

It's pretty easy to turn with the belt on or off. I think it's time for a new one.

I DID have a new belt on but by tomorrow afternoon, it'll be trashed as well. I guess I'll be getting two more belts as well (I keep a spare in the trunk). I would drive the Eldorado in to get the parts tomorrow, but I need to take this car to get the ignition lock replaced because the PASS Kwey went bad this week too!! :crybaby: At least I found a locksmith rhght next to the dealer who can re-code the new lock so that I can keep my original gold keys!

And the eldorado had 3 PCM codes that are intermittent :thepan: I still have to find them in the 4000 page cure to insomnia manual :rant2:

caddycruiser
08-21-07, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the part lookup. If my local dealer can't come close or doesn;t have it, I'll call those folks up. I hope my air intake temp sensor isn't all FUBAR'd because of this (but that's only a $17 part).

Yes, do! Just order online, as this and a few others always have the best prices you'll ever get, a limitless supply of OEM parts, and great customer service.

My last 4 parts orders have come from RMS, and I've been nothing but thrilled with the parts, service, and prices. Now, if they just offered a Fedex'able install guy to fly in with the parts and install them too, for busy individuals like myself...:)

cadillacmike68
09-02-07, 12:02 AM
It's all fixed now. thanks for the advice. when I removed the tensioner pulley it was more broke than the president's iraq strategy :lildevil:

I bought two new belts (one as a spare) and i'm good to go now. Got my last chrome fender trim part in as well so i can replace that dented panel.

New trim parts are getting EXPENSIVE for this car :bomb:

Still getting an intermittent 23 code though. the wires must be pulled from the harness up under the plenum...

caddycruiser
09-02-07, 09:53 PM
Great. Yeah, the tensioners seem to go bad without people even realizing it, and they'll pull them off missing chunks or really loose. I was just getting a terrible squeal when it was damp out, and did mine, which still looked and felt mostly okay.