: AC blowing hot

ShadowLvr400
08-20-07, 11:28 AM
I recharged it, so that's good. But when I turn it on, it engages and then kicks off seconds later. I can watch the pulley turn for about 3 seconds, and then it quits. Then turns, and then quits. Sound like my compressor has bitten the dust?

Mud
08-20-07, 01:03 PM
When you recharged it, did you put gauges on the system or just add a can of refrigerant? Cycling compressor indicates possible low charge, bad cycling switch, or clutch gap is too great. If the system has lost that much refrigerant, then you have a leak.

You really need to see what the system hi/lo side pressures are in order to figure out what's going on. Easy answer could be to stick another can of refrigerant in it, but that takes the risk of slugging the compressor with an overfill which is not a good thing.

What further complicates the operation is the auto climate control. You may want to run an a/c diagnostic check from the dash control panel to see if any trouble codes come up (not to be confused with engine codes/CEL light).

caddycruiser
08-20-07, 01:42 PM
Yeah, you really need gauges on both the high and low sides, because otherwise, it doesn't sound like it's actually charged.

The compressor going on and off is usually a sign of a low or no charge.

carnut
08-20-07, 03:01 PM
You also need to erase all A/C related codes since the repair. Enter diagnostics and when you are prompted to "erase codes?' do so.

ShadowLvr400
08-20-07, 06:11 PM
I added part of a can of refrig, since the gauge indicated it had enough. But, I only had a gauge on the low side. I didn't have the hardware to check the high side. It was low, but not totally shot. How bad is dumping some extra refrig in there? As for pulling codes, my Fleetwood isn't that smart. I'd need a scanner.

Mud
08-20-07, 08:51 PM
How bad is dumping some extra refrig in there?

Those lo side gauges are not known to be very accurate and a/c is a fairly exact science unfortunately. As far as your question, I already answered it. You can certainly try it, but you are just guessing if it will work or not. Hopefully it will.
The real question is why is the system so drastically low on charge?

Oh one other thing - do NOT use refrigerant with a sealer added. You will be sure to gum up everything in the system.

More info on a/c systems www.autoacforum.com - great source of help.

ShadowLvr400
08-23-07, 05:06 PM
I ended up adding 3 full cans of refrig before the system was happy. Yea, it was empty... I worked just fine for a day, and now all the pressure seems to be gone, so I've got a leak somewhere. Dangit.

ShadowLvr400
08-28-07, 03:11 PM
It's the compressor. That's where my leak's at. Anyone have a link as to how to remove a ac compressor from a LT1? I've got a parts 96 Caprice with a compressor I know is still good, so I'll be doing some scavenging again. :)