: "If it wasn't for bad luck....you know the rest

johnrgregory
08-20-07, 10:49 AM
click here for history (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/112716-update-head-gasket-99-deville.html)

So after more than 1 month I pick up my 99 Deville with the fresh new head repair, invoice said 20 timeserts, so must of done both heads this time. Runs good. I drive it to work on Wednesday, get it washed during lunch. On the commute home that night POW, I am rear ended by a truck, pushed me gently into the pickup truck in front of me. Damage $3470, the body shop will need it for two weeks when the parts arrive. Fast forward to Friday,

On route to the freeway the A/C is blowing warmish air. Cools OK at freeway speeds. Almost home and the DIC goes wild. Ding Ding "service charging system" Then the A/C blows warm. Ding Ding, "service stability control" then the orange ABS dashlight comes on then the orange traction control light. Sunday I start it up to take it to the dealer so then can look at it first thing Monday. Battery weak. Drove with A/C off and radio off. Volts kept dropping. down to 11V. DIC acting like it did on Friday. Got car to dealer, park it, turn it off. Tried to restart, no power. ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?????? :thepan:

eldorado1
08-20-07, 11:49 AM
hehehe... well luckily (grin) they're probably all related to the same problem - a bad alternator or otherwise uncharging system

Zorb750
08-20-07, 01:31 PM
Check the connections at the fuse panel on the under-hood side of the wheel well. I had very similar, and it turned out to be a loose connection there. Look for the two large red wires, they have nuts on them that you can get with a ratchet. Disconnect your negative battery first though, this could make some real sparks if you hit metal on the car body or anything with the tool. It seems it's not uncommon for mechanics to leave them approximately hand tight and after any cradle-out repairs, they act up after a few weeks.

codewize
08-20-07, 02:06 PM
Are there 10 bolt on ea side? I thought it was 40 for both heads? Maybe I'm dreaming. I guess that does sound like a lot.

johnrgregory
08-20-07, 04:52 PM
Dealer called, said it was a loose wire. Their mechanic did not tighten it when reinstalling the engine.

Check the connections at the fuse panel on the under-hood side of the wheel well. I had very similar, and it turned out to be a loose connection there. Look for the two large red wires, they have nuts on them that you can get with a ratchet. Disconnect your negative battery first though, this could make some real sparks if you hit metal on the car body or anything with the tool. It seems it's not uncommon for mechanics to leave them approximately hand tight and after any cradle-out repairs, they act up after a few weeks.

eldorado1
08-20-07, 08:14 PM
See? Good luck!

z06bigbird
08-20-07, 09:45 PM
Quit you _itching!!

johnrgregory
08-21-07, 08:41 AM
Quit you _itching!!
:worship: :)