: Turnsignal-switch-cam change...

Swedish DeVille Dude
08-20-07, 09:13 AM
Hello everyone,

Before attempting this repair myself I thought Id ask the people on this brilliant forum for some advice.
The turn-signal lever in my 1968 Caddy DeVille wont stay in the "turning-right-position" so I thought Id change the turn-signal-switch cam in the steering column. Is there anyone who has done this repair work before and has some advice to give me ?
Its a tilt- & telescope steering column on my car.

Very happy for all the help I can get !

Take care / Stefan from Stockholm, Sweden

Old Fleetwood
08-20-07, 04:51 PM
A CHILTON'S or HAYNES manual (maybe at your library or you might have to buy) should give you all the details you need.
Generally, it's merely a case of pulling the negative cable off the battery - so you don't find yourself in a shower of sparks somewhere along the way - then removing the center horn pad off the steering wheel.
That last part can be tricky depending on how it's attached. Some are screwed on from the back, others are friction clipped and have to be pulled straight off. That's where the expertise of those on this BB - or the books I noted above - would be helpful.
After that, there's usually a big nut holding the steering wheel you have to remove.
But be sure you INDEX the wheel at STRAIGHT AHEAD with your car wheels straight ahead before you pull it so you don't return it to some crazy angle when you put everything back together and look like you're turning left (or whereever) when you're going straight.
Others on the BB should chime in with good, expert advice.:)

cadillacmike68
08-20-07, 11:13 PM
Have you found a switch - they are hard to find. If you find one, please let me know where you got it - I'm looking for one too.

Make sure you are sitting down when they tell you the price!

Swedish DeVille Dude
08-21-07, 03:00 AM
Hello again,

The turnsignal switch cam I bought is the one from DORMAN (part # 49303)
but this is only the cam (and return-springs).
I have the 1968 Caddy Shop Manual and it seems I will also need to buy a Lock plate spring compressor to reach the cam (after having removed the steering wheel)...Well after the c-ring is removed I hope the cam is visuable and easy to replace...I hope (!)...

Im grateful for any advice I can get from you guys.

Cheers from a Swedish Cadillac-buddie

Stefan

Swedish DeVille Dude
08-23-07, 03:25 AM
Ill give it one more shot...: Anyone out there who can give me some more advice on how to replace the turn signal cam on my 1968 DeVille ?

Very grateful for all the help I can get.

Cheers from Stockholm, Sweden !

cadillacmike68
09-01-07, 11:53 PM
You mentioned that you have the shop manual right - I've never done it on a 68. you are basically talking about disdassembling and re-assembling the switch - mighty complicated task.

HartfordGuy
11-22-11, 07:51 PM
Stefan, Did you ever get the turn signal cam replaced?

My 68 Eldo has the same problem. The switch wont hold on in the right turn position. Did replacing just the cam fix it?

Dave