: Oil Level

MortnCyn
08-20-07, 07:42 AM
Just had the oil changed in our V6 and the level is about 1/4" above the hatch mark. The manual states that the oil level should not be above the hatch marks on the dip stick. Should one be concerned with this oil level?

mjk
08-20-07, 08:03 AM
I overfilled engine oil in my infiniti one time. The 'oil light' came on. Took it to the dealer and they said it had too much oil. I guess it's not a desirable situation.

donjumpsuit
08-20-07, 11:22 AM
My buddy worked a gas station most of our youth, and came out one day to find a woman had filled her oil "all the way up to the top". I can't imagine how many quarts this takes (20?) but it is well characterized. You will know you have added too much oil when your car has billowing blue smoke coming from all around it when you start the car. Otherwise, when the oil is just a bit too high, there are overflow tubings that deal with this and usually expunge the oil to the ground below.

Smokin' SRX
08-22-07, 11:54 PM
Don, don't know if that's is true for all cars. I had a car where too much oil also caused pressure guage to drop noticeably! Dealer says oil can "churn and foam" causing less pressure and I assume less lubrication? Anyway w/ 1 qt too much.....nothing leaked out. Maybe ..... when in doubt, take it out! :)

n7don_srx
08-25-07, 08:41 PM
Just had the oil changed in our V6 and the level is about 1/4" above the hatch mark. The manual states that the oil level should not be above the hatch marks on the dip stick. Should one be concerned with this oil level?

I just posted my observation after changing oil for the first time:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/115759-oil-change-quantity.html
Wonder if the dipstick or spec is wrong?

MortnCyn
08-26-07, 06:43 AM
I just posted my observation after changing oil for the first time:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/115759-oil-change-quantity.html
Wonder if the dipstick or spec is wrong?Or both? Manuals and instructions should say what they mean and mean what they say.
DO NOT is not a definite maybe!
Wish ewill3rd would weigh in on this subject.

robhersch
08-26-07, 10:46 PM
Ref: SRX service manual GMT/05-SRX-2:
1) 3.6L V6: with filter=6 Qts; without filter=5.5 Qts (pp6-20)
2) 4.6L V8: with filter=8.0 Qts; without filter=7.5 Qts (pp6-506)
3) I recall reading someplace that ALW vehicles require 1/2 Qt less oil due to the front drive shaft passing through the oil pan. Pp 6-46 & 6-47 show a "porthole" in the V6 oil pan, but not clear on pp 6-51; but pp6-532 to 6-535 shows only one type of V8 oil pan with a "porthole" for the front AWD drive shaft; and since my 2005 SRX N*V8 RWD does in fact have the "porthole" through my cast alloy oil pan, I would prefer to believe 1) & 2) above.
4) My GM Cad dealer charges me for only 7 1/2 qts (full synthetic and suggests changing oil every 3,000 miles); but my independent Cad service guy says and actually installs 8 qts (Mobil1 5w-30 and suggests no more than 8,500 to 10,000 between changes). Both always replace the oil filter with oil change. (Std Delco pf-61)
5) My History: 1st change @4,368 mi w/ 70% oil life left; 2nd change @8,646 (4,278 mi w/ 70% oil life left); 3rd change @11,744 (2,098 mi w/ 83% oil life left; early to plan long trip and no service during trip); 4th change @18,000 (6,256 mi w/ 37% oil life left).
6) My history seems to indicate that my oil life indicator would suggest changing oil some place between ~12,000 and ~18,000 miles, probably depending on type of driving and time interval between changes. Certainly less costly than every 3,000 miles.
I have added no oil between these changes.

louisn
08-27-07, 08:02 AM
rohersh, my cad dealer and manual says follow the MM--with Mobil One--My Honda also has a MM and its manual specifically says that more frequent changes will NOT accomplsih anything except to your pocket book. All the oil analysis that i've seen on the web including chemical analysis of used oil buttress this position. BTW, Honda and GM? also recommend the use of a Tier One gasoline that seem to have more additives to keep injectors clean which may be a few cents more--- so they seem to call it like they see it as far as the oil companies and engine maintenance.