: Tow package pics

defiftyae
08-20-07, 03:46 AM
Can somebody with the infamous tow package post some pics of their engine with the extra fan and trans cooler and whatever makes it different from the base. I just got a used 07 and love it. The dealer said it had the tow package but dont really know what to look for and I cant find the sticker with the option codes. Thanks in advance.

n7don_srx
08-20-07, 08:16 AM
I just got a used 07 and love it. The dealer said it had the tow package but dont really know what to look for and I cant find the sticker with the option codes. Thanks in advance.

Option code list is on the under side of the jack compartment cover in the rear. Look for V92.

73Thumper
08-20-07, 08:46 AM
Does it have the 3rd seat? If it does - the 3rd seat is usually ordered with a prefered equip package that includes the tow package and rear air conditioning. My 07 has the tow package (and 3rd seat) - the transcooler is easily visible through the front grill, it is mounted just behind the grill opening and in front of the radiator - on the drivers side near the top of the grill opening area. It is about 5 inches tall, and about a foot long. I am not sure about this next info - but - my 07 has a "tow" button near the ash tray on the center stack. not sure if that button is present on vehicles without the tow option installed.

defiftyae
08-20-07, 03:13 PM
Thanks guys, I do have the 3rd seat and rear air. I did finally find the sticker and it does have the V92 on there. I was just conused cause I read it should have a 3rd fan and I only have the 2 behind the radiator. I added some pics of the cooler in front of the radiator on the drivers side and where the parts id sticker is on my '07. Thanks for all the info, now all I need is a class 3 hitch.

defiftyae
08-20-07, 03:15 PM
Thanks guys, I do have the 3rd seat and rear air. I did finally find the sticker and it does have the V92 on there. I was just confused cause I read it should have a 3rd fan and I only have the 2 behind the radiator. I added some pics of the cooler in front of the radiator on the drivers side and where the parts id sticker is on my '07 just in case somebody want to see. Thanks for all the info, now all I need is a class 3 hitch.

73Thumper
08-21-07, 12:57 PM
Sounds good, thanks for the pix, I also need to do a hitch - but I am waiting a liitle bit. I have looked at hitch options - I think I will be doing a full custom, I will add Corsa mufflers before I start. My plan is to design a hitch that I can remove from time to time without significant effort. becasue of the factory mufflers and the spare, easy removal is not possible with the current available hitches. Very Very tight back there.... Oh, since you have the "utility" package (3rd seat, towing, and rear air) you should also have a weatherpack connector in the rear bumper area that allows a easy plug n play connection to a trailer wire harness - available thru GM or some of the hitch companies (hidden Hitch, Reese, etc..)

defiftyae
08-21-07, 02:26 PM
I did see that electrical connection behind the driver side bumper. I was looking at the drawtite hitch and It looks solid but it says tow weight capacity of 3500lbs and a weight distribution tow capacity of 5000lbs. My SRX manual says 4250lbs. Should I tow no more than 3500lbs?
Thanks to everybody.

n7don_srx
08-21-07, 03:29 PM
If you tow over 3500 lbs you probably should have a weight distributing hitch. In fact I think you'd want one. Also anything over 2000 lbs (some may argue 1000 lbs) you'll want a brake controller too. I was disappointed there isn't a standard hook up for a brake controller so you'd have to run the appropriate wiring to it and to the rear connector.
If you get a change trace the lines to and from the cooler that's in front of the radiator. Seems like when I did it looked like it was actually going to the power steering system. I don't have the SRX here at the cabin so I'm recalling from my abreviated memory!

defiftyae
08-21-07, 05:03 PM
You know I had the same thought about the cooler in front of the radiator. It looks like its going to the power steering box but I could be wrong. Gonna have to check from the tranny lines and see where they go. My second thought was the radiator itself had a tranny cooler but thats just an idea. or does anybody know off hand where the tranny cooler is?

robhersch
08-22-07, 04:10 AM
I believe the SRX radiator has some trans cooling as standard, but mine also has the "supplementary/ auxiliary" transmission cooler (small ~ 6 x 12) mounted in front of the radiator. I have two electric fans in front of the radiator as well as a belt driven fan behind the radiator. TBD as to whether the tow pkg radiator has the same "fin surface" as the standard although the "HD cooling packages" some years back had much higher density fins with significantly more fin surface area vs standard radiators; and towing packages then also had heavier spring rates & heavy duty shocks on the rear suspension (TBD today?).
I believe the need for extra tow cooling is mostly to prevent transmission overheating, but the max tow weight is also based on many other factors of vehicle design and construction.

n7don_srx
08-27-07, 02:26 PM
Out of curiosity I removed the splash cover to see what was really there in the way of a transmission cooler. From the photo, the cooler that's visible from the top and behind the grill is for the power steering. The transmission cooler is sandwitched between the AC evaporator and radiator. It appears to be approx. 5" x 22". The trailering option (V92) indicates a heavy duty transmission cooler so I don't know if the "standard" unit is smaller or what!
Does anyone know which is the return line? or asked another way, on the transmission is the upper line out and lower in?

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2962/srxcoolerlineszv8.jpg

defiftyae
08-28-07, 12:17 AM
Just wanted to say excellent picture thats what I was looking for, cause you cant really see much with the plastic on their.

syrob@MSN.COM
08-28-07, 08:21 AM
Wow, is it easy to scrape and damage these lines ?

SYROB

73Thumper
08-28-07, 08:27 AM
I was searching this weekend as well under the SRX, excellent pics and thanks for the updates....

ggeimer
09-07-07, 08:03 PM
I don't have the 3rd row seat and cann't find the RPO sticker in or around the jack compartment cover.

Does anyone know where the RPO sticker is on a 5 passenger 05?

I have installed the Draw-Tite class III hitch (75174) form Etrailer.com and added the factory wire harness (12499575) from GMPartsDirect.COM.
This was a veary clean install, but took slightly longer than advertised about 1.5 hour for the hitch and I spent more time dressing the harness than installing.
A couple of comments on the hitch install:

The directions call out cutting the heat shield. I read on a different post that the install can be done by forming the heat shield around the hitch. Just be careful to not tear or loosen the mounting of the heat shield.

The second more importaint is the instructions to cut off the lower exhaust bracket bolt. This is not just an exhaust bracket bolt, these are the 5th and 6th bolts holding on the aluminim bumper. Without these bolts, the bumper is held on by only 4 bolts and they are all on a single axis. The lower bolt completes a triange that adds resistance to folding under or up when impacted.

I was able to flex the plastic retainer plate repositioning the lower bumper bolts to clear the rear hitch bolt for hitch mounting. After I reattached the exhaust hanger plate, I threaded the bumper mount nut while I slowly released the flexed bolt plate allowing the nut to thread onto the bolt. After the bolt is fully in place I used an open end wrench to tighten the lower nut. After it was installed I had a hitch bolt torqued in place with a bumper bolt nearly touching it. With out flexing the bumper bolt out of position, it would be impossible to assemble or disassemble either assemblies. I am pleased with the final result and didn't need to cut anything or comprimise any of the structures. It looks like GM intended the plate to be flexed.

After market wireing doesn't support a clean wiring harness as GM provides (buy the harness from GM), so they may also miss the simplicity of design of the bumper bolts plate.

Etrailer has a bracket (8140) that will hold the OEM harness in the protective holder. The bolt pattern for the molded holder lines up with a diagonal to the two patterns supported by the no drill braket. I angled the holder to compensate for the off angle of the hitch (the harness is closer to square to the vehicle pointing back tward the trailer.) I was able to mount the bracke without covering the "e" in Draw-tite. I bought a full bracket kit from Etrailer, but I didn't need the stamped metal four pole holder since GM has a much nicer molded plastic holder. I have the bracket mounted on top of the hitch tube with the molded holder supported under the bracket. It is as close to OEM look that I could achieve. It is obvious that the holder is mounted diagonly with the extra holes in the bracket visible, but it looks much better than the stamped steel holder from Etrailer.

robhersch
09-08-07, 12:47 AM
I don't have the 3rd row seat and cann't find the RPO sticker in or around the jack compartment cover.
Does anyone know where the RPO sticker is on a 5 passenger 05?.

FYI - My RPO sticker on my 2005 SRX w/o third row seat is mounted on the inside of the small side-wall-storage compartment that is located just below the right fixed window and about 8 inches inside of the rear deck opening.
Good luck.

ggeimer
09-10-07, 07:39 PM
Thanks,

I found my RPO code sticker on the cover to the rear storage compartment on the passenger side window. Now I can look up the options that were included with the car.

I know that I don't have the air leveling system since I didn't need to install a spacer under the non-existent air pump when installing the hitch. I do have the system on my 03 Venture which complicated adding the hitch to that vehicle. I was fortunate that I installed the hitch as I discovered the leveling system had a deteriorated air hose that was about to fail. The line disintegrated in less than 5 years. It also made a relatively clean job very dirty. Both vehicles look spotless underneath and my hands were grease and dirt free until I touched the air hose. After that It looked like I replaced a head gasket.

Unfortunately I don't have the V92 option either. I will look up the other codes to see what I do have. I don't need the extra cooling since I don't plan on towing anything more that a cargo box or my son's tandem tricycle weighing 400 including trailer.

It would be nice to know that I could tow more if I needed to.

I looked at the bolts I describe in my first post. They are really tight and locked together. It surprises me that I was able to bolt it all together.

mjk
09-11-07, 07:55 AM
Etrailer has a bracket (8140) that will hold the OEM harness in the protective holder. The bolt pattern for the molded holder lines up with a diagonal to the two patterns supported by the no drill braket. I angled the holder to compensate for the off angle of the hitch (the harness is closer to square to the vehicle pointing back tward the trailer.) I was able to mount the bracke without covering the "e" in Draw-tite. I bought a full bracket kit from Etrailer, but I didn't need the stamped metal four pole holder since GM has a much nicer molded plastic holder. I have the bracket mounted on top of the hitch tube with the molded holder supported under the bracket. It is as close to OEM look that I could achieve. It is obvious that the holder is mounted diagonly with the extra holes in the bracket visible, but it looks much better than the stamped steel holder from Etrailer.

can you post pics of that bracket?

ggeimer
09-13-07, 08:31 PM
Yes, I will post pictures. I will try to do this tonight. The bracket would look better if I had assembled it correctly the first time. I have some marks left by the screws when I tried having the bracket suspend the harness from the bottom. It looks so much better from the top. I should hit the bracket with some black touch up paint.

I will post the pictures of the nuts and bolts. It has an M.C. Escher look of design.

Sorry about the delay, I don't check the forums very often.

Like an other user I bought my SRX from a Dealer who listed the car as RWD, when I ran the RPO code MX7, I found out that I got an AWD model. I just saved about $1400 on blue book and lost 1 mpg.

ggeimer
09-14-07, 12:38 AM
here are the pictures. I have a couple of pictures of the stamped metal brackets from my Venture. The Venture bracket looks good, but is flimsy.

I have a blurry picture of the Hitch bolt and bumper bolt as well as a work drawing.

n7don_srx
09-14-07, 08:40 AM
I have installed the Draw-Tite class III hitch (75174) form Etrailer.com and added the factory wire harness (12499575) from GMPartsDirect.COM.

Do you know the difference between Draw-Tite and the cheaper Hidden Hitch? The pictures shown on Etrailer look the same.

ggeimer
09-14-07, 01:49 PM
Do you know the difference between Draw-Tite and the cheaper Hidden Hitch? The pictures shown on Etrailer look the same.

I don't know the difference. If I recall my research I found the same instructions, or similar for both hitches. Also the Hidden Hitch claimed class III/IV where the Draw-Tite is Class III. Both look the same after install. I have seen some posts here on the Hidden Hitch and the comment was it doesn't look too hidden. The angle of the photographs are take with the camera low to the ground to actually show the hitch details. When you walk up to the car and look down at the hitch the hitch looks less prominent. Tailgating the car, the hitch looks pretty much like the photos and is not concealed. The hitch is about as high as can be placed without altering the bumper, and about flush with the spare tire. I need a 3/4" rise to get my trailer level.

I have not received a cargo carrier yet, and anticipate a receiver rise adapter of 4 to 6" will be needed to keep from scraping on exiting my driveway. I ordered the 6" for my venture where I already dragged the hitch ball on the street with no drop or rise to the ball. I believe I have 13" on the SRX and only 9" clearance on the Venture hitch receiver to ground.

I found cheaper Draw-Tite locations, but after shipping they weren't cheaper.
I chose draw-tite thinking that price equaled quality. I am pleased, but I don't know what I missed with Hidden Hitch.

Contrary to other postings the Draw-Tite I received had neatly placed stickers both on the brand name and the trailer load rating. The one negative is the packaging. A good attempt at packaging was done by eTrailer, but the hitch flange did poke out the box in shipping.

mjk
09-14-07, 02:08 PM
I don't think there's any difference between the two, maybe only that the Hidden Hitch has only one hole for the pin/receiver.

mjk
02-10-08, 03:44 PM
Out of curiosity I removed the splash cover to see what was really there in the way of a transmission cooler. From the photo, the cooler that's visible from the top and behind the grill is for the power steering. The transmission cooler is sandwitched between the AC evaporator and radiator. It appears to be approx. 5" x 22". The trailering option (V92) indicates a heavy duty transmission cooler so I don't know if the "standard" unit is smaller or what!

sorry for bringing the old post to life. While putting on the mesh grill I took a couple of pictures of the radiator, AC evap area to compare with the one of a transmission cooler posted before. As I don't have the trailering package (option V92) I wanted to once and for all determine that my V6 cannot tow more than 1000#. Well, as you can see on the attached pic there is a tranny cooler that looks very similar to the previous picture. I measured it and it's about 4"x22". I don't have the third fan (just 2 electric ones), but somebody posted that they have the V92 option and no third fan.
I'm wondering what may be the differance between my trans cooler and the one of V92 equipped car???
GMJim, do you know of different part numbers for trans coolers, or maybe on some 04 built models there's other things that constitute trailering package???

Anyway, just thought I share this with others that may be interested in the subject.

Regards.

tmiles2246
03-15-08, 04:36 PM
I'd like to wire electric brakes into my 04 SRX and am looking for the brake power wire for the controller. Any idea where I might find this at? Possibly behind the brake pedal?