: 76 FI DeVille vs. 75 Imperial in Hemmings Classic Car

gdwriter
08-19-07, 09:55 PM
Got my October issue of Hemmings Classic Car in the mail yesterday. Although the feature car in this issue is Lincoln (with a beautiful '57 Premier convertible and a Continental Mark II convertible prototype among others), the story I went to first was a comparison drive between a '75 Imperial and a '76 Sedan de Ville d'Elegance with fuel injection.

Both cars are beautiful. The Imperial has a maroon leather interior that "isn't as pimpy in person as the photos may indicate." As for the loose pillow velour in the Cadillac, "We've stayed in motel beds far les comfortable than the leisure seat of this deVille."

With fuel injection, the Cadillac 500 makes 215 hp, same as the 4-barrel 440 in the Imperial. But the Cadillac makes 400-lbs. ft. of torque to the Imperial's 330, and as the magazine says, "when you're lugging two and half tons of weight from a dead stop, torque matters." The article also says the Cadillac "will stand you up and launch you forth with a power that nearly belies it size."

Of course, these cars weren't meant for handling. The Imperial corners flatter thanks to the torsion bars up front, but its steering is too slow; the Cadillac steers better, but Hemmings calls its handling "seaworthy."

If you like 70s style luxury, this issue is definitely a must have.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-19-07, 10:32 PM
Going to Barnes and Noble tomorrow! :D

caddydaddy
08-20-07, 08:35 PM
I used to have a EFI 1976 Fleetwood, and for a HUGE car, that thing moved pretty darn well! The seaworthyness is sorta true, it took some heavy rolls in the corners.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-20-07, 11:08 PM
Does it quote 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?

gdwriter
08-21-07, 12:09 AM
Does it quote 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?Nope.