: Hitting 150k or more, is it realistic on my car?

auroradude
08-19-07, 09:41 PM
I have a 95 Aurora with 104,000 miles on it now. At approx 80k miles the oil somehow got really low and the motor started tapping bad once you started it, but after 3 or 4 miles it wouldnt tap anymore. We ended up driving about 40 miles like this..maybe more, in hot weather to go buy more oil. It had about 3 quarts in it total. I drained the oil and filled it with 7 quarts and it never did it again.

The engine runs perfect now and doesn't miss a beat (lots of $$$ later), but I am going to be driving it 90 miles a day for school all this year. Can't drive my leased car because it will put me over the miles. So what I need to know is do you think my engine will last me to 150k or more, given the oil was run really low once? The oil pressure light and fast chiming sound came on when it did this btw.

I'm not sure how long the transmission will last, so I will probably end up buying a new one when the time comes, and I want to make sure its worth doing it before I do that obviously.

If I ever have to put a used motor in the car, how many book hours of labor is it to remove and reinstall an engine in this car? Someone said it was 20 hours round trip. Is that true?

Thanks

bhoppes
08-19-07, 09:58 PM
I just bought a 1995 Olds Aurora at a car auction last week and on the odometer it has 222,500 on the odometer. The car runs fine, even though I am not sure it is the original motor and tranny. I did buy another 96 Aurora a few months ago and the car has 150,000 on it and the guy said it was the original everything and he had never done any work to it, he just did regular mantinence.

Ranger
08-19-07, 10:55 PM
It had about 3 quarts in it total.
Your fine.

I have a 95 Aurora with 104,000 miles on it now. I'm not sure how long the transmission will last
Change (don't flush) the fluid and it should be fine for another 100K.

jadcock
08-20-07, 09:11 AM
My '97 SLS has 160k miles on it and runs just fine. These engines and transmissions are fairly durable. You should be good to go, especially if you'll be doing a lot of highway miles. That's cake on an engine.

z06bigbird
08-20-07, 10:49 PM
Send me $25 and I will send you an official certificate instructing your engine to last for 200,000 miles.

Plus shipping.

auroradude
08-29-07, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the replies, sorry been busy with stuff. Ok thats good to hear. One other thing, i can guarantee the car has never had the GM Supplemental tabs in the cooling system. Is that bad?

Also, I change the trans fluid by dropping the pan and adding 8 and a half quarts every 30k miles. I figure its overkill, but its only $100 vs a $3000 transmission. If I can squeeze a couple extra thousand out of it by doing that im happy.

I keep the revs low now, never over 3000. Used to redline it to 6000 every day at least 5 times, but i was scared the thread bolts would start pulling if i kept that up. Got a new GTO to do that to now anyway.

thu
08-29-07, 01:17 AM
In regards to changing the tranny fluid so often, if it fires your rockets and you have fun, go for it. However, in normal service duty, you never have to change it; however, consult your owners manual.

The tabs prevent nuisance leaks. Doesn't hurt a thing to add them.

Ranger
08-29-07, 01:34 AM
One other thing, i can guarantee the car has never had the GM Supplemental tabs in the cooling system. Is that bad?
No. GM quit using them around 2000. So have I.

jadcock
08-29-07, 02:21 PM
No. GM quit using them around 2000. So have I.

I agree, but for MODEL YEAR 2000. GM had used them before, and quit using them during that model year (or thereabouts) because of the improved metallurgy in the blocks. I would continue to use the tabs in engines prior to MY2000, even if you're servicing it today (CY2007). There have been enough examples to tell me that the block metallurgy was suspect enough earlier on, especially in the 1997-1999 timeframe, and that it would br prudent to continue to use them for cars of that era.

Personally, I'll use them if/when I change the coolant on my 2001. They've been proven to be effective at sealing small leaks. And coolant is something you change only every 4-5 years (according to the book), so I would see an extra $5's worth of supplement tabs for a 5 year change interval a good investment.

Night Wolf
08-29-07, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the replies, sorry been busy with stuff. Ok thats good to hear. One other thing, i can guarantee the car has never had the GM Supplemental tabs in the cooling system. Is that bad?

Also, I change the trans fluid by dropping the pan and adding 8 and a half quarts every 30k miles. I figure its overkill, but its only $100 vs a $3000 transmission. If I can squeeze a couple extra thousand out of it by doing that im happy.

I keep the revs low now, never over 3000. Used to redline it to 6000 every day at least 5 times, but i was scared the thread bolts would start pulling if i kept that up. Got a new GTO to do that to now anyway.

If the head gaskets are gonna go, they are gonna go anyway...

the Northstar likes (and needs) to be ran wide open, on a semi-regular basis.

thu
08-30-07, 01:26 AM
At least in 2003, GM started using the tablets again. The 2003 STS FSM says so.