: Seat materials?

rlyons
08-19-07, 09:22 PM
Anyone know if the foam and leather can still be bought new for the driver's seat of a 93 FWB?

scurling
08-19-07, 09:54 PM
In a word, no. My '94 seat warmers burned out on one side, so I purchased the elements and will install myself (project still waiting completion). The repair manual instructs the seat cushion to be replaced also. My guess is it gets torn up quite a bit when replacing the seat heater element. Long story short, I tried to get them at the dealer and they were no longer available. This was two years ago.

That said, I think any good [auto] upholstery shop could shape new seat cushion foam to satisfactory requirements. I'm not sure, but maybe an auto upholstery shop would have the shape in their inventory.
I spoke to a couple of close by furniture upholstery shops, but they would not touch the job. I guess you either work on car seats, or you don't.

rlyons
08-20-07, 06:07 PM
I did find the leather from these folks. I guess I will try to get the foam shaped at one of the local upholstrey shops. Mine foam is a little thin on the driver's side where you slide out and in and it caused the controls to punch a hole in the seat.
http://www.auto-interior.com/seatcvrindex.htm#Buick

z06bigbird
08-20-07, 10:39 PM
You can buy the foam for seat cushions. Some health care shops that sell hosp beds, etc carry it. Also, for the leather, find an old car with similar color leather. Cut the leather off the back of the front seats. Upholst shop can work with that.

rlyons
08-21-07, 12:21 AM
I never thought about that, that's a good idea.

delzy
08-21-07, 05:25 PM
Keep in mind that many of the non-load-bearing portions of modern "leather" seat covers is actually vinyl. You can tell when you look at the back. If there is a fabric mesh as a backing, you are looking at vinyl.

For example, if you look at the "leather on the side of a 93-96 FWB where the common seat control rip is, you will see that is vinyl.