: 68 Cad AC Service

Garys
08-19-07, 11:53 AM
Can anyone recommend a good shop to repair / diagnose the ac on a 68 Cad? In San Diego/LA area. Thanks!

cadillacmike68
08-20-07, 09:46 PM
Wrong part of the country for me. What are some of the symptoms / problems?? I had to becone sort on an expert on this having a 68 DVC for 9 years.

Garys
08-21-07, 06:03 PM
Hi Mike,

Thank you for the response. The system seems to operate correctly. The compressor is shot so I am going to replace it, the hoses, drier, etc. and convert it to 134. I found a shop here in San Diego that seems ok. I have had my 68 coupe for 15 years. FYI fuel filters for 1968 Cads with air are getting scarce and hard to find.

Garys
08-21-07, 10:55 PM
Hi Mike,

Thank you for the response. The system seems to operate correctly. The compressor is shot so I am going to replace it, the hoses, drier, etc. and convert it to 134. I found a shop here in San Diego that seems ok. I have had my 68 coupe for 15 years. FYI fuel filters for 1968 Cads with air are getting scarce and hard to find.

The Ape Man
08-22-07, 09:30 PM
Holy Moses. Don't put 134A in that car. R-12 can still be sourced. Look at the archives here for some info. 134A does not work very well with R-12 type condensor.

Junkman
08-22-07, 11:17 PM
If you put 134 into that system, you have to change over the compressor oil, and completely purge the system of all the old oil. By the time you are finished, you have just spent as much as you would have for R12. 134 doesn't cool as well in the older cars, and it also has a tendency to leak through the hoses, since they are not designed for 134. People that I know that have switched to 134 have regretted it, but it can't be reversed. This is because of the "one way" fittings that they screw onto the existing fittings. If you try to remove the 134 fittings, you will ruin the threads on the original lines. It is a bad news thing to do. Go without air conditioning, rather than bastardizing the car with 134 conversion. It will hurt the resale value of the car also. I know...... your never going to sell it.... That is what the original owner said also....

Mud
08-23-07, 07:39 AM
There is more than that needed to do the conversion right.
http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=7927

This a/c forum is a good source of info and help, I've used it for all of our vehicles at one time or another. Using it now for some help on my 86's a/c fittings.

cadillacmike68
09-01-07, 10:48 PM
Holy Moses. Don't put 134A in that car. R-12 can still be sourced. Look at the archives here for some info. 134A does not work very well with R-12 type condensor.

the ape man is right on this. don't make him go apesh!!t :D

Garys
09-13-07, 07:20 PM
After reading your posts I did decide to stick with R12. I am still going to replace the compressor, drier, and hoses too. Getting it fixed next week! Thanks for the advice.

My_favorite_Brougham
09-13-07, 07:42 PM
If you switch to 134a, you basically have to replace all the other components whether or not they're bad. That can add up. Costed me $1200 for a conversion, all because the guy didn't tell me I needed every new part. Now I know. Stick with r12, and keep your stock equipment - it's still good. A conversion may sound practical, but it's just not worth the trouble when r12 can still be found. It will probably be cheaper in total, too.

Good luck!

Greg