: Seat Memory Problems

sts/allante
08-18-07, 08:12 PM
My 2006 AWD V6 STS 1SG package does not always return the seat and steering wheel to the stored positions. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Before I bring it to the dealer has any one else experienced this problem?

z06bigbird
08-18-07, 08:31 PM
There is no problem with your car or system. I don't know if I can explain it, but here goes. Memory depends on whether you lock car with fob or with button on door. If you hit the actual door lock, it does not activate the mem.

My wife complains to me regularly about that.

I think I have fixed the situation where she no longer calls me about that. On one of our older cars, a spark plug wire caught fire. She calls me from 20 miles away stating that the car is on fire. I immediately asked her why she was calling me instead of the fire dept.

She no longer calls me with car complaints. In fact, she rarely talks to me now.l

dkozloski
08-18-07, 08:36 PM
There is no problem with your car or system. I don't know if I can explain it, but here goes. Memory depends on whether you lock car with fob or with button on door. If you hit the actual door lock, it does not activate the mem.

My wife complains to me regularly about that.

I think I have fixed the situation where she no longer calls me about that. On one of our older cars, a spark plug wire caught fire. She calls me from 20 miles away stating that the car is on fire. I immediately asked her why she was calling me instead of the fire dept.

She no longer calls me with car complaints. In fact, she rarely talks to me now.l
I don't think your explanation applies to an STS. Locking the car is completely passive. All you have to do is walk away from it.

Cajonkev
08-18-07, 09:11 PM
My 2006 AWD V6 STS 1SG package does not always return the seat and steering wheel to the stored positions. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Before I bring it to the dealer has any one else experienced this problem?

I had an identical chronic nagging issue with my 05 with the seat memory/steering. GM actually flew a tech out who spent three days working on it.

At first they thought it was the memory module which they replaced to no avail...

Turns out the wiring harness runs along the driver' seat rail and as it moved back and forth it chaffed the wiring to the point that it started shorting out.

It was an "extremely" minor chafe but enough to interrupt the signaling. It caused issues with both the steering and seat functionality.

The tech replaced the seat wiring harness and then used cable ties to secure the new one with enough play to keep it from binding/chaffing.

I literally had 30 days of shop time before they/he found it. In fact by the time he did, GM had already agreed to the Buy-back which led to my current ride...

It did fix the problem however and I had 30+ days of trouble free service before my new car came in.

MARKVIII
08-19-07, 07:16 AM
i don't understand when people have problems with a car that's under warrenty why they don't just bring it back to the dealer (get a loaner at no charge) and be on your way. let them figure out why something is not working. my service advisor tells me that for every pain in the ass like myself that brings the car back for every little thing, there are 20 people who never bring it back for anything. seems like a waste of a warrenty from where i am standing.

Superjim
08-19-07, 09:47 AM
i don't understand when people have problems with a car that's under warrenty why they don't just bring it back to the dealer (get a loaner at no charge) and be on your way. let them figure out why something is not working. my service advisor tells me that for every pain in the ass like myself that brings the car back for every little thing, there are 20 people who never bring it back for anything. seems like a waste of a warrenty from where i am standing.

I agree 100 %. I take mine in for anything that goes wrong. With a sticker price of $60K, they can darn well fix anything that is wrong with it. Need to take it in now. The drivers seat back is not blowing cold air. The bottom works ok, but the back rest is not getting cold like it used to.

Jim

MARKVIII
08-19-07, 10:14 AM
what i do is keep a list of things (and one of my current items on the list is the same problem you are having) that i want replaced or repaired and when i get 3 or more i bring it to the dealer and get a loaner and i am on my way. as long as i am making payments on my cars i want them to be as close to new as possible. and if that means dragging it back to the dealer and being a pain in the ass well thats too bad for them. besides they love to see me because they get paid from cadillac to fix my warrenty issues.