: Town CAr destroys RX8

ted tcb
08-18-07, 12:25 AM
Title says it all.

The RX8 owner comes to a stop caused by a parade of Hondas.
A Lincoln town car rear ends the Mazda, and the RX8 owner is
slightly pissed, to say the least.
It appears no one was hurt ... other than one owner's pride.

http://www.break.com/index/honda-day-accident.html

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-18-07, 12:43 AM
Hahaha. That made my night. Now what do we do about all the other ricers?

Sandy
08-18-07, 12:44 AM
If you look at it, frame-by-frame, the Mazda RX was in fact, stopped in the middle of the lane.

eldorado99
08-18-07, 12:48 AM
Hahahaha, I love the distinct sound of a whole lot of Detroit iron trying to come to a stop. When you hear that behind you you know you are screwed.

99esteees
08-18-07, 01:24 AM
It's actually an RX7. A real shame if it was a twin turbo because there arent many around in good shape.

Lord Cadillac
08-18-07, 01:40 AM
I wonder if the camera man got the whole shit...

Mark0101
08-18-07, 02:32 AM
first of all its not Lincoln Town. and My god, the guy in the mazda is an a$$hole. who the hell cares about a freaking car more then the person. Seriously, when you are involed in that type crash, your first instinct should be ARE YOU OK? Can't believe there are a$$holes like that on the street.

eldorado99
08-18-07, 03:34 AM
I wonder if the camera man got the whole shit...
:rofl::rofl:

Red_October_7000
08-18-07, 04:38 AM
I do in fact think he did get the whole shit. But he may have gotten only some of the shit.
And it's a Merc Marquis now a Town Car. There's a reason you don't stop in the middle of a lane for no reason and this is it. You end up getting a Grand Marquis Supposetory. The RX driver was the kind of arsehole who deserved it, too, judging by his reaction when he got pasted for what is ostensibly his fault.

Jesda
08-18-07, 04:38 AM
Sorry, no empathy for the RX-7 owner, no matter how much I love FD RX7s.

RedGalant2k1
08-18-07, 04:41 AM
Screw the towncar (which is actually a Grand Marquis) that RX7 is much nicer of a vehicle and by the looks of it is far from a 'ricer' and could probably walk all over most of the V's on this forum. Didn't you guys also see the old Ford Bronco II that was in front of the RX7 he was stopped. As a result of the Bronco II being stopped the RX7 was and the result is an accident from someone in the Marquis who obviously wasn't paying attention.

Not paying attention at the wheel is much more an important part than the RX7 that was stopped because of another vehicle.

Krashed989
08-18-07, 05:41 AM
Not paying attention at the wheel is much more an important part than the RX7 that was stopped because of another vehicle.

I agree. Plus I don't like grand marquis in general. It looked better smashed up than shiney and new.

Caddy Man
08-18-07, 05:41 AM
Screw the towncar (which is actually a Grand Marquis) that RX7 is much nicer of a vehicle and by the looks of it is far from a 'ricer' and could probably walk all over most of the V's on this forum. Didn't you guys also see the old Ford Bronco II that was in front of the RX7 he was stopped. As a result of the Bronco II being stopped the RX7 was and the result is an accident from someone in the Marquis who obviously wasn't paying attention.

Agreed. The RX7 was stopped not because he just thought that the middle of the road would be dandy to stop at. It was the Grand Marquis owners fault. He should have been paying attention to his driving and what was ahead of him.

Many of you seem to have a ''holier than thou'' attitude when it comes to anyone with an import. Naturally he was upset. People on here get pissed if someone dings their door, let alone rear ending their car.

Jesda
08-18-07, 06:19 AM
I am holier than thou. I drive imports.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-18-07, 12:10 PM
It's too bad the driver of the RX-7 wasn't killed.

I joke.

93DevilleUSMC
08-18-07, 04:31 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, the Grand Marquis driver was at fault. How is it relevant that the person he hit drives imports? The RX-7 owner still has a right to compensation for the damage.

The Tony Show
08-18-07, 05:12 PM
That's a beautiful FD RX-7 that got killed there, not riced out at all. You can clearly see that the front of the 7 was also damaged, because he was stopped behind another car at a light and pushed into it. The 7 owner did nothing wrong here, and wasn't just "parked in the road" as some have said.

I wouldn't have reacted like such an ass, but the guy in the Merc wasn't even paying attention and needs to watch the damn road- I'd say he was within 60 feet of that RX-7 before he even hit the brakes.

Sandy
08-18-07, 06:22 PM
Both cars can be fixed.

RedGalant2k1
08-18-07, 07:45 PM
Yes, both can be fixed but the quality and resale of that FD is down the tubes.

And for those that wonder, those ricey RX7s can walk all over a CTS, and even CTS-V any day of the week.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-18-07, 07:58 PM
ok , 3 people should be sued here ...

First if it wasnt for the stupid honda festival the bronco II would have been able to make a left turn to there destination. But all the stupid ricer hondas have to keep there parade going , they wont even stop for a second to let the bronco make its turn ....Just keep going revving those dumb little 1.6 liter engines ....Im not impressed ...and as susal there out to cause accidents...

The Bronco 2 should have had more ****ing sense then what it demonstrated .....Ovisoly your not going to make a left turn from there with all those little children and there souped up little tykes cozy coupes ....so just go down the street and make a u turn at the end of the gay pride parade ...

The Mercury was going like a bat out of hell , and the abs seemed to be working wonderfully ....Looks like johnny jr was taking grandpas jr coffin out for a spin ....

disastaers happen in 3s .....

Im sorry but if someone plows into me like that , im not gonna give a shit if there hurt or dead ....

illumina
08-19-07, 03:02 AM

And for those that wonder, those ricey RX7s can walk all over a CTS, and even CTS-V any day of the week.

Why are you bring CTS-V's and racing into this discussion??

Jesda
08-19-07, 03:25 AM
Apparently the CTS-V is now a two-seat sports car. :)

Stoneage_Caddy
08-19-07, 04:18 AM
Apparently the CTS-V is now a two-seat sports car. :)

ive seen a 2 seat cts-v ......after i was done replaceing the rear seatbelt i had to put the seat back in tho ....then it was back to 5 seat

railven
08-19-07, 11:27 AM
I think it depends on whether you are the victim or victimizer (is that word?)

I've been rear ended. My first thought was "WTF?" I got out of my car rather angry and when I guy came out of his car all apologetic I got even angrier, but thanks to Angry Managment classes I didn't flip out. I did drop a few F-Bombs.

But then when I rear ended someone I got out of my car nervous as hell apologizing every chance I could asking if they were ok.

Oh well, nice car though. The first 10 posts of this thread were rather shameful. Nice way to show you're better then them.

Rolex
08-19-07, 12:15 PM

Just in case they didn't read it the first two times you posted it.:pwn:

Take that you slow CTS V guys! :abuse::hide:

RedGalant2k1
08-19-07, 01:57 PM
Why are you bring CTS-V's and racing into this discussion??

Can't imports that are nicely done just be referred to as imports that are nicely done, not 'OMFG look at that ricey little souped up miata"?

The RX7 was one of the quintessential performance cars of its time, it even to this day is one of the best handling cars ever built. If you could get past some of the drawbacks of the wenkel rotary engine then you could make one seriously dangerous straight line and curve car.

I mentioned CTS-Vs so those that may not know the RX-7 was very potent and to this day in stock trim still puts down high 13/low 14sec 1/4 miles. It was a nice car, not rice like all those civics (which even not all of those were).

Its just a different taste in automobiles, cars like the RX7 deserve respect for what they are, and thats a solid performance car.

If anyone should be chastised it should be the crazy person who was driving the Marquis and not paying attention.

Lord Cadillac
08-19-07, 03:17 PM
I know they're sick cars - I've wanted one in the past. Yes, some of them can 'walk all over CTS-Vs' but compared to a CTS-V, it's a motorcycle with 4 wheels and a roof.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-19-07, 03:26 PM
On paper the 7 was about perfect ....

270+ hp from a 1.3 mounted nice and low and rearward of the front axel line , the cars had a killer center of gravity , and were wicked light ....unlike a cts-v or other monster motor cars out there they had to be driven by someone who knew what they were doing ...they had a very peaky torque cruve on them , which some say is a lack of torque , that and they were a handfull becuse of there weight ....

its from a same school of thought that brought us lotus ....same principals and same demanding driving style ....a lotus will grant low lap times ....but you beatter be on your game becuse it asks for alot to get it there ....

remeber , the whole concept of large torque giving engines was to allow people to not have to shift , alburn , cord , desenberg , even cadillac in the early days built those massive engines becuse they allowed the drive to take off in high gear .....it was a stop gap untill the automatic transmission came about ....

Destroyer
08-19-07, 07:24 PM
I dont care if it was Honda Civic or a Bugatti that got rear ended. Important thing is that everyone was ok but still, the RX7 driver messed up......BAD!. Instead of coming out crying like a little girl he should have left his ass in the car and not said a word, just moan like he was in massive pain and made out like he couldn't move his neck and his back was killing him. He coulda bought 100 RX7's with the cash he would have recieved.

Benzilla
08-19-07, 08:02 PM
I can't believe nobody is sad about the Grand Marquis! black on black with a black canvas half-top - sweet! That was a sharp car, and no one gives a shit. I don't know how somebody can just make a sweeping statement that the RX7 is 'better' they're not even in the same class. If I want elegance, I don't go looking for a damn RX7. If I want speed, the Grand Marquis is not the car, can't people just accept that? Why does everybody need a racecar? Give me a mobbed out black full size American sedan any day of the week, forget about it.

z06bigbird
08-19-07, 11:47 PM
Hahaha. That made my night. Now what do we do about all the other ricers?

Confusius once say: "Moderator who laugh at ricer is one tough hombre." Or a mean POS??

LOL

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-19-07, 11:51 PM
Huh?

The Tony Show
08-20-07, 05:58 PM

Ha.

Ha.

Ha.

A stock FD might get the hole shot on me due to having no torque and requiring no skill to launch hard, but by 1/4 mile the V is back in front. Extend that race beyond a 1/4 mile and the gap gets even bigger as the Rotary runs out of steam.

One other note: The RX-7's 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are achieved using the ancient Rotary technique of "Drop the clutch at 7,000, then redline every shift." It makes for great magazine numbers, but the problem is you don't drive like that every day. I owned 3 Rotary cars and around town they're a dog. If you're cruising along the highway and want to punch it you have to drop from 5th to 2nd.

The RX-7s were a great car when driven at 10/10ths. Anything below that and you get smoked.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-20-07, 06:09 PM
That's what I've heard. RX-7s are meant to be driven like a race car. Anything else and you're doing the car more damage than good. I'm not sure exactly how, but I know those Renesis rotarys build up massive amounts of carbon when they're grannied.

Cadillac Tony
08-20-07, 06:15 PM
Whoops, wrong thread.

The Tony Show
08-20-07, 06:17 PM
That's what I've heard. RX-7s are meant to be driven like a race car. Anything else and you're doing the car more damage than good. I'm not sure exactly how, but I know those Renesis rotarys build up massive amounts of carbon when they're grannied.

All Rotaries do it, not just the Renesis. Unless you rag the piss out of it every day, plan on replacing fouled plugs constantly, as well as the eventual knocking and apex seal failure from carbon buildup.

They also can't be shut off cold or they flood. True story. Want to back your RX-8 out of the garage to wash it? Drive around for a few minutes first, or she ain't starting back up.

As I said- they're loads of fun as a race car, but miserable for street use.

Silver Dollar
08-20-07, 09:04 PM
Shove Lincoln Town Car up an import's fart can. Hilarity ensues.

Wish I'd thought of it.

RedGalant2k1
08-20-07, 10:09 PM
Ha.

Ha.

Ha.

A stock FD might get the hole shot on me due to having no torque and requiring no skill to launch hard, but by 1/4 mile the V is back in front. Extend that race beyond a 1/4 mile and the gap gets even bigger as the Rotary runs out of steam.

One other note: The RX-7's 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are achieved using the ancient Rotary technique of "Drop the clutch at 7,000, then redline every shift." It makes for great magazine numbers, but the problem is you don't drive like that every day. I owned 3 Rotary cars and around town they're a dog. If you're cruising along the highway and want to punch it you have to drop from 5th to 2nd.

The RX-7s were a great car when driven at 10/10ths. Anything below that and you get smoked.

I'm not disputing the maintenance required for rotarys. Just commenting that its no slouch. Much as the CTS-V it needs to be pushed to realize its full potential.

LS1Mike
08-20-07, 10:36 PM

OOOHHHHhahahahahah hahahahahah!!!!,
Faster than a V in when it is in stock trim

ahahahahaha
I can't stop laughing
Those things run LT1 F-body times.

Too much import juice for you...

However too bad it happend that was a clean RX-7. No doubt well taken care of.

The Tony Show
08-20-07, 11:21 PM
I'm not disputing the maintenance required for rotarys. Just commenting that its no slouch. Much as the CTS-V it needs to be pushed to realize its full potential.

The only thing that "needs to be pushed" in my CTS-V to smoke an RX-7 is the gas pedal.

Nice cars, but their legend has pushed them into an undeserved state of worship. The base MSRP (before options) in 1993 was $32,900, which adjusted for inflation is $45,600 in today's dollars.

Hm....brand new 2007 CTS-V, 400hp, back seat, trunk, roomy luxury car that runs 0-60 in 4.6 seconds

or

Small, two seat, no trunk, tight fitting, rough riding high maintenance coupe that runs 0-60 in 5.1 seconds?

Tough choice......

LS1Mike
08-20-07, 11:23 PM
The only thing that "needs to be pushed" in my CTS-V to smoke an RX-7 is the gas pedal.

Nice cars, but their legend has pushed them into an undeserved state of worship. The base MSRP (before options) in 1993 was $32,900, which adjusted for inflation is $45,600 in today's dollars.

Hm....brand new 2007 CTS-V, 400hp, back seat, trunk, roomy luxury car that runs 0-60 in 4.6 seconds

or

Small, two seat, no trunk, tight fitting, rough riding high maintenance coupe that runs 0-60 in 5.1 seconds?

Tough choice......

I totally concur, you can buy a used LS1 Vette or F-body and crap all over that thing.
RX-7s cost as much or more as LS1 Vettes or F-bodies.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-21-07, 12:09 AM
Yeah, but there are a million Corvettes or F bodys out there, how many good condition last gen clean RX-7s are there left?

LS1Mike
08-21-07, 12:21 AM
Who cares how many are left. If I buy a car that is less than 20 years old, I am going to drive it and is has to do certain things pretty good.
1. It has to run 12's. Reilablely everyday for years. Every one I have daily driven since 93 has, some are faster.
2. It has to stop well.
4. Needs to turn ok. Lets face it there are plenty of straight aways and we are not all chasing cones in a parking lot.
3. It has to be replaceable. Which Corvette and F-bodies are. Cheap to fix mechanically and easy to find.
Plus I don't do imports, or rotory engines
Why would you spend the same amount of money on a car that is over 10 years old when you can get a Corvette or F-body (f-body way cheap now) and embaress yet another import?

RedGalant2k1
08-21-07, 12:28 AM
Hey I know this is a big domestic site, thats not a bad thing. It just seems many people don't have a open mind nor do many actually know what kind of car the RX7 is.

And btw, you aren't going to spend $30k to get a FD RX7 unless its extremely low mileage, or been modified.

The CTS-V and the RX7 are totally different cars, and one aimed as a luxury performance car and one aimed as a sports performance car. Thats like comparing a Corvette and a CTS-V (yes I know, same motor) but its a different car. Both aimed at different markets and different buyers.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-21-07, 12:39 AM
Mike, put an LS-1 in a RX-7 and have the best of both worlds! :)

RedGalant2k1
08-21-07, 12:51 AM
Mike, put an LS-1 in a RX-7 and have the best of both worlds! :)

Actually thats pretty common.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1evurbadUCs

Night Wolf
08-21-07, 08:05 AM
I like the rotary engine.... alot...

LS1Mike
08-21-07, 09:27 AM
I am not saying the RX-7 is a bad car, but the last gen ones around here are not cheap. If you have one with low miles your going to get at least 20,000 for it. High mile ones sell for 10,000. That is ridiculous for a car that is now really obsolete and is a maintenance pig. I am well aware of the cars capbility. I just think they are way overrated.
However the best RX-7s are the ones with SBC, SBF or LSx conversion, because they will be reliable.
I think people pay too much for cars like my WS6. I see them sell for 15,000 bucks when they are 8 years old and have 75,000 miles on them. Stupid.
I am not saying Imports are bad at all, (unless it is a VW or Audi see some of my other posts) I just don't care for them and have no intrest in them at all.
That is why I don't go to import boards talking about how great Domestic cars are or to read about how my mad TyTE CiVIC with 20,000 dollars worth of fart cans and ground effects out ran a 20 year old TBI Z28.
I come here, LS1tech, Modernmusclecars, and SVTperformance.
If I wanted to hear how great an import was all I have to do is open a magazine or turn on the TV and let the Brainwashing begin.

Night Wolf
08-21-07, 09:38 AM
My only first hand, personal exposure and use with a Wankel Rotary:

http://www.nhsnowmobilemuseum.com/images/1972ArcticCatPanther3051.JPG

Not ours, but same thing... 1974 IIRC. 2-stroke, 303CC I think 23hp? who knows... the tach stopped at 8,000 RPM, the engine would rev forever beyond that... speedometer never worked. Sled is all aluninum, so it was very light... wasn't the best for handling as the skis are in-line with the body... ours was rough, torn seat, plastics and windshield were cracked, suspension that was shot, (rear would bottom out quite often, especially with more then 1 person) it was horrible to start, especially cold, no electric start, and not even a recoil device... had to wrap it around each time manually... But the one thing that just never stopped on that thing was the engine... well unless you hit the brake, then the gas, it would backfire and stall out and take about 15mins to start again.... but... that engine was all origanal, and just got used hard over the course of its life... still ran great without a single problem.... I think the rotary is a neat combination on the low weight snowmobile :)

It would eat drive belts tho, had to be replaced every year, the centrifigal clutch was cool though. With the worn belt you you run it wide open and the engine would race but it wouldn't move well.. had to take off slow then go fast... I remember when we did get a new belt.... my gosh, I almost burried the thing from a stop cause I went full throttle.... it would spin the (new, steel) track effortlessly at almost any speed tho..... gosh that was a great sled.

Ahhhh... now I miss the winters in NY.... and snowmobiles.......grrrr......

The Tony Show
08-21-07, 10:12 AM
The CTS-V and the RX7 are totally different cars, and one aimed as a luxury performance car and one aimed as a sports performance car. Thats like comparing a Corvette and a CTS-V (yes I know, same motor) but its a different car. Both aimed at different markets and different buyers.

I know, that was my whole point. The Corvette destroys the CTS-V because it's a lighter weight 2-door, but the RX-7 with all those advantages is still slower. I'm not arguing that the 3rd gen 7 was ahead of its time, or a fast car- that's a given. I love Rotaries and have owned 3 of them, I'm just saying that it's ridiculous to claim a 7 will beat V, because it aint' gonna happen. Even brand new the 7 would lose, not to mention that most of the originals still on the road have lost a ton of compression in the apex seals over the years and are probably down on power considerably.

Somewhere along the line people started worshipping the 3rd gen 7 way more than it deserves, and the resale on them is ridiculous for a car that will almost assuredly need a new engine and turbos very shortly. Quick car? Yes. Beat a V? Bring a stock RX-7 and your cash and I'll prove you wrong.

Silver Dollar
08-21-07, 10:17 AM
The last gen RX-7 was a sharp looking car. The RX-8 looks like ass. That's the primary reason the former has held it's value, IMO.

Jesda
08-21-07, 11:26 AM
Looks, low weight, precise handling. Its a surgical knife.