: Need help with weird steering issue on '93 fleetwood brougham

megatron
08-17-07, 11:16 PM
Today my '93 fleetwood brougham started doing a really strange thing,when I steer either left or right I get a squeaking noise the comes only from the left front tire area. I jacked that side of the car up and turned the wheel and it made no noise what could be causing this noise guys? Could it be the tire itself on that side has something wrong with it maybe? I'd really appriciate any help with this thanks.

N0DIH
08-17-07, 11:24 PM
Front end greased well? Ball joints going? Does it creak and groan at slow tight turns (like parking lot manuevers?)

megatron
08-18-07, 01:30 AM
It doesn't really creak and groan just the noise I described

The Ape Man
08-18-07, 08:29 AM
Noises should be sepecified as to exactly what is being done when they are heard. If it happens when rolling then look at wheel bearings, dragging calipers causing pad squeel and/or the happy tin plate thet deflects air onto the rotor. These can contact the rotor and make noise forever. If the noise happens when parked then start looking at front end wear items like balljoints and linkage.

The following should be a sticky if it isn't already:

You must support the weight of the vehicle under the lower control arm to check ball joints properly on this car. Checking them with the suspension hanging is not telling the whole story. If you have a jack that fits under the lower control arm then use that. If not then jack the car up at the frame and lower it onto some wooden blocks under the lower control arm. Then wiggle the tires in/out top and bottom to look for play in the balljoints. This applies to most RWD cars where the coil spring is between the lower control arm and the frame.