: Need new dash pad 4 a 94 FW, still available?

HotPursuit
08-17-07, 01:24 AM
Looking at purchasing a 94 FW. The dash is cracked pretty bad and would need to be replaced. Wondering if this is still available from GM?

delzy
08-18-07, 06:05 PM
Call your local dealer and post back. I might need one some day. Thanks!

caddycruiser
08-19-07, 11:17 AM
I don't think they're still available new, and if they were, the price would be ASTRONOMICAL.

You can find them in cars that are being parted out, however, and often in perfect shape. The cracking is a common problem, at least in ones that sat outside and the owners never bothered to protect the dash with anything or use a window shade.

So new, very likely not. But used, yes, and just ask around here (not likely to find much) or over on the ISSF and see what anyone can dig up. If you can find one at a salvage yard that's the right color, they come off fairly easily.

caddycruiser
08-19-07, 11:22 AM
Actually, I just looked it up on one of the discount GM dealer parts sites, which listed the pad at $886.14, with no mention of color or other details.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214638&chapter=&Sectionids=0,2610&groupid=2610&subgroupid=9375&componentid=0&make=5&model=Fleetwood&year=1994&graphicID=BA93150&callout=1&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

And that's with no mention of if it's actually still orderable or not. Given the price and these questions, like I said, salvage is your choice to find.

Any other details on this car you're looking at? Color, mileage, options?

HotPursuit
08-20-07, 03:11 PM
I called a dealer today and was quoted $924! I check GM parts direct, they sell it for $547, but tack on $120 for s/h!

Ouch!

I need a tan one. Only one available from the dealer is a Red one fyi. Part number is 10242752 in case anyone needs/wants it.

It is a 94 FWB with 91k, mostly loaded as far as I can tell. No tow package, no sunroof. Other than that I think it loaded. Has full lumbar/heated seats. I am still learning about these cars though. Its Red with a tan interior. Looks really clean with no rust.

I am probably going to inspect it tomorrow and pick it up if I like what I see. He said he needs to get $4500 for it so it seems like a decent deal from what I have been seeing. What you think?

I could wait for someone to part out a FW and dye the dash to match, or go with a dash cover. It a pretty bad crack though and it will drive me nuts if I don't do something with it. :)

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

caddycruiser
08-20-07, 11:48 PM
Yeah, same as the information and link I already posted--$800+ at a dealer, and really iffy on what's actually available.

Like I said, this is common on a lot of them with age (though both of ours are flawless, thanks to decent owner care) and your best bet to finding a replacement is a salvage yard or a person on a board parting one out.

As for the car itself, sounds like the typical Brougham model Fleetwood. If the miles are nice and the condition (all the trim and driveline, etc.) are to spec, $4500 is good. If there are various little or big things that need repaired or there are any other issues or higher miles, the price drops considerably.

Back in '03, we paid $4500 for a 9/10 '93 Fleetwood Brougham with 88k miles. Then in early '06, I bought my '95 Fleetwood Brougham with 117k miles in better shape than the '93 also for $4500.

Also keep in mind, these cars are old, and though very reliable and tough like any Caprice, etc., lots of little things can go wrong with age and you always have to leave a little room for repairs. If pristine other than the dash cracks and a little thing here or there, price should be fine. Otherwise, keep looking.

HotPursuit
08-21-07, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the advice. I have one car with the LT1 already so I am pretty familiar with the drivetrain issues. I am sure this one will need some minor front end work and a few other small things, but I will see. I will be heading out tomorrow to look her over.

If there are more than a few issues I will offer 4k and no more. I am in no hurry at this point. Are there any commom problems I should look for in the FW at this point? I will try to make sure all the accesories are working, that is if I can figure all of them out :)

I understand it is not too uncommon for problems with the ride leveling system to develop. How do I tell? I thought I read the car would sit real high or low in the rear, is that correct?

Just looking for the common stuff I should look out for.

HotPursuit
08-21-07, 12:12 AM
Here is a pic of the crack. Seller says the car is in very good shape, no paint fade or other weathering, so I don't know why it would have cracked that bad?

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2382/s4010005cu9.th.jpg (http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s4010005cu9.jpg)

caddycruiser
08-21-07, 01:04 PM
Yeah, actually, all the ones I've seen cracked looked EXACTLY like that. Haven't figured out a rhyme or reason for it yet, just seems to be prolonged sun exposure without much effort to plastic protectant AND a sun shade, if the cars weren't garaged.

Otherwise, for typical Fleetwood stuff:
-Mostly, with a Fleetwood, it seems to be a LOT of trim stuff, as mechanically it's all the same as a Caprice with all the same issues with age.

Trim/finishes:
-Driver's seat wears and gets torn on the side near the controls. I fixed my '95 with a leather repair kit, but you'll see it in various degrees (or be lucky and not see it, like our '93) on cars.
-Interior B-pillars are covered in the same fleece as the ceiling, and it tends to get worn, loose, and tear. Not a hard one, again.
-Dash cracks...as you've seen.
-Heated seats on Brougham models can be a hit or miss if they work or not, obviously after 10+ years and use.
-Exterior lower chrome panels tend to loosen up, the gray trim on them is broken or damaged from time to time (little old lady hitting things), and also sometimes the front and rear bumpers will be out of adjustment and crooked for whatever reason (hit lightly, installed that way, etc.)
-Chrome strips along the exterior sides get "crinkled". No real idea why they do this, aside from just the wrong material and formation choices, but every one does--including back when they were almost new and in warranty. Mine are pretty crinkled on both cars, but it's not noticeable unless up close, so I leave them. You can still order new strips, if it bugs you.

Mechanical:
-Rear air shocks, if not replaced already, can be weak or leaking, and the springs themselves get weak and go bad. These cars have a heavier rear end than a typical Caprice or Roadmaster, and the stock springs are naturally designed a bit weak and require some air charge in the shocks for the car to be at the proper level. Good replacement springs, to keep stock height, are those from a B-body wagon or a Caprice 9C1 (stock height, but stiffer/stronger to compensate for the weight), and then you can then change out to regular shocks, fab in airbag helpers to work with the stock compressor and lines, or just do new air shocks. Again, all depends on how the car has been kept up.
-Otherwise, underneath, just all the same typical front suspension wear, etc. as a Caprice with miles and age.

That's about it. Again, all the same Caprice mechanical stuff, and just a lot more trim and finish issues inside and out with the Fleetwood, and all really dependent on how the car has been kept up too.

HotPursuit
08-21-07, 05:32 PM
Thanks a bunch! :thumbsup:

My co-pilot had to bail today so I had to cancel going to look at the car today. I think the wife and I will go on Sunday and check it out.

I did find a replacement dash for the grand total of $25! I have to dye it, but I can live with that for saving over $600 over new.

caddycruiser
08-21-07, 05:37 PM
I did find a replacement dash for the grand total of $25! I have to dye it, but I can live with that for saving over $600 over new.

Yeah, good find, as long as the rest of the car it's intended for checks out.