: How do you remove rear center chrome bumper?

MaineWater
08-16-07, 11:44 PM
Im working on replacing my bumper fillers on my 84 Deville. I got the tail fins off. I just wanted to know if all those 1/2 bolts are what keep that chrome bumper on? Do i have to remove anything else but all those 1/2 bolts? Im replaceing all the fillers, taillight and ones under gas tank filler.

The Ape Man
08-17-07, 12:52 PM
(8) 13mm nuts hold it on. Keep track of exactly where the shims are.

Mud
08-17-07, 05:34 PM
You don't have to remove the center section to replace the fender or middle filler pieces. I just finished replacing all these on my 86 FWB.

The center fillers are removed from below by removing the phillips screws that you can also see from below. There is a metal bracket that retains the flat center filler that sits on the bumper. There is another filler that goes between the piece that holds the back-up lights and the flat center filler. It installs by snapping into the back-up light section and also with phillips screws. Kinda hard to describe over the internet, but if you get under there you will see what I mean.

Just fyi, I had to spend some time on the fender fillers to ensure a good fit. I added a metal strap on the interior face of the fender filler that faces the trunk. I used JB Weld to attach the strap and it is very secure. The strap extends back to one of the bolts that held the old factory filler panel - the replacement fillers don't have the internal reinforcement and no matter what they tell you, they need some support. The strap also helps to pull that inside face of the filler back from the trunk lid so that the trunk lid does not hit the filler panel.
I took the metal strip that held down the factory fillers and reversed them side to side to attach the new fillers - instead of the lip on the metal strip facing to the front of the car, it winds up facing the rear of the car. Worked really well.
I also used some body filler on the top edge of the fillers to ensure that the top edge of the filler matched the height and shape of peak of the rear fenders.
Finally, I used fiberglass resin to reinforce the interior seams of the fender fillers as well as underneath below the top peak of the fillers. The fillers get stressed when they are installed - they need to be pushed here and there a bit to match the fender contours and the extra resin willl to avoid stress cracks.

Sounds like a lot, it wasn't that bad. I've worked for many years on restoration work and that is the way that I do things, that's all. Mentioned here to note that in many cases the aftermarket body parts are close but not an exact fit.

z06bigbird
08-18-07, 08:39 PM
You don't have to remove the center section to replace the fender or middle filler pieces. I just finished replacing all these on my 86 FWB.

The center fillers are removed from below by removing the phillips screws that you can also see from below. There is a metal bracket that retains the flat center filler that sits on the bumper. There is another filler that goes between the piece that holds the back-up lights and the flat center filler. It installs by snapping into the back-up light section and also with phillips screws. Kinda hard to describe over the internet, but if you get under there you will see what I mean.

Just fyi, I had to spend some time on the fender fillers to ensure a good fit. I added a metal strap on the interior face of the fender filler that faces the trunk. I used JB Weld to attach the strap and it is very secure. The strap extends back to one of the bolts that held the old factory filler panel - the replacement fillers don't have the internal reinforcement and no matter what they tell you, they need some support. The strap also helps to pull that inside face of the filler back from the trunk lid so that the trunk lid does not hit the filler panel.
I took the metal strip that held down the factory fillers and reversed them side to side to attach the new fillers - instead of the lip on the metal strip facing to the front of the car, it winds up facing the rear of the car. Worked really well.
I also used some body filler on the top edge of the fillers to ensure that the top edge of the filler matched the height and shape of peak of the rear fenders.
Finally, I used fiberglass resin to reinforce the interior seams of the fender fillers as well as underneath below the top peak of the fillers. The fillers get stressed when they are installed - they need to be pushed here and there a bit to match the fender contours and the extra resin willl to avoid stress cracks.

Sounds like a lot, it wasn't that bad. I've worked for many years on restoration work and that is the way that I do things, that's all. Mentioned here to note that in many cases the aftermarket body parts are close but not an exact fit.

J B Weld!! My favorite.