: Enterprise Car Rental

99esteees
08-16-07, 07:21 PM
Has anyone ever rented from them before? I heard they don't pull driving records which is a plus.

But what I wonder is, do they do cash rentals with a deposit?

c5 rv
08-16-07, 08:11 PM
It used to be that you could only rent a car if you were over 25 and had a credit card. I think the age restriction has been relaxed some, but I don't know about the credit card requirement. Check your local Yellow Pages for local rental car firms that may set their own rules. Some are used car / rental car places.

dkozloski
08-16-07, 08:21 PM
Enterprise rented me a dirty, junker, cracker box after I had reserved a premium car. They are franchisers and quality varies from site to site but they'll never see me again.

Jesda
08-16-07, 10:01 PM
I get outstanding service from my nearest Enterprise location. They pick me up, drop me off, etc. The Cadillac DTS I rented was in outstanding condition and sparkling clean. The Tampa airport location had one obnoxious Indian guy who went as far as threatening my credit when I said I didnt want the insurance. Everyone else at TPA was very friendly and helpful and apologize for the Indian prick.

When you rent with your debit card, they may ask you to bring a utility bill and your current insurance card. You fill out a brief form with your contact info. The deposit will likely be $200 and you get it back 1-3 days after you return the car.

In general, I really appreciate the service I get from Enterprise. I also rented from Budget for an entire week and the guy at the counter gave us a free upgrade and went out of his way to not charge us the under-25-driver daily penalty.

z06bigbird
08-16-07, 10:25 PM
Enterprise rented me a dirty, junker, cracker box after I had reserved a premium car. They are franchisers and quality varies from site to site but they'll never see me again.

Finally, something you could not do. I love when they screw up. They are always willing to make it up in price or upgrade next time, etc.

99esteees
08-16-07, 10:25 PM
Will they want me to bring a utility bill and insurance card even if I were to use a credit card like my american express?

Reason I ask is because 4 years ago I had a rental longer than I was suppose to, and owe $100. I'm just worried they WON'T rent it to me even if I pay it which I intend to do. I was gonna have my dad rent it for the ride to Chicago but he doesnt have a credit card.

Jesda
08-16-07, 10:45 PM
Will they want me to bring a utility bill and insurance card even if I were to use a credit card like my american express?

No, if you have a CC its a quick process.

Spyder
08-16-07, 10:55 PM
I've rented from Enterprise twice. Once I paid a cash deposit of a hundred bucks for a new Dodge Magnum that had about 300 miles on it. We drove it to Vegas, broke a few things on a dirt road, brought it back without insurance, worried like hell they'd charge us...and they didn't. They said "ah, don't worry about it, no trouble" and didn't even charge me the extra ten bucks a day for being under 25.

Depends on who the person behind the counter is, I think...I've had really good rental experience so far...with one exception which was my own fault through Avis.

dkozloski
08-16-07, 11:09 PM
Finally, something you could not do. I love when they screw up. They are always willing to make it up in price or upgrade next time, etc.
I reserved the car weeks in advance. When I got there I had to wait cooling my heels while they rented cars to buddies who were walk-ins. The car I had reserved went out with a walk-in and I was stuck with an old sh!t box they had to jump start. The thing died the next time I tried to start it and I had to get towed to a service station and pay to have a new battery put in it. I did get reimbursed but I paid full bore on the bill. When I complained I was told to take it or leave it. It was almost the worst rental car experience I ever had. The worst was a run-in with a Pakistani in Orlando, Florida that it turned out had rented me his personal hoopty Mustang.

Playdrv4me
08-17-07, 01:28 AM
Ill be surprised if they allow you to rent the car without a CREDIT CARD. Not even debit cards will work, but so long as you have a valid CC I see no problem.

The reason I say this is I dropped CC's long ago and only carry a debit card with me now, or cash, or a checkbook. It may have been because I was under 25 at the time, but Enterprise REFUSED to rent me a vehicle at the Tampa airport location without a valid CC. They shuffled me down to Budget which STILL ran my credit!

Perhaps after 25 they dont, or they changed the rules, but I was so pissed off that day.

Spyder
08-17-07, 03:18 AM
Nah, I rented with nothing but a hundred dollar cash deposit and my drivers license...at 22/23 years old.

Playdrv4me
08-17-07, 11:15 AM
I know rental and credit card regulations vary widely from state to state as well, so that may have something to do with it. In some states your just plain not allowed to require a customer to surrender a credit card for anything.

blunted
08-17-07, 02:37 PM
If your renting a car and have an AMEX, you should sign up for their car rental protection. AMEX charges you $19.99 when you go to rent a car and covers everything for as long as you have it . My friend went down to Miami and rented a BMW 6 Series.. they wanted over $600 for insurance, used the AMEX and it was only $20. Just some food for thought.

Jesda
08-17-07, 05:40 PM
Also, if you use any Mastercard credit card for the entire transaction, you are covered even if the lending institution doesnt offer coverage.

Murphyg
08-17-07, 06:09 PM
I never pay for the insurance when I rent a car.
My own auto insurance already has that covered.
I dont know what its like in the States but its preety well standard here. Just alot of people dont realize that they are already covered.
But if using someone elses credit card then it could be a problem. Happened with my wife. Got a rental for a work excursion and used her bosses card. Seein as it was in his name but she was driving had to pay for the insurance.

Spyder
08-17-07, 06:17 PM
I always use my credit cards...Visa and Amex, at least mine, have really good rental car AND medical coverage if you use them. Call your company and make sure that your specific card plan does though as many of them have little variances between individuals based on what card and plan they have set up. Just call the number, ask for a tech, ask what rental coverage you have. Write it down, along with any other info that they give you, including the date and time of your call. Enjoy the hell out of the rental.

99esteees
08-18-07, 01:25 AM
Used my Amex Clear and was able to rent a Ford Edge with no problems. It was actually fun to drive, and a change from GM vehicles. Got my 2002 STS today.

thebigjimsho
08-18-07, 03:02 PM
I like Enterprise. I don't know if this is the case in general, but I rent from what seems to be the local Enterprise hub. They will send out cars to smaller Enterprise establishments, including my Caddy dealer.

But when I use their website, the hub's prices are always about 30% cheaper than the smaller offices. So I went in to rent a minivan for a long weekend to make a trip to Niagara Falls from MA. I upgraded to a Tahoe w/ unlimited mileage for less than what the minivan would've been at the other offices.

Plus, it seems to be run by younger guys who will always wheel and deal.