: Searing Pain!

Jonas McFeely
08-15-07, 11:27 PM
I was loading condensers in the back of the truck today at work. my boss loaded the last package unit on, leaving me stuck in the back of the truck, so i jumped up on the top of the unit and jumped down back onto the loading dock.

I was thinking to myself before i jumped :"damn, i really hope i jump far enough", and not get my foot caught on the ledge between the loading dock and the rear of the truck. Well, sure as shit, my large manly frame comes down, hard. Most of the landing was on my right side, which was ok. But my left foot hits the ledge and i hear a loud pop and crackle noise.

I immediately thought it was broken, judging by the noise and the pain. But i got up and walked around and the pain slowly went away. I told my boss, but said i felt fine. Well i go to Ocala and when i get back to Orlando, it starts feeling a little sore. I get home and take a shower and then go on CF. When i get up to do the dishes, all i felt was this horrible burning searing pain.

SO thats where i am now. It hurts like a sonuvabitch and i can barely walk. Or drive. Or do anything but sit here. I find when i dont move at all, it feels ok(go figure).

I do not have medical insurance and really dont want to go to the ER. Is there anything i can do to get treatment? What is workmans comp? I honestly know nothing about it or the qualifications. This isnt something i see healing overnight. I really messed something up. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys.

TaVern
08-15-07, 11:45 PM
For now, ice it down and take an ibuprofin or naproxin. Try to keep comfortable for a little while. If the pain doesn't subside or gets worse, you should really consider going to the emergency room.

Worker's comp should cover it... Just keep your work informed of what you're doing. Many people suffer fractures and aren't bothered by it initially, but get's worse after a while... Same thing happened to me.

Keep all documents if you go to the ER!!! Trust me on this. Hope you feel better.

nikon
08-15-07, 11:48 PM
Workmans comp is getting hurt whilst on the job...talk to your boss, there's prolly a million papers you have to fill out....but this certainly sounds like it qualifies....although I'm sure you could go to a free clinic for the immediate pain....the workmans comp will pay you what you normally would be getting paid if you could work if this injury inhibits you from working.

nikon
08-15-07, 11:50 PM
Or! what I usually do when something hurts really bad...I make something else hurt almost as bad....or I make the thing thats hurting really bad hurt even more..and then when the pain returns to the previous level it doesn't feel like it hurts as much....I know kinda stupid, but it works.

Destroyer
08-16-07, 12:47 AM
Put your balls in a vice and everything will be ok!. :highfive:

Lord Cadillac
08-16-07, 01:55 AM
If you don't see any bones sticking out - and nothing feels loose, you probably have a hairline fracture.. That's just a guess, though.. Is it really puffy? Probably... The ice is a good idea.. Keep it elevated... You could turn out fine without going to the doctor.. If you do go, you'll likely get a soft or hard cast...

DopeStar 156
08-16-07, 02:30 AM
I have more prescription drugs than a ****in' CVS. What do you want?

dkozloski
08-16-07, 03:27 AM
Workman's comp laws vary from state to state. In Alaska you are completely covered for all medical costs of an on the job injury. You also get a percentage of your base pay while unable to work but it's tax free. Tough it out until morning and get an injury report/claim form from your boss and head to the emergency room. If you become alarmed call 911 and let the meat wagon come get you. In Alaska you get calls from the state administrator of workman's comp to make sure you're being taken care of and if not there is hell to pay for your boss and his insurance company.

Spyder
08-16-07, 03:49 AM
Are you getting a real paycheck or are you getting cash under the table? Big difference in whether workmans comp will work or not...

Good luck man, take care of yourself and get it fixed!

z06bigbird
08-16-07, 07:10 AM
Put your balls in a vice and everything will be ok!. :highfive:

You might need to demonstrate.

z06bigbird
08-16-07, 07:13 AM
As others have said, do not delay documenting this incident. Give copy to your boss if he does not have you fill out paper work. Paperwork should be done within 24 to 72 hrs or things look suspicious (on your part).

z06bigbird
08-16-07, 07:13 AM
Workman's comp laws vary from state to state. In Alaska you are completely covered for all medical costs of an on the job injury. You also get a percentage of your base pay while unable to work but it's tax free. Tough it out until morning and get an injury report/claim form from your boss and head to the emergency room. If you become alarmed call 911 and let the meat wagon come get you. In Alaska you get calls from the state administrator of workman's comp to make sure you're being taken care of and if not there is hell to pay for your boss and his insurance company.

Hey, man, is there anything you don't know????/

Florian
08-16-07, 10:13 AM
Ive had that happen a few times....its usually determined to be "severe sprain" and they immobilize it, then tell you cold/hot/cold/hot w-meds for a few days. The swelling will subside over time and the pain will go away if you keep weight off it.

My unqualified .02

F

Jonas McFeely
08-16-07, 02:53 PM
I called in this morning and told them whats up, then i slept til about 1pm. It feels better than it did last night. But it still hurts really bad. Its definitely painful to try to walk. My dad said hed drive me to the doctor when he gets off work. I hope its something minor. I'll let you all know.

Thanks for all of the information. :highfive:

dkozloski
08-16-07, 03:01 PM
Hey, man, is there anything you don't know????/
Just about everything I know is written in blood. I learn the hard way but it stays with me.

Rolex
08-16-07, 04:28 PM
If you die can I have your Cadillac? ;)

If your foot was stuck and the rest of you kept on moving you may have torn a ligament or something similar. I'll put you to sleep for free for your forthcoming orthopedic surgery. :thumbsup:

Until then ice and elevate it for awhile, and stay off it.

Benzilla
08-16-07, 04:35 PM
Ahh, nothing a good brisk jog through the woods won't fix. ;)

Dadillac
08-16-07, 05:03 PM
If you die can I have your Cadillac? ;)

If your foot was stuck and the rest of you kept on moving you may have torn a ligament or something similar. I'll put you to sleep for free for your forthcoming orthopedic surgery. :thumbsup:

Until then ice and elevate it for awhile, and stay off it.

Exactly. That sounds an awful lot like when I tore my ACL. I walked around on a completelt torn ACL for four months before getting it diagnosed. Another two months before the surgery. You will need an MRI to see if any ligaments or tendons have been torn. Most of the time they will not repair themselves, and surgery is necessary to correct it. Do not do as I did. Get it looked at now before you do even more damage.

Don

Murphyg
08-16-07, 06:01 PM
If your not bringing any forms from your employer, be sure to tell the doctor that the injury happened at work.
Tell them over and over until they write it down.

FrankT
08-16-07, 08:41 PM
Jonas, sorry to hear about that, hope you feel better soon, all have given you good advice, see a doctor soon. In the mean time sit back and have a few.
:drink2:

z06bigbird
08-16-07, 10:51 PM
Just about everything I know is written in blood. I learn the hard way but it stays with me.

Sorry, but I can't think of anything to make fun of. Give me some more ammunition.

z06bigbird
08-16-07, 10:52 PM
Jonas, sorry to hear about that, hope you feel better soon, all have given you good advice, see a doctor soon. In the mean time sit back and have a few.
:drink2:

But not with any meds.

z06bigbird
08-16-07, 10:54 PM
Dang, I am beginning to feel like my mother--especially after reading all of the advice we have given this guy. Fortunately, it is not illegal to give medical advice--as opposed to giving legal advice. (Koz will clarify what I probably mean, but it is getting late.)

Rolex
08-16-07, 11:08 PM
Technically you can only receive medical advice from someone who practices medicine. Lets call what's given here "anecdotal idiocy." :D

Jonas....GO SEE A DOCTOR! ;)

ETA: STAT! :hide:

lawfive
08-17-07, 12:24 AM
Good luck with it Jonas, whatever it is.