: Caddy on FIRE!

VisionAiry
08-15-07, 05:05 PM
I Thought you guys would get a kick out of this. This was just hours ago in the parking log of my buddy's office. I wonder if the dealership will tell him that this is normal.

lbwd
08-15-07, 08:44 PM
Damn.
http://la.gg/upl/damn.jpg

Cajonkev
08-15-07, 09:45 PM
At least it was an 06 or newer and "should" be in warranty...:)

ascariSTS
08-16-07, 07:47 AM
Most likely it's a V8

the burnt part of the hood is right above the coolant tank...

What do you think was the cause?

urbanski
08-16-07, 07:49 AM
oops

Caroutisine
08-16-07, 08:14 AM
I wonder if the dealership will tell him that this is normal.

Or "unable to duplicate problem".

thefred
08-16-07, 10:41 AM
That's one "hot" car.:devil:

BirdJC
08-16-07, 01:18 PM
Yeah I'd be curious as to what the cause was? Any chance the owner was under the hood "modifying" something??? But none the less, hope they were insured... ouch!

megeebee
08-16-07, 07:32 PM
And they wonder why STS sales are so low.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-16-07, 08:44 PM
<insert Northstar joke here>

$20 says it's something aftermarket related. My apologies to your coworker Vision.

Jesda
08-17-07, 05:38 AM
Bwahahahahahha!!!!

CadillacSTS42005
08-18-07, 10:07 PM
wow that sucks....

robert copeland
08-18-07, 10:38 PM
damn that bites the big one.

dkozloski
08-18-07, 11:33 PM
How'd they get the hood to open all the way to the windshield. That alone is going to cost a ton to fix.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-19-07, 04:24 AM
notice all the fire extinguisher dust BEFORE the firetruck arrived .....someone attepted to save it

its easy for a fireman to shove the hood back like that , they do it all the time .....these are the same guys that take an ax to your front door and put the firehouse thru the windows of your car if you park next to a hydrant ...they see fire and all bets are off ....ive even seen them destory firetrucks just leaving the station en route to a call ....remeber kids , wait till the WHOLE truck is out of the station BEFORE turning left ....

Buzz48317
08-20-07, 02:28 PM
That's bad, but it could be worse...

rb92gt
08-20-07, 02:45 PM
I know the culprit: The owner was so distraught by the differential leaking for the baszillionth time that he/she "accidentally" spilled gasoline on the engine compartment and then lit it on fire... the explosion blasted the hood into the windshield. Poor bastard.

dkozloski
08-20-07, 03:02 PM
There was an auction several years back where the residue from a burned up Ferrari that reresented 40&#37; of the original car but included the data plate sold for around $7.5 million dollars.

z06bigbird
08-20-07, 03:25 PM
That's bad, but it could be worse...

That would ruin my whole day.

Buzz48317
08-21-07, 10:48 AM
That would ruin my whole day.

This happend to be a car that was owned by a company that does the "pay a thousand dollars to drive several sports cars for the day event". Apparently there was a Lambo, Ford GT, Z06, Aston, this Ferrari etc. on the event. First time the F430 was put into use...brand spanking new. Apparently a blown oil line sprayed oil into the engine compartment which then ignited the engine compartment, which then ignited the carbon fiber body of the Ferrari.

I'd rather be the owner of the car than the insurance company :) A first permium loss is a little tough to swallow.

Buzz48317
08-21-07, 11:01 AM
There was an auction several years back where the residue from a burned up Ferrari that reresented 40% of the original car but included the data plate sold for around $7.5 million dollars.

If this is true it was probably a 1962 250 GTO. They get that sort of money when sold, but normally they are in pristine condition. Most money that I have heard of in a F car selling at auction was a 1962 TRI/LM Testa Rossa. This car sold, at auction, in August of 2002 for $6.49M.

rblimas
08-23-07, 03:39 AM
And they wonder why STS sales are so low.

they are big, the younger people prefer small and fast(lol). the only reason the escalade sells is because the black people love it for some reason.

Buzz48317
08-23-07, 01:01 PM
they are big, the younger people prefer small and fast(lol). the only reason the escalade sells is because the black people love it for some reason.

I am 34 and LOVE my STS. I think that if Cadillac would get back into the leasing game a bit they would see STS sales take off. Let's face it there are LOTS and LOTS of cars on the market that you can get for $439 per month if you put $5,000 down.

Playdrv4me
08-28-07, 04:16 PM
Fire usually totals a car with limited exceptions, insurance companies just dont like to put these cars back on the road for reasons of liability.

It was definitely a V8, the wheels are a dead giveaway of that, Id be willing to bet the cause was electrical as the Northstar isnt really known for spontaneously combusting unless were talking about 94's with nylon fuel lines.

Buzz48317
08-29-07, 11:04 AM
Fire usually totals a car with limited exceptions, insurance companies just dont like to put these cars back on the road for reasons of liability.

It was definitely a V8, the wheels are a dead giveaway of that, Id be willing to bet the cause was electrical as the Northstar isnt really known for spontaneously combusting unless were talking about 94's with nylon fuel lines.

You can get the same wheels on a V6 with the 1SC group...just can't get it in AWD. Looks like a V6 to me as I can not see sprayers for the headlight washers.

Skibanker
08-29-07, 12:17 PM
When I was a kid, we had a mechanic leave an oily rag on top of the engine which caught the trusty ole Rambler on fire the first time the engine got to operating temps. Maybe it was something like that.

Playdrv4me
08-29-07, 12:44 PM
You can get the same wheels on a V6 with the 1SC group...just can't get it in AWD. Looks like a V6 to me as I can not see sprayers for the headlight washers.

yea but its VERY rare to see a V6 with those wheels, and Im not even sure that was the case in 2005.

Every V6 ive ever seen has the plain jane wheels on it. On the same token, youre right about the headlight washers I cant see them either.

Force-1
08-29-07, 08:04 PM
I have those 18" wheels on my 06 V6 STS, with staggered tire size. The dealer had 3 others V6 models with same wheels on the lot when I bought mine this past March.

ssstealth
08-29-07, 09:36 PM
My Dad had a Mercedes spontaniously combust several years back. We pulled over and emptied a fire extinguisher to no avail. When the fire truck arrived, they unloaded the hoses, asked my Dad if he was insured, and then WAITED, hose in hand until the fire got past the front seat. The firemen said if they put it out before the front seat that the insurance company may try to fix it. After it was out, they did the obligatory mass destruction of the hood to open it, look around, and in mere seconds determined that the fuel pump exploded.