: Smog Pulley

rochound
08-15-07, 04:44 PM
I'm new to this forum so please bear with me and forgive me if I offend protocol. I need help from U PLS! My son bought a '90 Fleetwood and lives in a small town with no dealer and he himself has no mechanical skills. (I didn't say that) Only mom's get away with those statements. He's 30 and it's time he learned. Anyway the one and only decent mechanic they can afford is backed up 2 months and says his car needs a smog pulley. I believe there is a "work around" with switches, hoses etc. Does anyone out there know of a book, link, web site or some resource that I can go to? Thank you for who ever has any ideas. Karen

Playdrv4me
08-15-07, 05:05 PM
Welcome to the Forum.

The Ape Man
08-16-07, 02:11 PM
Nice moderation job Mr. Moderator!:thumbsup:

If you are talking about the air pump pulley then that isn't a wear item. It may have been damaged by something unusual. The world is filled with these but they aren't commonly sold.

It is NOT a good idea to try to eliminate the A.I.R. pump. That was a common thing to do on older cars but your son's uses air pump air to make the catalytic converter work properly. The converter will go bad without that extra air. It will also effect the feedback loop of the fuel system.

Maybe a large junkyard would have what you are looking for. There are online parts finders that put out requests to many junkyards with one request. GM factory parts can be ordered online too.

You could also post a picture of the thing and maybe someone on this baord will take the time to find one for you. There are plenty of members here with car part junk piles including myself. Sometimes you send somebody something they even send back a thank you email. Sometimes they are just rude slobs......

My_favorite_Brougham
08-16-07, 02:57 PM
Welcome,

Let me ask something:

Is your son's Fleetwood the official Cadillac Fleetwood (a), which is a front-wheel-drive 4.5L fuel-injected car? Or is the Cadillac Brougham (b) which is rear-wheel-drive, and has a 5.7L Chevy EFI engine/5.0L Olds carb'd engine?

I ask because sometimes Cadillac lover's affectionately call the "Brougham" a "Fleetwood" as it was formerly known by. (They stopped in 1986)

If your son's car is the latter, then you're in the right place; if though your son's car truly is a Fleetwood, I would suggest you try the FWD forum, which is directly above ours on the forum menu. They would be more knowledgeable of your son's car.

1990 Fleetwood(a):
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/autoreview/400x266/1990-93-Cadillac-DeVille-Fleetwood-90122261991108.jpg

1990 Brougham(b):
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/autoreview/400x266/1990-92-Cadillac-Brougham-90122251991206.jpg

Anyway, best of luck. Sorry I can't be of much help. But thought I should clear up any confusion.

Greg

Brother_B
08-16-07, 08:08 PM
It is NOT a good idea to try to eliminate the A.I.R. pump. That was a common thing to do on older cars but your son's uses air pump air to make the catalytic converter work properly. The converter will go bad without that extra air. It will also effect the feedback loop of the fuel system.

Is it a good idea to eliminate the AIR pump if you don't have a catalytic converter? Or is it at least OK in that case?

The Ape Man
08-17-07, 12:56 PM
Is it a good idea to eliminate the AIR pump if you don't have a catalytic converter? Or is it at least OK in that case?

It depends. You won't see any performance increase and you might just see a drastic performance decrease in your electrical system at or near idle. Some of the older airpump installations were used to step up the alternator shaft speed. If I had a pre '75 with airpump I'd install a modern alternator before removing Mr. airpump.

Mud
08-17-07, 05:43 PM
If you do a search on ebay for 1990 Fleetwood Service Manual you will find several of the factory service manuals available. These are NOT the owners manual, they are what the dealer service dept used to repair the vehicle. They are invaluable for working on these older cars, especially in a small town where local help is probably limited.

"He's 30 and it's time he learned"
I do not mean to offend, but it seems that your son is well old enough to get on the forum and get help on his own assuming he has computer access. I only say this because it's the best way for him to learn and as you can see, info is readily available for help.