: Navigation System Map Disc - What is the latest version?

mike_1103
08-15-07, 01:41 PM
Folks,

I played with the Navigation System in our 2008 SRX and realized it might not be up-to-date.

I went to www.gmnavdisc.com (http://www.gmnavdisc.com) and entered my VIN, only to be told that the number was invalid or I do not have a Navigation System. I guess the system has not yet been updated since my SRX was built on July 16th.

I did a search with the make, model and year instead of the VIN and found out that there is an update available for the 2008 SRX:

Part No.: 25850927
Description: 2008 CH/GMC 900/SRX/DTS
Region: North America
Cost: $199.00
In Stock: No

I have two questions:

Why don't they ship the 2008 SRX with the latest maps?
How does the subscription program works? Will I have to wait one year to have the latest maps?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mike.

P.S.: On my Maps DVD I see Version 2.00 and GM p/n: 15931508

dkozloski
08-15-07, 05:09 PM
Call GMnavdisc.com by phone and they can answer your questions.

Lonnie45
08-18-07, 03:19 PM
Yes call GMnavdisc you get two free disc updates

ewill3rd
08-22-07, 03:00 PM
The nav disc update program has been eliminated for 2008 MY vehicles.
The disc is probably up to date at the time of production but I suspect there is a lag between when they are available and when they go into production units.

Call the nav disc center for any questions.

DVD Navigation Update Program
To improve customer satisfaction with factory-installed DVD Navigation Systems, General Motors offers a Navigation Disc Update Program for 2006 and 2007 model year vehicles. Offering GM customers new navigation DVDs will ensure that the customers have the latest information for their system. The data on the DVD map disc ages at a rate of 15-20% per year. As the data ages, the functionality of the navigation system declines. All navigation systems utilize the DVD disc for map and points of interest data.

The DVD Navigation Update Program policy has changed for the 2008 model year. 2008 model year vehicles are NOT eligible for free annual updates; however, a navigation DVD update disc can be purchased for $199 (USD) + shipping.

Navigation Disc Update Program Details:
• All 2006-2007 model year customers who purchase or lease GM vehicles (excluding Saab) with a factory-installed navigation system are eligible to receive two free annual updates.

- Owners will be contacted annually, on or about the anniversary of their vehicle delivery date.

- Owners must indicate that they want an update via a toll free number, or through the web.

- Owners will be contacted the second time at the second anniversary date of their delivery.

• 2008 model year vehicles are NOT eligible for free annual updates. 2008 model year customers may purchase a DVD map update for $199 (USD) + shipping. The DVD map updates are available annually at the beginning of the new model year.

• All certified used vehicle customers (Optimum in Canada) with a factory installed navigation system, who purchased their vehicle from April 2006 or later, will receive one free update after their delivery. Owners will receive a free update within 60 days of their vehicle purchase. If the certified used vehicle (Optimum in Canada) vehicle contains the latest disc, the free update will be sent at the time the disc is updated.

• Navigation discs will no longer be available through GMSPO.

- Dealers will be able to order a replacement DVD through the web or by contacting the GM Navigation Disc Center in the event a replacement DVD is required under warranty (for Saab, this applies to the 9-5 and 9-7X models).

- Owners of 2005 model year and prior vehicles can order an update or replacement via the web or toll free number at market price.

- Further information regarding the availability of updates for Saab certified pre-owned vehicles will be released in the near future.

• The GM Navigation Disc Center launched on March 15, 2006. There are two ways to obtain an updated disc.

- Via the web through gmnavdisc.com

- GM Navigation Disc Center 1-877-628-3472

- The GM Navigation Disc Center is also the center of expertise for navigation system questions

mike_1103
08-22-07, 08:00 PM
Thank you ewill3rd.

I didn't realize the Nav Disc Update Program was not available for 2008 MY.

I went back to http://www.gmnavdisc.com and noticed that my current disc (p/n 15931508) is the 2007 version. As you mentioned, there is probably a lag between their availability and their inclusion in production units.

Regards,

Mike.

ewill3rd
08-23-07, 07:21 AM
Mike,

They recently released that document to let us know.
I thought they would continue this program for a while but I guess not.

You are most welcome.

dkozloski
08-25-07, 08:12 PM
Mike,

They recently released that document to let us know.
I thought they would continue this program for a while but I guess not.

You are most welcome.
The NAV disc budget is so low that they are too cheap to include all the states in the data. Cadillac should hang their head in shame.

CadiGirl08
11-10-14, 10:57 AM
Yes call GMnavdisc you get two free disc updates
I know this thread is old but I was trying to update my nav in my 08 SRX and called gmnavdisc, this is not true. The disc is $179. Just trying to save someone time. Unless there's a secret to it, then let me know. ;)

rlh6805
11-11-14, 03:08 PM
I know this thread is old but I was trying to update my nav in my 08 SRX and called gmnavdisc, this is not true. The disc is $179. Just trying to save someone time. Unless there's a secret to it, then let me know. ;)

Back in 07, when the post was made, the car was new and the updated discs probably were free.