: Changing HG, will heads be ok?

97Concours1
08-14-07, 01:21 AM
I'm getting ready to put the engine back together after replacing the head gaskets. I'm wondering if the heads ever crack when the head gasket fails. I would like to just put it all back together, but I'm thinking the heads should be pressure checked for cracks. Has anyone ever seen heads go bad on Northstars?

Zorb750
08-14-07, 01:58 AM
Heads do not usually crack, though checking for warpage is always a good thing to do (and is incredibly easy!)

tateos
08-24-07, 08:00 PM
What Is The Easy Way To Check For Warping?

Ranger
08-24-07, 09:29 PM
Lay a straight edge across it.

zonie77
08-25-07, 02:50 AM
A construction level or a square may be straight enough. You are checking for straightness to thousandths of an inch.

If you see any gap slide the straightedge around and see if the gap moves.

tateos
08-26-07, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I will be doing the head gasket project, but not until the Fall when things cool down here in AZ. I haven't pulled the heads yet, but do you think I have to remove the camshafts to get the valves out of the way to check for flatness? Some are always open and protruding, right? Sorry if this is a dumb question - I have done several engine jobs, but this is my first Northstar and also my first in maybe around 20 years!

Richard Moore

zonie77
08-26-07, 02:51 PM
You don't have to pull the cams. The valves don't interfere.

97Concours1
09-04-07, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I will be doing the head gasket project, but not until the Fall when things cool down here in AZ. I haven't pulled the heads yet, but do you think I have to remove the camshafts to get the valves out of the way to check for flatness? Some are always open and protruding, right? Sorry if this is a dumb question - I have done several engine jobs, but this is my first Northstar and also my first in maybe around 20 years!

Richard Moore

20 years! Boy, are you in for a surprize! I did a lot of pulling engines, etc. 20 years ago too. Back then I could have an engine out and on an engine stand in 4 to 6 hours. That was old school stuff. This Northstar is a whole new ball game. Plan on at least a week to get it out, a week to get it fixed, and a week to put it all back together. Take lots and lots of pictures BEFORE disassembly so you can figure out how it goes back together. Whenever possible, put the bolt back in the hole that it came out of as you go. Don't just throw them all in a big pan. This will make reassembly much easier. The edges of the heads are razor sharp so wear gloves when handling them. Good luck.

AJxtcman
09-04-07, 08:29 AM
20 years! Boy, are you in for a surprize! I did a lot of pulling engines, etc. 20 years ago too. Back then I could have an engine out and on an engine stand in 4 to 6 hours. That was old school stuff. This Northstar is a whole new ball game. Plan on at least a week to get it out, a week to get it fixed, and a week to put it all back together. Take lots and lots of pictures BEFORE disassembly so you can figure out how it goes back together. Whenever possible, put the bolt back in the hole that it came out of as you go. Don't just throw them all in a big pan. This will make reassembly much easier. The edges of the heads are razor sharp so wear gloves when handling them. Good luck.

00+ Deville and Seville takes about 45 minute to have the powertrain unit out.:eek: This is not splitting it and having the engine on the stand

Ranger
09-07-07, 06:35 PM
45 Minutes! Boy would I love to watch that.

JC316
09-07-07, 06:40 PM
This Northstar is a whole new ball game. Plan on at least a week to get it out, a week to get it fixed, and a week to put it all back together. Take lots and lots of pictures BEFORE disassembly so you can figure out how it goes back together. Whenever possible, put the bolt back in the hole that it came out of as you go. Don't just throw them all in a big pan. This will make reassembly much easier. The edges of the heads are razor sharp so wear gloves when handling them. Good luck.

It took me 2 days to get the engine out, 4 days to get the engine fixed, 2 days to get the engine reassembled, and 2 days to get it back in the car. The rest of the month was waiting for the damned parts.

My head had a factory crack in it, no way could it have been caused my something else, the other one was fine.