: change fluid + filter for transmission

hchan911
08-13-07, 07:22 PM
Hi all :
I have 92000 miles on my 2004 SRX V6 and it's time to change fluid and filter for the transmission. Have anybody here do it befofe and how hard is it ? If you do, please educated me how :worship: or should I take it to the dealer have them do it. Any thought
Regards

raysirx
05-05-08, 06:05 PM
did you ever figure out what filter (part #) the 4L40-E AWD transmission takes?
The local trans shop told me it is either Deep Pan or shallow Pan, not sure which one is correct.

Autobahn_Burner
05-06-08, 08:46 AM
Your transmission has NO dipstick. Unless you have a device to pump-in fresh lubricant into the designated small whole on the side of the transmission case, after re-assembly. I would not attempt this repair. Good luck.

Infrared in Idaho
05-06-08, 09:09 PM
Might as well have the dealer do it with the 100,000 servicing.

raysirx
05-09-08, 09:45 AM
FYI I changed my Filter in my 2004 SRX AWD (82,000 miles). The magnet in the pan had about 1/8 of metallic dust, the fluid looked like dark brown used motor oil, not your typical Dexron 3 pink. The transmission shop that sold me the replacement filter ($20) told me that the 5L40-E(V6) and 5L50-E (v8), are made by GM/Opel in France. The same trans is used in certain BMW, Accura's and other GM Products.
There were 3 filters that fit the 5L40E, our's take the Shallow Pan version part # FLT-55710.

In 2006 GM began using Dexron VI, for extended fluid life. It is backwards compatible for Dexron III vehicles.

Our Pan has a torx drain plug which makes for an easy drain. I measured just over 6 quarts coming out of the pan. The pan gasket is reusable.
There is a fill plug (also torx) just above the pan on the Drivers side. You WILL need a pump to replace the fluid. (I used a Harbor Freight suction gun to install 6.5 quarts.
I can Email you a PDF for the fluid checking procedure from a GM TSB.

Note you can only install about 4 quarts before you have to start the car, to run the trans pump. With the car running you can install the remainder of the fluid untill it begins to drip out of the fill hole (Vehicle must be level) .

Dexron VI is $6 Quart (Pennzoil) at autozone.

Now I am going to get the remaing fluid flushed, with the knowledge that my filter and Magnet are clean.

johnb21
05-15-08, 08:16 AM
Ray, u had posted a comment on changing tranny fuild. Do you still have the GM TSB on this procedure? Also, no gasket replacement needed? I have an 05 V8 with 80k miles. Thank you.
John

wgreenidge
11-08-08, 11:41 AM
WOW RAYSIRX!!! Thanks for that... I have been on the phone with Napa autozone Orilley and the dealership on changing the trany filter and fluid myself. to no avail except autozone had it for 30$ and dealership had it 93$.... but Now one knows how to change it. Also can I have that TSB bulliten that you have emailed to winstongreenidge@gmail.com

G32006SRX
11-11-08, 12:55 PM
What is your fluid life % on the display after 80,000-100,000 miles? How about others with less miles? Mine is at 87% after 42,000 miles.

The Wrench
11-11-08, 01:04 PM
Tranny fluid life display? How do you find that? I have an '08, and didn't know that was available, except for the engine oil.

tks,
DG

sgilbert
11-11-08, 03:05 PM
57k miles, and I show 72% tranny fluid life left.

equildon
02-18-09, 04:34 PM
Can I get a copy of the GM TSB for changing the transmission fluid in my 05 sts?

srx2005
02-18-09, 08:05 PM
2005 AWD V6 78% life left @ 41k miles

George Ware
02-19-09, 10:57 PM
2004 AWD V8 75% life left @ 43k miles :cool2:

George Ware

raysirx
02-20-09, 09:22 AM
I can no longer get to the website that had the TSB as it is password protected.

Log on to your county public library, they may have a automotive database online called EBSCO, It is there for free, but you need a library card number to log in.

It is not the easiest trans to work on, There is a drain plug (torx), measure what comes out and put the same amout back in.

The hard part is that you need to pump the fluid in to a plug that is level with the frame rail (A funnel and gravity won't work).

I replaced the filter while tha pan was off as well
I also upgraded to dextron vI

once it is back together and running their is another inspection plug that can be removed to verify if it over or under filled

maikolo
02-25-09, 03:18 PM
I have a 2005 SRX V-6 recently purchased. It has just over 84,000 miles on it and is showing 36% on the transmission. I expect to have a dealer change the fluid and filter but am getting all sorts of prices to have it done. Some have told me that just a flush is needed as there is a screen wire (no filter) while others have said there is a filter and it will cost over $100 for the kit and nearly three hours of labor (bringing the cost over $400.). What has your experience been and what sort of maintenance should I be aware of with the mileage?

raysirx
02-27-09, 08:53 PM
no screen
re read post #5 for filter part #
I would think 1 hr labor

05SRX-Redline
02-27-09, 10:20 PM
05 V6 Fluid life at 81% with 27,500 miles.

max77srx
05-13-09, 08:01 PM
I am somewhat confused. I am going to my dealer to perform Maintenance I service at 28500 and I was informed that the transmission fluid will need to be replaced as well. I was told that here in Fla this is recommended service at approximately every 25000 miles. My computer shows 83% life left. This gentleman also mentioned the power steering fluid (I checked it and it looks good to me). I live in Tampa Bay area and I service my SRX at Dimmitt Cadillac. According to the Owner's Manual, the transmission fluid should not require any action until 100.000 service (or 50000 in sever driving conditions). Please advise. Thank you.

Jake's SRX
05-13-09, 09:09 PM
I can no longer get to the website that had the TSB as it is password protected.

Log on to your county public library, they may have a automotive database online called EBSCO, It is there for free, but you need a library card number to log in.

It is not the easiest trans to work on, There is a drain plug (torx), measure what comes out and put the same amout back in.

The hard part is that you need to pump the fluid in to a plug that is level with the frame rail (A funnel and gravity won't work).

once it is back together and running their is another inspection plug that can be removed to verify if it over or under filled

here try this...scroll to auto repair. Worked for me...

http://www.sjcpls.org/content/databases

JD2004
03-02-10, 10:12 AM

once it is back together and running their is another inspection plug that can be removed to verify if it over or under filled-----Exactly where is that inspection plug? Just replaced ATF-fluid, but I`m not 100% surtain that i put the correct amount of fluid back in.
thanks,

JD2004
03-03-10, 04:16 PM
Nobody knows where that inspection plug is? I would like to be sure that I didn`t pump too much fluid in. Should the car be idling when checking fluid level? Help is appreciated.

FYI: replacing all (not just draining) ATF-fluid with lucas semisynthetic sure-shift ATF fluid made the shuddering at 30-35 mph go away. I do sometimes still have a slight, almost not noticeable shudder while going up grades at 50-60mph with cruisecontroll on. Car shifts a lot easier and more precise with the new fluid in. The old ATF was like black and thin old motoroil, with oil life being 57%.

raysirx
03-04-10, 08:19 AM
Email me at towaco@gmail.com and I will send you a copy of the 2 page PDF
that descibes the fluild level checking process

I can't figure out how to post it

FYI GM service bulletin 04-07-30-012

LXWXHT
03-04-10, 12:00 PM
I just pulled mine into an empty field by the house pulled the plug and emptied it. Then refilled as outlined above. Simple.

raysirx
03-04-10, 01:35 PM
I found the bulletin here:
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/227hx-for-a-2003-cadiliac-cts-we-drained-the-transmission-fluid

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/227hx-for-a-2003-cadiliac-cts-we-drained-the-transmission-fluid (http://www.justanswer.com/questions/227hx-for-a-2003-cadiliac-cts-we-drained-the-transmission-fluid)

JD2004
03-04-10, 01:41 PM
Raysirx, thank you very much! People like you make this forum great!

The Wrench
03-04-10, 07:30 PM
Just FYI.
I glanced through my '08 service manual and noted the following info.

The 5-speed tranny holds 9.0 qts after a complete overhaul - draining and removing the pan and filter will remove 7.4 qts. Not too bad if that's true.

The 6-speed holds 11.2 qts after overhaul - draining pan and filter removes only 6.7 qts. Hmmmmmmm.

There is no mention or dwg of a torque converter drain plug, but it states converter capacity at approx 3 qts.

The filter appears to have 2 ring-type seals on the tube that attaches to the bottom of the valve body.

The pan torque is 8 lb ft.

The 5-speed level-inspect plug is on the left rear just above the pan gasket.
The 6-speed plug appears to be on the BOTTOM of the pan at the rear, where the pan slopes up and becomes shallower. There appears to be a little tube sticking straight up in the pan in that area, which maybe acts as a damn to set the fluid level when the plug is pulled? Weird.

DG

david tyre
10-04-14, 05:40 PM
06'srx...trans filter spacer bushing fell out before I realized it.....still have it and needs to be in there cause slipping on incline....exactly where does it go

BEARBAIT1973
10-04-14, 05:56 PM
Had my trans. fluid and filter changed at 50k. Mech. said fluid was very dirty and wouldn't make it to 100k as specified in owners manual. He used synth. and charged me $180. Didn't think that was too bad.

glake89
10-04-14, 06:00 PM
There are 2 seals on the tube of the filter, at upper end, #57.

david tyre
10-04-14, 07:42 PM
So in other words the two seals go in first up in the trans tube then the plastic spacer ring fits flush against the bottom of trans housing ....correct?

david tyre
10-04-14, 07:42 PM
If so thanks a million....

glake89
10-05-14, 10:48 AM
Can't say, never had mine apart. All SM says is seals go on filter tube before assembly. You did fill trans. with engine running, didn't you?

david tyre
10-05-14, 11:06 AM
Not annitially til I got it full as I could before I cranked it but this lil spacer thing goes on filter neck too pretty sure cause after I took the old filter out I still had to pull both the old seals out so the spacer thing was prob stuck to the bottom of the trans cause it fell out when I removed old filter and I didn't even know it....but seems to have a ring spot on bottom of trans port that it seems to fit perfext ....gonna attempt to knock it out today if it will warm up a lil more

Silent-Chris
10-13-14, 12:25 AM
I just did a filter replacement today. I put 5qts back in. Should I add more fluid??? It wasn't leaking out of the fill hole.

SFVetteman
10-13-14, 01:22 AM
With the engine runing, fill until it starts to run out.

Bill

Silent-Chris
10-13-14, 06:30 PM
Thank you Bill!!!