: Dealership screw job: I need help guys!

onewhippedpuppy
08-13-07, 07:21 PM
Ok guys, I need some help. I have the tip in/tip out clunk that affects some of the early 2004 AWD V8 models. Had it into the dealer once, where they did the reflash per TSB#1576962. Problem has diminished, but still appearent. Took it back for a second time, took a tech for a ride. He, of course, attempted to say it was normal, torque converter clutch engaging was his "thought".:bigroll: I refused to accept this, so the service manager had him take it to the shop to verify the transfer case part number. When the tech came out, he did not come back to the desk, but instead went into their office. When he came back, it was with a printed out statement with a part number on it. This part number was the PN for the updated transfer case, #24233827. Big shock.

So thus far, I'm a bit worried. There is no service history of the transfer case being replaced, and my reading on here revealed that SRX V8 AWD models prior to 5/14/04 have the old model of transfer case, PN 12587968 or 12582279. So I broke out the handy inspection mirror and my ramps, and looked for myself. It is a B!tch to see, but I'm 95% sure the PN on my transfer case is 12582279. I can tell you for a fact, it is not the PN for the updated transfer case.

So, my thought is the tech simply looked up the PN on the computer, instead of going to the trouble to craning around underneath my SRX with a mirror. I called the service manager back, he is going to look into it and get back to me tomorrow. I decided I'll try being nice one more time, then I go over his head.

What I need is some support for there being a new low-lash transfer case recomended to fix my issue. There are no TSBs that call for transfer case replacement, but there are owners on the forum that have had the new case installed and their problems solved. Anyone give me further information, so I can put these a-holes in their place?:)

Background reading:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/31533-drive-train-backlash-clunk.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/111934-awd-drivetrain-lash-any-true-fixes.html

john d
08-14-07, 01:45 AM
OWP - Dealers need Cadillac/GM approval for most warranty work. I'd guess that there are some dealers that have some level of warranty work they can perform without prior approval and others that need approval to pass gas after a lunch of triple bean burritos.
There also may be some arrangement of charge back to a dealer if repairs exceed a certain amount just like the sales departments get kickbacks from the factory if they reach or exceed a certain sales goal.
Or maybe the service departments reimbursement for certain work doesn't pay for the expense.
Could be any of those reasons or more that you are getting what appears to be the brush-off.
If the dealer denial dance continues I'd suggest you ask for a meeting with the Cadillac District Service Manager and have him/her put your SRX on the lift and point out the transfer case part number.
If that doesn't work get an attorney...don't delay as this is a solveable problem that Cadillac knows about and maybe hopes you'll dry up and blow away.
I do know that I had to go through arbitration before the transfer case was replaced. My arbitration focus was to restore the ECM program that came on the car from the factory plus the drive train excessive lash and other assorted issues that couldn't seem to get fixed after multiple service trips be fixed or a buyback.
Mediator ruled against me and accepted Cadillac/GM's position but ultimately GM replaced the transfer case and fixed the other issues too except the ECM program remains screwed.
Hope you can get the new design transfer case without all the BS.
Let us know what happens.

onewhippedpuppy
08-14-07, 08:44 AM
John, thanks for the reply. Hopefully I don't have to suffer through the BS you did. I have decided that I will give our service manager one more chance to play nice, then I'll go to his boss, etc. The fact that they blatantly lied to me annoys me to no end, and reinforces why I typically do my own work. I have NEVER had a good dealership experience. Maybe I need to buy a Lexus.

Was there any documentation for the new transfer case being a low-lash design? Right now they act as if they can't find any information on there being a low-lash transfer case.

john d
08-14-07, 01:50 PM
Call the parts department and give them the two part numbers and ask what the price and description is in their catalog listings.

inline6
08-14-07, 02:26 PM
The part number on the case and the part number for the assembly are not likely to be the same. If you can get the guys in the parts department to help you , it might be worthwhile to spend so time with them.

onewhippedpuppy
08-14-07, 03:55 PM
I already have proof that 12582279 was superceded by 24233827, thanks to an online parts catalog.

I talked to the rep today, he admitted that the tech had not actually checked the transfer case PN, and that he had "had a talk with him". Great. He claims his parts rep is researching the difference between the two part numbers, and they have a call into GM tech support.

onewhippedpuppy
08-14-07, 04:02 PM
I also called another local dealer, 12582279 does not show up in their computer. That is the reason given for the parts guys at dealership #1 to do some research, so he actually didn't lie about something. The new PN does not have any notes about being an improved or low-lash design. Of course, typically when a new part replaces an old one, they simply remove one and insert another, so that does not suprise me.

john d
08-14-07, 05:18 PM
I talked to the rep today, he admitted that the tech had not actually checked the transfer case PN, and that he had "had a talk with him".
Devastatingly incomprehensible from a Mr. Goodwrench not to mention from the ELITE Cadillac group.
BBB would be interested I bet..
Do you have a local TV investigative reporter that would be interested in this story?
I think a letter to GM Chairman Rick Wagoner and design chief Bob Lutz is in order! ! !

You bought a GM Crown Jewel that retailed new for close to $60k and the tech wouldn't even read a few numbers to help correct what may be the manufactures defect!!!!!!

What won't they do, or not do, next? It's attorney time.

onewhippedpuppy
08-14-07, 05:22 PM
From what I've seen, BBB is at best absolutely impotent. None the less, I will file with them if my local dealer will not resolve my issue. Oh, and I'm am about one day from bitching my way up the chain of command. This is my first Cadillac, and if things don't improve, probably my last.

onewhippedpuppy
08-15-07, 03:59 PM
Anyone give me some support here?

john d
08-15-07, 05:34 PM
Anyone give me some support here?
What do you have in mind? ? ?

onewhippedpuppy
08-15-07, 05:54 PM
Something to support transfer case replacement. All I have is advice from an internet forum, relevant to ONE SRX. I need some sort of proof that this is a common issue, and that the new transfer case is the fix. All I have been able to come up with is information stating that the new transfer case PN superceded the original PN. That's pretty thin.

I took the director of service for a ride, then he drove. He admits that there is a clunk, but does not know if it is serious enough for GM to warrant any repairs. As of right now, he said that there are no service bulletins regarding the clunk other than the reflash TSB. He is calling the GM engineering help line to see if they have any record of similar issues, and to see if he can get permission to repair. Doubtful.

If this is the level of support GM provides for their top-tier models, no wonder their market share is slipping. If it were a BMW, they would be replacing every damn part in sight to fix the issue. I will be VERY hesitant to purchase another Cadillac, and it certainly won't be brand new. What good is a warranty if they won't fix anything?

john d
08-15-07, 06:38 PM
Something to support transfer case replacement. All I have is advice from an internet forum, relevant to ONE SRX. I need some sort of proof that this is a common issue, and that the new transfer case is the fix. All I have been able to come up with is information stating that the new transfer case PN superceded the original PN. That's pretty thin.

I took the director of service for a ride, then he drove. He admits that there is a clunk, but does not know if it is serious enough for GM to warrant any repairs. As of right now, he said that there are no service bulletins regarding the clunk other than the reflash TSB. He is calling the GM engineering help line to see if they have any record of similar issues, and to see if he can get permission to repair. Doubtful.

If this is the level of support GM provides for their top-tier models, no wonder their market share is slipping. If it were a BMW, they would be replacing every damn part in sight to fix the issue. I will be VERY hesitant to purchase another Cadillac, and it certainly won't be brand new. What good is a warranty if they won't fix anything?
A Forum member called 10cars sent me this information about their transfer case. You might try calling this dealer/service tech for the information you need. With 10 cars and me that makes TWO SRX's getting the low lash transfer case design.
"My good dealer is Capital Cadillac in Smyrna GA - They replaced the transfer case part #2423387, K4410 (?) transfer case assembly replace (107 W4 - 2.60) unsure of what these numbers are. FC: 6C, Count: 5. Transfer case part # may also be 24233827. Also says : "6151 K4410 2.6 Replaced Transfer Case Assembly per E. P." Eddie Priest was the technician who worked on the car, but he said he spoke with the area service rep who gave authorization."
Let us know if this helped.

onewhippedpuppy
08-15-07, 09:19 PM
Thanks, I'll see if that is of any help. I sent a PM to the guy on your thread that seemed "in the know", but haven't received a response.

john d
08-29-07, 10:21 PM
A Forum member called 10cars sent me this information about their transfer case. You might try calling this dealer/service tech for the information you need. With 10 cars and me that makes TWO SRX's getting the low lash transfer case design.
"My good dealer is Capital Cadillac in Smyrna GA - They replaced the transfer case part #2423387, K4410 (?) transfer case assembly replace (107 W4 - 2.60) unsure of what these numbers are. FC: 6C, Count: 5. Transfer case part # may also be 24233827. Also says : "6151 K4410 2.6 Replaced Transfer Case Assembly per E. P." Eddie Priest was the technician who worked on the car, but he said he spoke with the area service rep who gave authorization."
Let us know if this helped.
Hey onewhippedpuppy- Did it help?