: Best portable navigation?

JimmyH
08-13-07, 05:48 PM
I was wondering if any of you use these. After I got my V, the thing my wife loves the most about it is the navigation. So I thought about putting one in her pilot, but that is alot of work, and most of the reviews I have read state how confusing the radio part of the head units are.

So I started considering portable. That way we could use it in other cars as well. I have been looking at the Magellan Maestro 4050 (http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navigation/magellan-maestro-4050/4505-3430_7-32382702.html?tag=txt).

Anyone care to weigh in?

wait4me6920
08-13-07, 06:01 PM
Not familiar with that unit, but we have a Garmin 660 that we use in the Cruiser. Actually, we take it most everywhere since it's so slim that you can slip it in your shirt pocket. Real handy in large cities away from the car, on foot or in a cab. Also easy to do a search for various points of interest while sitting in Starbucks, wherever.

It's gotten to the point that I prefer it to the built in units in the Caddie & Audi. Lots of extra features which you can check out on www.garmin.com.

nikon
08-13-07, 07:10 PM
we have the maestro 4040 for all intensive purposes it's the same unit...only difference is I had to buy the traffic kit separately. We LOVE the new unit, were coming from a Magellan Roadmate 760...it is well worth the money, check to see if the traffic is offered in your area, if not then you might as well save a buck and buy the 4040. But I say go for it, we love ours. You can search by zip-code, city name, or just the state..another cool feature is the bluetooth for your cell-phone it displays the # calling you and you talk through it (like a handsfree kit) it's also battery powered which is nice if your just going to be temporarily using it in another car. I have ours setup on ignition power and it turns it self on/off with the car. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

RightTurn
08-13-07, 07:22 PM
I have a Garmin C340 and it's the poo.

wait4me6920
08-13-07, 08:16 PM
we have the maestro 4040 for all intensive purposes it's the same unit...only difference is I had to buy the traffic kit separately. We LOVE the new unit, were coming from a Magellan Roadmate 760...it is well worth the money, check to see if the traffic is offered in your area, if not then you might as well save a buck and buy the 4040. But I say go for it, we love ours. You can search by zip-code, city name, or just the state..another cool feature is the bluetooth for your cell-phone it displays the # calling you and you talk through it (like a handsfree kit) it's also battery powered which is nice if your just going to be temporarily using it in another car. I have ours setup on ignition power and it turns it self on/off with the car. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Yes, the Garmin 660 also has the traffic alert system, as well as bluetooth, fm transmitter, mp3 player, photo albumn, etc.

Probably hard to go wrong with either one. Check out some of the cnet & other reviews.

codewize
08-13-07, 08:22 PM
The Garmin 660 has been rated the best by every reviewer there is. Not cheap but the best.

JimmyH
08-13-07, 09:17 PM
garmin seems to be the favorite; what I like about the Magellan 4050 over the 4040 is that it has voice recognition. and I dont need mp3 or photo viewing. And her car already has a speakerphone.

but thanks for the tips everyone. I still might go with the Kenwood DNX7100, and add the ipod integration, bluetooth and backup camera. All said it will set me back about $1500 and probably take an entire weekend to install, versus $700 for the Magellan and a couple hours to route the charger behind the dash. So I have a decision to make.

wait4me6920
08-13-07, 09:46 PM
Well, if you change your mind & decide to go Magellan 4050 or Garmin 660 check out www.comparemaster.com. You can pick up the 4050 for $545 or the 660 for $565. At the time I bought mine from them, it was about the best price out there - fast service & a top rating in customer satisfaction.

If you can do without some of the bells & whistles, check out the Garmin 650 - they have it for $434. You lose bluetooth & traffic alert sytem - otherwise it's the same unit as the 660. Hard to beat if you're not gonna go with the big bucks unit. Also check out the ratings of the Kenwood before you cough up the bucks - some of these 'do everything' units do manage to do everything, but don't do a really great job of anything.

JimmyH
08-13-07, 10:05 PM
I know, the kenwood was reviewed as having the best navigation interface in cnet's opinion, yet the media interface was clumsy. I might check one out at an audio store first.

Does the garmin have voice recognition? That is what I am really interested in. I can do without the bluetooth and traffic. I have read the realtime traffic is a joke anyway, and I would not plan on spending $50 a year for something I get free from AM radio.

wait4me6920
08-13-07, 10:57 PM
Yes, both the 650 & 660 do the voice thing & you can download additional voices from garmin's website if you don't like the default voices.

Yeah, mine came with the traffic alert thing, but I don't live in a big city so it doesn't make much sense for me. It did come with a trial period & we drove to Dallas for a visit before the trial ran out. It did point out some traffic snarls far enough in advance to reroute... But, as I said, out here in the sticks it doesn't make sense for me.

To me the portability is a winner. While we were in Dallas we were able to plan all our tourist type stuff right in bro-in-law's house while sipping coffee.

dkozloski
08-14-07, 12:42 AM
I use a PALM IIIc with a DeLorme GPS receiver and software. The whole works is less than $200. Software updates are regular and are about $40.

JimmyH
08-14-07, 11:27 AM
originally I was thinking a pda with the software, but this is for the wife, and it will be too complicated for her. simplicity is what I am going for, and garmin or magellan seem to be the consensus on that.

96Fleetwood
08-14-07, 11:39 AM
I have the Garmin M5. It is an integrated PDA/Nav unit.

I use it at the hospital for inputting patient information, bluetooth sharing with other doctors, and differential diagnosis.

Then I get in my car, plug it into the Garmin mount and then use it as my Navigation unit.

Overall, the best piece of electronic equipment I have purchased :thumbsup:

CadillacSTS42005
08-14-07, 09:07 PM
Garmin Nuvo 200
its the best bang for buck unit we sell
and is right now on sale at best buy for 299 (usually 350)

JimmyH
10-29-07, 10:40 PM
update

well, after alot of research, I went with the Garmin Nuvi 350. It was alot cheaper than the 600 series, and the only difference is the screen width, which seems pointless.

I like this one because it announces street names, something alot of the units do not. And if you deviate from the calculated route, it recalculates very fast. When I did not make a right turn, it recalculated and told me to turn right at the next street which was less than a block. The nav in my CTS-V is not that fast. I also like how it zooms in and out automatically. Very nice. The Caddy nav does not do that either. It has that split screen thing which I thought was stupid so I disabled it.

The only thing nicer about the Caddy nav, is her voice is tremendously sexier then the Nuvi's. She sounds like an ugly robot. (I know, you all think I should be turned on by robots.)

hueterm
10-29-07, 11:09 PM
The 350 is probably the best choice for what you're looking for, if you don't need Bluetooth. And yes, the voices are kind of eehhhh...

Playdrv4me
10-30-07, 12:19 AM
Garmin Nuvi. ShopNBC had the one with Bluetooth, Street Announcement and something else last night for 399, I believe it is the step-up model from the 350, the 360.

Jesda
10-30-07, 01:07 AM
http://www.usatourist.com/photos/tips/roadatlas1c.jpg

Because the Range Rover's navigation is trash.

CadillacSTS42005
10-30-07, 11:27 AM
Jimmy allow me to help narrow down what you like it to do please answer these ?s and ill narrow it down (i work for Best Buy car audio and am trained on all the units)

1. Do you want to be able to seach by ZIP code or is searching by street and city good enough

2. Do you want it to say street names (ie turn left on Smith St or turn right on Bates St) or is simply turn left in 20 feet ok?

3. Do you want bluetooth?

4. Do you want the ability to view photos and store music on it?

5. Do you want a small or bigger screen?

CadillacSTS42005
10-30-07, 11:28 AM
update

well, after alot of research, I went with the Garmin Nuvi 350. It was alot cheaper than the 600 series, and the only difference is the screen width, which seems pointless.

I like this one because it announces street names, something alot of the units do not. And if you deviate from the calculated route, it recalculates very fast. When I did not make a right turn, it recalculated and told me to turn right at the next street which was less than a block. The nav in my CTS-V is not that fast. I also like how it zooms in and out automatically. Very nice. The Caddy nav does not do that either. It has that split screen thing which I thought was stupid so I disabled it.

The only thing nicer about the Caddy nav, is her voice is tremendously sexier then the Nuvi's. She sounds like an ugly robot. (I know, you all think I should be turned on by robots.)

oh well never mind hahaha

dkozloski
10-30-07, 11:41 AM
http://www.usatourist.com/photos/tips/roadatlas1c.jpg

Because the Range Rover's navigation is trash.
Next best thing to having a girl friend that's a local.

JimmyH
10-30-07, 12:18 PM
thanks anyway Jay!

anyone ever see that commercial, I think for the high mileage oil, they are comparing a brand new car, to an old
high mileage one

the new car has the latest cutting edge alarm system, the old one not so cutting edge (dog sitting on the seat) the new car has a 3d navigation system in dash, the old one has 2d navigation (scene cuts to a folded up map sitting on the passenger seat)

that commercial always makes me laugh

dkozloski
10-30-07, 02:00 PM
I never met a traveling salesman that didn't have a Rand McNally atlas in his stuff.

RocketFast321
10-30-07, 10:56 PM
I wish i saw this a little sooner. Radio Shack had the TomTom One on sell for $199. But it is nice to have a drunk Ozzy Osbourne telling me where to go.

CadillacSTS42005
10-31-07, 10:00 AM
np Jimmy
just sorry i was too late to catch ya lol

JimmyH
10-31-07, 12:04 PM
I think I might have come up with an idea for your sig Jay. Do you have any other pictures of your Seville? Side profile pictures in particular?